The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No need there is one in sales right now ;)
Haha. Tbh I’d buy it if I could but I’ve got to pay the Sigma back first before any more purchases (y)

APS-C vs. FF
Like Nikon's DX vs. FX
Yep, but what’s confusing is Sony FF mirrorless is often stated as being e-mount and not fe-mount which is confusing. At least Nikon’s mount was f-mount which is not specifying either FX or DX ;)

Yep, but what’s confusing is Sony FF mirrorless is often stated as being e-mount and not fe-mount which is confusing. At least Nikon’s mount was f-mount which is not specifying either FX or DX ;)

That's correct e-mount is the name of the Sony's mirrorless mount just as F-mount is name of Nikon's SLR mount.

FE is a lens designation synonymous to FX. There isn't really a equivalent to DX because when e-mount started everything was just APS-C by default. There was no FF.

If anyone cares, the A7c apparently has exactly the same DR performance as the A7III...

Obviously I've never handled an A7c but it seems to me to be the most disappointing camera Sony have launched in recent times. It is IMO very probably a missed opportunity and as I've said multiple times I just can't understand why they've done it like this. Stupidity maybe. I must stop reading about this camera as if I buy one I know it'll irritate and annoy me no end.

Last edited:
My 200-600 has just arrived, what a beast! I'd seen videos discussing the size of it etc but also didn't take into account that they're probably not as short as I am haha

Really?

You should have mentioned it.

Deep sigh. God forbid I should express a view on a forum.

Terry, the sniping from you and other joyless oiks is p***ing me off so I'm going to enjoy a little holiday from this forum. Enjoy it as I might be back one day.

Deep sigh. God forbid I should express a view on a forum.

Terry, the sniping from you and other joyless oiks is p***ing me off so I'm going to enjoy a little holiday from this forum. Enjoy it as I might be back one day.

Just add them to your ignore list, i have one on this thread on mine as they just liked to give "banter" as well. The word used to describe constantly taking a dig at someone, but somehow makes it okay.

I fully get the A7C annoys you, i think me and you have some similar desires from the Sony camera which is party why we both stuck with the mk1s for so long, the difference seems to be that you like your vintage manual lenses so i fully get the lack of dial is huge for you.
Me its something i don't use on my mk1 so its a non issue.
I think im 90% sure im going to get the A7C when is the question though, probably wait for at least the first price drop.

Please don't leave woof woof, I enjoy your posts plus you've been very helpful. :ty:

Just add them to your ignore list, i have one on this thread on mine as they just liked to give "banter" as well. The word used to describe constantly taking a dig at someone, but somehow makes it okay.

I fully get the A7C annoys you, i think me and you have some similar desires from the Sony camera which is party why we both stuck with the mk1s for so long, the difference seems to be that you like your vintage manual lenses so i fully get the lack of dial is huge for you.
Me its something i don't use on my mk1 so its a non issue.
I think im 90% sure im going to get the A7C when is the question though, probably wait for at least the first price drop.

less of an issue for manual glass users I'd say. you only need one dial for shutter speed anyway, you have to set the aperture via. the aperture ring.

Sometimes it is banter.
I don't recall anyone saying anything rude or offensive to Alan regarding his dislike of the single dial on the new camera....
I've always respected him as a very knowledgeable guy when it came to Sony in particular.
It's a shame he feels the need to take a break.
:(

Sometimes it is banter.
I don't recall anyone saying anything rude or offensive to Alan regarding his dislike of the single dial on the new camera....
I've always respected him as a very knowledgeable guy when it came to Sony in particular.
It's a shame he feels the need to take a break.
:(

Nothing wrong with a break anyway.

A7C for £1619, not too bad. Showing as in stock as well, thought it was a while off yet.

Last edited:
Hi I have been using the A6300 for a couple of years now it has been a great step up from my previous Nex-5t, I am a light user just on occasional holidays. I do love it, but I am concerned APSC is dead technology, and I should be looking to sell it now, whilst I still have some value in it and save up for a full frame used A7. Whilst it serves my purpose I do not want to be left behind and when its time to upgrade the transition to FF will be more expensive by not selling what I have now. I know that will always be the case but I feel like APSC is a goner.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it not seem like cropped sensors will be a thing of the past in a year or so? (if not already?)

Hi I have been using the A6300 for a couple of years now it has been a great step up from my previous Nex-5t, I am a light user just on occasional holidays. I do love it, but I am concerned APSC is dead technology, and I should be looking to sell it now, whilst I still have some value in it and save up for a full frame used A7. Whilst it serves my purpose I do not want to be left behind and when its time to upgrade the transition to FF will be more expensive by not selling what I have now. I know that will always be the case but I feel like APSC is a goner.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it not seem like cropped sensors will be a thing of the past in a year or so? (if not already?)
I understand your qualms, but I think there's plenty of life in APSC. For a start, the cameras (and associated lenses) are generally smaller, lighter and often cheaper to buy. Not everyone needs FF - unless you're a heavy cropper, or print very large and view it very close, most people will be pushed to discern any real IQ. I have been FF (Nikon Z) and have come back to APSC (Sony A6500) for weight reasons, and while there was a certain sparkle in FF, I think this was mainly due to the superb quality of the native Nikon lenses. In certain quarters (but not on this forum ;)) you might see some "w!lly waving" from those who see FF as a professional camera and look down on smaller sensors. And remember, companies such as Olympus and Fuji (except for the GX range) only produce smaller sensor cameras.

I would NOT buy the A7 - very basic camera , look for a Sony a7iii would be my advice or even the Sony a7Riii & Sony a7Riv , I have both and the immense size of the sensors ( 42 & 61mp respectively) are very useful not to mention the poor battery life of the a7 :(

Obviously this is down to my personal experience, previously having owned the a7 a72 and now the R series

good luck in what ever route you choose

Les :)

Yeah throw it in the bin and buy an A9

Just arrived! Only 6 days from order to doorstep. :banana::clap: :banana:

Can't go outside and test it as god is sobbing at the moment, but I need to find my way around the camera first anyway.

Very nice, thanks for that link nandbytes. :) I've been thinking of maybe going for the rest of the Sigma trio at some point, but a zoom lens like that in the lower focal ranges is versatile and might be more useful to me. That 17-70 would be a tasty a lens and it says it should cost less than the Zeiss 16-70 so should be very affordable without breaking the bank.

I've not been on this thread for a while. I have a question for A9 owners. Do you find you over shoot with the A9? I've been out this afternoon to check out the local deer and on one card I took 861 images (42GB). I still have images on a second card to go through but the MacBook I've been using the last month or so isn't happy as it only has a 128GB SSD!

I've not been on this thread for a while. I have a question for A9 owners. Do you find you over shoot with the A9? I've been out this afternoon to check out the local deer and on one card I took 861 images (42GB). I still have images on a second card to go through but the MacBook I've been using the last month or so isn't happy as it only has a 128GB SSD!
Perhaps stop using 20fps?

Was looking at ordering A7C, is the new kit lens really worth £250 extra??
I'd like the kit lens but can't bring myself spend £250 on it!

Was looking at ordering A7C, is the new kit lens really worth £250 extra??
I'd like the kit lens but can't bring myself spend £250 on it!

I suppose it just comes down to how much you want it now. Chances are they will be changing hands around the £100 mark in a years time.

That's probably more than I've taken the past couple of years :)

For living things yes as you never know what might happen but I would rather do that than miss "The shot" it does not take me to long to go through them and pick out the real keepers.

Rob.

Back