The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Interest free is lethal, I bought my Sigma 85mm Art because of that :LOL:

Up to 24 months!! I opted for a 20% deposit & £100 a month for a year.

Didn’t see that coming. What is it that persuaded you ?

Ummmmmm....

Several small things.......

Mainly, anything in this focal range with AF has to be an 'improvement' or have 'benefits' over the CV40/1.2 - basically, it has to replace it. I don't think any of the other 35mm AF lenses would do that & I'd be disappointed in them for that reason. The FE35, Samyang f/1.8, the f/2.8's all have little things that I know I wouldn't be happy with either technically or in use.

I just feel that the 35GM could be that lens & if it isn't then I don't think anything will!!

Up to 24 months!! I opted for a 20% deposit & £100 a month for a year.

Ummmmmm....

Several small things.......

Mainly, anything in this focal range with AF has to be an 'improvement' or have 'benefits' over the CV40/1.2 - basically, it has to replace it. I don't think any of the other 35mm AF lenses would do that & I'd be disappointed in them for that reason. The FE35, Samyang f/1.8, the f/2.8's all have little things that I know I wouldn't be happy with either technically or in use.

I just feel that the 35GM could be that lens & if it isn't then I don't think anything will!!

Thanks Lee. I get ya. Did you get any idea of delivery date ?

It seems I can’t post more than one image, is there a reason for this thanks Chris

It seems I can’t post more than one image, is there a reason for this thanks Chris
Is it because your doing them as attachments rather than images?

Setting the alarm for a reasonably local, early morning, sunrise walk I think :)

It'll be good for us to do that I think.

Edit - That's ^^^ a lot of thinking for a Saturday night with a beer :)

You’re over thinking it..

A7C e-infinity £1309

I've been so tempted but it's no sale at any price to me I'm afraid. No front dial and other niggles including being limited to 1/4000 with the mechanical shutter and no way to automate switching between electronic and mechanical. As always good luck to those who own and love the camera but for the same reasons I keep looking at the A6xxx series and then changing my mind I'll never own this camera, unless there's nothing else :D

Just to state the obvious, and in no way trying to sway you, but if you use manual lenses the single dial doesn't matter as you control aperture on the lens itself. No, I'm not offended that you won't join me. ;) :D

Just to state the obvious, and in no way trying to sway you, but if you use manual lenses the single dial doesn't matter as you control aperture on the lens itself. No, I'm not offended that you won't join me. ;) :D

I only have one lens that needs aperture control on the camera - FE85. When I use it (rarely) it really throws me on changing it & also moving the focus point! :ROFLMAO:

Even with a lens mounted aperture ring there's the issue of not being able to shoot at wide apertures in good light without using the electronic shutter (or Gosh forbid ND's) and remembering to switch back as and when necessary. It just seems such a primitive clunky set up compared to my aging Panasonic cameras which switch automatically.

I get stuck in my ways, tend to avoid technology and dislike change so would prefer to use tech as I want until I absolutely have to change. There are lots of areas in which tech is moving away from how I want to use it and there's not a lot I can do except make do and mend and carry on using the old stuff as long as possible until I face a choice of giving up or reluctantly buying the new stuff I really don't like.

I've been so tempted but it's no sale at any price to me I'm afraid. No front dial and other niggles including being limited to 1/4000 with the mechanical shutter and no way to automate switching between electronic and mechanical. As always good luck to those who own and love the camera but for the same reasons I keep looking at the A6xxx series and then changing my mind I'll never own this camera, unless there's nothing else :D
Just use electronic shutter all the time, mines been set that way permanently so far and zero issues, EFCS only when there is fast movement and artificial light.
Like above said you don't need the extra dial, and most decent Sony Lenses seem to be getting aperture rings now like the 20mm you have.

I absolutely love the camera the lack of front dial even in full manual mode is just a non issue you just adapt to doing it a slightly different way.
You'd gain stabilization for all your lenses, much better AF, it's lighter and smaller than even the MK1 bodies, battery lasts forever.

Just use electronic shutter all the time, mines been set that way permanently so far and zero issues, EFCS only when there is fast movement and artificial light.
Like above said you don't need the extra dial, and most decent Sony Lenses seem to be getting aperture rings now like the 20mm you have.

I absolutely love the camera the lack of front dial even in full manual mode is just a non issue you just adapt to doing it a slightly different way.
You'd gain stabilization for all your lenses, much better AF, it's lighter and smaller than even the MK1 bodies, battery lasts forever.

Banding under artificial lights and I just don't like using the back wheel.

I know I'm awkward and don't like change and good luck to those of you who own and love this camera but although I'll always be tempted I'll never willingly buy one... I'd only buy one if for some reason it was the only real option, and then only reluctantly.

A front dial and 1/8000 shutter speed or at least the option of having the camera automatically switch to mechanical shutter above 1/4000 might get me interested but looking at the A6xxx range it's not going to happen.

Hey Alan, consider though, have you ever personally needed 1/4000 or faster, do you really need that? Of the photos you've posted the last few months (all very lovely) I've not seen any that would need such a fast shutter speed. Unless you also shoot birds in flight?

You'd get used to having no front dial in a matter of minutes. My Canon 5D2 of course has front dial and within a few minutes of using my a6600 when it first arrived I didn't miss the dial at all.

I would say buy the a7c and try it out, you know you want to. :D And if you don't care for it, sell it. :)

I quite get Alan's point - this is not the camera for him. The advantages aren't enough to overcome the poor design choices, and it would be a worse tool than he already owns.

I wouldn't buy one either, for similar reasons.

