The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

But you'll still have that dinky little m4/3 sensor to deal with....... :D
Yes I agree however sometimes with the 1.4 on the FE 600 = 840mm a bird can just keep coming and you don't have time to take the TC off so you reach a point where you can no longer take a shot and if you start with the 200/600 you don't quite have the reach at f 5.6 or 6.3 No tc so if it stays distant again your out of luck

So dinky little 4/3 would come to the rescue :)

Rob.

The biggest issue with MFT for me is that you're often at an aperture that could at least begin to negate any chance you've got of trying to get near FF equivalent IQ. For me the system works best with wide apertures when you've got a chance of being somewhere in the FF range of f4 to f8 or so, so that's wide open to f4 or so in MFT, but sadly with some of the lenses you can't get to that.

Couldn't resist. :D

20201130-201108.jpg

Everyone needs new toys now and again.

Enjoy :D

Indeed! I bought it with street photography in mind. 85mm is uncommon for that, but honestly, from other street photographer's work I've seen using 85mm, it gives a really nice look, not to mention it makes me more discrete. Not sure how useful it'll be to me in other genres.

I find 85mm just about too long for everything but I can see the appeal, if you have the room.

I took a few pictures of Mrs WW on her birthday so she could send them to her family and friends and 85mm had me up against the wall.

Although I tell myself there's nothing I need those new Sigma contemporary lenses could tempt me. The 35 and 65mm are due out on 18th December and the 24mm on 22nd January but I don't know what that means for the UK or for availability.

The 35mm f2 could potentially replace my Sony 35mm f1.8 and it's not impossible that it could also replace the 35mm f2.8. I'll wait to see reviews. If these lenses are anything like the 45mm f2.8 the rendering could be nice but I do hope they've found a way to keep the rendering and improve the continuous auto focusing.

I find 85mm just about too long for everything but I can see the appeal, if you have the room.

I took a few pictures of Mrs WW on her birthday so she could send them to her family and friends and 85mm had me up against the wall.

Although I tell myself there's nothing I need those new Sigma contemporary lenses could tempt me. The 35 and 65mm are due out on 18th December and the 24mm on 22nd January but I don't know what that means for the UK or for availability.

The 35mm f2 could potentially replace my Sony 35mm f1.8 and it's not impossible that it could also replace the 35mm f2.8. I'll wait to see reviews. If these lenses are anything like the 45mm f2.8 the rendering could be nice but I do hope they've found a way to keep the rendering and improve the continuous auto focusing.

I don't know much about Sigma FF lenses, but if there's an F1.4 Sigma for your cameras, I wouldn't hesitate to get one, you'll love it. They're very sharp. :)

I'm sure there is one and I'm pretty sure there's an f1.2 too, I think, and I'm sure they're both big fat heffalumps. I like more compact lenses.

I just remembered Fuji Dave has the Sigma 56mm f1.4 on full frame. Seems to work well on that, there's no apparent vignetting for an aps-c lens.

I'm sure there is one and I'm pretty sure there's an f1.2 too, I think, and I'm sure they're both big fat heffalumps. I like more compact lenses.

The 56mm is pretty small, about half the size of my Sigma 16mm. It looks to be about the same size as my Canon nifty fifty.

Last edited:
A7RIII query, may be applicable to other A7 series cameras.

Keep noticing that even on a tripod and controlled environment I get random out of focus shots in AF-S.

Decided to do some testing AF-S vs AF-C and most shots on my camera seem sharper when using AF-C.

Odd, as it's literally on a tripod in a controlled environment with the focus point in the exact same place and yet the fine details do seem to be more clear when using AF-C.

Anyone experienced anything similar or could shed some light on this? Puts me off using AF-S even for landscapes.

Keep noticing that even on a tripod and controlled environment I get random out of focus shots in AF-S.

Decided to do some testing AF-S vs AF-C and most shots on my camera seem sharper when using AF-C.

