The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yes I think you are right :(

Not good enough that Sony haven't updated the Uploader to 64 bit !
No pretty poor, but I don't also understand why Apple have limited Catalina either, they must know that people still want to run 32bit software, to exclude it is bonkers imo.

Found a tripod collar for the Tamron 70-180mm, not sure how good it is or how well it will work though?

The Tamron 28-200mm update is available again for Windows and just updated my lens without issue.

There are a couple of things on the rumour site that peeps might find interesting.

Firstly, the Sigma 85mm f1.4 v Sony GM.

Secondly, and possibly of limited interest here...

Another lens review showing how many eyelashes you can count and how it looks shooting a chart :rolleyes:

Another lens review showing how many eyelashes you can count and how it looks shooting a chart :rolleyes:

Well, these things do tell you something. Sharpness may be overrated, performance across the frame maybe too but it's all info to be considered especially these days when lots of us don't have a local shop we can walk into to test drive the kit.

Well, these things do tell you something. Sharpness may be overrated, performance across the frame maybe too but it's all info to be considered especially these days when lots of us don't have a local shop we can walk into to test drive the kit.
I know, it was a little tongue in cheek although I do wish reviews would show a variety of real world shots, not everyone who buys this lens solely does a head and shoulders portrait but that’s all you seem to get. I’ve said before I like to see how they render full body shots in terms of pop and subject isolation. Whilst not what a lot of people buy the lens for it would be nice also if they’d show whether it’s good enough to take some action/sports shots etc too. Just an overall real world review for the average Joe (y)

I know, it was a little tongue in cheek although I do wish reviews would show a variety of real world shots, not everyone who buys this lens solely does a head and shoulders portrait but that’s all you seem to get. I’ve said before I like to see how they render full body shots in terms of pop and subject isolation. Whilst not what a lot of people buy the lens for it would be nice also if they’d show whether it’s good enough to take some action/sports shots etc too. Just an overall real world review for the average Joe (y)

DPR Gallery actually hasnt some decent everyday stuff.

I am a bit confused about the new Siggy 85.

Some of the early reviews said a.f speed was very fast, faster than the GM and some even said nearly as fast as the FE85.

Having read and watched a few more recent reviews these are saying that a.f speed is on a par with the G.M.

Now I am not so sure what to do.

I am a bit confused about the new Siggy 85.

Some of the early reviews said a.f speed was very fast, faster than the GM and some even said nearly as fast as the FE85.

Having read and watched a few more recent reviews these are saying that a.f speed is on a par with the G.M.

Now I am not so sure what to do.

Buy it and let us know :D

All good points and I do think the "85mm is a portrait lens" attitude can be done to death. I like reviewers who state an opinion. Some may shy away from one these days but looking at a computer screen can't tell me everything and an opinion helps.

One thing the reviews have told me is that the minimum focus distance and magnification mean it'd be pretty useless for my walk to the shops flower shots. A close up filter might help though.

The samples do like nice on DPR.

Sometimes a sharp lens comes with nervous bokeh but this seems not too bad at all.

The samples do like nice on DPR.

Sometimes a sharp lens comes with nervous bokeh but this seems not too bad at all.
Yeah does look nice. The full body shot doesn’t appear to have the same level of pop as the Samyang though. I do love the Samyang lens, shame the AF’s a bit unreliable and it’s tight between lens and grip.

Managed to get out today with the Sony, if the shots are as good as I think then I might actually go all Sony and get rid of my Fuji lot.
TBH the weight saving with the Fuji isn't a great deal imo. With mirrorless now I think if you want serious weight saving you need to go m4/3, otherwise you may as well go FF. YMMV.

TBH the weight saving with the Fuji isn't a great deal imo. With mirrorless now I think if you want serious weight saving you need to go m4/3, otherwise you may as well go FF. YMMV.

:plus1: there is some saving with APSC but SERIOUS savings are gained with M43.

The only Fuji I will keep is the X100V, so the rest can go now I totally love this Sony and might even get a better one but will have to wait and see photos will be up soon.

IMO not sure you can get a better allrounder in the lineup, what do you think you need that the mk3 doesnt do?

One of the Rs for the 42 GB ?

Theres the Rii if you dont need the best AF but the sensor is really great 42mp, then theres the mkiii with improved battery and same handling as your MKiii along with much improved AF, then the beast 61mp A7riv which is very expensive but if you want MP in a FF thats the king.

The only Fuji I will keep is the X100V, so the rest can go now I totally love this Sony and might even get a better one but will have to wait and see photos will be up soon.
How do you like the X100V, was tempted myself?

So had an hour to my self today, thinking this Sony will do for me but it was a total joy to use as it`s so light weight and great to use after having Fuji for so long. All my photography has to totally change now as I had Fuji for all my jazz and music shots but after today I thought Why not have a total change and just keep the X100V and really go to town with this great little system.

A7 III + 35mm f1.8.

Gate Pattern by Dave, on Flickr

Lines by Dave, on Flickr

Bit of Yellow by Dave, on Flickr

Homer and Friends by Dave, on Flickr

Around the World by Dave, on Flickr

let it go and get a tiny little Zeiss/Samyang 35 2.8. That said I’ve always wanted a X100 style camera.

Thats the logical thing to do but the X100 cameras are so small/light/beautiful and the V has really gotten rid of the niggles (sharper, much faster). TBH unless affordability or only wanting 1 cam comes into it, Id keep the Fuji.

Back