The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

ran "white lines" but the main thing that made the different was after you "heal" (not clone). I used small radial filters to decreased the brightness and increase contrast in those specific 3 areas between the rays

Ah, that's a good idea using radial filters. I'll remember that little tip for future use.

DXO photolabs is showing it will give A7C support from sometime in December, they are usually quick off the mark to give support, fingers crossed then that Adobe will be too.

Abode's DNG converter is available in beta and it kinda works I think. bit of a faff though having to go through an extra step.
the camera is mostly for the missus and she processes things once in 2-3 months so no issues i guess.

A7C ordered and confirmation today that it's coming on Monday! :banana:

Edit:
I have just realised i have nothing to process the RAWs with. LR doesn't support it yet :facepalm:
This was an issue with the ZV-1 (and A7iii come to think of it) but the latest version is OK with them - however there was a frustrating several weeks to wait.
Sony have their own Software which you will want anyway, for video it includes the gyro stabilisation stuff.
You can add a button to export to selected external editor - e.g. Lightroom or PS as TIFF it works reasonably well in a clunky way.
Play Memories will import similar to Lightroom or just do it manually using same folder structure.

I did tend to use the DNG convertor but even that didn't recognise them at first.
A lot of it is little more than a technicality as the software doesn't recognise the camera name - it isn't particularly a different format.

Last edited:
This was an issue with the ZV-1 (and A7iii come to think of it) but the latest version is OK with them - however there was a frustrating several weeks to wait.
Sony have their own Software which you will want anyway, for video it includes the gyro stabilisation stuff.
You can add a button to export to selected external editor - e.g. Lightroom or PS as TIFF it works reasonably well in a clunky way.
Play Memories will import similar to Lightroom or just do it manually using same folder structure.

I did tend to use the DNG convertor but even that didn't recognise them at first.
A lot of it is little more than a technicality as the software doesn't recognise the camera name - it isn't particularly a different format.

the thing with DNG converter is you can batch convert RAWs and I am pretty sure I have automated this in the past too.
but the annoyance is you lose the camera profiles and adobe's default is washed out and an annoying places to start from while processing.

Like you said could just use Sony free software for a little while and preserve colours.

Edit:
I have just realised i have nothing to process the RAWs with. LR doesn't support it yet :facepalm:
The latest LR Classic has preliminary support for the A7C. Whatever that means.

Edit:
Where did you order from?

Hoping captureone hurry up and add support as well.

They used to be my go to place bit their prices haven't been competitive for a while now.

this is the second or 3 item i have ordered grey, but it seems their customer support especially after sales is lot better.
they matched e-infinity online price for me.

this is the second or 3 item i have ordered grey, but it seems their customer support especially after sales is lot better.
they matched e-infinity online price for me.
Make sure you let us know what it's like.

Just seen, have to ask panamoz to price match that one. I actually fancy the silver one.

Another plus point for Panamoz is that they will transfer warranty to a new owner when you sell it next year :D

That wouldn't happen. I'm not the sort to want the new version just because it's new.

Last edited:
Next year?

Would expect it to land in sales well before Christmas.

Not unless there is a replacement for it by then. Needs to be equally small and easy to use for the missus. Not to mention have a small lens for it like samyang 45mm.
The real time tracking makes the whole process so simple for someone like her.

Not unless there is a replacement for it by then. Needs to be equally small and easy to use for the missus. Not to mention have a small lens for it like samyang 45mm.
The real time tracking makes the whole process so simple for someone like her.

I asked my missus if she wanted one and she was like, what only one dial, no thanks!:D

I asked my missus if she wanted one and she was like, what only one dial, no thanks!:D

My missus only uses one dial :p

She mostly shoots indoors so lens is stuck in aperture priority and wide open.
Shutter speed the is only variable to change. ISO automatically limited to 6400. :D

Abode's DNG converter is available in beta and it kinda works I think. bit of a faff though having to go through an extra step.
the camera is mostly for the missus and she processes things once in 2-3 months so no issues i guess.
the thing with DNG converter is you can batch convert RAWs and I am pretty sure I have automated this in the past too.
but the annoyance is you lose the camera profiles and adobe's default is washed out and an annoying places to start from while processing.

