The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I will be certainly getting the tamron 70-180mm based on all the reviews.
My new 3 lens travel setup:
16-35GM, 24-105mm, 70-180mm.
might throw in FE50/1.8 or FE55/1.8 but we'll see....
All will fit nicely in my tenba cooper 13 slim.

That cheapo focus system though...

As I have the 24-105 I'm leaning towards either the 70-300 or the 70-350 in crop mode which is meant to a sharper lens and lighter though I lose a bit of speed on the long end.
I'd love the 100-400 but I hate white lenses, and it is hardly a walkaround lens

I'm aiming for 2 x 3 lens set ups.

Tamron 17-28, 28-75 & 70-180

And a 3 lens prime set up of 35.55 & 85 1.8

Two bags where the lenses can live seperately (socially distanced) and swap the camera between the two.

You will probably see me pop up in those threads where people talk about forgetting a memory card and I'll be the one out for a day with 3 lenses and no camera :oops: :$

That's one idea and the other is that I sell the Sony gear and just stick with my Fuji X100f for a bit.

I'm aiming for 2 x 3 lens set ups.

Tamron 17-28, 28-75 & 70-180

And a 3 lens prime set up of 35.55 & 85 1.8

Two bags where the lenses can live seperately (socially distanced) and swap the camera between the two.

You will probably see me pop up in those threads where people talk about forgetting a memory card and I'll be the one out for a day with 3 lenses and no camera :oops: :$

That's one idea and the other is that I sell the Sony gear and just stick with my Fuji X100f for a bit.
For a 3 prime setup I'd go with 20G, 35mm/1.8, 75mm/1.8 and 135GM. Oh wait that's 4 lol. But you get the point I'd like a good (U)WA prime.

Ideally I'd like something like 24GM, 55mm and 100mm f2. But the last the lens doesn't exist on e-mount.

For a 3 prime setup I'd go with 20G, 35mm/1.8, 75mm/1.8 and 135GM. Oh wait that's 4 lol. But you get the point I'd like a good (U)WA prime.

Ideally I'd like something like 24GM, 55mm and 100mm f2. But the last the lens doesn't exist on e-mount.

In an ideal world yes I'd add the 20mm and have a 4 prime set up but it's a lot of money for something that would see little use. I figure for the times I'm likely to miss a wide prime I can just swap the 17-28 into the prime bag.

135 would very very rarely be used. I've got an old Canon FD 135 f2.5 if I really need to use it.

At the moment my travel kit will be 24-105 & 55 and the Sammy 18 & 35 f2.8s, with the 18 offering a great ultra-wide and the 35 tiny size and weight.

Presently debating picking up a macro or longer tele, probably in A mount to contain cost.

I still can't really see images in wide angle. I guess it's because I rarely shoot in that style. I'll keep the Voigtländer 21mm for now though I think.

I'm getting more use out of the Contax CZ 80-200/4 though which I'm happy about. It's just a pain to fit into my camera bag with how I have it set up.

I was just think about 70-180 v 70-200mm. I'm sometimes disappointed to have to crop but cropping from 180mm fov to 200mm should rarely cause too many problems. Maybe for most people deciding between 180 and 200mm could be a mental thing rather than too much of a real world issue and on the positive side of things it keeps the size, weight and filter size down.

I had the 70-180 in my basket twice yesterday but ended up Deleting them and bought a mint 2nd hand 70-200 F4 instead. The addition 20mm matter more to me than 100g or so in weight..

I think I have 10 lenses...

17-28/2.8
24-70/2.8 Art
70-200/2.8 GM

24/1.4 GM
35/1.4 ZA
45/2.8 TSE
50/1.4 ZA
85/1.4 GM
90/2.8 macro G
105/1.4 Art

It’s enough for now. Don’t really miss my 135mm at all.

Last edited:
Don’t really miss my 135mm at all.

You have said that a couple of times. Are you trying to convince us or yourself. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have been using mine a lot over the last couple of weeks for family portrait sessions it’s amazing for that.

You have said that a couple of times. Are you trying to convince us or yourself. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have been using mine a lot over the last couple of weeks for family portrait sessions it’s amazing for that.

ha, I think in 10 years I’ve used it perhaps 6 times. Same with the 105, I think I’ve used it only once since I got it. The 70-200 GM I used in Japan and not anywhere else. Not a distance shooter really. I guess I just miss having it (like a material attachment) but not really using it.

