The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I seem to be taking sunsets at the moment.
A6500 with the little Zeiss 35mm c-biogon.

Moray Firth Sunset
by Elizabeth Oldham, on Flickr
Hey Elizabeth lovely image!! Think the bicycle helps set the mood with the sunrise, the vibe I'm getting is that sometimes you just gotta stop, and enjoy the little things (or big things in this case haha the sunset) by the use of the static parked bicycle, anyways great image!

On a whole different note anyone here have an Epson 1500w? & if so, if someone takes it apart, for example disconnects the ribbon and the buttons, how difficult is it to put back together?

Hello
8ae2d842b58bf4177d4da227e29ccd13.jpg

Same as mine but mine don’t have the TTL
You have two?

Anyways i like this post.

My conversion from Canon to Sony happened a LOT faster than expected. In two ways. First, I didn't expect to even consider Sony until an α9R hit the market, then I'd wait and see what the reviews said, then I'd wait for the price to drop or for used bodies to be available, then, maybe, I'd buy one. But with Canon showing their hand with the 6D Mark II with regards to pushing the technological envelope (summary: they'd rather be complacent), I decided to give the α7RII a try. Second, I really didn't think the α7RII was as good as it is. It's definitely been a pleasant surprise.

One of the things I promised myself when considering a move from Canon to Sony was that I would focus on getting things as small as possible without sacrificing too much. During the conversion, I went from...

• 5D Mark IV --> α7RII (I also had a 5Ds but I'm going to hold off on a second Sony body for now - wanting the α9R)
  • EF 16-35 f/4L IS --> FE 16-35 f/4
  • EF 35mm f/1.4L II --> FE 35mm f/1.4
  • Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art --> FE 55mm f/1.8
  • EF 85mm f/1.2L II --> Batis 85mm f/1.8
  • EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM --> nothing - I might pick up the 100 STF
  • EF 135mm f/2L USM --> Batis 135mm f/2.8
  • EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM --> Nothing, never used it anyway, considering a RX100 V
  • EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II + EF 2x III converter --> FE 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G
I didn't lose much in terms of light and shallow depth of field capabilities except with the 85 primes and the telephoto zooms, but I'm okay with that given the substantial difference in performance/weight for the 85 and weight/size for the telephoto zoom.

What I gained was a smaller kit and I'm so thankful for it. I also gained a lot of technology that has improved my images thanks to

• compositional freedom
  • more accurate focusing
  • face/eye detection and tracking
  • lower shutter speeds thanks to IBIS.
  • better skin tones - yeah, I think Sony's skin tones are better! Especially for my ginger wife and son which Canon made much too orange/yellow.
I also went from 2 of the Canon 600EX II-RT flashes and 3 of the Yongnuo 600EX RT-II flashes (plus MagMods for all of them), a Canon transmitter, a Yongnuo transmitter, and an Orlit RoveLight 610 HSS TTL strobe to a much smaller lighting kit. I now have the Flashpoint Zoom (aka Godox V860II), Flashpoint Mini-Zoom (aka Godox TT350), and 1 Flashpoint eVOLV 200 (aka Godox AD200) with another and the twin head on the way (thanks to a sale at Adorama yesterday), and 2 R2 transmitters.

Thanks to all this downsizing, rather than use a Pelican iM2950 I've fit everything into a Pelican 1510 which is MUCH smaller. To put it into perspective, the iM2950 is 4.5 cubic feet whereas the 1510 is 1.6 cubic feet. The weight difference is just as dramatic. The weight difference for just the case is 42 lbs vs 15 lbs, and then you factor in the weight savings from the equipment on top of that... WOW!

When I go out with a shoulder bag, the bag used to weigh SO MUCH and be rather bulky. Now, with a similar lens setup, the same bag is MUCH lighter and it's not bulging out either.

I lost a little more money on my Canon gear than I thought I would during the switch thanks to a fairly soft Canon market right now, at least in my opinion. But it was worth it and it wasn't an alarming amount by any means. Also, because I bought everything used, or new at a fantastic discount, I'll basically break even once I pickup a second camera body (right now I'm several thousand $$ ahead).

This post is just me thank you all. All of the forum people, YouTube personalities, reviewers, etc., for sharing your insight and experiences with Sony's E mount system - good, bad, and indifferent. It's been incredibly enlightening and educational. Without y'all, I would not have switched and would have remained blissfully ignorant.

