The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Recommend a Sony repair shop (for an out-or-warranty repair)?

My A7 ii could use a control wheel replacement so that I can sell it without caveats and get a decent price. At the moment, the Drive button (left hand side) has less of a tactile 'click' feel compared to the other three buttons. It's never bothered me - I think I've mentioned it here in the past - as it always works.

I am hoping that it's a quick repair from the teardown on this page: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/02/the-a7ii-teardown-a-look-inside-sonys-new-camera/

The author of that article refers to this (mistakenly) as the 'mode dial' assembly: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/media/2015/01/mode-button.jpg

Does anyone have an insight into what this might cost, either at an authorised Sony repair centre, or at a known-good independent?

The only non baking hot sunny day of the holiday. Still managed to get in the sea though :)

A7 - 40/1.2 Panorama

by Lee, on Flickr

Very nice landscape/seascape shot Lee, nicely composed with a good foreground and really liking the tones & atmosphere on this one.

George.

Long time since i posted anything in here.

Got some new extension tubes so had a quick go in the garden, literally the first thing i saw to take a picture of. This is with a 26mm tube, even at f8 such a narrow DOF.

JgyEbMC.jpg

Barely done anything with the camera so far this year or indeed much last year. Its been all hands on with this guy.

s6bxG5d.jpg

I am still on flexible furlough so getting plenty of time with him at the minute and only in work Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I have actually tried taking photos of him now hes moving about but im never happy with any of the results, the camera just misses 90% of the time, either never has focus bang on or i get that shutter shock. Iv tried with my flash as well but i just dont get on with a flash.
Definelty got my eye on the to be announced A7C, could be prefect.

So couple of questions for the Tamron 70-180 users.

Has anyone come from the 70-200 2.8 GM and how do you find it?
I'm beginning to feel the weight of the 70-200 and just want too see how people have found the lens quality wise.
I do use the 70-200 at 200 quite a lot - is the loss of 20mm going to be super noticeable or something you can easily get used too?

How does the lens feel? Any signs of barrel wobble/chances of creep?

I know in terms of build quality it will be less, but I do not use the buttons on the side TBH so that's not something I would really miss.

How is the IS in the body compared to having it in the lens and body?

Thanks for any help!

I'm beginning to feel the weight of the 70-200 and just want too see how people have found the lens quality wise.
I do use the 70-200 at 200 quite a lot - is the loss of 20mm going to be super noticeable or something you can easily get used too?

I know in terms of build quality it will be less, but I do not use the buttons on the side TBH so that's not something I would really miss.

Thanks for any help!
I used to have the 70-200GM in fact if I am not mistaken I sold mine to you.

I have the tamron 70-180mm and IMO it's much better than the GM simple because I carry it with me unlike the GM. I don't miss the 20mm especially as I have A7RIV and I don't much care for IS. I am sure you can get more stops stabilization with the GM but considering I shoot mostly moving stuff with it I don't really need any more than 2 stops of stabilization which IBIS is plenty good for.

All in all I wouldn't go back to the GM or lenses of that size for this type of lens.

And I found the AF to be better than the GM. Possibly because it's not having to move large heavy glass around.

Last edited:

Thanks for any help!

I have never used the GM and would never consider that lens because of its size and price.

Have had my Tamron 70-180 for about a month now and it’s currently permanently attached to my camera. Because of its size and weight, I have no hesitations in taking it out with me. It’s great for taking pictures of my kids in open spaces.

The lens doesn’t creep and it does have a lock switch. The lack of IS is not ideal so may have to up your shutter speed a little especially at the longer end.

My only complaint is the that lens itself looks a little bland and quite ugly if I’m being honest. Oh, and the internal focusing mechanism makes a small ”clunking” sound if you move the lens around when the camera is not switched on - that‘s normal.

It’s going to be for sports and current venues I am shooting at are either outdoors where shutter speed is usually between 1/1000-1/1500 and when I switch to the indoor arena I’m getting away with 1/500.

Just spotted this Dulens APO 85mm f2 Canon and Nikon SLR mount manual lens on DPR...

Reading the comments is interesting but I suppose much of this is just culture shock... Chinese lenses shouldn't cost this much... Chinese lenses should be cheap because they're crap... This makes no sense.... Who wants an MF lens when I can get an AF Canikon 85mm for less... and even the baffling... APO doesn't exist...

I'm sure a lot of people will never see any use for lenses like this but if this lens is anything like APO it could find fans if the IQ and build are good. Looking at it some will not like the styling and the graphics do look painted rather than engraved and paint filled but I could be wrong.

I don't know if these lenses will tempt people away from other manual and APO options, Voigtlander springs to mind, but they could find happy buyers.

Just in case this comment gets lost in the blizzard...

Richard Murdey wrote "Lens arrived this morning, 18h after I ordered it from ebay. Mwahahaha. Silver, F-mount. Came with a free MC filter.

