The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Bit of advice needed I'm wanting something longer for my a7mkii/a6000 so the tamron 150-600 grabbed my attention I have the commlite adapter so I was thinking I could get the Canon version what are people's thoughts on this combo. It would be used for airshows and some birding

Bit of advice needed I'm wanting something longer for my a7mkii/a6000 so the tamron 150-600 grabbed my attention I have the commlite adapter so I was thinking I could get the Canon version what are people's thoughts on this combo. It would be used for airshows and some birding
cant speak for the a6000 ... on the a7mkii its slllooooowwwww imho

Might be worth waiting until the new Sigma MC11 is released and look at the Sigma 150-600 for Canon? (pretty sure this lens was on the adapter list?)

good question I'm unsure i think it was at F8, but i,ll check....

Is that an issue though at F4 surely i shouldn't see it, or could the filter be causing it at F4 ?
just seen a review where it does it right up to f8 :/ time to save up for the 2.8 LOL

Might be worth waiting until the new Sigma MC11 is released and look at the Sigma 150-600 for Canon? (pretty sure this lens was on the adapter list?)
Yeah its the way I,ll go if i get 1 MC11 ad 600mm

Yeah its the way I,ll go if i get 1 MC11 ad 600mm

It's what I'll probably end up doing. Where I've moved to recently I have far reaching views over the countryside that look amazing at first light. Not sure a 70-200 (next on my purchase list) will be long enough. Plus I can buy the lens for the Missus who uses Canon. Then steal it ;)

Love the idea of getting a few Art primes in time. Who knows, maybe the Sigma adapter will work with Canon glass down the line as well.....

good question I'm unsure i think it was at F8, but i,ll check....

Is that an issue though at F4 surely i shouldn't see it, or could the filter be causing it at F4 ?

Sometimes you will see some vignette wide open. Shouldn't see it at f8 though. Has it only just started happening?

Sometimes you will see some vignette wide open. Shouldn't see it at f8 though. Has it only just started happening?
To be honest i don't know ive only just noticed it, ive just googled it and the F4 versions is known to Vig up to F8.....so not great only very slight but its there......only notice it on blue skys

To be honest i don't know ive only just noticed it, ive just googled it and the F4 versions is known to Vig up to F8.....so not great only very slight but its there......only notice it on blue skys
Just realised that what i was shooting yesterday was Jpeg thus i see it more, when i use RAW it gets corrected in LR.........or so i read...

I use the lens profiles in CS5 and they save processing time, I assume LR has something similar. I'd have thought that there'd be an option to have jpeg's corrected in camera?

Just realised that what i was shooting yesterday was Jpeg thus i see it more, when i use RAW it gets corrected in LR.........or so i read...

Theres a box in LR you can tick to correct distortion and then a slider to add or reverse vignette

All the Meyer samples Ive seen just look like tarted snapseed photos. Not a fan of the bokeh, looks onion ring like some fast zooms.

gluehbirnenfriedhof_1200-1024x684.jpg

Last edited:
Off on a bit of a tangent here but seeking advice about a laptop suitable to process A7R2 files. Looking at 15 inch MacBookPro and wondered what specifications people would suggest.

Off on a bit of a tangent here but seeking advice about a laptop suitable to process A7R2 files. Looking at 15 inch MacBookPro and wondered what specifications people would suggest.

I Have 15inch mac pro:

24g ram, i7,processing the files well in LR but storage space is a big issues. had to get a 2 tb portable HD

I use desktops my eyes cant handle the small screens but yep a MacBook will be ok for editing

I have a 15" min-2010 MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz i5, 8GB RAM and 480GB SSD.
Processing the A7RII RAW files can take a while.
I'm waiting for the new 2016 MacBook Pro so I can upgrade.
My current MacBook Pro copes but I'm after faster performance. :)

I did my first pro shoot with the new camera (A7R II) last night.
I challenged myself and did it entirely with the manual Contax G 90mm + Yongnuo 560 TX - Worked lovely.
The files are much bigger and need to wait more when I edit them, even that the PC is fast.
But the quality, especially with this Contax G - OMG :) Much better than the Canon 6D.

