The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A quick question before my A7R III arrives tomorrow, I purchased it through E-Infinity hence its a grey import. Can I / should I be able update the firmware or is this liable to brick it? To be honest I can’t see me bothering to try when it arrives but after the initial excitement dies down I’m likely to start trying to tinker under the hood (if you’ll forgive the Americanism) so thought it prudent to ask first :)
Grey imports are genuine cameras off the same conveyor belt and factory as any other so is no more likely to brick than one bought in the UK, US or wherever you buy them from
The whole point of this lens in that is small and light. They have gone to some length to keep it that way and you want to make it unnecessarily bulky lol. You should really buy the GM it has everything you want :p
But to be seems like the RF 70-200mm is the lens you want ;)
Yes I get that, just pointing out what would have been ideal for me (y)

Obviously Tamron don’t agree with me but it’s all well and good making it smaller and lighter but not at the expense of a number of features. We’ll obviously never agree on this but an extra 15-20mm and 100g would have been worth it to get the focus limiter, AF switch and collar IMO. Would still be half a kilo lighter and a lot smaller than the GM.

Grey imports are genuine cameras off the same conveyor belt and factory as any other so is no more likely to brick than one bought in the UK, US or wherever you buy them from
Thanks. That was my assumption when I ordered it but then read a review somewhere online (can’t remember where) to the contrary hence my question.
Thanks again.:ty:

Thanks. That was my assumption when I ordered it but then read a review somewhere online (can’t remember where) to the contrary hence my question.
Well I’m always happy to be proven wrong, but I’m 99.9% sure they’re exactly the same, the only reason they’re cheap is because the correct tax and import duties aren’t paid. I’ve even been able to register such cameras with respective manufacturer. Manufacturers also honour recalls.

When cameras had GPS built in (such a cool feature for travelling, seems to have died a death though) the Sony models were different across regions, most imports tended not to have GPS if I remember correctly.

Now though they are identical cameras and even if there are separate firmware releases from different regions it won't make any difference.

When cameras had GPS built in (such a cool feature for travelling, seems to have died a death though) the Sony models were different across regions, most imports tended not to have GPS if I remember correctly.

Now though they are identical cameras and even if there are separate firmware releases from different regions it won't make any difference.

My Old A77 bought via grey import (2012) has GPS, it was a gd feature and I thought more relevant now given geotagging popularity. I updated the Sony firmware on that using what can be found on the official Sony site back in the day. I then bought a second refurbished Sony A77 direct from Sony in 2013 and all features and firmware updating was the same. I havent bought anything more modern on import but I believe these camera will be exactly the same, be very surprised if it wasn’t.

My Old A77 bought via grey import (2012) has GPS, it was a gd feature and I thought more relevant now given geotagging popularity. I updated the Sony firmware on that using what can be found on the official Sony site back in the day. I then bought a second refurbished Sony A77 direct from Sony in 2013 and all features and firmware updating was the same. I havent bought anything more modern on import but I believe these camera will be exactly the same, be very surprised if it wasn’t.
I think the fact that they honour recalls tells us that they are not ‘fakes’ and are off the same production line (y)

Had the new Sigma 100-400 Sony fit for one day. The weather has been dark & poor. First thought on the lens is I love it. Instant focus & seems to be sharp even in darker , high ISO etc conditions. I tried to post photos direct to this site, but all lost quality. I don't have a hosting site at the moment, is it possible to post HQ photos directly to this site, if so how without losing quality?

Had the new Sigma 100-400 Sony fit for one day. The weather has been dark & poor. First thought on the lens is I love it. Instant focus & seems to be sharp even in darker , high ISO etc conditions. I tried to post photos direct to this site, but all lost quality. I don't have a hosting site at the moment, is it possible to post HQ photos directly to this site, if so how without losing quality?

your best chance is to export it around 1024px wide and then upload that into flickr and post it via. there. even that kills some of the sharpness along the way. I haven't managed to get shots here to look as sharp as it does on my monitor.

I know for a fact that Sony themselves can only tell the difference between different regions based on the languages that are installed. They can't even tell from the serial numbers.

I know for a fact that Sony themselves can only tell the difference between different regions based on the languages that are installed. They can't even tell from the serial numbers.

That's a bit odd. I suppose it's a bit different with this product as it's not obviously inherently potentially dangerous (as a machine may be) but I'm surprised if this is the case. I'd have thought that whoever's doing their compliance would have at least suggested that not knowing where your product ends up isn't exactly ideal if there's a need for a recall or other significant product issue. It's a while since I've been involved in products and it's all slowly fading from my mind but knocking out kit and not being able to easily tell what market it's gone into may potentially be a bit dubious, compliance wise.

Suppose there's a worst case potentially dangerous issue such as a bad batch of batteries? Mr Big from the authorities come along and says "Mr Sony, where's these affected batteries?" Mr Sony says "We've shipped them out in cameras." Mr Big asks "Where to? What country?" Mr Sony... " er... I don't really know... Let me check the serial numbers and what languages we installed and get back to you with my best guess." It surely can't be impossible to come up with an identification and tracking system that sort or works.

