The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There is an A7RIV in sales already, how many more to come? :ROFLMAO:

Great price though especially with 1.5 years UK warranty left in it

Last edited:
Yeah the A1 looks crazy good, maybe now I can finally pick up a cheap A9 :cool:

Retailers are selling used Sony A9 for about £2039 - £2459

Wex trade in for Sony A1,

Trade-in modelTrade-in value*You could pay
Sony A9 Body£1,535£4,964
Sony A9 II Body£2,205£4,294
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Body£1,319£5,180
Nikon D850 Body£1,353£5,146

imagine Sony A9 on ebay will go somewhere between, maybe £1900

I can't actually see the A1 making much difference to A9 prices because if the big difference in prices.

Maybe, but you always get a group of people that simply must have the latest and greatest which would hurt the A9/A9ii sales.

Well I wasn’t expecting an A1. Interesting to see they can now shift 50MP images at 30fps. That’s a huge amount of data to shift! Ive turned the A9 down to medium 10/12?fps as I was taking far to many images and it was taking far too long to cull them for a minute difference. 30fps is just taking stills from video isnt it?

Maybe, but you always get a group of people that simply must have the latest and greatest which would hurt the A9/A9ii sales.
You may get one or two but I can’t see many upgrading due to the price. there may be a couple of initial bargains but long term lack of supply will keep the price up. At £6499 it’s 3 times what I paid for a second hand A9 so I wont be upgrading anytime soon! With the high MP its likely some A7Riv owners will be inclined to make the swap, especially those who bought it for cropping for wildlife/sports.

If Sony sold it at the same price as the R5 then there may be more demand which plenty moving across from the likes of Nikon. I can see the canon rival being the 1DX mirrorless equivalent when it does transfer from DSLR.

I’d like to see Sony start filling out the long lens line up. They need to add to the long lenses as currently there is only the 100-400, 200-600, 400 f2.8 and 600f4. I’d like to see a lightweight 400 f4 thats thd mirrorless equivalen of the canon. 300 f2.8 would be nice too. Don’t fancy seeing the prices of either of though!

Last edited:
Well I wasn’t expecting an A1. Interesting to see they can now shift 50MP images at 30fps. That’s a huge amount of data to shift! Ive turned the A9 down to medium 10/12?fps as I was taking far to many images and it was taking far too long to cull them for a minute difference. 30fps is just taking stills from video isnt it?

You may get one or two but I can’t see many upgrading due to the price. there may be a couple of initial bargains but long term lack of supply will keep the price up. At £6499 it’s 3 times what I paid for a second hand A9. With the high MP its likely A7Riv owners will be inclined to make the swap, especially those who bought it for cropping for wildlife/sports.

If Sony sold it at the same price as the R5 then there may be more demand which plenty moving across from the likes of Nikon. I can see the canon rival being the 1DX mirrorless equivalent when it does transfer from DSLR.

I’d like to see Sony start filling out the long lens line up. They need to add to the long lenses as currently there is only the 100-400, 200-600, 400 f2.8 and 600f4. I’d like to see a lightweight 400 f4 thats thd mirrorless equivalen of the canon. 300 f2.8 would be nice too. Don’t fancy seeing the prices of either of though!
I can only see pros and the really wealthy buying it at launch tbh, I can’t see that many A7RIV owners making the swap. Double the RRP and probably 3x what they’d get for trade in for the R4. You could buy an A7RIV and A9-II grey instead ;)

I can only see pros and the really wealthy buying it at launch tbh, I can’t see that many A7RIV owners making the swap. Double the RRP and probably 3x what they’d get for trade in for the R4. You could buy an A7RIV and A9-II grey instead ;)

I'd rather own this over A7RIV+A9ii unless the A1 dynamic range doesn't match well with A7RIV.

An A7RIV just went for £1875 in sales :eek:
That's simply amazing value for money. I'd be willing to pay £2.5K-ish for a camera body.... so when A1 gets to £2.5K I will look into buying it. so that like 5 years I guess?

I think that’s how Sony got to that price (‘It’s the A7Riv and A9II in one body so let’s price it the same as buying the two’). I can see the benefit of having the two in one body. At least you wouldn’t worry whether you have the right camera with you.

anyone know how much data it would be shift every second at 50MP and 30fps? its going to need some big memory cards!

