The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Actually got to use some cameras today. Well CCTV cameras anyway :p

Have had to install them all around the outside of the house as a dispute with a neighbour has got a bit out of hand.

What a pain, never thought I would have to resort to putting in CCTV but the attempted poisoning of my dogs was the last straw.

I use a camera most days. It's therapeutic.

We have awful neighbours. My sister had some a few years back who used to throw sharp things over the fence attempting to hurt her dog. The police came for other matters and the whole family did a runner in the night but as they went the kicked in my sisters gate, presumably hoping the dog would get out and run away or be run over.

Well, I've striped. cleaned, the tripod & managed to put it back together. Walked the dog to see my kids & back (had to drop some stuff off) about 2-2.5 miles & I might shortly go for a run before it rains!

hi all after some advice please... been helped here in the past. i am a bit of a beginner so can't share much camera wisdom.

i am wanting to take video with my a6300 that will be longer than 30min, i know there is a software tweak on the Alpha series to remove the limitation. The next issue is overheating... i have read/watched on YT that moving the LCD out, using a dummy battery, flipping up the flash, using a Smallrig housing can assist with dissipating the heat build up.

one thing i have read was using as fast a SD card as possible- they range massively in price, and i don't to break the bank when it isn't necessary. i plan to record 4K 100mb video, so my card should be 100mb minimum i presume. there are some Lexar ones relatively reasonable advertising 250mb, but this is to read, which i presume is of no odds to me? i googled some more, and found the camera only writes at 32mb so regardless of if the card is super fast or not, will this assist with the overheating?

many thanks if you read all that!

:eek:
WTH!! your neighbours are bats*** crazy! and that's just unacceptable. I'd have called the police.

I did, all they could do was give me a crime reference number, there has been loads of other stuff too, they stole my eldests Christmas present, damaged cars, then there is all the silly things ringing taxis to our house etc.

Long runs the fox as they say.

As it's dead quiet here...

The rumor site reports a couple of things.

Firstly they say Sony outsold Canon in interchangeable lens camera sales in Japan...

And secondly, the most sold cameras...

Best high resolution cameras compared...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2tcc8ooDas&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:
"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a young lady playing a Flute (I think), and accompanied by her dog. And yes I did ask if I could take the shot and naturally I put some money in her pot.

RX10M4, 1/320th @ F4.5, ISO-200, Handheld.
Street Performer (6)-03501 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a young lady playing a Flute (I think), and accompanied by her dog. And yes I did ask if I could take the shot and naturally I put some money in her pot.

George.

Super - and I think B & W makes it.(y) (I think it may be a type of recorder?)

George.
Lovely tones, and plenty of emotion.

Super - and I think B & W makes it.(y) (I think it may be a type of recorder?)

Thank you kindly Malcolm, I sure do appreciate your reply.

"You may well be right on that, I didn't think to ask the lady what it was she was playing"

George.
This is lovely George. I didn't appreciate it fully at first as it's too big for me on here and I can't see the whole image without scrolling, but i've just viewed on flickr and it's fab, really captured a moment and feeling (y)

George.

Wonderful image and street photography there. You are much better at it than I am.

This is lovely George. I didn't appreciate it fully at first as it's too big for me on here and I can't see the whole image without scrolling, but i've just viewed on flickr and it's fab, really captured a moment and feeling (y)

Thank you kindly Toby, I sure do appreciate your reply.

Wonderful image and street photography there. You are much better at it than I am.

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.

"Its just luck and anticipating peoples movements, candid street styled photography is without a doubt though my favourite type of snapping"

Last edited:
Modern day street photography normally just passes me by but that one is nice George :D

Other stuff... As it's quiet again in here...

It's pouring down here again and yesterday I went out but didn't take a camera as it was... pouring down.

Meanwhile the rumor site links to a Petapixel piece on Nikon's troubles.

I suppose these days we should be grateful if any of the camera/lens industry survives.

Sigma 35mm f2 review...

One of the biggest issues seems to be vignetting but looking at the Sony 35mm f1.8 I don't thing the Sigma is significantly worse.

Here's the vignetting results, Sigma then Sony...

The Sigma looks better at f4 and beyond.

I haven't noticed vignetting to be a big problem with the Sony.

