The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've got the batis version. Sensational

Wasn't sure the batis justified it's price after doing a lot of research, I know you bought it before the fe was launched so makes perfect sense.

I don't really do 85 much so well see how it goes. Still a niggle about the whole system tbh but I also like a lot about it. If only the a7rii had the a9 AF.

Last edited:
The Rumor sute reports tgat a range of Sigma orimes is on the way...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-...-full-range-primes-development/#disqus_thread

I do hope these are lenses designed for Sony mount and not DSLR lenses with an adapter welded on the end.

No 50mm eh? Come on Sigma, do a 50mm f2.8 macro.

If you look at the Sony FE lenses some of them are exactly that. You can literally see the mount at the back. I'm not to bothered, they (hopefully) won't chatter so should be fine. If they are smaller then they won't be Arts and id not go there.

I'm not sure they'd crank them all out at once though. They couldnt even do it with dslr lenses, to expensive.

Last edited:
If you look at the Sony FE lenses some of them are exactly that. You can literally see the mount at the back. I'm not to bothered, they (hopefully) won't chatter so should be fine. If they are smaller then they won't be Arts and id not go there.

I'm not sure they'd crank them all out at once though. They couldnt even do it with dslr lenses, to expensive.

Which ones?

I could be interested in a Sigma 35mm f1.x and maybe a 50mm macro but sadly the latter doesn't seem to be in the mix and I'm probably more likely to go for a Voigtlander 35mm f1.x if the write ups are good.

Which ones?

I could be interested in a Sigma 35mm f1.x and maybe a 50mm macro but sadly the latter doesn't seem to be in the mix and I'm probably more likely to go for a Voigtlander 35mm f1.x if the write ups are good.

How about this one...

1268044.jpg

Fe85 1.8 ordered. Looks a cracking lens, especially the programmable button. Think the 55 would've been to close to my 35 ART with the humongous cropping ability of the a7rii.

I have that same combination (A7Rii, 35 ART, fe85) and love them. However sometime the 35mm ART is sometimes not quite enough and the 85mm is sometimes too much. I have just added the 55 so will see how it goes.

As to the new sigmas, be interested to see how big any 35mm is and how it compares to the ART

I can't see you being unhappy with the 55mm f1.8. it is imo excellent.

Wasn't sure the batis justified it's price after doing a lot of research, I know you bought it before the fe was launched so makes perfect sense.

I don't really do 85 much so well see how it goes. Still a niggle about the whole system tbh but I also like a lot about it. If only the a7rii had the a9 AF.

Be interested to see what you think of the 85mm, reviews seem good but always fancied the Batis 85

The Zeiss Batis lenses are quality with very snappy AF and robust handling.
If Zeiss made the Batis lenses with AF-Hold buttons I might have stuck with them as they offer a good price point for the performance.
You also get 3 years UK warranty which is great.

Sony then released the FE 85mm f1.8 which is a bargain in the 85mm line-up.
Each one offers something the other doesn’t, for example the 85GM is slower to AF vs Batis,

The rumor site says that the best cheap video lens is the Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-tidbits-675/#disqus_thread

And while I'm here...

I've been reading up on the Voigtlander 65mm f2 and by many accounts it's a very good lens and I've read of it being compared to "the best lens ever." That's nice :D

One thing that made me almost gasp was some of the pictures I saw that were in my opinion rather ordinary (not the ones in the graph filled link I posted earlier,) as in the subject and the light not the technical quality of the lens or it's character as in my opinion some of these IMO rather ordinary picture just didn't show those things. But these pictures were receiving positive comments like "great work" etc and I just didn't see it. I suppose the posters could be part of the forum in crowd and back slapping each other no matter how ordinary the picture... I've seen glowing comments about pictures I just didn't rate many times. I showed some of the Voigtlander ones to Mrs woof woof and she laughed. Not that my pictures are cutting edge so what do I know... Maybe people could Google their way to some sample shots and see what they think.

Ha ha, I suggest you read your post again Vic.
Mr Grumpy. I made a little joke... whoooooooosssh.

In best Pam Ayres voice...

If your posts weren't full of constant moanin
polutin each page and making me a groanin
and instead contained a shot or two or three
or maybe the odd joke to make us spit our tea
then seein your name upon this here thread
would be joyous rather than making me dread
more humourless complainin pictureless posts
from the poster far more grumpier than most
Mr Grumps why not have a change of heart
and instead of being a grumpy pictureless old fart
try and be fun, have a laugh, tell a joke or two
or here's a thought - post a picture... it wont kill you.

:D

Maybe we should have a day when every post has to contain a picture and txt in rhyme...

Posted from my tablet :D Maybe you could take a happy one twist :D

Things are pretty upsetting this end as the person I look after is suffering and the alzheimers is getting worse so there's lots of upset all round and photography is deffo on the back seat so you'll be deprived of my snaps for a while.