Last edited:
It was interesting until I looked at the price, my interest waned.

I think it has interesting aspects. The relatively clean modern design, the electronic controls, the apparent simplicity and the global shutter. I wonder how well that works.

The three light metering system reminded me of something I had in the past, maybe the Voigtlanda Bessa R?

I don't like the idea of the shutter speed not being visible in the VF though, if it isn't.

I think it has interesting aspects. The relatively clean modern design, the electronic controls, the apparent simplicity and the global shutter. I wonder how well that works.

The three light metering system reminded me of something I had in the past, maybe the Voigtlanda Bessa R?

I don't like the idea of the shutter speed not being visible in the VF though, if it isn't.

It certainly looks interesting and I think I would enjoy using one but when the price is equivalent to an A9II it's not as appealing.

I don't know how much a Leica is but I do get the point about this new camera being a new small volume product and that adding to the costs and final price.

For me the biggest issue wouldn't necessarily be the price, more the performance of the sensor, that it's APS-C (leading maybe to difficulties in finding suitable lenses) and the limited by modern standards ISO's. Those things and maybe a question mark over the longevity of the brand.

I can see the appeal though and I'm pretty sure it'll sell to some people. How many I don't know but hopefully enough to keep the company going and perhaps enable other models in the future.

That's a bit odd. I suppose it's a bit different with this product as it's not obviously inherently potentially dangerous (as a machine may be) but I'm surprised if this is the case. I'd have thought that whoever's doing their compliance would have at least suggested that not knowing where your product ends up isn't exactly ideal if there's a need for a recall or other significant product issue. It's a while since I've been involved in products and it's all slowly fading from my mind but knocking out kit and not being able to easily tell what market it's gone into may potentially be a bit dubious, compliance wise.

Suppose there's a worst case potentially dangerous issue such as a bad batch of batteries? Mr Big from the authorities come along and says "Mr Sony, where's these affected batteries?" Mr Sony says "We've shipped them out in cameras." Mr Big asks "Where to? What country?" Mr Sony... " er... I don't really know... Let me check the serial numbers and what languages we installed and get back to you with my best guess." It surely can't be impossible to come up with an identification and tracking system that sort or works.

I have no idea why they don’t and was a bit surprised myself.

I have no idea why they don’t and was a bit surprised myself.

I haven't done any work for Japanese companies for over 3 years now. I do know through the grapevine some are in serious trouble but this doesn't sound like a cost cutting measure, possibly just incompetence. As with any electrical item there is a life threatening potential in the most extreme fault conditions (batteries, mains adapters / chargers etc) so I'd be mildly amazed if a big name company has difficulty identifying where product goes to. Having said that, I've seen worse :D

comparison between the tamron 28-200mm and 28-75+70-180mm at respective focal lengths

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3htW66hs1Y

some surprising results I must say. Its really a decent lens going by the tests above and I have never said that about a superzoom before :eek:

i watched that this morning and was also impressed - I'm going to get the 28-200 but can't decide to get now and enjoy or wait and see if the price comes down - not that I think the price is unreasonable - apart from compared to what they are paying in the US

Have you factored in the US sales taxes?

The US headline price often looks good but once the tax goes on and the cost of getting the thing in your hand goes up it sometimes lessens the pain we in the UK feel when looking at US v UK prices.

Have you factored in the US sales taxes?

The US headline price often looks good but once the tax goes on and the cost of getting the thing in your hand goes up it sometimes lessens the pain we in the UK feel when looking at US v UK prices.

$729 seems cheap compared to £799 but no I haven't taken into account addirional tax.

$729 seems cheap compared to £799 but no I haven't taken into account addirional tax.

You may be right about the UK price falling at some point but the lens could hold its price or even be hard to get if it's popular so I really don't know what to suggest, buy now or wait :D

I've often thought that a do it all (well, almost all) lens like this and a fast prime could satisfy most of my needs. I keep thinking back to the Sigma 28-300mm I had, that was a great day out and holiday lens and this Tamron will be optically better. The only real downside for decent light shooting is the size of the lens but it does look quite compact if you're used to zooms of about this size.

You may be right about the UK price falling at some point but the lens could hold its price or even be hard to get if it's popular so I really don't know what to suggest, buy now or wait :D

I've often thought that a do it all (well, almost all) lens like this and a fast prime could satisfy most of my needs. I keep thinking back to the Sigma 28-300mm I had, that was a great day out and holiday lens and this Tamron will be optically better. The only real downside for decent light shooting is the size of the lens but it does look quite compact if you're used to zooms of about this size.

It is a little too big to be ideal for me but its small compared to other offerings - would be used in conjunction with my 18mm Samyang...

