The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Where I was earlier. A7 and Sony 28mm f2.

c8LsXp3.jpg

It looks nicer in this picture than it was, cold, raining a bit, dull and grey.

Where I was earlier. A7 and Sony 28mm f2.

c8LsXp3.jpg

It looks nicer in this picture than it was, cold, raining a bit, dull and grey.

Tell me about the 28 f2. Doesn’t get the best reports..

Tell me about the 28 f2. Doesn’t get the best reports..

No it doesn't. I've read that it's quite poor with lots of distortion. I bought it for a few reasons including because it gets hammered a bit and sometimes lenses that get hammered are quite interesting and characterful.

Anyway. It's small and light and even on my ancient A7 if focuses quite quickly and is maybe the fastest focusing lens I have. It seems to be sharp and the colours seem nice and all in all I think it's a decent little lens if not the best in its class for whatever reason. There is distortion and sometimes I correct it (there's a profile for it in the raw converter of CS5) and sometimes I don't depending on the picture as sometimes IMO a bit of character adds something. It focuses close enough too for the odd flower shot or whatever and I've started carrying a close up filter and I have several stepping rings and this lens works well enough with them for when the close focus isn't close enough and you can get some separation at f2 for people shots.

If you're not looking for a state of the art 28mm that's beyond criticism I'd give this one a serious look.

Have a couple of pictures of Mrs WW and a (small) flower picture...

OagkgtE.jpg

mp0fb1x.jpg

0mD8ZqH.jpg

Last edited:
No it doesn't. I've read that it's quite poor with lots of distortion. I bought it for a few reasons including because it gets hammered a bit and sometimes lenses that get hammered are quite interesting and characterful.

Anyway. It's small and light and even on my ancient A7 if focuses quite quickly and is maybe the fastest focusing lens I have. It seems to be sharp and the colours seem nice and all in all I think it's a decent little lens if not the best in its class for whatever reason. There is distortion and sometimes I correct it (there's a profile for it in the raw converter of CS5) and sometimes I don't depending on the picture as sometimes IMO a bit of character adds something. It focuses close enough too for the odd flower shot or whatever and I've started carrying a close up filter and I have several stepping rings and this lens works well enough with them for when the close focus isn't close enough and you can get some separation at f2 for people shots.

If you're not looking for a state of the art 28mm that's beyond criticism I'd give this one a serious look.

OagkgtE.jpg

mp0fb1x.jpg

0mD8ZqH.jpg

Thanks Alan. Appreciate your reply.

OagkgtE.jpg

mp0fb1x.jpg

0mD8ZqH.jpg

The first one is particularly nice and to be honest the lens doesn't look too bad either (y)(y)(y) :)

This guy is looking for an A9 user in Glasgow...

Just a street shot. I used the reflection to add some layers of depth and texture to the image. I liked the strong light and contrast that frames the subject with the strong silhouette.
A7iii and Sigma 35mm 1.4
DSC05555-Edit.jpg by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

Nice, I like that. (y)

This must be because of my red green colour blindness but I'm not really spotting the difference. I know you've changed it for the better I'm not doubting that for a second, but I'm not seeing it. Is it a very subtle change? I think maybe I can see less green in the pavement.

Hi Martin, the change in colour is huge, and at first I was concerned the software had over-compensated, but when my eyes had settled down I realised it really was neutral instead of cyan (1st image) or blue (edit). If colour blindness is a problem as it seems, then use the colour dropper tool on anything known to be white in the image to automatically select the right adjustment.

A mono edit might well be the way to deal with this. (y)

You're very welcome Trevor.

Thinking of getting one? I bought a used one.

Maybe. In the past I really liked a compact with a 28mm lens. I’ve got a Fuji X100 with a wide angle converter. Gives 28my equivalent. I once had a Leica Q compact (28mm). Loved it. Thinking maybe this 28 on my Sony...

Do what I did and pick up a reasonably priced used one and if you don't like it sell it on and you'll not lose a fortune.

OagkgtE.jpg

mp0fb1x.jpg

0mD8ZqH.jpg

On the flip side the 28mm is one of the sharpest Sony lenses according to dxo. I quite liked mine when i had it.

Not Sony but interesting and might have some Sony bits inside! :D

Zeiss ZX1 review at DPR...

It's not my sort of thing at all but hey-ho, it's there and some will love it even at that price.

Last edited:
Not Sony but interesting and might have some Sony bits inside! :D

Zeiss ZX1 review at DPR...

It's not my sort of thing at all but hey-ho, it's there and some will love it even at that price.
So the A7C gets slated for lack of buttons and this gets rave feedback.

So the A7C gets slated for lack of buttons and this gets rave feedback.

I think it works like one of those new fangled smart phone thingies that all the kids have. I'm told they don't have buttons but they somehow know what to do if you poke at them with your finger. They'll never catch on, smartphones I mean.

I think it works like one of those new fangled smart phone thingies that all the kids have. I'm told they don't have buttons but they somehow know what to do if you poke at them with your finger. They'll never catch on, smartphones I mean.
Good job you clarified. Wasn't sure if you meant kids or fingers. :rolleyes:

It has a nicer touchscreen though
But one of the biggest complaints is that you have to do everything with your thumb as there are no front dials or buttons.
All of a sudden it's okay to do everything with a finger, not to mention the lack of tactility means you have to look at what your doing. I just find it funny really.

Had a look at those, of you read into them they're a con no faster than the 95mbs cards except when using a SanDisk card reader.

Will keep an eye on the 300mbs ones 32Gb would be enough really.

I find them noticeably quicker in camera. I'll have to check.

Back