The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What a load of baloney about “go back to work if you think it is safe to do so"

Isn’t it your job as PM to look at the data and provide measures and give guidance for the public to ease this lockdown?

Isn’t it the PM’s job to protect the public?

Hilarious that he is putting the onus on the general public to let them go back to work, with zero guidance on public behaviour, still nothing about masks. You cannot social distance on public transport, especially in rush hour.

If people go back to their old routine, you get the same result. We’ve had 40,000 deaths in 3 months. We would be lucky if we only get another 40,000 deaths in the next 3 months if we go back to the same habits.

Habits needs to change, you can’t just go to work because you think it is safe and you need to wear masks in public! Even the White House have to wear masks now.

I think Rob-nikon is spot on , it seems to me that the government is trying to please people by lifting lock down a little but it's too early to do that and may well take us backwards .

Rob.

I don't think they are trying to please people, its a conservative government they know the economy is absolutely screwed.

Which means no tax money coming in, massive amounts of money going out. There will be millions unemployed, a high percentage of people who are on furlough now are in for a shock when they go back to work and the company they work for doesn't exist any more. While wages are a huge business cost not many can afford to cover other business costs with no income.

Last edited:
Q for A9 owners out there. Does the new body arrive with a seal on the back screen? I'm asking because mine just arrived (late) and neither the box was sealed or any kind of protecting sealing on any parts of the camera body. Dirt in the box too, which was also worrying. Thinking I may have received a display item. haven't turned it on yet. Thanks.

Q for A9 owners out there. Does the new body arrive with a seal on the back screen? I'm asking because mine just arrived (late) and neither the box was sealed or any kind of protecting sealing on any parts of the camera body. Dirt in the box too, which was also worrying. Thinking I may have received a display item. haven't turned it on yet. Thanks.

I can't remember if there was any seals on mine, I don't think there was, the camera was in a little white bag/cover type thing. There definitely wasn't any dirt though.

I can't remember if there was any seals on mine, I don't think there was, the camera was in a little white bag/cover type thing. There definitely wasn't any dirt though.

Ok, well that's more reassuring, Yes, came in white cotton bag and looks perfect. My nikon gear has always had protective seals on screens. The dirt isn't bad, perhaps just from a checking of box contents. But again, most other gear I receive new comes in a sealed box. Anyway, I'm sure it's all fine. Off to play with it now.... at last!

Ok, well that's more reassuring, Yes, came in white cotton bag and looks perfect. My nikon gear has always had protective seals on screens. The dirt isn't bad, perhaps just from a checking of box contents. But again, most other gear I receive new comes in a sealed box. Anyway, I'm sure it's all fine. Off to play with it now.... at last!

Where did you buy it from?

Last edited:
None of the Sony bodies have seals i.e. protective films on them. The box is sometimes sealed, sometimes not

Thanks guys, The only sealed box was the 70-200mm f/2.8. I'm good to go, first pics on here tomorrow. There's a kingfisher resting spot near us. Might do the early morning wait...

What a load of baloney about “go back to work if you think it is safe to do so"

Isn’t it your job as PM to look at the data and provide measures and give guidance for the public to ease this lockdown?

Isn’t it the PM’s job to protect the public?

Hilarious that he is putting the onus on the general public to let them go back to work, with zero guidance on public behaviour, still nothing about masks. You cannot social distance on public transport, especially in rush hour.

If people go back to their old routine, you get the same result. We’ve had 40,000 deaths in 3 months. We would be lucky if we only get another 40,000 deaths in the next 3 months if we go back to the same habits.

Habits needs to change, you can’t just go to work because you think it is safe and you need to wear masks in public! Even the White House have to wear masks now.

But there isn't zero guidance, it's there it's just that some would rather pretend it isn't there (er...masks? Look it up, watch the DIY vid like I did) and instead take note of Twitter or Facebook. No matter who's PM they can't do a risk assessment for every workplace in the country including how the workforce get there and home again and the fact is that no matter what the government do they're going to be whinged at and critisised by some. Some will be deserved but some will just be mindless noise.

I think one thing we have learned is that some seem to have zero common sense and actually some are just Darwin Awards waiting to happen. Street Parties? Group Hugs? You couldn't make this up. Some people have no sense at all and some are just selfish and many will need their arses wiping over this so sadly I think whoever is PM/the government they need to treat the population as the brain dead twits that some clearly are and really lay the law down. That'll be unpopular and expensive but it'll fulfil the PM's role to "protect the public" from C19 at least.

