The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

depends on the size. If its the size of nikon, may be.... if its size of sigma ART no thanks.

I have the 85GM and the 135GM, I expect this will be fantastic but I don't think I need a 100mm even if it is f/1.4..

May be launched today along with the A7SIII.

I hope if it exists, it focuses faster than the first generation Canon 1.2L did - had it back in the day of shooting film, and moving those massive lens elements around was possibly a tad beyond the subminiature AF motors of that era... You really had to learn to use it and dial in your reaction times a little... but when you got it right, there was not a lot that could touch it. The v II version was a fair bit better in fairness, but by that time I was shooting digital and a lot less of fast moving objects in dingy pits of bars and concert halls, so it wasn't really worth the £££'s

the RF 85mm f1.2 is faster than the second gen EF 85mm f1.2. but these lenses are rather slow regardless. I imagine to make them focus faster it'd need much larger motors making them even larger. Even the 85mm f1.4 lenses are slow to focus.
Funnily enough the the older sony/minolta a-mount versions of 85mm f1.4 lenses that are screw driven, while louder are actually faster to acquire focus.

I have the 85GM and the 135GM, I expect this will be fantastic but I don't think I need a 100mm even if it is f/1.4..

May be launched today along with the A7SIII.

personally I really loved my EF 100mm f2 lens. I only bought 85mm because 100mm isn't available for e-mount. I really like the 100mm focal length but I have really grown to like 85mm too.

just comes down to what sigma has in store, the price of this new lens and the size.

personally I really loved my EF 100mm f2 lens. I only bought 85mm because 100mm isn't available for e-mount. I really like the 100mm focal length but I have really grown to like 85mm too.

just comes down to what sigma has in store, the price of this new lens and the size.

There is the STF at 100mm, wonder if this replaces that.

Best Web cam hehe

Have Sony released anything to allow most cameras to be used as web cams without additional hardware? I know Fuji, Canon (and I think Olympus) have during this COVID thing.

My laptop has the webcam at the bottom of the screen, which is ridiculous.

Have Sony released anything to allow most cameras to be used as web cams without additional hardware? I know Fuji, Canon (and I think Olympus) have during this COVID thing.

Dell laptop I presume?

Anyways Umm not that I know of. I think that new sony rx camera that was launched a month or so does

Dell laptop I presume?

Anyways Umm not that I know of. I think that new sony rx camera that was launched a month or so does

Yep, have to turn the camera off during meetings to type! Wasn't an issue when I bought it, never worked a day from home in my life but now I am permanently...

Bit annoying that I have £4k of cameras sat here but would need to buy a dedicated webcam (or hardware) to do it, and also that Sony (an electronics company) haven't followed the lead of Fuji, Canon etc.

Yep, have to turn the camera off during meetings to type! Wasn't an issue when I bought it, never worked a day from home in my life but now I am permanently...

Bit annoying that I have £4k of cameras sat here but would need to buy a dedicated webcam (or hardware) to do it, and also that Sony (an electronics company) haven't followed the lead of Fuji, Canon etc.
Get a usb capture card..

they work great on it and u can also later create your own twitch live stream while your out and about taking pics :)

A7Siii can focus down to -6EV with a f2 lens vs. -6EV of R5/6 with a f1.2 lens. Has a stop and half advantage in low light focussing. pretty impressive as canon was already quite impressive as it is.

A7Siii can focus down to -6EV with a f2 lens vs. -6EV of R5/6 with a f1.2 lens. Has a stop and half advantage in low light focussing. pretty impressive as canon was already quite impressive as it is.

That is impressive.

Northrup showed comet Neowise through the live view on A7SIII which is not visible to the naked eyes. that's pretty impressive.

Sony finally use CFExpress for their cameras with the a7SIII after not really using their XQD format on their own cameras. It is the smaller Type A card, which is not as easily available as the normal Type B atm, but for the option of dual CFExpress and SD cards, it looks like a good choice for more options.

Last edited:
Sony finally CFExpress for the a7SIII after not really using their XQD format on their own cameras. It is the smaller Type A card, which is not as easily available as the normal Type B atm, but for the option of dual CFExpress and SD cards, it looks like a good choice for more options.
Game changer

They did say it would "go beyond expectations" and on paper, they may well have done.

If Sony really did listen to what the market wanted from the A7s and have provided it I hope they do the same for stills shooters with upcoming cameras.

If Sony really did listen to what the market wanted from the A7s and have provided it I hope they do the same for stills shooters with upcoming cameras.
Now let me think Oh yes a9mkIII 30 to 35 mps and bird eye AF :)

Rob.

Sandisk 64gb cards are on offer on Amazon for £12.99. Also if you're a prime member click no rush delivery and you'll get £1 off your next order. And if you need multiple cards, order separately with no rush and you'll get £1 from every card back off your next order.

Sandisk 64gb cards are on offer on Amazon for £12.99. Also if you're a prime member click no rush delivery and you'll get £1 off your next order. And if you need multiple cards, order separately with no rush and you'll get £1 from every card back off your next order.
Which speed?

Edit just seen they’re the 170mbs/90mbs R/W

Last edited:
It seems the 8k in the R5 grabbing all the headlines, good and bad. Good that it shoots 8k, bad that it overheats. If you just ignore it, pretend it's a 4k video camera then it's fine. Which essentially what it is, as you can't use something if the camera won't turn on. In that regard, if you shoot video mainly, the S3 is a better choice. It gets the work done, full size HDMI, 120fps, just reliable and works.

If you shoot stills and video, get the Canon.

It seems the 8k in the R5 grabbing all the headlines, good and bad. Good that it shoots 8k, bad that it overheats. If you just ignore it, pretend it's a 4k video camera then it's fine. Which essentially what it is, as you can't use something if the camera won't turn on. In that regard, if you shoot video mainly, the S3 is a better choice. It gets the work done, full size HDMI, 120fps, just reliable and works.

The canons overheat in 4K as well.:D

If your shoot of a few frames it also triggers the over heating protection and it won’t shoot video. :D

Last edited:
The canons overheat in 4K as well.:D

If your shoot of a few frames it also triggers the over heating protection and it won’t shoot video. :D

Then in that case it would be useless as a professional video camera.

Unreliable = useless.

It seems that the 4k mode on the R5 is downsampled 8K, so the sensor still overheats. Pretty big issue really, as the recovery time is really long!

Can you not do it with ODB Studio + ODB Webcam? Not tried yet

Back