The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

well it'd be nice if more people bought this lens since that means more lenses to come from tamron if they are doing well.
I have really liked both the 28-75mm/2.8 I had and this 70-180mm.
I am going to give the 28-200mm a try at some point probably when I can grab it much cheaper than its current price.

What makes you think it will get cheaper ? Unless you mean secondhand ?

But that’s the obvious up front compromise - reduces focal length for better optical performance and smaller form.

Personally even 24mm isn’t wide enough for me so I would always have my Samyang 18mm with me when I want to go properly wide.
Yep, but that's why I always say imo or for my needs. I understand the reasoning for it, but it just doesn't fit my wants. I'd rather them have done a 24-60mm or something if they wanted to keep cost and weight down, for me with a short zoom the wide and is more important than the long end (within reason). Obviously the 28-75mm is well regarded so it does suit a lot of people, just not me ;)

Lenses always tend to drop from their original RRP. The 70-180mm is still on my radar despite the few negatives (for me) but not at £1300. I'm sure it will come down to around £1100 at some point.

I've always been happy with Tamron but for me I'm finding these latest releases a little 'frustrating'. Whilst they're very tempting they're just getting things slightly 'wrong' for my needs which keeps making me shy away from them. Obviously we've discussed the 70-180mm, but with the other two zooms you've mentioned they're starting at 28mm rather than 24mm, oh how I wish they were 24mm :(

for me lack of 24mm is definitely more of a deal breaker than the other things we've discussed. but it seems its what keeps the size down.
And I agree with Dustin Abbot ( :eek: ) in some ways in that their compromise is really obvious i.e. you lose 16mm/24mm/200mm etc and OSS but the rest is great without much compromise.

All lenses eventually drop in price from their initial RRP and then there will be offers. That will also reduce its price in the used market.

There are more Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 samples on Fred Miranda...

This will very probably be better than the very compact 35mm f1.4 at f1.x but IMO possibly still looking relatively poor in the extreme corners by modern standards.

BTW.
The 35mm f1.4 gives funky bokeh at close distances but I've been impressed with it at close distance when used with a close up filter which allows you to focus as if the object is further away where performance is better. I expect the same will be true for the 40mm f1.2 and possibly for this new 35mm f1.2 SE too.

Last edited:
Is that the 70-180. What is the general feedback of it? Not followed any camera gear related stuff since lockdown really.
IQ and AF reports have been very positive indeed. Few negatives (for some), no tripod collar, no AF/MF switch, no focus limiter and no internal zoom. It's 810g vs 1450g of the Sony GM.

The lack of a focus limit switch could be a problem when taking pictures through glass, fences, foliage and the like or I suppose even for events when people may be between the camera and the subject.

One thing I've noticed with my MFT and 100-400mm is that it can focus on a window surprisingly often when taking pictures of birds in the garden. The focus limit switch is a great help here as the lens then ignores things relatively close to the camera. This could well be an issue at the zoo and sporting and other events etc.

I could not bring myself to get the Tamron 28-75 either. The 24mm part in that zoom is critical for me, in terms of what I am used to ever since I had a 24-70/2.8 forever so I’m happy to spend a little more and bear the weight of the Sigma. No regrets.

the 17-28/2.8 is close to my old 16-35/2.8, I can use my filters if I want, workflow stays the same.

The lack of a focus limit switch could be a problem when taking pictures through glass, fences, foliage and the like or I suppose even for events when people may be between the camera and the subject.

One thing I've noticed with my MFT and 100-400mm is that it can focus on a window surprisingly often when taking pictures of birds in the garden. The focus limit switch is a great help here as the lens then ignores things relatively close to the camera. This could well be an issue at the zoo and sporting and other events etc.

its certainly an issue but it is already an issue for majority of my other lenses. So I have quick workarounds for it setup already.

IMO the only real solution for this is having the focus limiter in-body like on A99/ii or A77ii. Not sure when they didn't post those features across.

Last edited:
What I normally do is manually intervene and focus manually at the longer required distance. Once there the camera normally sticks there and AF's at the correct distance :D until it doesn't and grabs the window again :( The drawback is that with FBW lenses there's often a long throw and focusing from the window to the bird in the garden takes time.

With lenses with a longer close focus distance this might not be so much of a problem.

yep which is why I consider lack of tripod collar as a positive :)
Meh, the Panny 100-400mm is pretty much the same size and has a tripod collar/foot.

Yeah, I'm a bit bummed the A7RIV doesn't have a focus limiter tbh, I just assumed it would.

Meh, the Panny 100-400mm is pretty much the same size and has a tripod collar/foot.

not really. Collapsed its 20mm longer and extended it nearly 100mm longer. so its a lot longer. tamron extended isn't much longer than panny 100-400mm when collapsed.

Lenses always tend to drop from their original RRP. The 70-180mm is still on my radar despite the few negatives (for me) but not at £1300. I'm sure it will come down to around £1100 at some point.

I know this is a grey import but its currently £949 on e-infin and if it wasn't suitable you could probably sell it on for £949, possibly more.