You need to treat everyone with zero common sense, purely because how easy this can be spread (as strong as the weakest link etc). So you don’t put the onus on the public, the public by an large is stupid. Individual can be smart but the public are stupid.

Cut out all the “should” and replace it with “must”. Have no ambiguity in your speeches and interpretation.

Last edited:
My a9mkII did not have one .

You need to treat everyone with zero common sense, purely because how easy this can be spread. So you don’t put the onus on the public, the public by an large is stupid. Individual can be smart but the public are stupid.

It's a shame that the competent and those with functioning brains who could be trusted to get back to work and generate some wealth have to be lumped in with the group hug crowd but here we are. Unlike many I don't blame the government entirely, I also blame the media. They're not idiots but if they're not then that means that in some instances they're deliberately spreading fud.

Two things have really shocked me during this and it's not government incompetence or how wonderful the NHS is it's how some people have acted and the media too. I'd honestly never have thought the British could be so reckless, selfish and stupid although thinking about it I don't suppose the media really disappoint me as I suppose I already knew what a shower they are.

It's a shame that the competent and those with functioning brains who could be trusted to get back to work and generate some wealth have to be lumped in with the group hug crowd but here we are. Unlike many I don't blame the government entirely, I also blame the media. They're not idiots but if they're not then that means that in some instances they're deliberately spreading fud.

Two things have really shocked me during this and it's not government incompetence or how wonderful the NHS is it's how some people have acted and the media too. I'd honestly never have thought the British could be so reckless, selfish and stupid although thinking about it I don't suppose the media really disappoint me as I suppose I already knew what a shower they are.

the same bunch who voted for more years of austerity?

But there isn't zero guidance, it's there it's just that some would rather pretend it isn't there (er...masks? Look it up, watch the DIY vid like I did) and instead take note of Twitter or Facebook. No matter who's PM they can't do a risk assessment for every workplace in the country including how the workforce get there and home again and the fact is that no matter what the government do they're going to be whinged at and critisised by some. Some will be deserved but some will just be mindless noise.

I think one thing we have learned is that some seem to have zero common sense and actually some are just Darwin Awards waiting to happen. Street Parties? Group Hugs? You couldn't make this up. Some people have no sense at all and some are just selfish and many will need their arses wiping over this so sadly I think whoever is PM/the government they need to treat the population as the brain dead twits that some clearly are and really lay the law down. That'll be unpopular and expensive but it'll fulfil the PM's role to "protect the public" from C19 at least.
We’ve been told today we can go back to work but only to see urgent cases. I’ve got loads of PPE (not stuff the NHS needs) and done a full risk assessment but I’m not sure whether I want to go back or not. Unfortunately the decision is also financial and I’m not sure there’d be enough income and I’d be better off on furlough. Need to do some serious thinking over the next few days.

We’ve been told today we can go back to work but only to see urgent cases. I’ve got loads of PPE (not stuff the NHS needs) and done a full risk assessment but I’m not sure whether I want to go back or not. Unfortunately the decision is also financial and I’m not sure there’d be enough income and I’d be better off on furlough. Need to do some serious thinking over the next few days.

Pretty simple, if you can afford to, stay home. Your life is worth more than a few quid.

Pretty simple, if you can afford to, stay home. Your life is worth more than a few quid.
It’s a tough one tbh, I totally get what you’re saying but how long do you stay off until? Vaccinations are months and months away so COVID-19 will be a threat until the end of the year at least. Do we stay off work until then?

It’s really hard to know what to do, although I do think we have procedures in place so risk will be absolute minimum. Certainly far far less than going to the supermarket, or petrol station etc, I’d even suggest less than your average office type workplace will be.

I’m not rushing into any decisions but I do need to give it careful thought (y)

I don't know what line of work you are in and industries/services are all affected in different ways. There are some industries that can make things safe but there are certain industries where changes could potentially be made to let some of their work force return to work in a safe manner at a reduced company output. The issue is some companies will resist making changes to how they work where they can because the furlough scheme is available and its an easier route to take. I know of some companies/suppliers that we work with that completely shut up shop when they could potentially adapt their ways of working and have stayed open on a reduced service. Other companies have really stepped up and been really supportive whilst making it as safe as possible.

Its the adapting to new ways or doing things differently that I can see will be the sticking point for many companies. Some companies don't want to change from the way they have always done things as its what they know. Some of course can't make any changes that will allow them to reopen safely and thats where the furlough scheme should be used. Its a tough decision/choice to make.