Odd, as it's literally on a tripod in a controlled environment with the focus point in the exact same place and yet the fine details do seem to be more clear when using AF-C.

Anyone experienced anything similar or could shed some light on this? Puts me off using AF-S even for landscapes.

I use DMF quite a lot which I guess works a lot like AF-S at least for the initial focus acquisition.
I have my camera permanently set in AF-C with back button focus and I have set the AEL button with settings recall to do DMF.

Any way not what you are asking for, I have never had accuracy problems on A7RIII or A7RIV with DMF.
I use medium flexible point. Are you using large which is can be less accurate. Perhaps try medium and small flexible points?

Indeed! I bought it with street photography in mind. 85mm is uncommon for that, but honestly, from other street photographer's work I've seen using 85mm, it gives a really nice look, not to mention it makes me more discrete. Not sure how useful it'll be to me in other genres.
Saul Leiter often used a longer lens for street photography - look up his work if you need some ideas or inspiration :D

That's interesting - I am sometimes frustrated that focus seems to have been missed when in AF-S, so may give AF-C a try.

That's interesting - I am sometimes frustrated that focus seems to have been missed when in AF-S, so may give AF-C a try.

I remember that when I first acquired my Sony and watching YouTube for setup help. The phenomenon that AF-S was not quite as reliable as AF-C was mentioned. Can’t remember exactly who said it though.
Consequently I’ve only used AF-C with my Sony cameras. Never had any situations causing me to change tack.

Not sure if this helps?
View: https://youtu.be/9dE3KCMEaJk

I use DMF quite a lot which I guess works a lot like AF-S at least for the initial focus acquisition.
I have my camera permanently set in AF-C with back button focus and I have set the AEL button with settings recall to do DMF.

Any way not what you are asking for, I have never had accuracy problems on A7RIII or A7RIV with DMF.
I use medium flexible point. Are you using large which is can be less accurate. Perhaps try medium and small flexible points?

Usually use medium flexible but I’ll have a play around. Might try DMF as well.

I use DMF.

After reading comments on here about AF-C v AF-S I tried them and found AF-C to be slower than AF-S but my old A7 may not be representative.

Saul Leiter often used a longer lens for street photography - look up his work if you need some ideas or inspiration :D

Yeah, I've been looking at the work of an excellent young UK photographer called Josh K Jackson who is almost a clone of Saul Leiter, and in fact cites him as his biggest influence. I found out that he uses 35, 50 and 85mm. :)

24mm 1.4 GM incoming and I don't usually take photos of trees and green s***, guess i'd better start :rolleyes::confused:

A wider lens can be used for other things than the great outdoors. They can be used people shots too. Maybe for getting a different perspective or simply to get more context. Actually, I've read that wides aren't just for getting more of it in but IMO that's one use for them :D Perspective is another. Creative perspective is yet another :D

A while ago I managed to end up on a blog and the blogger had taken some very striking portraits with a wide... I wish I could remember where that was but I can't. I do remember taking a shot of my then GF who had great legs, I took the shot from lower down and pointing upwards but don't worry it was all in the best possible taste :D She loved that picture as it showed off her legs beautifully :D

Last edited:
I use DMF.

After reading comments on here about AF-C v AF-S I tried them and found AF-C to be slower than AF-S but my old A7 may not be representative.
Definitely be slower in AF-C I think mostly due to the fact the lens won't stop down to focus. AF-S the lens will open up to focus.
So C should be fine if your shooting wide open.

Got Lightopia booked for this Friday. Do I take the 28-200 or the 50 1.8. Thinking the 50 will be best in the dark.

Those of you with the A7iii what do you consider the max ISO. Currently got it set to 6400 but that's what I was happy with from the A7R.

Last edited:
Got Lightopia booked for this Friday. Do I take the 28-200 or the 50 1.8. Thinking the 50 will be best in the dark.

Those of you with the A7iii what do you consider the max ISO. Currently got it set to 6400 but that's what I was happy with from the A7R.

I personally normally used the 24mm f1.4 for such events last two years.

