The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyone here use the Tamron 17-28 ? So tempted to buy iy to go along side my 28-200 but not sure how much use it would get ?

They save whatever settings you input and then save to either one.
I have one set up for wildlife and the other for birds in flight.
Great. So I can save tracking with eye af on one. Flexible spot no eye af on another. That’s Brill.
Thanks for your help.

Thinking about it further. I’ll have touchscreen on one and not on the other.

Great. So I can save tracking with eye af on one. Flexible spot no eye af on another. That’s Brill.
Thanks for your help.

This is something like wot I do.

I usually use just the one focus point and aperture or manual modes but have the two custom modes, one set for aperture with f1.8 and the other manual with 1/250 both with face detect, wide area and auto ISO. With these I can choose the mode that's most appropriate for people shots. I choose the aperture one until the shutter speed drops too low to freeze movement and then switch to the manual custom mode. With both I might alter the aperture or shutter speed but everything else is good to go.

Anyone here use the Tamron 17-28 ? So tempted to buy iy to go along side my 28-200 but not sure how much use it would get ?

Me. Actually use it more than I expected to. Plenty sharp enough. Useful range.

You should buy my 16-35mm instead :D

I am tempted by this setup myself with the new A7c and the samyang 35/1.8

You should buy my 16-35mm instead :D

I am tempted by this setup myself with the new A7c and the samyang 35/1.8

I like compact lenses but the Sony f1.8 isn't a great deal bigger.

Untitled-1.jpg

Is there some other advantage for the Samyang?

Last edited:
It's interesting seeing people thinking about getting an A7c. I want one but I can't get over the issues I see for me, mainly the front dial.

Lol I like the size and weight of the Tamron more - plus if it’s as good as the 28-200...
It's better than the 28-200. It's nearly as good as the GM with a smaller range and it's sunstar rendering is a bit crap and is bit of a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
The ring acts an aperture control which really helps with A7c as it lacks a fore finger dial.

The focus ring?

I couldn't live with losing the ability to MF.

The lack of a front dial on that A7c just continues to annoy me and all the work arounds would end up annoying the hell out of me. God knows what Sony were thinking. Leaving it off is IMO just stupid beyond my comprehension.

Not that it's a fix for me but could the button on the Sony lens be used to change function too?

Last edited:
The focus ring?

I couldn't live with losing the ability to MF.

The lack of a front dial on that A7c just continues to annoy me and all the work arounds would end up annoying the hell out of me. God knows what Sony were thinking. Leaving it off is IMO just stupid beyond my comprehension.

As said a few pages back Sony has borrowed canon cripple hammer.

You can switch it between MF and aperture control.

Can't post any pictures right now, but really glad I bought another 12-24 before coming away. It's just so useful in ruins/archaeology sites : just hope that the pictures look good full screen as well as in the finder.

As @nandbytes says, There's a custom switch on the lens, so you can select mf or aperture control etc.

There seem to be numerous work arounds, custom buttons, toggling and now buttons on lenses but all in all I'd rather not reward Sony for being a pack of idiots and also any work around would constantly niggle at me. OCD and all. This is one of the reasons that I keep looking at the A6xxx range and always end up not bothering plus people have been screaming for an extra control dial on the A6xxx camera for years so it doesn't look good for the A7c series.

The thing is that so many companies do this. Nikon might bring out an RF style body with all the control dials I want but no evf. The unfathomable idiocy and inexcusable stupidity isn't confined to one company.

Last edited:
It's interesting seeing people thinking about getting an A7c. I want one but I can't get over the issues I see for me, mainly the front dial.
I still don’t like the A6xxx series grips which the A7c appears to have adopted.
There seem to be numerous work arounds, custom buttons, toggling and now buttons on lenses but all in all I'd rather not reward Sony for being a pack of idiots and also any work around would constantly niggle at me. OCD and all. This is one of the reasons that I keep looking at the A6xxx range and always end up not bothering plus people have been screaming for an extra control dial on the A6xxx camera for years so it doesn't look good for the A7c series.

The thing is that so many companies do this. Nikon might bring out an RF style body with all the control dials I want but no evf. The unfathomable idiocy and inexcusable stupidity isn't confined to one company.
You sound just like me with this. The faults seem so blatantly obvious I find it extremely frustrating. I wish the companies would come out and explain their strange decisions just so I could try to make some sense of it.

I still don’t like the A6xxx series grips which the A7c appears to have adopted.
You sound just like me with this. The faults seem so blatantly obvious I find it extremely frustrating. I wish the companies would come out and explain their strange decisions just so I could try to make some sense of it.

If it's the cripple hammer I still don't understand as what are they protecting? The A7III is cheaper so they can't be protecting that. Unless I've missed something I just don't see the cripple hammer being the reason and the only thing I can think is that they make the A6xxx's and they're RF style and don't have a front dial so the A7c being RF style doesn't need one either.

