The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There's a rolling review of the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 SE here...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1649771

Looking at the samples the centre and mid field look impressive to me but the extreme corner performance reminds me of my 35mm f1.4 in that they're relatively weak even stopped down. But this lens is maybe better than the f1.4.

I'll be following this to see how the lens performs.

Never mind that crap.

Are you using the Canon 50 f/1.2 with an adaptor on your Sony?

What is a.f performance like?

yep with mc-11.
AF performance is worst than my Samyang 85mm f1.4 but better than Samyang 50mm f1.4.
The Zeiss 50mm is definitely better than all of them. TBH in some ways I am thinking may be I should keep the zeiss 50 and sell the rest. But I really like the size of FE55.
I only keep the 50L around because of the rendering which is dreamy and smooth. Sharpness isn't the worst I have seen but its nothing to write home about.

yep with mc-11.
AF performance is worst than my Samyang 85mm f1.4 but better than Samyang 50mm f1.4.
The Zeiss 50mm is definitely better than all of them. TBH in some ways I am thinking may be I should keep the zeiss 50 and sell the rest. But I really like the size of FE55.
I only keep the 50L around because of the rendering which is dreamy and smooth. Sharpness isn't the worst I have seen but its nothing to write home about.

I fancy having a mess about with the 50 f/1.2 will have to put the feelers out and see if anyone can give me a loaner to try it out.

I fancy having a mess about with the 50 f/1.2 will have to put the feelers out and see if anyone can give me a loaner to try it out.

If you are shooting personally its fun messing about with it. I wouldn't touch it for professional work or weddings. It can't keep up with burst shooting even at 3fps. It's ok at single shots.

If you are shooting personally its fun messing about with it. I wouldn't touch it for professional work or weddings. It can't keep up with burst shooting even at 3fps. It's ok at single shots.

Ooh dear that will rule that out then. I fancied a new toy for a lockdown wedding I have coming up.

Folks,

Samyang 35mm F2.8 arrived today, does anyone have a good guide for a de-centering test for it? Unfortunately its on FW v3 and the latest on the site is v5 so before I would consider buying a dock I would like to make sure the lens is suitable.

thanks

Folks,

Samyang 35mm F2.8 arrived today, does anyone have a good guide for a de-centering test for it? Unfortunately its on FW v3 and the latest on the site is v5 so before I would consider buying a dock I would like to make sure the lens is suitable.

thanks
Google Fred Miranda decentering test (y)

Last edited:
Hi, I'm trying to find the shutter count for my A7iii in order to sell it, but I can't seem to get a sensible number out of the EXIF data. I tried some software called PIE and an online tool, they both say my latest photo has a shutter count of 88, which is not correct.

Any ideas why that data may be wrong and how I can extract the correct info?

Hi, I'm trying to find the shutter count for my A7iii in order to sell it, but I can't seem to get a sensible number out of the EXIF data. I tried some software called PIE and an online tool, they both say my latest photo has a shutter count of 88, which is not correct.

Any ideas why that data may be wrong and how I can extract the correct info?
Did you upload an original jpeg or raw, or one that's been edited? These kinds of software only work properly with SOOC unedited images.

Sony do seem to make it more difficult to get shutter counts, for other cameras I can get these easily on the Mac just using the info in preview, but shutter count doesn't show with Sony.

Did you upload an original jpeg or raw, or one that's been edited? These kinds of software only work properly with SOOC unedited images.

Sony do seem to make it more difficult to get shutter counts, for other cameras I can get these easily on the Mac just using the info in preview, but shutter count doesn't show with Sony.

Yes it was straight off the sd card.

I tried multiple shots from the same day and they all showed the same shutter count.
It’s likely to be only 1-2 k shots, maximum, but I’d like to know.

Pictures of the Sigma 100-400mm are showing up on all the rumour sites now.

It'll be interesting to see how this recent bunch of zoom lenses perform.

A favour please...

I'm still thinking about getting a long lens for my A7. I have a 100-400mm for MFT and I'm wondering how a cropped A7 picture would stack up against both a whole and cropped MFT picture.

So...

Would someone be willing to take a moon shot taken with a 24mp A7x at some time and send me a raw so I get get an idea how FF and MFT compare.

A favour please...

I'm still thinking about getting a long lens for my A7. I have a 100-400mm for MFT and I'm wondering how a cropped A7 picture would stack up against both a whole and cropped MFT picture.

So...

Would someone be willing to take a moon shot taken with a 24mp A7x at some time and send me a raw so I get get an idea how FF and MFT compare.
What focal length taking lens do you want?

A favour please...

So...