Whilst I agree with this its not something that can be applied across the board as every case is very different. I work in the water industry and if we had shut up shop the whole country would be pretty screwed very quickly without water or sewage services! The same goes for other key worker activities like electricity, gas or internet- the general public would have been very annoyed if they didn't have any of them.

I do believe no one in any higher risk group through age, underlying health conditions or other risk factors should be put at risk by being forced to go to work. There was a sad article where a London transport worker was spat on and she's sadly died as she had underlying health conditions. If you ask me she shouldn't have been at work but then the person who did it should be charged with a criminal offence and quickly be taken through the courts as an example to others who may be stupid to do the same thing.

In the water industry we have had to adapt by turning to home working for office staff pretty much overnight, reducing the number of people that may come into contact with each other on sites and reducing services to essential activities whilst we review what we can do safely. We are lucky that a lot of operational work is carried out in the outdoors rather than in enclosed spaces like factories, but our huge offices have been pretty much closed down which I never thought I'd see. There was a point a few weeks back where we hit 3000+ remote working and the IT system was still pretty stable. Thats an amazing feat in itself as neither the remote working system or the company structure was ever design to have that many of the company working remotely at the same time. I'm lucky in that my role that I can home work but I'm also still out onsite doing essential work which does include meeting people. If I'm meeting others then we do it safely and probably better than the current guidelines of meeting others 1 on 1 outside your household as its mostly outdoors and we have PPE on. I know not all people are lucky to be in the same position as myself regarding working environment.

I'm not the government's biggest fan through all but to be fair to them they have started to put together guidance on how implement safe work spaces for different businesses:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-guidance-launched-to-help-get-brits-safely-back-to-work

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19

Company's will have to do some of the legwork themselves but I agree guidance for the general public needs to be short, concise and easy to follow. Its needs to be written taking into account of the lowest denominator where the British public is concerned as sadly in Britain if you make something idiot proof you just get a better class of idiot!

There are some people that are being stupid about the virus. I saw it at the weekend with the VE street parties in our village and talking to others at work this week. Thankfully it seems to be a small minority but thats still enough. The irony of VE celebrations whilst that generation is fighting for their lives in care homes across the country wasn't lost on me.

Regarding face covering and face mask lots of people don't seem to understand the different between the two and their application. Thats a worrying concern for me as face covering for the general public relies on 100% adherence as one person covering their face protects others rather than themselves. It only takes one idiot to ruin it for everyone. The other thing that annoys me is everyone thats wearing dust mask with one way valves in them. They might as well not wear a mask as the valve open when you breathe out (i.e. the main reason why the general public should cover their faces!).

Sorry that's bit of rant! Tomorrow I may charge the A9's battery and at least turn it on as I've not used the camera since before lockdown :(

It’s a tough one tbh, I totally get what you’re saying but how long do you stay off until? Vaccinations are months and months away so COVID-19 will be a threat until the end of the year at least. Do we stay off work until then?

It’s really hard to know what to do, although I do think we have procedures in place so risk will be absolute minimum. Certainly far far less than going to the supermarket, or petrol station etc, I’d even suggest less than your average office type workplace will be.

Thats the thing you can't fully remove all risks in anything (just look at driving yet we all see that as part of normal life) only take sensible precautions to mitigate those risks. I've had anxiety about going out onsite even though I've carried on working all the way through lockdown. I think the fear will cause even more deaths than the virus in the end. I've read about people who have had heart attacks or strokes yet won't go to hospital as they are worried about catching COVID-19 there.

Its the ones that won't go to work because they feel it will put them at risk doing that but don't mine trying to meet every man and their dog outside of work whilst taking zero precautions that I can't understand. Only you can make the right choice about whats right for yourself.

May be I am missing something but I don't really understand the fascination with finding a vaccine. Even if we had one tomorrow, how long does one think it'll take to vaccinate the entire world? Do we even have the manufacturing capabilities and man power to vaccinate people on a mass scale quickly enough? As an example how long did it take to rid the world of polio and it seems to be actually one of the easiest to vaccinate against in terms of admittance.

To me it seems like we should be spending efforts on an anti-viral drug that gives everyone good change of survival.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vaccinations are potentially years away not months away. They still aren’t even 100% sure how it is passed from person to person.

