The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

That’s me. But I’m forcing myself/training myself to use my right eye. I only ever BBF and with these small bodies I’m jamming my thumb in my eye too much.
Not second nature yet. But I’m getting there..
I can’t close my left eye on it’s own either :help::ROFLMAO:

Now if someone would drop A7c to £1000 I'd buy one :p

Silver looks nice.

I just read a comment under a youtube video that said aps-c lenses don't work with the Sigma MC-11 adapter and someone replied "there's a hack where you remove the inner collar (4 screws) and all aps-c lenses fit." Does anyone know if this is true? If so, that would rule out the Tamron 10-24mm aps-c lens I was considering to go onto the a6600 and then I'd definitely just go with the Sony 10-18mm.

What tracking mode do people use on their A9/A9II? I’m leaning towards wide as I’m usually taking pics of horses so a wider area would probably be better?

Also - can I assign eye AF/face detection to a button as sometimes during tracking it moves to the riders face when I want focus on the horse. Ta!

Just been looking side by side against my RIV and the A9 came second, so wont get one now.

Tracking on the A9 is much better than the A7RIV.

A7RIV is a good camera in great light in terms of image quality and it had a better evf, dual UHS-II and the newer ergonomics but other than its a bit of a dog. Really dislike mine in the end.

A9 beats it for everything other than I.Q.

Last edited:
Tracking on the A9 is much better than the A7RIV.

A7RIV is a good camera in great light in terms of image quality and it had a better evf, dual UHS-II and the newer ergonomics but other than its a bit of a dog. Really dislike mine in the end.

A9 beats it for everything other than I.Q.
I really like the A7R IV and now I’ve finally figured out which AF-C mode is best for me I think AF is very good.

The only frustration I now have is the inability to use many of the functions whilst it’s writing to the cards, but I believe all Sony’s have this.

Just been looking side by side against my RIV and the A9 came second, so wont get one now.
In what regards?
What tracking mode do people use on their A9/A9II? I’m leaning towards wide as I’m usually taking pics of horses so a wider area would probably be better?

Also - can I assign eye AF/face detection to a button as sometimes during tracking it moves to the riders face when I want focus on the horse. Ta!
Isn’t wide basically just auto so you have no control of where the AF point is?

I really like the A7R IV and now I’ve finally figured out which AF-C mode is best for me I think AF is very good.

The only frustration I now have is the inability to use many of the functions whilst it’s writing to the cards, but I believe all Sony’s have this.

The slow writing to the cards is far worse on the A7RIV. It’s a a frustrating camera to use, it reminded me a lot of my old D800 in some ways. It was slow and frustrating to use as well.

Image quality is fantastic in good light so it’s a good choice for certain things.

Looks like you can assign eye af to a custom key.
The slow writing to the cards is far worse on the A7RIV. It’s a a frustrating camera to use, it reminded me a lot of my old D800 in some ways. It was slow and frustrating to use as well.

Image quality is fantastic in good light so it’s a good choice for certain things.
Your experience is clearly different to mine.

dM94a1H.jpg

Can`t remember now as I`m looking at the A9II too :eek::exit:

Unless you are planning a major change in the type of photography you are going to do I really don't see that an A9/II will offer you any great benefit.

On the other hand if you have winnings to spend and nothing else to do with them then why not :)

In what regards?

Isn’t wide basically just auto so you have no control of where the AF point is?

The real time tracking is far better than any auto I have seen

You don’t need control... the A9 is a magical beast and it just knows!

Anyway, there are lots of options and was just wondering what people have most success with.

Tracking wide
Tracking Zone
Tracking Centre
Tracking Flexible Spot S/M/L
Tracking Expandable Flexible Spot

and that’s all just in the tracking option! I need to read the manual or watch some videos on what is best for what!

RIV v A9 found it.

Comparison sites like that don’t give the full picture imo. The A9 has better AF, blackout free shooting and faster frame rate. The A7R IV is better in just about every other department. Which is better will depend on the user (y)

Anyway, there are lots of options and was just wondering what people have most success with.

Tracking wide
Tracking Zone
Tracking Centre

and that’s all just in the tracking option! I need to read the manual or watch some videos on what is best for what!
Real time tracking wide is great if there’s just one face in the frame. I prefer tracking expandable flexible spot as I tell it what to track.

Anyone here use the Tamron 17-28 ? So tempted to buy iy to go along side my 28-200 but not sure how much use it would get ?

Yep, I have one (and the 28-75) both are smashing lenses - I should caveat that statement by pointing out I've only had them a week, but so far I'm very impressed with both.

Anyone got the Samyang 45mm? How does it compare to the Sony 50mm 1.8?

Was thinking of the new 35mm 1.8 Samyang but maybe 45mm is better suited to my type of photography.

Tracking wide
Tracking Zone
Tracking Centre

I mostly shoot birds ( a9mkII ) and use tracking wide and have a button set to Tracking Flexible Spot L so if wide can't quite get it the other will as long as i do my bit .

Rob.

Anyone got the Samyang 45mm? How does it compare to the Sony 50mm 1.8?

Was thinking of the new 35mm 1.8 Samyang but maybe 45mm is better suited to my type of photography.
I like it, renders really nicely. AF on my copy is snappy, although not shot anything moving yet.

I like it, renders really nicely. AF on my copy is snappy, although not shot anything moving yet.

how does the sharpness compare to say your FE85/1.8 (I know they are not the same kind of lens in terms of focal length)

Regarding the a7r4 V a9 I bought the a7r4 thinking it would be the best of both world's ( for birding ) later when the a9II came out it soon became apparent it is faster and has better AF this gives you just a little better chance of getting the shot and imho it does, in the UK birds just don't like people often you only get one chance the a9II gives you that chance so i sold the a7r4 .

Now if i lived in say Florida i would have kept the a7r4 because you get far more chances so if you miss an Osprey well another 20 are out there to give you another go .

Rob

Regarding the a7r4 V a9 I bought the a7r4 thinking it would be the best of both world's ( for birding ) later when the a9II came out it soon became apparent it is faster and has better AF this gives you just a little better chance of getting the shot and imho it does, in the UK birds just don't like people often you only get one chance the a9II gives you that chance so i sold the a7r4 .

Now if i lived in say Florida i would have kept the a7r4 because you get far more chances so if you miss an Osprey well another 20 are out there to give you another go .

Rob

interesting way to look at birding (certainly a valid one too).
the way i was thinking about it is UK birds are also smaller in general. not really a lot of big birds past the swans, geese and may be herons. so cropping really helps.

how does the sharpness compare to say your FE85/1.8 (I know they are not the same kind of lens in terms of focal length)
It’s not as sharp as the 85mm, but then that’s a pretty sharp lens. Subjective I know but the 45mm would go in my “it’s sharp enough” category ;) If I have time I’ll do a couple of comparison tests later this week. From memory the 45mm is sharper wide open that the Nikon 50mm f1.8G if that’s any use?

Back