Last edited:
I had the 70-180 in my basket twice yesterday but ended up Deleting them and bought a mint 2nd hand 70-200 F4 instead. The addition 20mm matter more to me than 100g or so in weight..

Constant f2.8 and also shorter are the other reasons I prefer this over the 70-200 f4

ha, I think in 10 years I’ve used it perhaps 6 times. Same with the 105, I think I’ve used it only once since I got it. The 70-200 GM I used in Japan and not anywhere else. Not a distance shooter really. I guess I just miss having it (like a material attachment) but not really using it.

:oops: :$ such a waste.

I used it for just under 30 mini family portrait sessions this week and about the same again last week only used one other lens for a couple of other photos.

You are missing 400 and 600 GM lenses :p

:ROFLMAO: Those 2 I don’t need thankfully considering the cost of them.

The only lens I would really like is a 35mm f/1.4 or f/1.2 but around the same size as the 24GM.

I would probably take an 85f/1.2 if they could make one around the same size as the 85GM as well.

A tilt shift and a proper fisheye would be nice too.

Last edited:
:oops: :$ such a waste.

I used it for just under 30 mini family portrait sessions this week and about the same again last week only used one other lens for a couple of other photos.

exactly, I don’t really need the 105 really, the 70-200 would be suffice to cover all that range.

No idea since I have never owned both together (last 45mm I tried was the contax G 45mm f2).
I personally wouldn't own both.
I think Tommy owns multiple copy of similar focal lengths because there's two of them shooting together.

Yip that is true.

The 45 though is more my personal lens we wouldn’t bring it for work. I use it as my everyday lens if you like, quick snaps of the kids etc.

I've got a 45 and 55 right now. TBH the 55 is a bit too narrow and the 45 a bit too wide for 'that' lens. One fits too much in, the other not enough. 50mm is a really useful focal length.

My 45 got bashed a while back, and I've not decided whether to flog it as is or try to get it repaired before selling. It still works, but there's distortion and blurring.

I've got a 45 and 55 right now. TBH the 55 is a bit too narrow and the 45 a bit too wide for 'that' lens. One fits too much in, the other not enough. 50mm is a really useful focal length.

My 45 got bashed a while back, and I've not decided whether to flog it as is or try to get it repaired before selling. It still works, but there's distortion and blurring.

I actually prefer the 45 and the 55 to a 50.

I have had loads of different 50’s and never really got on with them.

The 70-180mm has been on my radar since it was announced, it was between that and the 70-200mm f4 but as the 70-200mm f4 can't use TC's I think I'm swaying more towards the Tammy. The one thing that's putting me off the Tammy is the lack of tripod collar. I know there's workarounds but none are as easy and convenient as a tripod collar for me. I understand not including one if they want to keep the price down, but all least design it so that you can add one if you choose :(

As for your travel setup that's one heavy travel kit :eek:

The 70-180mm has been on my radar since it was announced, it was between that and the 70-200mm f4 but as the 70-200mm f4 can't use TC's I think I'm swaying more towards the Tammy. The one thing that's putting me off the Tammy is the lack of tripod collar. I know there's workarounds but none are as easy and convenient as a tripod collar for me. I understand not including one if they want to keep the price down, but all least design it so that you can add one if you choose :(

As for your travel setup that's one heavy travel kit :eek:
Why do you need a tripod collar?
It's lighter than the lenses such as 135GM, 85/135 ART which don't come with a collar. In fact I am glad it doesn't come with a unnecessary collar to keep things small and simple.

Why do you need a tripod collar?
It's lighter than the lenses such as 135GM, 85/135 ART which don't come with a collar. In fact I am glad it doesn't come with a unnecessary collar to keep things small and simple.[/QUOTE]
Hence me saying all the choice :p

When I shoot certain events I use a monopod and switch between landscape and portrait. I've got a ballhead but the issue with that is that it shifts the weight over, a collar keeps the weight central. An L bracket is an option, but it's not as quick or slick.

L-bracket is better at least IME for smaller/lighter lenses. I honestly don't think it's a problem with such a light lens. I had and used heavier lenses with no collar.

Anyway I have made my mind up, tamron for me. It's fast reliable state of the art AF, F2.8 and better IQ is enough to sway me away from 70-200mm f4.

Back