The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just moved across from canon to Sony A9, with Canon I was able to use an angle finder for low down work but at my age with glasses I just cannot get down low enough and look through the view finder and with the tilt screen the thing is hard to see at all in bright light. Is their an angle finder for Sony A9 or another solution please? Thanks, Russ

You could try one of the camera controlling Apps. Although you’ll only be able set the focus point and focus on the camera. You’ll be able to check your compositions and fire the shutter using the App.

Just got back from 10 wonderful days in Sunny Cornwall ! No really !!

So pleased with how my A7R3 and Tamron 28-200 performed - I didn't really feel the need for much else.

Just one stomach churning moment - sat outside the cafe at Godrevy and the wind blew my camera bag off the bench.....

I hardly dared look and feared the worse when I saw a bag full of shattered glass :(

Fortunately, the Marumi UV filter had done its job and sacrificed itself - the lens and camera are undamaged.....

So just need another filter now - is it worth going for a UV filter or just a protector filter ?

Thank you, I made a mistake as that one will only go on my A6400 and not my other two Sonys. So looking at the FE 70-300mm now or even the 200-600mm :eek:
the 200-600mm is the only lens i own for my sony. go for it, it's fantastic.

When I was with Canon I loved my 70-200mm f4 IS lens, and now I`m well chuffed to see Sony do one too OH Happy days.

Thanks but ordered this 70-200mm for delivery Tuesday.

the 200-600mm is the only lens i own for my sony. go for it, it's fantastic.

Just ordered it :banana:
Will be interested to hear your thought and see some pics to show off the ‘pop’. What made you choose this over the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8?

Last edited:
Will be interested to hear your thought and see some pics to show off the ‘pop’. What made you choose this over the Tamron 60-180mm f2.8?

Just wanted to stick with Sony, plus if it`s only half as great as my Canon one I had then I will be very happy.

PS: Will let you know what I think once I try it out.

The Sony 10-18 f4 (APSC) isn't half bad.

I tried a Canon 70-200 f4 on the a6300.
Although it wasn't too bad, the Sony 70-200 f4 is so much better.
The 70-350 gives you a 525mm equivalent focal length.
Regarding WA lenses - I use the Sony 16-55 f2.8 and Sony 10-18 f4 (15-27mm)
There are adapters to fit most brands of lenses to the Sony e-mount.
I did have the Sony Zeiss 16-70 f4 but I sold it along with the a6300.
I tend to keep with the Sony lenses but I believe Sigmas are quite good.
I have my eye on the Sigma 16mm f1.4 at the moment ;)
The grip on the a6600 is more substantial than other a6*** bodies due to accomodating the newer and bigger battery.
This makes it more comfortable but as I mentioned earlier, the L Bracket makes it a bit deeper as well.
Battery life is excellent!!

Hope this helps ;)

Oh so it does give 525mm focal length, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! :banana: I mean it's not 600mm but it's only 75mm shorter which I expect will be long enough for most birds in flight, distant animals or subjects I might shoot.

Just watched the video posted above for that lens, it looks great. Nice and compact. Weighs only 625g and about the same size as my Tamron 70-300 which weighs 850g with the lens hood.

I went to pcworld today and got to try out a couple of Sony cameras. They only had the 6400 and A7ii but they gave me an idea of what the a6600 and a7iii would feel like. I was surprised how small the A7ii is, smaller than my Canon 5D mk2 and really not that much bigger than the 6400. I expect the a7iii would be the same size. The buttons are smaller than I'd like and the main wheel on the 6400 is quite flat and not as nice to use as the Canon wheels. Even on the a7ii I didn't think it was much better. But they're not dealbreakers. I got to try out the 6400 and I asked a woman standing near me if she'd mind me testing the eye AF. It really does work amazingly well, the little box stayed on her eye when I asked if she would be so kind as to move left and right which she happily did. :p Very impressed.