I can give you a moon shoot at 61mp. You can downscale it to whatever MP you want.
Let me know if that works for you and what focal length?

A favour please...

So...

I used the Panasonic 100-400mm before I got my A7ii and 200-600.
I prefer the Sony. I get better quality crops in my opinion.

Thanks guys and good info there Bob.

I'm just looking to compare my MFT 100-400mm to what 400mm would be like on my A7 and cropped to give the same reach. As the moon is always where it is :D that seems a good target as if someone takes a 400mm shot I can take a shot the same day and see how zooming with a 24mp A7 compares to MTF.

I bought the 100-400mm with a couple of shots in mind and so far I've only taken one of them, the moon shot, but when I can get out and about I have some more to take plus the odd bird shot.

Which OS and browser are you using? Works for me on Windows 10/chrome but not on android /chrome.

Well I have worked it out, turns out I've always had silent shooting turned on, which doesn't count towards shutter count. The silent shooting must have been over-ridden with certain shots, hence it has increased over time. So I guess that means I can sell the camera with only a 100 shots on it! Both the realisation of what caused this and the low number of shots are a source of shame :(

Foggy. "I've never seen fog like this before" Says Mrs WW as she stands looking out of the window at it. She has, she's just forgotten.

A7 with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f1.4.

VosdeZv.jpg

NNMgP8z.jpg

Very tempting.

As we've had a lot of rain I thought the lilies might look nice with water droplets on them but sadly it's a grey and flat day here with horrible light. Maybe next time we have some good light I'll cheat and run and and spray them :D

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f8 and a cheap No.4 close up filter.

QLfPii3.jpg

hGIThZJ.jpg

I think the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 has what I'll describe as limited appeal, Marmite maybe, with some thinking it's not a good lens. I think it is with the only caveats being that the corners are never great, but that won't be easy to see unless you pixel peep very closely expecting sharpness into the extreme corners, and the bokeh can be wild at f1.4 to maybe f2 but having said that with a more bokeh friendly subject it's ok.

Not really had the chance to get out anywhere but typically we've had the most amazing looking skies this weekend!! Proper mountain and countryside skies!

Rain, fog and whiteouts are the norm here at the mo. At the moment the sky is almost featureless and although we can see the hill we can't see all of it and what we can see is distinctly misty.

I was thinking about this the other day, this sort of light can be interesting in a place or with a subject that's new but when it's in your hometown and you've seen and photographed in these conditions so often taking any more pictures becomes almost pointless.

A6600 with £150 cashback comes to £864 which is an amazing price for this body from Amazon or John Lewis. Grab it while it lasts which won't be very long ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Mirrorless-0-02-sec-Real-time-stabilisation/dp/B07X78SMWP/

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-a660...screen-body-only-black/p4807852?sku=238397901

Very tempting but Im keeping my cash back now until I see what Sony announce at the end of the month...
I have only just splashed out on an XT3 for my Pentax glass, so Im keeping my dwindling camera fund until I can build iot back up again.
I want large high res EVF, I don't mind over FF or APSC, but I do want better connectivity between the phone and camera, I have quite enjoyed taking pics and posting online straight away, it makes me concentrate more if I know Im not going home and editing. Not that editing ever made my pics look that good. :)

We have Lillies as well, but our are looking slightly more tired than yours... That is my beloved SMC K 30mm @ around 5.6 or 8... Im not a wide person (yet), I really like the 40mm FOV on APSC..

pfwxxm7.jpg

As we've had a lot of rain I thought the lilies might look nice with water droplets on them but sadly it's a grey and flat day here with horrible light. Maybe next time we have some good light I'll cheat and run and and spray them :D

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f8 and a cheap No.4 close up filter.

QLfPii3.jpg

hGIThZJ.jpg

I think the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 has what I'll describe as limited appeal, Marmite maybe, with some thinking it's not a good lens. I think it is with the only caveats being that the corners are never great, but that won't be easy to see unless you pixel peep very closely expecting sharpness into the extreme corners, and the bokeh can be wild at f1.4 to maybe f2 but having said that with a more bokeh friendly subject it's ok.

That is a shame as the Voigtlanders are on my list of wanted lenses. The 40/65/110 combo really appeals to me..

Last edited:
I have the 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2 and I think just about anyone should look at the 50mm f2 APO Lanthar :D

I have the 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2 and I think just about anyone should look at the 50mm f2 APO Lanthar :D

It does come with a stellar reputation, but so does the 65...

The 65mm is tempting as it's an f2 macro and even if "only" 1:2 magnification I'd expect it to be macro enough for flower shots and the like.

Back