Vaccinations are potentially years away not months away. They still aren’t even 100% sure how it is passed from person to person.
What is your basis for saying that vaccinations are "potentially years away" ? If you mean that a world wide roll-out might take a long time then you may have a point but the development of a vaccine is the now the focus of the most concerted multinational effort ever seen in the history of medicine. It is certainly not beyond the imagination that this effort by the worlds greatest medical research institutions would bear fruit in the coming months. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
What is your basis for saying that vaccinations are "potentially years away" ? If you mean that a world wide roll-out might take a long time then you may have a point but the development of a vaccine is the now the focus of the most concerted multinational effort ever seen in the history of medicine. It is certainly not beyond the imagination that this effort by the worlds greatest medical research institutions would bear fruit in the coming months. Only time will tell.

Last night I had a long chat with someone who has sat in on quite a few of the cobra meetings that is what they said.

It is very concerning both my mother and my brother have stay at home letters. Based on the current N.I government plan that won't change until there is a vaccine.

Last edited:
We can't get people tested or provide people with ppe. I wouldn't be holding my breathe for a vaccine right now.

I feel very fortunate in able to do business as usual from my home, with only the added stress coming from home schooling being thrown into the mix. I've not been pushed into making a decision that may compromise my health so I can get paid.

However, with the government intention is to send the youngest of children back into school on the 1st of June. That's another one that has got people scratching their heads as to how that makes any sense at all. As it stands I won't be sending my daughter back in until im more confident it's safer to do so. I'll take the fines. The message that it's safer for me to sit and work at home but sending my kid in to mix it up is cool, seems mental.

We can't get people tested or provide people with ppe. I wouldn't be holding my breathe for a vaccine right now.

I feel very fortunate in able to do business as usual from my home, with only the added stress coming from home schooling being thrown into the mix. I've not been pushed into making a decision that may compromise my health so I can get paid.

However, with the government intention is to send the youngest of children back into school on the 1st of June. That's another one that has got people scratching their heads as to how that makes any sense at all. As it stands I won't be sending my daughter back in until im more confident it's safer to do so. I'll take the fines. The message that it's safer for me to sit and work at home but sending my kid in to mix it up is cool, seems mental.

there won’t be any fines they have said. So my wife will return to work, I’m still working at the day job, my daughter may go to school so who has my 2yo?

what you don't think kids are particularly very good at social distancing and amazing with hygiene?
shock horror :eek:

May be I am missing something but I don't really understand the fascination with finding a vaccine. Even if we had one tomorrow, how long does one think it'll take to vaccinate the entire world? Do we even have the manufacturing capabilities and man power to vaccinate people on a mass scale quickly enough? As an example how long did it take to rid the world of polio and it seems to be actually one of the easiest to vaccinate against in terms of admittance.

To me it seems like we should be spending efforts on an anti-viral drug that gives everyone good change of survival.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If we had a vaccine today, the population could be innoculated in a matter of weeks, with immunity within 3 months. Much better than a drug that would increase chances of survival.

Crisis over in the UK.

Getting it out to the whole world would take years, because some places are poor or culturally resistant or difficult to reach.

If we had a vaccine today, the population could be innoculated in a matter of weeks, with immunity within 3 months. Much better than a drug that would increase chances of survival.

Crisis over in the UK.

Getting it out to the whole world would take years, because some places are poor or culturally resistant or difficult to reach.

In a globally connected world, crisis over in UK is not exactly crisis over till we have enough immunity around the world and make sure there isn't some new mutation of it that will catch us down the line.

I don't think we'd have population wide immunity within 3 months with a vaccine. 3 years may be imo.
we can barely provide doctors with PPE and test kits. My dad (60yrs, diabetic, hypertension, BAME) has been working every day since the lockdown in the hospital with no PPE. I really don't think they can vaccinate the entire population in 3 months lol. so even if there are no mutations down the line I don't vaccination will happen in 3 months which means people from outside will come spread it here unless they are being vaccinated too.

Last edited:

Crisis over in the UK.

Let's not forget the anti vaxers..

Crisis over in the UK.

They still don’t know if you can be immune plenty of cases of people having it and getting it again later on down the line.

They still don’t know if you can be immune plenty of cases of people having it and getting it again later on down the line.

The reports were of people who were apparently asymptomatic testing positive twice (or once, then later showing symptoms), the view now is that this may well have been down to false positives in the initial tests.

Southampton University hospital is currently testing both drugs to improve survival rates and a potential vaccine (based on research into Convid vaccines at Oxford University that was well underway before the current crisis).
If successful, the vaccine could be initially available in moderate quantities by September - with production ramping up from there.

Back