It's stupid and if I was a reviewer I'd say in all honesty that the omission of a front dial means I wouldn't have one of these at any price. I'll probably always be tempted, just like with the A6xxx's, and I'll look and think from time to time but never actually buy.

It doesn't have a front dial....OMG!
Everyone needs to get over it and get on with their lives..... :LOL:
Maybe there's a reason it doesn't have one?
They're bringing out one of the smallest full frame cameras on the market, and I'm sure if a front dial would be possible they'd have included it? Why not?
Maybe it would affect the size?

They're bringing out one of the smallest full frame cameras on the market, and I'm sure if a front dial would be possible they'd have included it? Why not?
There looks room, but even if not why not just add 1-2mm to the height to make it fit, In sure no-one would bat an eyelid. Then there’s the low res EVF yet charge top dollar.

Tbh neither bother me per se as it’s not a camera I’m interested in, but it’s the whole issue of not making cameras as good as they could/should be. I find in baffling. It’s like the Nikon Z’s with only one card slot.

There looks room, but even if not why not just add 1-2mm to the height to make it fit, In sure no-one would bat an eyelid. Then there’s the low res EVF yet charge top dollar.

Tbh neither bother me per se as it’s not a camera I’m interested in, but it’s the whole issue of not making cameras as good as they could/should be. I find in baffling. It’s like the Nikon Z’s with only one card slot.

nah nikon Z are worst :p

God forbid I should express an opinion on a forum. What was I thinking?

If you can get over me having an opinion it's not the end of the world and you and others who can do without the dial can still enjoy it. I feel no need to excuse my own desire for kit that doesn't make me want to drop kick it over a hedge and I wont have a hissy fit if someone else buys and likes the camera.

As to the world smallest and why not? If it's a size issue why not make it 2mm taller and fit the dial? They could still claim a world first by adding another asterix and another caveat to the ones they already use.

I just don't like moving my thumb down and back to work the rear dial, that's all. If you or anyone else is happy to do that then good luck to you and them and at least a bit of healthy whinging and gear kicking demonstrates we're not all hopeless fanboys and gear fondlers who'll blindly buy anything new and shiny Sony roll out.

My A7 still works so no biggie.

Last edited:
God forbid I should express an opinion on a forum. What was I thinking?

If you can get over me having an opinion it's not the end of the world and you and others who can do without the dial can still enjoy it. I feel no need to excuse my own desire for kit that doesn't make me want to drop kick it over a hedge and I wont have a hissy fit if someone else buys and likes the camera.

As to the world smallest and why not? If it's a size issue why not make it 2mm taller and fit the dial? They could still claim a world first by adding another asterix and another caveat to the ones they already use.

I just don't like moving my thumb down and back to work the rear dial, that's all. If you or anyone else is happy to do that then good luck to you and them and at least a bit of healthy whinging and gear kicking demonstrates we're not all hopeless fanboys and gear fondlers who'll blindly buy anything new and shiny Sony roll out.

My A7 still works so no biggie.
I wasn't having a dig at you, hence I didn't quote you... :)

I'm sure the powers that be at Sony know what they're doing.....I hope :LOL:
I know they could probably make it bigger and add a front dial, and it it sells well, maybe they'll bring out a mkii version with a front dial, who knows...

I'm unlikely to buy one, as I don't really have the means to justify buying one, and I'm not sure how I'd like using a camera with the viewfinder to the side?

I know they could probably make it bigger and add a front dial, and it it sells well, maybe they'll bring out a mkii version with a front dial, who knows...

I'm unlikely to buy one, as I don't really have the means to justify buying one, and I'm not sure how I'd like using a camera with the viewfinder to the side?

Dig away. I could care less :D but I'm not at all sure Sony do know what they're doing. I had similar feelings back when I dealt with products and companies throughout the UK and all over the world. The fact is that some people (and that's what companies are made of) just make strange, questionable, wrong or even sometimes stupid decisions and then sometimes go on to defend them. I've seen this many times and I suppose it becomes more difficult with different cultures. Like wot the UK and the Japanese have. This could come down to one dept. head who just wont listen as everyone else at the product meeting shouts "FRONT CONTROL DIAL!"

Luckily I can afford any thing that I want and I'm certain Mrs WW would buy me one if I said it's what I want but honestly the lack of a dial would drive me mad and I know it would so I wont buy one. If my A7 dies tomorrow (it's working today...) I'll buy an A7III. Problem solve-ed.

Last edited:
The various rumour sites are saying A7IV late this year or 1st quarter next. This year? With covid running rampant? We'll see.

What's the betting?

Downgraded evf and no front dial?
:D

Bob, one thing I will say is that I thought the same thing, but when I tried a 6400 yesterday in Currys/PCworld, it was surprisingly fine, I really didn't notice any difference. I'm also thinking it might have an advantage as I can see outside of the camera body more easily with my left eye open waiting for my subject to come into view.