I probably wont get this Sigma, but I keep looking and thinking :D and I'm still waiting for Fred Miranda to test it.

Last edited:
It's pouring down here again and yesterday I went out but didn't take a camera as it was... pouring down.

Same here so far this week. What a crap week to be on furlough...... :rolleyes:

Still I've organised bags & camera stuff, cleared out & tidied the PC desk, drawers & under shelf, been out for some dog walks, a run & even sold a lens last night!! :oops: :$

I still want to salvage an old table top that's in the garden & I still want to give the A7 sensor a wet clean!

I think tomorrow has to be sun/showers & Friday is looking pretty bright at the moment!!

Got to say the 35mm f1.4 GM looks really good, I'm tempted and I'm not even a 35mm shooter :LOL:

Sorry if this has been asked already (not been on the forum much lately) but do we think a 50mm f1.4 GM will be on the cards? I like how small the 35mm is compared with other 35mm f1.4's so it'd be nice if they could make a 50mm that's 'relatively' small.

Got to say the 35mm f1.4 GM looks really good, I'm tempted and I'm not even a 35mm shooter :LOL:

Sorry if this has been asked already (not been on the forum much lately) but do we think a 50mm f1.4 GM will be on the cards? I like how small the 35mm is compared with other 35mm f1.4's so it'd be nice if they could make a 50mm that's 'relatively' small.
I doubt it, not even seen a rumour. What about the existing 50mm 1.4 it's supposed to be stellar optically which for me is where it counts.

Surely something like a 14 or 16mm GM prime will be next.

I doubt it, not even seen a rumour. What about the existing 50mm 1.4 it's supposed to be stellar optically which for me is where it counts.
Size and weight also comes into it for me (y)

I have two modern 50's, the Sony 55mm f1.8 and the Voigtlander 50mm f2. I don't think I use the kit enough to justify spending over £1k on another lens but then again you can't take it (money) with you.

I've been thinking of selling my MFT kit as I'm not using it but then again what would I get for it? Pennies.

Oh, and the Sony 20mm f1.8 continues to impress me as in low light it's still fast to focus and very nearly at MFT focus speed levels.

I think Sony hinted at a 50mm f1.2 possibility, they might just do that since that's what all the Kool kidz are doing these days.
I don't think it will relatively small

no GM lens is cheap :p

I am guessing Sony's marketing probably dictates GM lenses have to be £1k+. No reason not to make the 20mm GM lens, its optically best in class yet "only" a "G" lens

Last edited:
Just a simple Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of a discarded & dilapidated boat/hull that is just one of the many things that are scattered about the beach that have just been left behind to rot. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasise the rot & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/220 @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld
Discarded Boat (4)-03503 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

I think Sony hinted at a 50mm f1.2 possibility, they might just do that since that's what all the Kool kidz are doing these days.
I don't think it will relatively small
Maybe Sigma will do a DG DN version (y)

Just a simple Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of a discarded & dilapidated boat/hull that is just one of the many things that are scattered about the beach that have just been left behind to rot. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasise the rot & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

I think you'd like Marske, there are some boats that've been on the beach for years.

This is more me.

Direct...

Tempted?

I'm still following these on Fred Miranda.

Last edited:
This is more me.

Direct...

Tempted?

I'm still following these on Fred Miranda.
No I have completely gone off the idea of the 35 f2.
Its not small enough to replace my 35 f2.8 and it's not fast enough to go along side it.
I think the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 SE will be my second 35.
I'm going to go for the Sony 20mm f1.8 as well that's my next lens.

I think you'd like Marske, there are some boats that've been on the beach for years.

Thank you kindly Alan, that's much appreciated.

"Strange you should say that, as when the first lock down was in force I was kinda helping out delivering PPE stuff to out of the way places mainly around the difficult to get to areas of Scotland etc using "Choppy". I did actually see "Maske" from the air and thought it looked interesting and had planned on high tailing it up there when we hopefully get better times. Dungeness though is good for me as I bought one of the old cottages there a time or two back to use when I just want some solitude, and other times I let it out for vacation breaks. I have been staying there myself since before Christmas so I have been using the opportunity to get a few snaps while out walking on the beach"

Back