I think that’s how Sony got to that price (‘It’s the A7Riv and A9II in one body so let’s price it the same as buying the two’). I can see the benefit of having the two in one body. At least you wouldn’t worry whether you have the right camera with you.

anyone know how much data it would be shift every second at 50MP and 30fps? its going to need some big memory cards!
From memory Nikon Z7 lossless compression files are circa 55mb so would expect A1 lossless to be around 60mb so what’s that, 1,800mb/1.8gb of data every second? :eek:

71s of shooting and that’s a 128gb card full :LOL:

A lot of the features on it are for pro sports photographers and such, largely irrelevant to most of us.
There will be a more consumer orientated cheaper version which is much better value with surprisingly few compromises.

I paid £6550 for my first car.
Wow you must’ve had a nice first car ;) Mine was just under £3k IIRC, had manual everything including manual choke and manual door locks :LOL:

to be fair once the grey import is available youd likely be looking at around £5200. The A9ii and A7Riv at e finity would currently be £5199 together.
It’s a shame you can’t get trade in bonuses on grey ;)

A lot of the features on it are for pro sports photographers and such, largely irrelevant to most of us.
There will be a more consumer orientated cheaper version which is much better value with surprisingly few compromises.
I can’t see them dropping the A9 at 24MP as not everyone will need a high MP camera.

From memory Nikon Z7 lossless compression files are circa 55mb so would expect A1 lossless to be around 60mb so what’s that, 1,800mb/1.8gb of data every second? :eek:

71s of shooting and that’s a 128gb card full :LOL:
Ahh cr*p .......... I only have 64GB cards

There is an A7RIV in sales already, how many more to come? :ROFLMAO:

Great price though especially with 1.5 years UK warranty left in it

I on the verge of getting an A7C but the A7R iv has also caught my eye, as has the R6 but it has a few issues of concern, but I'm wondering if the A7R iv is worth going for over the smaller sized A7C and will I need outstanding optics to make use of the mahoosive pixel count?

I on the verge of getting an A7C but the A7R iv has also caught my eye, as has the R6 but it has a few issues of concern, but I'm wondering if the A7R iv is worth going for over the smaller sized A7C and will I need outstanding optics to make use of the mahoosive pixel count?

I have both i.e. A7RIV and A7C. nice glass of course helps especially if you enjoy pixel peeping but most recent glass will do fine on it.

I would not touch anything purchased outside the UK now thanks to Brexit

I have both i.e. A7RIV and A7C. nice glass of course helps especially if you enjoy pixel peeping but most recent glass will do fine on it.

How do you find them both with photography and also video? I think I've become a little obsessed with 10-bit 4:2:2 but after watching many, many videos I've noticed that sometimes a good sensor etc at 8-bit 4:2:0 can be as good or better.

This is not A1 or even Sony related but is worth a quick read... The Olympus 40mm f2... Want one?

:oops: :$

I have the humble 50mm f1.8. Actually I have 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5. How much will I get for them as a set? £24,000? :D

Me too - Hillman Imp. :)

I'm hoping this will push the normal price of a used A7rIII below £1000. ;)

I was £800 I think for a Toyota Starlet in gold and the best seats ever! Ran her for over a year without any water in the radiator by accident and she still ran sweet. Can't fault Toyota reliability.

I was £800 I think for a Toyota Starlet in gold and the best seats ever! Ran her for over a year without any water in the radiator by accident and she still ran sweet. Can't fault Toyota reliability.
£400 for a Vauxhall Viva HC......

How do you find them both with photography and also video? I think I've become a little obsessed with 10-bit 4:2:2 but after watching many, many videos I've noticed that sometimes a good sensor etc at 8-bit 4:2:0 can be as good or better.

For video A7C seems better to be honest especially if you want to use it on a gimbal with small lenses. has better video AF too with a articulated screen. for my purposes i.e. small family clips almost any camera will do inc. smartphones so I am not the best person for talking video.

Still wise A7C has slightly better AF and ISO performance. Its noticeably smaller in hand than A7RIV especially to carry around with a small prime for example. you may find the lack of forefinger dial annoying. but the articulated screen is nice to have.
A7RIV has a large body, more pixels, slightly higher dynamic range at base ISO.
Guess all depends on how and what you want to shoot.
if I could only have one body it'd be A7RIV because A7C has some limitations like no forefinger dial, no option to turn off EFCS, 1/4000s shutter etc.

Last edited:
My first car was a beige Austin Allegro with matching beige PVC interior, was given to me free of charge by a family friend when I was 17.

Back