The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yup. The Sony 35mm f1.8 is a nice lens but I think the CA and bokeh performance are only average. The plus points for me are the AF speed, performance across the frame from wide open and the close focus ability.

Must admit, I`m liking this 35mm f1.8 at the moment.

I was thinking about people shots including the interior or exterior of buildings. I know it won't matter for people shots except when they have very angular features :D

I don't know how bad the Sony f1.8 is or how the old Sigma 85mm f1.4 Canon fit DSLR lens I had performed but that test result for that new lens did shock me as I had no idea 85's could be that bad. It's as if the test result was drawn freehand by someone after a really heavy drinking session.

The original 85 you had is also a lovely lens, imo sigma has always made wonderful primes. The distortion in the newer lens is its only real downside but its not like its a moustache distortion and its pretty easily fixed. Size, weight, price (well not cheap but in comparison to a gm), fantastic.

Last edited:
The original 85 you had is also a lovely lens, imo sigma has always made wonderful primes. The distortion in the newer lens is its only real downside but its not like its a moustache distortion and its pretty easily fixed. Size, weight, price, fantastic.

Can't wait to give one a go!

Trying to reduce my landscape kit weight so have ordered the 3 Legged Thing Punks Brian, and Tenba Solstice 24l, will probably sell my Manfrotto tripod and head if Brian's as good as I'm hoping. Looking at other ways to save weight too, will probably revisit my filters and filter case too (y)

I bought a 3LT Travis about..... 6 months ago I suppose now. It's obviously not as chunky in the hand whilst using but no real complaints towards it in all honesty.

Is the Sony 85mm f1.8 any good for street and say walk around ?

Yes it's a brilliant lens for pretty much everything (though some will tell you it can render a busy background too busily).

Wonderful lens, light, ridiculously sharp, decent bokeh, programmable fn button. Look back a few pages I posted some bokeh pics at various distances as some think it's questionable, imo, at the spec and price it's great... Better than canikons equiv offerings.

It's relatively small and light and it's quick to focus and it's easy to use with eye/face detect. So those are all big plus points.

The possible negatives are again relatively ordinary CA and bokeh.

Having said all that I do think it's a good lens.

I posted this f1.8 picture a couple of pages ago as an example of a picture I like despite the rough bokeh, it's framed in our bedroom. To be fair though the bokeh is probably mostly only going to be an issue with a messy scene, like this one.

89inCe4.jpg

PS.
I forgot to add, the bokeh can give a cats eye effect which some like and some don't.

Last edited:

I don't use the Sony but I usually have an 85mm with me. Ive mainly been bringing the 35 & 85mm with me on recent trips out. Never really felt the need for anything else but different strokes for different folks!

@Fuji Dave also look at the Samyang 85 1.4 and viltrox 1.8, viltrox rendering from what I've seen is the smoothest out of the 1.8s incl sony, af has mixed reviews though so wouldn't advise there.

Edit Nvm, youve bought a cracking lens!

@Fuji Dave also look at the Samyang 85 1.4 and viltrox 1.8, viltrox rendering from what I've seen is the smoothest out of the 1.8s incl sony, af has mixed reviews though so wouldn't advise there.

Edit Nvm, youve bought a cracking lens!

Don't forget the Viltrox 85 1.8 also, proven to stand up very well to the Sony. Not quite as fast AF but apparently slightly nicer bokeh, though I think that is completely subjective thing. Saves some money though.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Viltrox 85 1.8 also, proven to stand up very well to the Sony. Not quite as fast AF but apparently slightly nicer bokeh, though I think that is completely subjective thing. Saves some money though.

Yeah mate, in the post :D viltrox is very smooooth. Did you see the fw on sony version does f1.6?

Yeah mate, in the post :D viltrox is very smooooth. Did you see the fw on sony version does f1.6?

I think I need glasses lol, or I need to stop skim reading ;)

Aye I seen that, some even reckon it's a native 1.4 but was restricted to 1.8 for whatever reason by the manufacturer. This would suggest they restriced the aperture blades from opeing fully, this hack for 1.6 allows it to open a little more, but apparently some with more eagle eyes or more in the know state it can actually go to 1.4 [would explain the chunk of it, and that magnificent front element]

Last edited:
I think I need glasses lol, or I need to stop skim reading ;)

Aye I seen that, some even reckon it's a native 1.4 but was restricted to 1.8 for whatever reason by the manufacturer. This would suggest they restriced the aperture blades from opeing fully, this hack for 1.6 allows it to open a little more, but apparently some with more eagle eyes or more in the know state it can actually go to 1.4 [would explain the chunk of it, and that magnificent front element]

That's very interesting as even in the 1.8 shots it just appears to render like a 1.4 lens with such a smooth fall off. I'll check out the 1.6/4 pics. Thanks

New firmware out for the Tamron 28-200 :)

Unfortunately i can’t update my lens as the software won’t work with OS 10.15 :(

Not sure if that’s due to Sony or Tamron ? Either way it’s annoying !

Unfortunately i can’t update my lens as the software won’t work with OS 10.15 :(

Sonys never been great with macs. Usually you need to open a package when it comes to fw and then you're good to go. Perhaps @snerkler can provide assistance.

Sonys never been great with macs. Usually you need to open a package when it comes to fw and then you're good to go. Perhaps @snerkler can provide assistance.

Apparently it’s to do with OS 10.15 being 64 bit rather than 32 and Sony despite having 18 months notice haven’t changed yet

Apparently it’s to do with OS 10.15 being 64 bit rather than 32 and Sony despite having 18 months notice haven’t changed yet
I haven’t updated to Catalina yet and not sure I will, there were a lot of issues with Logic Pro initially.

Justa I’m pretty sure OS has been 64 bit for quite a while before Catalina, it’s just Catalina supports 64 bit only for some reason.

That's very interesting as even in the 1.8 shots it just appears to render like a 1.4 lens with such a smooth fall off. I'll check out the 1.6/4 pics. Thanks

Would it be too far fetched to believe, given the country of origin and the fact that this works so well with the Zeiss 85mm batis profile in Lightroom; its possibly it’s ‘inspired’ by it Lol

I haven’t updated to Catalina yet and not sure I will, there were a lot of issues with Logic Pro initially.

Justa I’m pretty sure OS has been 64 bit for quite a while before Catalina, it’s just Catalina supports 64 bit only for some reason.

Yes I think you are right :(

Not good enough that Sony haven't updated the Uploader to 64 bit !

Yes I think you are right :(

Not good enough that Sony haven't updated the Uploader to 64 bit !
I had Issue updating my camera firmware on Catalina, got a warming message so I didn’t even chance it. I have bootcamp and w10 pro setup for stuff like this as generally windows is better supported.

Back