I know this is a grey import but its currently £949 on e-infin and if it wasn't suitable you could probably sell it on for £949, possibly more.

i try to avoid them at least buying it first hand. second hand its kinda hard to avoid.
e-infin isn't great after sales support and there are many bad reviews on here

i try to avoid them at least buying it first hand. second hand its kinda hard to avoid.
e-infin isn't great after sales support and there are many bad reviews on here

Ive never used them before, was considering them for an A7Riv or Panamoz at £80 more. Are they dodgy? Ive purchased grey before, an a77 way back in 2012 from Digital Rev and It was ok; still have it!

Ive never used them before, was considering them for an A7Riv or Panamoz at £80 more. Are they dodgy? Ive purchased grey before, an a77 way back in 2012 from Digital Rev and It was ok; still have it!

they aren't dodgy per say in terms of getting your item. but once you have the item if you need to get it fixed under warranty for example you may have trouble getting help from them.
panamoz i hear is much better for after sales support. I avoid grey in general where possible.

I have the Sigma 100-400 sony fit lens. I want a tripod collar, but don't want to pay £130-00 Is there a cheaper version.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Not everyone’s preferred method of purchasing but it’s on at £949 at E-Infinty although not currently in stock and they do have a habit of increasing prices when they finally do get stock back in.

A bit more Tamron 70-180mm, I took it out for a beautiful walk on Sunday but forgot to put a memory card in (!) I cheered myself up by getting the Lego out again, the macro mode really is mega...

haha :D

I've never done that but did once go out without a battery in the camera.

It's our 3rd wedding anniversary today and Mrs WW wanted pictures to send to her family and friends...

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8 at f1.8...

gR1GbXm.jpg

xBhamWt.jpg

Two of her mates are now pestering for her to buy them Radley bags (3rd is Leather, other bags are available) and ship them over for them to sell. Thankfully I don't think Mrs WW wants the bother. Radley are apparently popular in Thailand but I'm sure they're on sale locally. Our plans for a day out have been scuppered by a stream of visitors.

That's a bit far from Normanby :D

Prices are all over the place and you can if you want pay 3 times the price.

A bit more Tamron 70-180mm, I took it out for a beautiful walk on Sunday but forgot to put a memory card in (!)

I done that exact same thing a couple weeks ago. What makes it even worse is that I loaded up the backpack with 2 spare batteries and 3 additional lens. I only noticed the memory card missing about 25 minutes into shooting. I usually carry a couple of spares in the bag, nope they weren’t there either

Felt a right pleb

not really. Collapsed its 20mm longer and extended it nearly 100mm longer. so its a lot longer. tamron extended isn't much longer than panny 100-400mm when collapsed.
I didn't realise it was 20mm longer collapsed. Still I'd rather the Tamron be 20mm longer and have a trip collar :p
I've shied away from grey tbh, all current gear is UK. It is hard to overlook it at £949, but I've never used e-infinity before although most reviews I've seen have been positive.
Panamoz I've used several times in the past and highly rate them (ethics aside), however prices aren't as cheap as they were and sometimes not that different to UK
A bit more Tamron 70-180mm, I took it out for a beautiful walk on Sunday but forgot to put a memory card in (!) I cheered myself up by getting the Lego out again, the macro mode really is mega...

Fallen Kingdom by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

DSC01515a by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

DSC01653e by Chris Harrison, on Flickr
OMG a Lego Sloth :cool::cool::cool::ROFLMAO:

A quick question before my A7R III arrives tomorrow, I purchased it through E-Infinity hence its a grey import. Can I / should I be able update the firmware or is this liable to brick it? To be honest I can’t see me bothering to try when it arrives but after the initial excitement dies down I’m likely to start trying to tinker under the hood (if you’ll forgive the Americanism) so thought it prudent to ask first :)

A quick question before my A7R III arrives tomorrow, I purchased it through E-Infinity hence its a grey import. Can I / should I be able update the firmware or is this liable to brick it? To be honest I can’t see me bothering to try when it arrives but after the initial excitement dies down I’m likely to start trying to tinker under the hood (if you’ll forgive the Americanism) so thought it prudent to ask first :)
Better you do it in the 14 days return period lol. You can return it as faulty for full refund.

But I have not come across any recent bodies getting bricked. There was a problem with bricking of the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 lenses but Sony fixed it for free.

I didn't realise it was 20mm longer collapsed. Still I'd rather the Tamron be 20mm longer and have a trip collar :p

The whole point of this lens in that is small and light. They have gone to some length to keep it that way and you want to make it unnecessarily bulky lol. You should really buy the GM it has everything you want :p
But to be seems like the RF 70-200mm is the lens you want ;)

Better you do it in the 14 days return period lol. You can return it as faulty for full refund.

But I have not come across any recent bodies getting bricked. There was a problem with bricking of the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 lenses but Sony fixed it for free.
Thanks. Yes that makes sense, I’d probably have put it off so appreciate you pointing that one out. :)
:ty:

Just waiting for my sigma 100-400 which has shipped to come should be here friday cant wait to try it out :D

My A9 come with latest FW - but when i bought my eos R via them updates were no issue so see it being the same with the sony

Back