Last edited:
The various rumour sites are saying A7IV late this year or 1st quarter next. This year? With covid running rampant? We'll see.

What's the betting?

Downgraded evf and no front dial?
:D
I don’t really see what they can improve on other than better EVF and A7R IV/A9-II ergonomics? I doubt they’ll put blackout free shooting in as that will likely be reserved for the A9’s. I don’t really care about video ;)

I’d personally like to see the mode dial moved to the left hand side and an addition of a top LCD but I think hell will freeze over first ;)

I wonder if they’ll ever fix the issue of the locking up of camera functions whilst the card is writing?

Bob, one thing I will say is that I thought the same thing, but when I tried a 6400 yesterday in Currys/PCworld, it was surprisingly fine, I really didn't notice any difference. I'm also thinking it might have an advantage as I can see outside of the camera body more easily with my left eye open waiting for my subject to come into view.
That’s OK if you’re a right eye shooter ;) My issue with the Sony RF style EVFs is the size and magnification.

A7c review on DPR, here's a direct link to it on Youtube...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=817&v=yVpLoNYeG0E&feature=emb_logo

I'm not really all that troubled by the lack of custom buttons as these days I mostly just use the custom menu. Another issue that maybe wouldn't be a total killer for me is the evf as it looks like this one is pretty similar to the ones on my Panasonic cameras in that if I don't look smack bang though the middle the edges go blurry. This is annoying if I'm sat at home looking for things to complain about but in actual use it's ok and I forget the evf isn't very good so maybe I'd feel the same about the A7c and I could live with the evf. The big killer for me is still the lack of a front control dial and I'm glad the reviewer talks about that in this video.

It does look to be a nice camera and I can imagine people being very happy with one but having tried to like it I keep coming back to how uncomfortable I find using the spinning back wheel.

Confirms that it would be ideal for me. I think the EVF id just get used to it, plus i do use the rear screen at least 50% of the time. The fact it has the real time AF is the best thing about it for me, plus it really does look just the right size.
See what the full reviews say then look to get one in the new year.

I'll maybe go and take a look Lee.
There's a curry's 5 mins from my house.
I love my A7ii, but the af is slow using my 200-600mm lens.
I'm not sure whether to consider a 6000 series, a7iii or an original a9 to get better af.
If I change, I will need to keep what I get for a very long time.
I don't want to buy say an a7iii and then wish I'd got an a9, but on the other hand, I don't want to get an a9 if an a7iii would be enough....
Decisions eh? :LOL:

That’s OK if you’re a right eye shooter ;) My issue with the Sony RF style EVFs is the size and magnification.

I never though of that. Good point!

Confirms that it would be ideal for me. I think the EVF id just get used to it, plus i do use the rear screen at least 50% of the time. The fact it has the real time AF is the best thing about it for me, plus it really does look just the right size.
See what the full reviews say then look to get one in the new year.

I find my Panasonic GX80 and GX9 fine size wise and they're within range of the A7c, size wise, not too fiddly, and in use I'm pretty sure many people will forget about evf issues unless looking towards the extreme edges of the frame. When using those Panasonic cameras I do try to make an effort and look through the middle.

I'm not sure whether to consider a 6000 series, a7iii or an original a9 to get better af.
I don't want to buy say an a7iii and then wish I'd got an a9, but on the other hand, I don't want to get an a9 if an a7iii would be enough....

I went to two different Currys yesterday, One just had a tiny selection of cameras and none operational to try out. Then I went to the big store at Staples Corner near Brent Cross
and they had a few more and most were operational. I got to try an a6400 and your a7ii.

Yes, decisions! :D I've had the same dilemma as you these last few days. I'm really glad I got to try those cameras out yesterday to help me make my decision.

f I could afford one of those massive 150-600 or 200-600 lens, and if I didn't mind the weight of it, and if I could afford the a9, I would have loved to have that. For me though, after much thought, the a6600 + Sony 70-350mm means I get almost everything I want for an affordable price. It's got the latest and greatest real time tracking, it's lightweight, and it gives me extra focal reach by being crop sensor.

Last edited:
A9, A9 , A9 ;) There's more to consider between the A7iii and A9 than just the AF, blackout free shooting, real time AF tracking thingamabob and EVF (y)
I never though of that. Good point!
I wish I could use my right eye to look through the EVF but I'm so left eye dominant it's ridiculous :banghead:

I wish I could use my right eye to look through the EVF but I'm so left eye dominant it's ridiculous :banghead:

That’s me. But I’m forcing myself/training myself to use my right eye. I only ever BBF and with these small bodies I’m jamming my thumb in my eye too much.
Not second nature yet. But I’m getting there..

Back