I'll probably give in and get it now ! I can't see it coming down a lot - E-Infinity are doing it at £599 when they get it in stock but as I can get it for £780 with 5 years warranty it could well be worth the extra £180 - don't fancy returning a faulty lens to HK.

It is a little too big to be ideal for me but its small compared to other offerings - would be used in conjunction with my 18mm Samyang...

I'll probably give in and get it now ! I can't see it coming down a lot - E-Infinity are doing it at £599 when they get it in stock but as I can get it for £780 with 5 years warranty it could well be worth the extra £180 - don't fancy returning a faulty lens to HK.

It's a very tempting lens and price but one thing for me to think about is that I already have a very compact 90-300mm equivalent lens for MFT and the 300mm equivalent end is really too short for some subjects (like birds) without doing a heavy crop. The 28-200mm probably wouldn't be suitable for some subjects (like birds) but would make a nice day out and holiday lens but these are times when I want compact kit the most so would probably still use a 35/50mm lens. I'll have to think about it.

It's a very tempting lens and price but one thing for me to think about is that I already have a very compact 90-300mm equivalent lens for MFT and the 300mm equivalent end is really too short for some subjects (like birds) without doing a heavy crop. The 28-200mm probably wouldn't be suitable for some subjects (like birds) but would make a nice day out and holiday lens but these are times when I want compact kit the most so would probably still use a 35/50mm lens. I'll have to think about it.

Agreed - if i ever got into 'birding' I would buy into M43 as the reach you can get with small lenses is amazing. 200mm isnt that long at all but for about 3 years I've had nothing longer than 75mm FF equiv so 200mm will seem pretty good to me !

With the A7R3 I'm thinking I will be able to crop a little too- maybe even try the APS-C mode thingy me bob

Last edited:
I am going to wait for the price to comes down and in the meantime see if I can get a comparison between 28-200 and 24-105G.
There is already one thing that's slight put me off 28-200 over 24-105mm and that's sunstars. my 24-105 is great when stopped down.

comparison between the tamron 28-200mm and 28-75+70-180mm at respective focal lengths

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3htW66hs1Y

some surprising results I must say. Its really a decent lens going by the tests above and I have never said that about a superzoom before :eek:

Normally I'd like to trust him, but having had the Sammy 45 f1.8 that didn't live up tom expectations from his review, I'd be a little cautious. Not that I think he's intentionally flattering the lens, but I do suspect he gets sent best copies to evaluate instead of normal retail kit.

Normally I'd like to trust him, but having had the Sammy 45 f1.8 that didn't live up tom expectations from his review, I'd be a little cautious. Not that I think he's intentionally flattering the lens, but I do suspect he gets sent best copies to evaluate instead of normal retail kit.

well samyang is known for its notorious QC with its lenses. so I won't hold that against him.
Tbh I have only very recently started watching some of his reviews. I normally ignored them because they are really long.

some very interesting canon gear has been finally officially announced.

Just watched a preview of them, R5 looks pretty good specs on paper. 20 minutes max recording at 8k30 or up until the temp is too high so could end up being pretty useless in the real world in hotter environments. Pre-order on Wex for £4199.

What didn’t you like about the 45mm? I really like mine (y)

Just watched a preview of them, R5 looks pretty good specs on paper. 20 minutes max recording at 8k30 or up until the temp is too high so could end up being pretty useless in the real world in hotter environments. Pre-order on Wex for £4199.

don't really care about the video that much. The AF might be pretty good and especially so with EF lenses which is very tempting.

I’m thinking of selling my Samyang 18mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8, Sony 28mm f2, 28-70mm and Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and getting the 16-35mm f4 instead. I liked the idea of small primes but I just find zooms more handy :thinking:

don't really care about the video that much. The AF might be pretty good and especially so with EF lenses which is very tempting.
We’re getting into A9-II territory with that price, I appreciate it’s a higher mp camera but is it likely to match A9-II performance?

Wide open nothing was quite sharp, and it seemed a little inherently low-contrast. Need to get it repaired so I can move it one now.
I must’ve dropped lucky then (y)

We’re getting into A9-II territory with that price, I appreciate it’s a higher mp camera but is it likely to match A9-II performance?
No idea if it matches A9ii. They are different kind of bodies tbh. I like high Res bodies in general.

I’m thinking of selling my Samyang 18mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8, Sony 28mm f2, 28-70mm and Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and getting the 16-35mm f4 instead. I liked the idea of small primes but I just find zooms more handy :thinking:

I would. Never understood why you had so many primes. For price and size of 18mm+24mm+28mm you can get a tamron 17-28mm f2.8 which will also be probably better than two out of those three primes.

No idea if it matches A9ii. They are different kind of bodies tbh. I like high Res bodies in general.

I would. Never understood why you had so many primes. For price and size of 18mm+24mm+28mm you can get a tamron 17-28mm f2.8 which will also be probably better than two out of those three primes.
Just wanted to try something different (y)

Back