So I'm going to order the a6600 + 70-350mm. £1039 + £669 = £1708. I'll look into that L bracket you mentioned,
Regarding the wide angled lens, that 16-55 f2.8 would be very useful to cover a lot of focal lengths but is expensive at £839! The 10-18 f4 that you and Stephen recommended is £509, a bit more palatable. There's a Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 with stabilisation for Canon EF fit. It's £349 and with an adapter would be £513. I'm wondering if the extra 6mm reach is useful or just go with the 10-18mm f4? Buying an adapter would mean being able to use my canon nifty fifty f1.8 as well.

Last edited:
Oh so it does give 525mm focal length, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! :banana: I mean it's not 600mm but it's only 75mm shorter which I expect will be long enough for most birds in flight, distant animals or subjects I might shoot.

Just watched the video posted above for that lens, it looks great. Nice and compact. Weighs only 625g and about the same size as my Tamron 70-300 which weighs 850g with the lens hood.

I went to pcworld today and got to try out a couple of Sony cameras. They only had the 6400 and A7ii but they gave me an idea of what the a6600 and a7iii would feel like. I was surprised how small the A7ii is, smaller than my Canon 5D mk2 and really not that much bigger than the 6400. I expect the a7iii would be the same size. The buttons are smaller than I'd like and the main wheel on the 6400 is quite flat and not as nice to use as the Canon wheels. Even on the a7ii I didn't think it was much better. But they're not dealbreakers. I got to try out the 6400 and I asked a woman standing near me if she'd mind me testing the eye AF. It really does work amazingly well, the little box stayed on her eye when I asked if she would be so kind as to move left and right which she happily did. :p Very impressed.

So I'm going to order the a6600 + 70-350mm. £1039 + £669 = £1708. I'll look into that L bracket you mentioned,
Regarding the wide angled lens, that 16-55 f2.8 is expensive at £839! The 10-18 f4 that you and Stephen recommended is £509, a bit more palatable.

Now I'm not sure what to do. After spending £1708, I don't really want to spend another £1348 on two more lenses. Do you think I can get a couple of good and less expensive 3rd party wide angled lens? I'd buy a Sigma MC-11 adapter. It would have been easier choosing for a full frame camera. A 16-35mm would have given me the wide angle I needed up to 35mm. And then I already have my 50mm f1.8 canon lens. But in this situation with the aps-c, I'd need the 10-18 for wide angles but I'd have to also buy another lens like the 16-55mm to get me something equivalent to 35, 40, 50mm, etc. Or do you think maybe a 10-18mm would cover most situations without needing to buy another lens, at least, for now?
Enjoy (y) Just for the record there have been a few ergonomic tweaks between the A7ii and A7iii

Thanks very much, sorry didn't realise it was turned off, i've changed the settings on flickr.

This one was the A7iii + 24-105 - 24mm, f/5.6, 1/25, ISO 800

Cheers. Was it shot on a very low down tripod,handheld, any filters used or much sharpening in post? Sorry for the questions, just learning what I can from experts so that I can attempt similar things. :)

Cheers. Was it shot on a very low down tripod,handheld, any filters used or much sharpening in post? Sorry for the questions, just learning what I can from experts so that I can attempt similar things. :)
Handheld, no filters, processed in Capture One, default sharpening, very slight bump on clarity. The A7iii ibis works great, no need for a tripod.

Handheld, no filters, processed in Capture One, default sharpening, very slight bump on clarity. The A7iii ibis works great, no need for a tripod.

Thanks Pete. 'Default sharpening' I take it that means you didn't need to sharpen, it was sharp enough straight out of your camera. That's great. I've always had to sharpen my photos with my Canon which I don't want to have to do. That's mostly lack of skill though! Great to hear that the ibis works well, and it must have done considering the slow shutter speed you used. I'm looking forward to trying the ibis in the a6600 I'm getting. That and the improved autofocus, hopefully I won't need to sharpen much. You've got a cool star pattern in the lights running down the bridge, I thought that was only possible at f8, f11 sort of apertures.

