The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hello all,

I am in search for a wide angle full frame sony lens for my A7R II. I have been looking at the Sony 20mm f1.8 and the more pricey 24mm f1.4 G-Master. Is the faster lens of the G-Master wortn the extra money?

Anyone's opinions on their personal experiences with these lenses will be appreciated. Aswell as any other suggestions for a wide angle lens.

Another vote for the Samyang 18mm f2.8. I have one, but may be selling it shortly because I'm using the Sigma 12-24 (A mount on LA-EA4) and appreciate the flexibility and greater wideness of the zoom - hard to justify *for me* having 2 lenses covering this range.

Yet another with no complaints about my Samyang 18mm f/2.8. For the price you can't really go wrong.

I'm surprised it's still there tbh. It's been on there for a week now. They also had a samyang 75/1.8 for £219 which sold out in a day.

I recently haven't had good luck with 3rd party UWA lenses. Both the sigma 14-24/2.8 and Samyang 18mm was decentered.

There is also a loawa 10-18mm with large filter holder for £500 at LCE which is also a nice deal

I have recently got myself a Sony 12-24mm/4.

I took another trip out this evening to see the deer. They are still going. I'm hoping there will be another weekend before it ends.

Red Deer Bellowing
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

The weather has been dull and dreary during this rut (or at least the times I've been able to get out). I'm still trying to get to grips with the A9. I'm noticing I'm shooting at much higher ISO than I would have on Nikon. I think this is mainly due to the f5.6 max aperture on the 100-400. I've been used to faster f2.8 & f4 lenses. I'm starting to notice the stop or two loses is making a difference. I'm compensating by reducing the shutter speed to something a little low for wildlife which is affecting sharpness as there is motion blur introduced. The above photo was taken at ISO 4000, 1/200sec, f5.6. It isn't excusively a Sony issue as it would have been the same on Nikon with an f5.6 lens. I guess I've gotten used to fast long lenses and its bit of a come down not having that extra stop or two when the weather is rubbish. Its a shame Sony don't do a range of f4 primes (but they would likely be stupidly priced).

^ Love that black and white, Stephen.

Sorry, I posted a question in the wrong forum so have deleted it and put in the talk photography forum.

Last edited:
Two very nice landscape style shots Stephen, liking both of these very much, particularly the presentation of the mono image.

George.
Much appreciate you taking the trouble to comment, George. Yes, I favour the mono also. It’s only a couple of miles from home, but it’s the first time I’ve visited. It begs different weather conditions, and even a night shoot.

Really like the composition on the last, with the lead-in lines of the road, and the colours.

Thank you Stephen. I'm not sure if I got a rule of thirds in that last shot, but I think I did, sort of, lol. Well I'm out by the motorway, I've just tried my hand at light trails. I'm going home to process them, hopefully will turn out well. Aaaand... I've gone and lost my Sigma lens cap somewhere in the grass in my excitement to shoot these light trails. :facepalm:

If you've been to Bristol, you'll know this scene........ Not brilliant, but thought I'd share it anyway as had two dull sunrises on the trot...... Monday morning was nice & colourful though :rolleyes:

by Lee, on Flickr
Jealous... the trees here are no where as uniformly changed as that!
Also still lots of green here.

Trees here are starting to turn in places here (although some are just going straight to brown), but the weather's been nothing short of miserable :(

If it's too sunny it ruins the colours too lol
Though with some clever use of polariser you can make it work.

If it's too sunny it ruins the colours too lol
Though with some clever use of polariser you can make it work.
That's why I try to get the golden hours. I don't mind 'gloomy' but it's been so bad here (on the times I've had available) it's just not worth the trouble.

That's why I try to get the golden hours. I don't mind 'gloomy' but it's been so bad here (on the times I've had available) it's just not worth the trouble.
Yeah it's pretty dire. Yesterday was workable though had a nice day out :)

But it was pure luck that the day I had off work turned out slightly better than expected.
Unfortunately I need to book holidays at least a week in advance with no view of the weather forecast. That doesn't help at all.

Last edited:
Trees here are starting to turn in places here (although some are just going straight to brown), but the weather's been nothing short of miserable :(

Cheers. The colours are very on and off here. Some areas are pretty green still.

Yesterday was nice day out... different places/parks but same-ish theme :D

Morning overcast, 200-600 @250mm
50511825083_6203efbe06_b.jpg

Evening clearer skies, 24GM
50512545986_74ea983af9_b.jpg

Maybe alter the white balance a touch so the white marquee especially picks up a bit of the orange sky? I can see you have a bit but not enough

Looks unnatural at the moment.

My first go at light trails. Was good fun and noone around to try and mug me and steal my gear which I'm always conscious of. I think they turned out quite nice. I'm not good with heights so walking along the bridge over the motorway made me quite nervous. :LOL:

Light Trails
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Light Trails 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

My first go at light trails. Was good fun and noone around to try and mug me and steal my gear which I'm always conscious of. I think they turned out quite nice. I'm not good with heights so walking along the bridge over the motorway made me quite nervous. :LOL:

Light Trails
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Light Trails 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

very nice, especially like the second one.
the symmetry with the light bursts, red and white trails works nicely.

very nice, especially like the second one.
the symmetry with the light bursts, red and white trails works nicely.

Thanks nandbytes. I've seen videos of how to do it but thought I wouldn't be able to get it to look good, but it was easier than I expected. 30 second exposures did the trick, and to take the shots so as not to touch the camera apart from focusing, I used the imaging edge app which works fantastic! You'll notice on the second image a rainbow blob on the closest starburst. A spot of moisture or something got on the lens.

Thanks nandbytes. I've seen videos of how to do it but thought I wouldn't be able to get it to look good, but it was easier than I expected. 30 second exposures did the trick, and to take the shots so as not to touch the camera apart from focusing, I used the imaging edge app which works fantastic! You'll notice on the second image a rainbow blob on the closest starburst. A spot of moisture or something got on the lens.

Yes i did notice it, but you should be able to clone it out if you are careful

Yes i did notice it, but you should be able to clone it out if you are careful

Yes, I tried and failed using the spot healing tool. I'll just be more careful to check nothing is on my lens in future.

Last edited:

Light Trails
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Light Trails 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
Very nice, something I have wanted to try for a long time. Got Englands highest motorway near to try it off a very high bridge.

Very nice, something I have wanted to try for a long time. Got Englands highest motorway near to try it off a very high bridge.

Thanks rob. Which motorway is that? A very high bridge,.. you probably won't catch me on that! 1603295054459.png:D

Not perfect but its possible ;)
done in LR
View attachment 296154

Great job! How do you do it, with the clone or heal brush? Do you run a line across so it turns white or just click the circle things?

Great job! How do you do it, with the clone or heal brush? Do you run a line across so it turns white or just click the circle things?

ran "white lines" but the main thing that made the different was after you "heal" (not clone), I used small radial filters to decreased the brightness and increase contrast in those specific 3 areas between the rays

Last edited:
Back