Fit and finish are excellent, rivaling my Zeiss ZF. The 11 blade aperture is a work of art. Stepless aperture ring and no coupling to the camera means this is fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants photography. Focus confirmation only. If you experienced with no metering lenses on your dSLR though, it's not much of an additional stretch.

First impressions is that the "APO" part is for real - with the caveat that moderate aperture 85mm primes don't have much CA anyway - and that the bokeh is exceptionally nice, as in "wow" nice. I'll need to do some direct comparisons before commenting on sharpness and contrast but to put this to rest now: nothing about the performance is "cheap"."

And while I'm here, I have the Voigtlaner 50mm f2 APO and it is IMO an outstanding lens. Possibly the best lens I've ever used.

It’s going to be for sports and current venues I am shooting at are either outdoors where shutter speed is usually between 1/1000-1/1500 and when I switch to the indoor arena I’m getting away with 1/500.
Lack of IS shouldn’t really matter then tbh, and also because the lens is so much lighter you can hold it steadier in the first place.

If you don’t need IS, collar and focus limiter then the 70-180mm is a no brainier for me. Focus is fast and accurate and image quality is top notch. It doesn’t feel as well built as the GM, or the 70-200mm f4 and so what the longevity of the lens will be like compared to those I don’t know. That being said it still feels well built and I can’t see build quality being an issue.

Local safari park today.

DSC04903 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04758 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04735 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04684 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04642 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04608 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04373 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04834 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr
Very nice, what park is that as it seems like you got pretty close. I know it’s at 600mm but even so looking at the DOF it seems close? I really like the B&W tiger picture.

Yeah, the lack of IS shouldn’t matter too much to you then.

You may also want to wait and see what Sigma has to offer... shouldn’t be too long now... hopefully.

Lack of IS shouldn’t really matter then tbh, and also because the lens is so much lighter you can hold it steadier in the first place.

If you don’t need IS, collar and focus limiter then the 70-180mm is a no brainier for me. Focus is fast and accurate and image quality is top notch. It doesn’t feel as well built as the GM, or the 70-200mm f4 and so what the longevity of the lens will be like compared to those I don’t know. That being said it still feels well built and I can’t see build quality being an issue.

Only use the collar to have the camera strap on for better balance. Tamron have decent length warranty though.

Recently bought the Sony 70-350mm G OSS lens and I’m very impressed with the image sharpness and focus speed when paired with my A6400. This is the first native telephoto lens I’ve purchased for E mount, previously I’d used a Sigma 100-300 f4 with my recently sold A77. I’d hoped the new LA-EA5 adapter would allow me to use the Sigma with my A6400 but sadly it looks like screw drive support will not come to my camera body.

Last edited:
Very nice, what park is that as it seems like you got pretty close. I know it’s at 600mm but even so looking at the DOF it seems close? I really like the B&W tiger picture.

Thanks, it's only 5 minutes from me. I'm a member which only costs approx £40 per year so I often just go with my camera, really enjoy it.

Recently bought the Sony 70-350mm G OSS lens and I’m very impressed with the image sharpness and focus speed when paired with my A6400. This is the first native telephoto lens I’ve purchased for E mount, previously I’d used a Sigma 100-300 f4 with my recently sold A77. I’d hoped the new LA-EA5 adapter would allow me to use the Sigma with my A6400 but sadly it looks like screw drive support will not come to my camera body.

You should post some pictures :D

@snerkler

I spoke with Adobe chat in relation to those extra cache files in the Adobe Camera Raw 2 folder and apparently its a duplicating issue that can occur. To Resolve it, he had me:

Close Lightroom
Finder - Go to Folder - "~/library/preferences"
Rename File "com.lightroomclassicCC7.plist" to "com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.old"

Navigate to the Adobe Camera Raw 2 Folder and rename it to Adobe Raw.old
Start Lightroom and got to Preferences - Performance and then repoint the camera raw cache location to the same location as it shows.
Check and see if all works, which it did for me. No more duplicates!

You will get the dialog boxes appearing saying welcome to Lightroom but it still had all my collections, settings etc.. I then deleted the renamed Adobe Camera Cache folder. Hope this helps speed it up, at least it gets you some storage back if nothing more.

Just a simple landscape/seascape type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of one of the Wooden Walkways across the beach. I've deliberately gone for a slightly higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the various textures.

RX10M4, 1/800th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Wooden Walkway (1)-03458 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.

Our day as seen by my A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

It's overcast with unfortunately dead and flat light, next to no sky and chilly but it was nice to be out and we had cheese, tomato and home grown lettuce sandwiches :D

SVJL38k.jpg

JVCPMpq.jpg

I'm always fascinated by this building. It looks like there should be a pterodactyl or two in there but sadly there isn't and it's just overgrown vegetation. Or maybe they're hiding in there. The dead light kills it so it maybe looks better in mono.

ZHjDP3s.jpg

I just hope the rumoured pricing must be wrong, I cannot see anything there that would make it a £2k camera. Lacking in control dials and customisable buttons too by the look of it.

Back