The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I just bought a newer NAS but I went for the QNAP TS-230 with a 4TB Seagate Ironhorse NAS HDD.

The QNAP has 4 times the RAM of the Synology
Asustor are my favourite more for your money but it's expected you know what your doing a bit more. Not as user friendly.

I couldn't be without a NAS or server at home now. Being able to access everything from anywhere on anything is great and all protected from drive failure and backed up incase of virus.

Last edited:
These posts always peak my interest then I look then up and find out they're APS-C.
I'd have had that 50 f1.2 otherwise.

Yeah, that 50 TT Artisan is aps-c and manual focus only, but the Yongnuo 35m f2 is for FF and aps-c.

I've only watched one video review so far. That was enough at the moment. It done a fair comparison with the Sigma f/1.2

I watched the camera conspiracies guys video. He hates the focus breathing and prefers the f1.8. I'll watch and read some reviews later just out of interest.

I think the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 tempts me more than this new Sony 35mm f1.4. I can see the appeal though, and it might be something for me to think about but at the mo the f1.8 is good enough for me. I think. I might change my mind though :D

I only skimmed Jarod Polin's video, I dunno why but the way he put the Sigma 35/1,2 with the hood down and REVERSED but the Sony 35/1.4 GM with the hood on properly REALLY bugs me.

I watched the camera conspiracies guys video. He hates the focus breathing and prefers the f1.8. I'll watch and read some reviews later just out of interest.

I think the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 tempts me more than this new Sony 35mm f1.4. I can see the appeal though, and it might be something for me to think about but at the mo the f1.8 is good enough for me. I think. I might change my mind though :D

tbh, I haven't really studied the f/1.8 that much. I might spare an hour at some point. My concern with lenses is the oof areas in woodland scenes. I'm not saying the CV40 oof is perfectly smooth, but I do like it.

Ahhh finally.
I know Sony would eventually make a FE 35mm f1.4 G Master, next up will be the FE 50mm f1.4 G Master I think. :)

If you get a lens that has no contacts is there anyway of having the camera tag certain photos so you know what lens was used.
Such a shame Laowa lenses don't have EXIF.

Ahhh finally.

I know Sony would eventually make a FE 35mm f1.4 G Master, next up will be the FE 50mm f1.4 G Master I think. :)

Looking at the range there missing a lot of UWA primes.

My homemade semolina last night. Semolina, sugar, milk, boiled and simmered, raspberry jam. Gotta love milk puddings. :D

Semolina
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

My homemade semolina last night. Semolina, sugar, milk, boiled and simmered, raspberry jam. Gotta love milk puddings. :D

Semolina
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
I made a rice pudding the other night.
Rice
Whole milk
Condensed milk
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Butter

I'm with you can't beat a milk pudding.

I made a rice pudding the other night.
Rice
Whole milk
Condensed milk
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Butter

I'm with you can't beat a milk pudding.

Sounds lovely. How long did it take to cook?

Takes me back to my schooldays. A girl nicknamed Semolina Susie, she....better not say anymore...I’m sworn to secrecy.

:LOL:

Sounds lovely. How long did it take to cook?

:LOL:
I did it in the instant pot so about 25 minutes.
Not as nice as the oven but I was in a rush.

I did it in the instant pot so about 25 minutes.
Not as nice as the oven but I was in a rush.

What rice did you use, was it pudding rice or something like regular white long grain?

What rice did you use, was it pudding rice or something like regular white long grain?
About 80% pudding rice and the rest basmati rice as I ran out. To be honest I couldn't tell there was a difference. We buy basmati rice by the sack so about 20kg at a time so always have plenty.

About 80% pudding rice and the rest basmati rice as I ran out. To be honest I couldn't tell there was a difference. We buy basmati rice by the sack so about 20kg at a time so always have plenty.

Oh I love basmati, it's the best flavoured rice there is and the aroma when boiling it is lovely. Not tried it with rice pudding.

If you get a lens that has no contacts is there anyway of having the camera tag certain photos so you know what lens was used.
Such a shame Laowa lenses don't have EXIF.

Looking at the range there missing a lot of UWA primes.

No idea but maybe something you can do in processing post capture?

It's quiet in here... too quiet...

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. This lens doesn't get a lot of love but this certainly looks sharp to me...

bUeYiYz.jpg

Just my little joke :D

It's quiet in here... too quiet...

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. This lens doesn't get a lot of love but this certainly looks sharp to me...

bUeYiYz.jpg

Just my little joke :D
I wouldn't mind this lens - but I've told myself not to buy any more till I've gone out and tried what I've got.

