The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

20% off at Camera Centre UK ebay store with code POPUPSEPT20 (max discount £75)

Couple I spotted that seem decent deals for uk stock.

Samyang 75mm f/1.8 £243.99

Samyang 45mm f/1.8 £231.20

As usual, code works on everything they sell.

but they put their prices up before the discount starts

but they put their prices up before the discount starts

didn’t realise that but £231 for the 45mm is still a really decent price. Just advertised my 35mm 2.8 in the hope it sells before offer is up!

Thanks for the advice.
Ah, so no then...I was hoping it would work OK as I quite like how compact the 100-400 is :(
Well, I might have consider the 200-600 then.

I have the 100-400mm & the 200-600mm and the 200-600mm in my opinion is better than the 100-400mm and it does not zoom out the front element when moving from 200-600
when I arrange to go out shooting wildlife etc I seem to always pick up the 200-600mm - as for TC's I only use the 1.4x I did have a 2x but it was slow and required lots of light to make it of any use

Les :)

I have the 100-400mm & the 200-600mm and the 200-600mm in my opinion is better than the 100-400mm and it does not zoom out the front element when moving from 200-600
when I arrange to go out shooting wildlife etc I seem to always pick up the 200-600mm - as for TC's I only use the 1.4x I did have a 2x but it was slow and required lots of light to make it of any use

Thank you @Lez325 Yes, seems like the 200-600 plus 1.4x is the way to go.

Thank you @Lez325 Yes, seems like the 200-600 plus 1.4x is the way to go.

Or 200-600mm+A7RIV
On the A7RIV at least I didn't notice a huge lot of difference between cropping and using 1.4x TC with 200-600mm. You gain tiny bit of res, but these days with software like topaz gigapixel, you can easily get over that.

If you really want more reach then your next option (if you already have A7RIV) is getting a teleprime. One of the reasons I am considering canon RF since I cannot afford the FE ones.

Edit:
But of course nothing beats physically getting closer to the wildlife.

Last edited:

I assume you mean due to the reach advantage as the 100-400mm has better IQ?

Or 200-600mm+A7RIV
On the A7RIV at least I didn't notice a huge lot of difference between cropping and using 1.4x TC with 200-600mm. You gain tiny bit of res, but these days with software like topaz gigapixel, you can easily get over that.

If you really want more reach then your next option (if you already have A7RIV) is getting a teleprime. One of the reasons I am considering canon RF since I cannot afford the FE ones.

I have honestly thought about the a7RIV but since I also do weddings it;'s a bit overkill I feel.
I'm happy with my a7iii and a9....but many times I wish I had the extra resolution of the a7RIV

I have honestly thought about the a7RIV but since I also do weddings it;'s a bit overkill I feel.
I'm happy with my a7iii and a9....but many times I wish I had the extra resolution of the a7RIV

I shoot the odd Wedding and Christening (Not so many this year of course) and the Sony a7Riii twinned with my Sony 85mm f1.4 DG DN is a superb combo

Or 200-600mm+A7RIV

Edit:
But of course nothing beats physically getting closer to the wildlife.

Nail on the head Sir :) :)

That was my idea!
Do you use the A7rIV for weddings too? Someone in here when I asked a while ago mentioned it wasn't great.

Nope not weddings. I do family and portrait shoots with it and some for kids parties and fancy dresses. It's fine for most part. People complain that it's slow and to some extent it is but you are limited by UHS-1 speeds on your A7III/A9 anyway. So it won't feel much slower than that I think.

Last edited:
Nope not weddings. I do family and portrait shoots with it and some for kids parties and fancy dresses. It's fine for most part. People complain that it's slow and to some extent it but you are limited by UHS-1 speeds on your A7III/A9 anyway. So it won't feel much slower than that I think.

I'm actually OK with the speed on mine, never had a problem.
Main concern for me were low light performance/noise and the size of those files!

Main concern for me were low light performance/noise and the size of those files!

A7III is a little better for noise performance but nothing you can't get over easily with good NR software

Low light performance is pretty poor, the file sizes are a nightmare for a wedding as well. The A7RIV a.f reliability is no where near as good as the A9 even though they have the same a.f system personally I thought when I had my A7RIV that even my A7III was more reliable in terms of a.f. It’s a slow camera to use as well.

The A7RIV is not a good option for weddings unless you are only going to use it for portraits when the light is good or when you can control the light with ocf. You definitely won’t be shooting a ceremony with it.

Low light performance is pretty poor, the file sizes are a nightmare for a wedding as well. The A7RIV a.f reliability is no where near as good as the A9 even though they have the same a.f system personally I thought when I had my A7RIV that even my A7III was more reliable in terms of a.f. It’s a slow camera to use as well.

The A7RIV is not a good option for weddings unless you are only going to use it for portraits when the light is good or when you can control the light with ocf. You definitely won’t be shooting a ceremony with it.

This is exactly my main concern, it would be used along with the a9 throughout the whole day.

@PauBass have look for yourself on DPreviews studio tool (examples below)

how much more noise do you see in A7RIv? at the same time how much extra detail do you see too.
Also look at the finer noise pattern which is lot easier to fix than the blotchy noise pattern in A7III.

Yes you notice more noise while pixel peeping A7RIV files because it has more pixels. but its not really any worst than any other body to the extent that you should avoid it for that reason.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 10.25.25.jpg

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 10.25.49.jpg

Last edited:

That’s not true. Is is the best of the best? No, but it’s not “poor” by any stretch of the imagination (y)

I pixel peep but I can usually remind myself that it's the final image size and viewing that matters.

There is no best of the best anyway. You always compromise in one department or another.
TBH from those samples above I prefer the coarser grain on the R4 rather than the ‘mushy’ grain of the others. In the real world I don’t have to worry about adding any NR until 6400, and even then it’s about 10 at most in LR. That’s on a cropped image too, on an uncropped image I still probably don’t add any NR.

TBH from those samples above I prefer the coarser grain on the R4 rather than the ‘mushy’ grain of the others. In the real world I don’t have to worry about adding any NR until 6400, and even then it’s about 10 at most in LR. That’s on a cropped image too, on an uncropped image I still probably don’t add any NR.

I have stopped using LR for NR now. I use topaz denoise which works incredibly well especially for A7RIV.

That’s not true. Is is the best of the best? No, but it’s not “poor” by any stretch of the imagination (y)

It is poor compared to every other Sony body I have used and I have had a few.

It also poor compared to every full frame Nikon DSLR made in the last 7 years or so. I have had all of those too.

Last edited:
We've had high winds and rain and a drop in the temperature the last couple of days. It's cool today but the wind and rain have eased for the moment but there's just dead flat awful light and next to no detail in the grey sky so there'll be no photography again for me and it's so drab outside we're staying home :(

Maybe some of you can post some pictures in better light to inspire me to hang on in in the hope that we'll get some light in drab northern England. Sometime in my lifetime.

Just received an 85 1.8 purchased from eBay, its used but in mint condition so feels like a bit of a bargain for £360!

Pictures taken with it to follow? :D

I hope you'll be happy with it :D

Back