Hey Alan, consider though, have you ever personally needed 1/4000 or faster, do you really need that? Of the photos you've posted the last few months (all very lovely) I've not seen any that would need such a fast shutter speed. Unless you also shoot birds in flight?

You'd get used to having no front dial in a matter of minutes. My Canon 5D2 of course has front dial and within a few minutes of using my a6600 when it first arrived I didn't miss the dial at all.

I would say buy the a7c and try it out, you know you want to. :D And if you don't care for it, sell it. :)

I don't know how many pictures I have taken with faster than 1/4k but certainly a lot, maybe hundreds, maybe thousands. In the great scheme of things hundreds or even a few thousand pictures may not seem that significant as it's only a fraction of the pictures I/we take and I'm not the greatest fan of zero dof shots anyway but sometimes I do take pictures at f1.x-f2.8 in good light and it's an option I don't want to lose or have to think too much about.

I'm going through pictures today and putting some from the last few weeks into the folder I often run a slideshow from and of the 78 new additions only two could potentially be issues, one at 1/4,000 and one at 1/6,400 and there are another six in the folder. I do appreciate that the electronic shutter is a viable option but it involves extra steps and thought. For example if I normally leave it on electronic shutter and then take a picture with artificial lights in it banding could be an issue and I'd rather not have to remember to call up the option and change to mechanical and then at some point maybe get caught out and wonder why I can't shoot at +1/4,000 and have to remember and reselect the electronic shutter again. Or, if I leave it on mechanical and come to talk a shot at wider aperture on a sunny day I could be left staring at a flashing shutter speed and wondering why, until it dawns on me. This is where the Panasonic solution is so blindingly obvious... I set it to auto and it shoots with the mechanical shutter until a faster speed is needed and it then automatically switches to electronic and then reverts to mechanical again when the shutter speed drops. I don't know why Sony haven't implemented a similar system.

The A7c does appeal to me for one strange and probably only me reason... I don't seem to be able to hold my A7 level and quite a few pictures need a very small rotation, not much, sometimes a degree or maybe even less but even such a small amount can irritate me so I have to level it :D With my RF style cameras this doesn't seem to be an issue and I very rarely need to level a picture taken with my Panasonics. I don't know why, I'm sure it's just me :D

Oops! Just ordered a Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 E. And I’m sober. :eek:

haha!

AFAIK we're the only two owners here? I'll be interested to read what you think as it's a bit Marmite :D

I do like it as it's small and just gorgeous to use. Just watch that funky bokeh with a messy scene. Oh and for close up shots I'd recommend a close focus filter. I use a cheap No.4 one. I usually take one with me just in case I see some interesting detail I want a close up shot of.

I don't seem to be able to hold my A7 level and quite a few pictures need a very small rotation, not much, sometimes a degree or maybe even less but even such a small amount can irritate me so I have to level it
I have that issue too.
I started to think I had one leg longer than the other.....

Steve Huff on the new Sony 35mm f1.4...

He makes me want one.

Last edited:
haha!

AFAIK we're the only two owners here? I'll be interested to read what you think as it's a bit Marmite :D

I do like it as it's small and just gorgeous to use. Just watch that funky bokeh with a messy scene. Oh and for close up shots I'd recommend a close focus filter. I use a cheap No.4 one. I usually take one with me just in case I see some interesting detail I want a close up shot of.
Don't worry - I didn't pay full price! MPB had one. From examples I've seen, I think it will suit me. Bokeh doesn't bother me - it is what it is and I think it's over-thought. Most non-photographers will not give it a second glance. It's the subject they're interested in.

I have that issue too.
I started to think I had one leg longer than the other.....

I'm waiting to have an op on my right foot but that can't be the problem as I'm ok with the RF cameras :D It's something I'm conscious of but I can't seem to get it right all the time with the A7. Dunno why when my GX9 and GX80 are just about exactly the same size just minus the EVF hump.

Don't worry - I didn't pay full price! MPB had one. From examples I've seen, I think it will suit me. Bokeh doesn't bother me - it is what it is and I think it's over-thought. Most non-photographers will not give it a second glance. It's the subject they're interested in.

Good. I really like the look this lens gives including the bokeh when stopped down. f1.4-1.8 is IMO the only really questionable range and only really with a messy scene, for some scenes even f1.4 isn't a problem.

Sony 35mm f2.8, Sigma f2, Sony f1.8, Sony GM 35mm f1.4 and the last one is the Sony 28-70mm which is slightly bigger than the 20mm f1.8 and therefore the biggest Sony mount lens I have.

35.jpg

If I do get one the f1.8 would have to go but I'd keep the f2.8 because it's tiny.

Last edited:
I see a lot of people recommend the Tamron 28-75mm with the a7iii, I'm having problems finding a decent hand one and thinking about buying from efinity, anyone suggest where to look for one in the UK?

I see a lot of people recommend the Tamron 28-75mm with the a7iii, I'm having problems finding a decent hand one and thinking about buying from efinity, anyone suggest where to look for one in the UK?
I recently sold mine to MPB. Don’t know if they still have it.

Mpb seems to have a couple
Normally you can get a good used copy for line £500-550... You'll have to be a little patient though.
Might be worth putting up a wanted thread in the sales section on this forum, I know a number of people have this lens.

Mpb seems to have a couple
Normally you can get a good used copy for line £500-550... You'll have to be a little patient though.
Might be worth putting up a wanted thread in the sales section on this forum, I know a number of people have this lens.

I’ve got one en route at the moment from e-infinity (@£569).

Back