Got none booked this year :(

A beautiful morning for taking pictures here. Sun, blue skies and a touch of frost. Actually the car was frozen up first thing and needed a good scraping.

Come on Sigma... You can do it...

"They will unveil the new 35mm f/2.0, 65mm f/2.0 and 24mm f/3.5 FE lenses."

These do look nicely styled lenses. I'm hoping they're made for a look like the 45mm f2.8 and although the focus issues reported for that lens might not affect me I do hope they've figured out a way to fix it. I'll be interested to read the 35mm f2 reviews.

Anyone potentially interested?

A beautiful morning for taking pictures here. Sun, blue skies and a touch of frost. Actually the car was frozen up first thing and needed a good scraping.

Same here, sunny morning and I've been out with the 70-350mm practising shooting pigeons and crows in flight near the park. Manual mode set at 1/2000 shutter and getting between 100 and 500 auto ISO. I bet they all come out crap, I've yet to take a sharp detailed BIF photo. :p

Come on Sigma... You can do it...

"They will unveil the new 35mm f/2.0, 65mm f/2.0 and 24mm f/3.5 FE lenses."

These do look nicely styled lenses. I'm hoping they're made for a look like the 45mm f2.8 and although the focus issues reported for that lens might not affect me I do hope they've figured out a way to fix it. I'll be interested to read the 35mm f2 reviews.

Anyone potentially interested?

yeah cold be interested in both 35mm and 65mm.
also depends on the price tags.

I've just sat and watched the Sigma vid and I'll now await the reviews.

The 35mm f2 definitely interests me, less so the others as 24mm isn't something I reach for a lot and if I do want 24mm I have several good enough film era ones and the excellent AF Sony 20mm f1.8. At the other end 50mm seems about as long as I usually want so I can't see myself buying the 65mm f2 and I do have the Sony 85mm f1.8 although that doesn't see much use.

I have the Sony 35mm f1.8 and f2.8 so even if the Sigma really tempts me I'll have to think about those. The main weaknesses of the Sony f1.8 are IMO it's a bit big as I like compact kit, it's sharp but the bokeh is IMO just run of the mill for a 35mm and there's some ca in some situations although this may not be a real world worry. The f2.8 is IMO excellent and very compact but only f2.8.

Same here, sunny morning and I've been out with the 70-350mm practising shooting pigeons and crows in flight near the park. Manual mode set at 1/2000 shutter and getting between 100 and 500 auto ISO. I bet they all come out crap, I've yet to take a sharp detailed BIF photo. :p

I gave up long ago and now if it happens it happens at the will of the Universe.

Oh Gawd... After saying there was nothing I wanted and now think I may be interested in that 35mm f2.

People have been speculating on a third control ring on the 35 and 65 maybe being for close focus but it wasn't mentioned in the vid, maybe it's just a styling feature?

not a bad price or size for that matter. the 35mm is priced nearly in line with sony option. it'll need to be optically better in that case.

"Better" will be up for debate if these lenses are like the 45mm and designed for rendering rather than class leading sharpness across the frame. He didn't mention this in the vid but did mention the 45mm so... who knows?

Some 35mm f2 sample pictures.

Rendering looks quite nice IMO but need to see more.

DPR hands on...

From DPR...

"It might be small (only 70mm long, or about 2.7 inches) but the 35mm F2 packs in ten glass elements in nine groups, including one SLD (super low-dispersion) and three molded aspherical elements, all produced in Sigma's factory in Aizu, Japan. This fairly complex design is optimized for excellent control of chromatic aberrations and field curvature. Sigma also claims very good correction of coma, which is good news for fans of low light, wide-aperture shooting."

I may be wrong but that reads to me more like it's designed more for technical performance than smooth rendering as per the 45mm. This may mean that these lenses don't have the reported (by some) AF-C issues of the 45mm though.

DPR also say rounder aperture on the 35 and 65mm so no nice sunstars.

Last edited:
Back