I'm including a shot of my Pelican 1510 case. I know that if/when I add the 100 STF and another body, I'll have to rearrange the case, but I think I can still make it all fit

I see that the Rumor site is still receiving what they think are credible reports of something surprising coming...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumors-surprising-sony-camera/#disqus_thread

If it's true... what could it be?

Medium format? Some new and unexpected iteration of the A7/A9 cameras? Something FF in an A6xxx style body? Maybe something I'd have no interest what so ever in like some sort of vid camera? Maybe another GoPro type thingy?

I think my bet is for MF as we've seen the Hasselblad and Fuji MF offerings with a Sony chip in them. If that's what it is I'll read the reports with interest safe in the knowledge that I'm too tight to buy one :D

Guess we'll have to wait and see... :D

Last edited:
I see that the Rumor site is still receiving what they think are credible reports of something surprising coming...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumors-surprising-sony-camera/#disqus_thread

If it's true... what could it be?

Medium format? Some new and unexpected iteration of the A7/A9 cameras? Something FF in an A6xxx style body? Maybe something I'd have no interest what so ever in like some sort of vid camera?

I think my bet is for MF as we've seen the Hasselblad and Fuji MF offerings with a Sony chip in them. If that's what it is I'll read the reports with interest safe in the knowledge that I'm too tight to buy one :D

Guess we'll have to wait and see... :D
The funny thing would be is if all the G master lenses where compatible with such a camera! Game changer there

Nice photos...
http://www.albertdros.com/single-po...Sony-Zeiss-16-35-f4-for-Landscape-Photography

New Sony A9 firmware out folks..... nothing too exciting really. :D

Bildschirmfoto-2017-09-27-um-09.58.38-700x162.png

Sony A9 new firmware update 1.10

1. Supports “Eye AF” function for A-mount lenses via the LA-EA3 mount adapter (This function is only for A-mount lenses which can adapt to 8 or 10 fps (maximum) tracking AF-C shooting.
    See here for details)
  2. Fixes an issue where RAW files may disappear when SDXC or microSDXC memory cards are used in certain smartphones (Raw data recorded by the ILCE-9 with firmware Ver. 1.00 or 1.01 could disappear. Please backup your raw data files, even if you’re updating the system software to Ver. 1.10.)
  3. Improves the image quality and overall stability of the camera

Last edited:
Charts.... phwoooar.
Can’t beat a good chart :p

So much better than a real life image ;)

I suppose you two couldn't muster up the will to click on the link and see the pictures that aren't charts. They're only trees on a hill and corner crops etc but deffo not charts, just another way of testing the lens. Dunno why I bother... The young today... Future of the country etc...

Nice self portrait Twist.

Earth Humour can't be easy for you but keep at it and you'll get there.

just received a 'OB' used copy of the 35mm f1.4 from Wex. Stopped it down to f8 to test for it being de-centered, crude just looking on the LCD as I'm at work but looks sharp. Will do some more tests tonight.

Finally putting my A6500 to good use :D

37368695701_ca4f96fd93_b.jpg

23517030228_f0c9c5e811_b.jpg

Bonus points for guessing where i am ;)

(The gopro is currently doing a 2 second timelapse of sunset and the A6500 is set for bulb mode when it gets a little darker.)

Finally putting my A6500 to good use :D

37368695701_ca4f96fd93_b.jpg

23517030228_f0c9c5e811_b.jpg

Bonus points for guessing where i am ;)

(The gopro is currently doing a 2 second timelapse of sunset and the A6500 is set for bulb mode when it gets a little darker.)

USA?

All wrong, currently in the middle of an electrical storm but i don't seem to be catching any lightning, 30s/F/4 ISO 100 :confused:. Unless the Sony monitor just isn't catching it.

Oh, and i'm in Bangkok :D

All wrong, currently in the middle of an electrical storm but i don't seem to be catching any lightning, 30s/F/4 ISO 100 :confused:. Unless the Sony monitor just isn't catching it.

Oh, and i'm in Bangkok :D
Change to 2000's! Or 1000's maybe 500 but at 30th you are dragging. Fire at will like a machine gun

Change to 2000's! Or 1000's maybe 500 but at 30th you are dragging. Fire at will like a machine gun

ahhh, i'll try that next time then, i'm sure i'll see more whilst i'm here!

Back