Regarding the wide angled lens, that 16-55 f2.8 would be very useful to cover a lot of focal lengths but is expensive at £839! The 10-18 f4 that you and Stephen recommended is £509, a bit more palatable. There's a Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 with stabilisation for Canon EF fit. It's £349 and with an adapter would be £513. I'm wondering if the extra 6mm reach is useful or just go with the 10-18mm f4? Buying an adapter would mean being able to use my canon nifty fifty f1.8 as well.

Good onya (y)
I'm sure you'll get on great with the a6600/70-350 combo.
I see there's a 10-18 f4 for sale in the classifieds at the moment ;)
I've never used the MC-11 adapter but I believe its quite good for using EF mount lenses on the Sony.
The a6600 with its larger grip is much nicer to hold than the a6400
Exciting times and welcome to Sony :banana:

Got the 3LT Ellie for my A7R iv.. seems a really nicely made l bracket with PD base. Also doubles as an excellent way to stop the strap attachment clip rattling around. I know it’s only an l bracket but seems a good one

1AE105CF-30F8-49D2-BC37-9645A8DEBE97.jpeg
90D6E125-54B0-4CF7-B011-71C7463296A2.jpeg

Good onya (y)
I'm sure you'll get on great with the a6600/70-350 combo.
I see there's a 10-18 f4 for sale in the classifieds at the moment ;)
I've never used the MC-11 adapter but I believe its quite good for using EF mount lenses on the Sony.
The a6600 with its larger grip is much nicer to hold than the a6400
Exciting times and welcome to Sony :banana:

Thanks Mike. :) Unfortunately I can't see that ad for the 10-18 f4 as the classifieds are private until I've been a member for 60 days and I only joined on the 3rd. :(

Thanks Mike. :) Unfortunately I can't see that ad for the 10-18 f4 as the classifieds are private until I've been a member for 60 days and I only joined on the 3rd. :(

Shame you can't go for that one as it looks to be at a good price.

I'm not up on Sony APS-C lenses so I had a quick Google and there don't seem to be many used ones about, I certainly couldn't find another at that price.

E-Infin have them at £509, which is where I bought mine from recently.

A7c review on DPR, here's a direct link to it on Youtube...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=817&v=yVpLoNYeG0E&feature=emb_logo

I'm not really all that troubled by the lack of custom buttons as these days I mostly just use the custom menu. Another issue that maybe wouldn't be a total killer for me is the evf as it looks like this one is pretty similar to the ones on my Panasonic cameras in that if I don't look smack bang though the middle the edges go blurry. This is annoying if I'm sat at home looking for things to complain about but in actual use it's ok and I forget the evf isn't very good so maybe I'd feel the same about the A7c and I could live with the evf. The big killer for me is still the lack of a front control dial and I'm glad the reviewer talks about that in this video.

It does look to be a nice camera and I can imagine people being very happy with one but having tried to like it I keep coming back to how uncomfortable I find using the spinning back wheel.

Last edited:
Quick silly question maybe as I don't often use the feature......

With the C1 & C2 program settings on the dial, these can save the whole settings yeah? Or just the basics? I'm mainly thinking of the ISO wheel function?

Quick silly question maybe as I don't often use the feature......

With the C1 & C2 program settings on the dial, these can save the whole settings yeah? Or just the basics? I'm mainly thinking of the ISO wheel function?
They save whatever settings you input and then save to either one.
I have one set up for wildlife and the other for birds in flight.

They save whatever settings you input and then save to either one.
I have one set up for wildlife and the other for birds in flight.

Great. So I can save tracking with eye af on one. Flexible spot no eye af on another. That’s Brill.
Thanks for your help.

E-Infin have them at £509, which is where I bought mine from recently.

Yep, had already seen it on there but have been googling to see if I could find a used one for more like £300-£400. Wishful thinking no doubt!

Back