The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

wonder that that "game changer" the SAR is talking about is. (Medium format) RX camera with curved sensor? E mount camera with moving sensor autofocus? Now that would be a true game changer.

The 400mm is coming. I've got my fingers crossed the announcement is today, and I've been told that availability will be pretty much immediate.

There's more difference between the 100-400 and a 400mm prime than just the weight and size. I've shot primes for so many years that I've literally forgotten how to zoom. I'm used to lining up a shot based on the fized focal length, plus being able to use aperture to separate the subject from the background, something you just can't do with the slower aperture zooms.

I really want to see how a long prime feels on the A9 body, with or without the grip, to be able to decide whether the switch is worth it. Around a circuit, handling the gear for 10+ hours a day, the feel is important.

I was about to pull the trigger on an A7RII but I'm glad I held out a while. I don't essentially need the high resolution, so depending on the A7III specs (I know there are rumours but I want 100% confirmed specs), I may place a pre-order on one..

I guess we'll have to wait until October for the following....

Sony A7 III
FE 135mm f1.8
FE 400mm f2.8 / 4.0

I was secretly hoping Sony would implement fully electronic stabilization for stills+video. That'd be new and game changing. Would also give me smaller body I want :D

Stand down Alan, your wallet can stay in your pocket...
Dunno why you say that, was sure I said I wouldn't be buying one. Unless Santa brings me one, and that's not likely boys and girls, the chances of me getting one are pretty much zero. The camera I have will do nicely.

Last edited:
Dunno why you say that, was sure I said I wouldn't be buying one. Unless Santa brings me one, and that's not likely boys and girls, the chances of me getting one are pretty much zero. The camera I have will do nicely.

I was only joking Alan. I know you've already said that the A7 does everything you need (as it does for me) :0)

Well... I care for someone with Alzheimer's and life can be hard and upsetting and Tuesday was a very bad day. I do have a loving Mrs and happiness in my life but sometimes I do need a little lift and sometimes I do buy myself a little toy even when I don't need one so an A7III isn't completely impossible even if the A7 is really all the camera I need. Everyone likes getting new nice toys :D

Well, my A6500 / 18-105 kit i bought last month for £1720 has ended up costing me just over £1k. First, i claimed the cashback from Sony (£190), then as i'm moving to NZ i can claim the VAT back which works out at £226 from Jessops (i don't know how they work it out). Finally, the 3% top cash back i was expecting has tracked at 10% and so i'm now expecting £172 back from it, guess i got me a bargain :D

Well, my A6500 / 18-105 kit i bought last month for £1720 has ended up costing me just over £1k. First, i claimed the cashback from Sony (£190), then as i'm moving to NZ i can claim the VAT back which works out at £226 from Jessops (i don't know how they work it out). Finally, the 3% top cash back i was expecting has tracked at 10% and so i'm now expecting £172 back from it, guess i got me a bargain :D

You deserve it for working through all that :D

Hi all
Has anyone here any experience of using a Sigma 150-600 & MC-11 on an A9, I am thinking of the autofocus performance of course, I am currently using it with a A7RII but if I am photographing anything that is likely to move
I transfer it to my Canon 7DmkII, I really dislike having to use two systems so if it works ok I would be prepared to bite the bullet, sell a lot of other gear and pay out for the A9.
Thanks in advance for any sensible replies.

Future Nikon CSC will be FF...

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

"In an interview with Xitek Nikon confirmed that Full Frame will be the way to go for their new mirrorless system camera. They also said this:
  1. The design will be inspired by their long history of mirrorless film cameras. It will neither be fully retro nor fully modern
  2. They said they don’t like the Sony A7 camera design
  3. They will appeal professional photographers. They think only few professionals currently use Sony-Fuji-Olympus mirrorless cameras
I don’t think it will be easy for Nikon to succeed in this market when they will launch their FF camera in 2018…"

Last edited:
One of the rumor sites recently reported patents for fast Nikon mirrorless lenses, maybe they'd make more sense on a larger body? Possibly a more expensive and more top end system? Time will tell.

It was only a matter of time Nikon introduced a competing FF mirrorless system, far Sony has dominated this segment.

Having read a separate article about Sony, they confirmed that Sony DI have first hand internal access to future sensor technology etc. The Sony A9 was apparently in the works 3 years ago based on the sensor design expectations! :eek:
That's some head start over its rivals.

I read that too.

It didn't surprise me that Sony knew what sensor would be available in three years time as they're at the forefront but it did surprise me a little that the product (camera) development took so long.

It does make me wonder what Sony and others have got in the pipeline now.

Back