I use it a lot but maybe it doesn't get a lot of love for a reason, or several reasons. It's a bit Marmite. It's mushy in the extreme corners, there's glow and dreaminess at f1.x and the bokeh at f1.x is definitely going to divide opinion. It is however miles better on my A7 than the old M mount version, it's sharp enough at f1.4 anywhere in the frame you'd want to place your main point of interest and the bokeh tames as you stop down. Plus it's compact and light for an f1.4 these days and very well made.

One thing I have found is that the close focus performance is IMO quite acceptable with a close focus filter fitted as it allows close up pictures to be taken whilst the lens is not set to its closest focus distance, and that improves the image quality and it's perfectly adequate for flower and other detail pictures.

If you do think about getting this lens I'd advise looking at example pictures to make sure you're happy :D

I use it a lot but maybe it doesn't get a lot of love for a reason, or several reasons. It's a bit Marmite. It's mushy in the extreme corners, there's glow and dreaminess at f1.x and the bokeh at f1.x is definitely going to divide opinion. It is however miles better on my A7 than the old M mount version, it's sharp enough at f1.4 anywhere in the frame you'd want to place your main point of interest and the bokeh tames as you stop down. Plus it's compact and light for an f1.4 these days and very well made.

One thing I have found is that the close focus performance is IMO quite acceptable with a close focus filter fitted as it allows close up pictures to be taken whilst the lens is not set to its closest focus distance, and that improves the image quality and it's perfectly adequate for flower and other detail pictures.

If you do think about getting this lens I'd advise looking at example pictures to make sure you're happy :D
I’ve already got two Voigtlanders - the 21mm and the 15mm. And I imagine the characteristics are the same. Lovely to use. I’ve never been one for a razor-thin dof so opening up to f1.4 is mainly irrelevant. But I don’t think a purchase will come about soon - for a start I need to be sure that 35mm is more “me“ than my existing 28mm and 45mm lenses.

I’ve already got two Voigtlanders - the 21mm and the 15mm. And I imagine the characteristics are the same. Lovely to use. I’ve never been one for a razor-thin dof so opening up to f1.4 is mainly irrelevant. But I don’t think a purchase will come about soon - for a start I need to be sure that 35mm is more “me“ than my existing 28mm and 45mm lenses.

I think that particular 35mm gives more of an Leica M Mount Voigtlander look than the much cleaner images you get from the E mount Voigtländer lenses.

The new 35mm f1.4 is soooo much better than the M mount one though, in just about every respect. I can't think of a single way in which the M mount one is better or in any way that it even gets close to the E mount lens. The E mount one is so much better it's hard for me to believe they're related, it's effectively a new lens, IMO, such are the differences on my A7. The E mount lens may not be to everyone's taste especially wide open but try them side by side on an A7 and there's just no contest, IMO. Unless you specifically want the look the M mount version gives on an A7.

The new 35mm f1.4 is soooo much better than the M mount one though, in just about every respect. I can't think of a single way in which the M mount one is better or in any way that it even gets close to the E mount lens. The E mount one is so much better it's hard for me to believe they're related, it's effectively a new lens, IMO, such are the differences on my A7. The E mount lens may not be to everyone's taste especially wide open but try them side by side on an A7 and there's just no contest, IMO. Unless you specifically want the look the M mount version gives on an A7.

Ah. Nice to know. And be corrected. I thought it gave the same type of blur and corners etc but obviously not :)

The E mount one has mushy extreme corners that improve a bit but are never really sharp on stopping down. It is only the very extreme corners though. If anyone is interested I'll count the pixels but IMHO it's not something to worry about unless you want to pixel peep the extreme corneras and see near perfection. For many compositions the extreme corners may be far from the point of focus and out of the dof anyway, so that could be another reason not to worry. The main issue is imo the funky bokeh at f1.x. I've read that once stopped down to f2 it's similar to the Zeiss Loxia 35mm f2 but I've never used one of those.

Certainly both my present Voigtlanders are E mount and I wouldn’t even consider the 35 in anything but. It’s my understanding that the rear lens has been changed from the M mount to give a better angle of strike (if that’s the correct terminology) on a digital sensor.

No idea really what they've done. I do know that Sony use a thicker glass over the sensor and that needs to be accounted for when designing lenses. Apparently :D The E mount lens just does everything better IMO.

AFAIK the 40 and 50mm f1.2's were also reworkings of M mount designs but the excellent 50mm f2 apo was a new design for Sony, I don't know about the recent 35mm f1.2 though.

35GM pre order placed.

Waiting on finance confirmation which 99.9% chance there won't be an issue. Don't need it but they are offering interest free so........

Didn’t see that coming. What is it that persuaded you ?

35GM pre order placed.

Waiting on finance confirmation which 99.9% chance there won't be an issue. Don't need it but they are offering interest free so........
Interest free is lethal, I bought my Sigma 85mm Art because of that :LOL:

Back