Overall - Very happy :)

I did my first pro shoot with the new camera (A7R II) last night.
I challenged myself and did it entirely with the manual Contax G 90mm + Yongnuo 560 TX - Worked lovely.
The files are much bigger and need to wait more when I edit them, even that the PC is fast.
But the quality, especially with this Contax G - OMG :) Much better than the Canon 6D.

Overall - Very happy :)

Great Stuff!

Did you shoot with just the normal evf view or with peaking or magnified view or any combination of and did you focus at your chosen aperture or wide open and stop down?

I get the best results when focusing wide open and then stopping down to shoot but it's a slower process.

Great Stuff!

Did you shoot with just the normal evf view or with peaking or magnified view or any combination of and did you focus at your chosen aperture or wide open and stop down?

I get the best results when focusing wide open and then stopping down to shoot but it's a slower process.

It was my first field test of this A7R II, and first pro shoot done with manual lens, so not sure if I did it in the best way.

- I shoot using the EVF, but with settings OFF (if this is the right way to say it) - so it was bright all the time
- I used peaking (high) with magnified view (sometimes double magnified view - x11 ?) When I double magnified - the quality of the EVF is not the best (even set on high in the settings - may be because I did not have a model light, only the ambiance lights)
- Most of the photos done wide open (F2.8), and at the end I switched to F4. Of course I missed a few :)
- I found it much more difficult to focus compared to AF with Canon 24-70 II on Canond 6D, It takes much more time, but the results are good. like it.

P.S. Here is an example from the shoot:
http://photosample.co.uk/smoking/

Last edited:
Laptop wise i have 2
Dell Workstation I7 Extreme 8 gb Ram and dual drives but its a bit heavy and its getting dusty due to lack of use
I use a fully loaded 27Inch Mac Retina 5k for my main editing, but when portable i use this

http://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-Pro-UX501VW/
Its got the worlds fastest boot drive and a 4k screen

here is a video of it booting, in my 25 years in IT ive yet to see anything as quick even a mac doesn't get close.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2gjaO8vVDY

If you want a MAC then the pros with 16gb Ram would be good and the biggest Hdisk you can afford, don't think you can get fusion drives, But be aware the Mac Book Pros about the be refreshed in the coming months

ok back to my lens, ive been eyeing up the 70-200 SOny but when i look at the Canon on ebay i can get 1 for 500 is the sony vastly better or am i wasting my money 999 Uk sterling or 750 if i go Grey...
For the money i can easily get a 70-200 canon V1 and a V1 100-400 any issues with these 2 lens ?

Nice little mk1 canon 24-70 in the classifieds at a bargain price works great with metabones ;-)

ok back to my lens, ive been eyeing up the 70-200 SOny but when i look at the Canon on ebay i can get 1 for 500 is the sony vastly better or am i wasting my money 999 Uk sterling or 750 if i go Grey...
For the money i can easily get a 70-200 canon V1 and a V1 100-400 any issues with these 2 lens ?

Can't answer your question, but I've been looking at secondhand Sony 70-200 f4 prices and see they are going for £6-700 on eBay at the moment. I'm hoping when the new f2.8 is released prices will drop a little and then I'll buy one. I did consider the Canon but think I'd prefer to stay native (the new Sigma adapter may change my view here).

image.jpeg

Ordered the 70-200f4 from Panamoz as need a zoom for the weekend. Will report back. Here's a shot I got with one I previously owned.

So I've bought a 2nd hand lens Canon 70-200 F4 USM none IS, but with having 5 axis i should be ok shouldn't i ? please say yes LOL
only cost me 360 which isn't bad and its like new.....

phew i know a new 1 is 475 on Wex but I've saved a few quid buying this, it'll tie me over till i decide if i want Canon 100-400 or 600mm Sigma....
Edited due to nabness

Last edited:
So I've bought a 2nd hand lens Canon 70-200 F4 USM none IS, but with having 5 axis i should be ok shouldn't i ? please say yes LOL
only cost me 360 which isn't bad and its like new.....
It'll be better than not having it, but IBIS becomes less effective at longer focal lengths. At 70mm you'll be fine, but at 200mm you'll notice it being less effective than an in-lens system.

I'm more than a bit miffed that during my two week little break the weather was naff and it was dull with no sky except for a featureless grey / white expance every day but true to form on Sunday morning the weather changed and it's been sunny with a blue sky and the odd white cloud since and is again today.

I feel like emailing God to complain.

Last edited:
Back