Like you said could just use Sony free software for a little while and preserve colours.
I convert my A7R IV files to DNG as it adds lossless compression making files around 60mb instead of over 100mb and I've not experienced any issues. Camera profiles still work, and my presets look exactly the same for both DNG and ARW.

I convert my A7R IV files to DNG as it adds lossless compression making files around 60mb instead of over 100mb and I've not experienced any issues. Camera profiles still work, and my presets look exactly the same for both DNG and ARW.

that's because your LR supports the camera.

that's because your LR supports the camera.
Ahh right sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the DNG converter strips the profiles (y)

I nearly spent £10 replacing my Sigma lens cap that I lost a couple of nights ago doing light trails. Since losing it, I put my Sony 70-350 cap on the Sigma, as they're both 67mm filter thread and have left the Sony at home for the time being. I'm using the 16mm Sigma more at the moment.

Fortunately, my uncropped raw images showed me two places by the railing at the side of the motorway where I was standing that were more than likely to be where I removed the cap and dropped it. So I thought it'd be worth one more look in daylight. I went back just now and did a slow forensic search of the ground and found it hidden under some blades of grass. :banana:

20201022-152756.jpg

Lol, I too have lost lens caps.

Funny story, I once bought B+W Variable ND filter from Amazon.com, it was like £180. When it arrived, I got a Nikon lens cap....Not sure I wanted to cry, laugh or someone knows i was shooting Canon and wanted to play a joke on me.

Luckily Amazon believed my story and resent the filter, I still have the Nikon lens cap. I actually use it and put it on whatever lens that fits. Actually I have a spare Canon lens cap which I also use. I don't really care what goes on it.

However, rear lens cap, I have this OCD that they all have to match. To the point that I get Sony lens caps (or Canon before) and put them on all my Sigma lenses.

I don't understand why one end bothers me more than the other, and I store them with the front lens cap facing up.

Funny story, I once bought B+W Variable ND filter from Amazon.com, it was like £180. When it arrived, I got a Nikon lens cap....Not sure I wanted to cry, laugh or someone knows i was shooting Canon and wanted to play a joke on me.

Luckily Amazon believed my story and resent the filter, I still have the Nikon lens cap. I actually use it and put it on whatever lens that fits. Actually I have a spare Canon lens cap which I also use. I don't really care what goes on it.

However, rear lens cap, I have this OCD that they all have to match. To the point that I get Sony lens caps (or Canon before) and put them on all my Sigma lenses.

I don't understand why one end bothers me more than the other, and I store them with the front lens cap facing up.

Hah, nice Raymond, you got the filter and a bonus cap. I looked at buying a cheap £2 generic lens cap but one person who bought it said it's fine but when it's on he couldn't store his lens hood on it as well. So I thought it would be better just to buy an original. But like you, I want things to match and be part of the same brand, not to mention resale value.

you are not the only one. I also need to have matching end caps!

When I am shooting on the job, most of the time I just put the lens back in the bag or case without the front lens cap but it HAS to have a rear one. So I like them all to be the same as they all the same size. Front lens cap are not the same size and since I put UV filters on all of them, I can be a little more carefree in putting them back without a cap. Plus I don't really have time to find the right size every time.

Hah, nice Raymond, you got the filter and a bonus cap. I looked at buying a cheap £2 generic lens cap but one person who bought it said it's fine but when it's on he couldn't store his lens hood on it as well. So I thought it would be better just to buy an original. But like you, I want things to match and be part of the same brand, not to mention resale value.

I always use generic lens caps.

Not since I nearly lost some fancy Leica one a few years ago!

I watched a video last night with some famous photographer called Joel Meyerowitz and he was using a Leica. Also a trailer from Masters of Photography with a contestant using a Leica. I didn't know anything about Leica and googled it. Blimey, they cost a fortune from like £16,000 to one that sold for £2 million! :eek:

Well I've made the switch finally to Sony from Canon, trading in some of my kit for a Sony A9 and pairing it with the Sony 200-600mm G lens in the next few weeks, I'd be interested in any thoughts on this kit.

Well I've made the switch finally to Sony from Canon, trading in some of my kit for a Sony A9 and pairing it with the Sony 200-600mm G lens in the next few weeks, I'd be interested in any thoughts on this kit.
sticking it in (real-time) tracking, AF-C, point and shoot. things will be in focus and use the EVF for no blackout.
very simple stuff really with that camera :D

Back