I suppose you two couldn't muster up the will to click on the link and see the pictures that aren't charts. They're only trees on a hill and corner crops etc but deffo not charts, just another way of testing the lens. Dunno why I bother... The young today... Future of the country etc...

You’re right there, I couldn’t get past the first page, that’ll teach me :coat:

Any way, here’s a pic for you

Untitled by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

There was a young man from Limerick,
who had an enormous camera....

There's not many things that I'm really good at, and poetry aint one of them!

In other news I bought a lens yesterday. It's an Industar-61 50mm. The adapter cost as much as the lens! Not looking for much from it, but hoping it'll be interesting. Will see when it turns up later in the week.

Photie for you Alan.

After the storms
by Elizabeth Oldham, on Flickr

Mr Grumpy. I made a little joke... whoooooooosssh.

In best Pam Ayres voice...

If your posts weren't full of constant moanin
polutin each page and making me a groanin
and instead contained a shot or two or three
or maybe the odd joke to make us spit our tea
then seein your name upon this here thread
would be joyous rather than making me dread
more humourless complainin pictureless posts
from the poster far more grumpier than most
Mr Grumps why not have a change of heart
and instead of being a grumpy pictureless old fart
try and be fun, have a laugh, tell a joke or two
or here's a thought - post a picture... it wont kill you.

Maybe we should have a day when every post has to contain a picture and txt in rhyme...

Posted from my tablet :D Maybe you could take a happy one twist :D

Things are pretty upsetting this end as the person I look after is suffering and the alzheimers is getting worse so there's lots of upset all round and photography is deffo on the back seat so you'll be deprived of my snaps for a while.

My reply was also a joke Vic and you overreacted. Nice rant btw. Proves that you are full of crap. You assume I'm old, you are MUCH older than I am. Go back a couple pages you'll see a couple pics. I don't use this site as my storage method like you ;)

You aren't the only person that has things going on in their life.

Last edited:
My reply was also a joke Vic and you overreacted. Nice rant btw. Proves that you are full of crap. You assume I'm old, you are MUCH older than I am. Go back a couple pages you'll see a couple pics. I don't use this site as my storage method like you ;)

You aren't the only person that has things going on in their life.
Yea twist is 25years old and he normally shoots adult content. That's why he doesn't share any images ;)

I went into the Sony store in the Emporium shopping centre in Bangkok today and they let me loose with the GM70-200 F/2.8 and the GM 100-400 to play with. Much love for both lenses, now, where to find £2k for each one :D

Also had a play with the A9, now i feel like my A6500 is inadequate lol :(

Last edited:
I went into the Sony store in the Emporium shopping centre in Bangkok today and they let me loose with the GM70-200 F/2.8 and the GM 100-400 to play with. Much love for both lenses, now, where to find £2k for each one :D

Great kit ain't it.... I have a feeling this is just the tip of the ice-berg what Sony will be doing going forwards.

Loved the shop, they had a model island in the store with loads of focal points to play with, so you could get a great idea of how the lenses performed, never seen anything like it in the UK!

Loved the shop, they had a model island in the store with loads of focal points to play with, so you could get a great idea of how the lenses performed, never seen anything like it in the UK!
Probably never will :D

So this should be arriving shortly for use with my A7 (and also my OM-1 and OM-2) - an Olympus OM 35mm PC Shift lens

P6016565.jpg

Given that I shoot a lot of architectural subjects, I've been toying with the idea of a shift lens for years, but I've been making do with software solutions. Modern hi-res sensors let you get away with a lot.

One nice feature of the Olympus is that it allows you to easily shift both vertically and horizontally. I'm not so bothered by tilt functions.

Ffordes had one available at a decent price, though, so I pulled the trigger over the weekend. I'm guessing it's either something that I will either be using constantly or not at all; I'm about to find out which :)

So this should be arriving shortly for use with my A7 (and also my OM-1 and OM-2) - an Olympus OM 35mm PC Shift lens

View attachment 111703

Given that I shoot a lot of architectural subjects, I've been toying with the idea of a shift lens for years, but I've been making do with software solutions. Modern hi-res sensors let you get away with a lot.

One nice feature of the Olympus is that it allows you to easily shift both vertically and horizontally. I'm not so bothered by tilt functions.

Ffordes had one available at a decent price, though, so I pulled the trigger over the weekend. I'm guessing it's either something that I will either be using constantly or not at all; I'm about to find out which :)

I got the same lens a few months ago and it's excellent on my A7. I haven't used it much as I lent it to a friend to use not long after I got it but I was happy with the handheld test shots I took.

A7 and my new OM Zuiko 35/2.8 Shift. Handheld at F11 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

For me the A6500 is superb. It goes in a rucksack side pocket when I go into the mountains, gets put into the frame bag of my bike when I buzz through the woods and onto the beach. Dropped into a shoulder bag for a day out. Couldn't really do any of that as comfortably with an A9 or 7 series. The best camera is the one you've got with the you.

For me the A6500 is superb. It goes in a rucksack side pocket when I go into the mountains, gets put into the frame bag of my bike when I buzz through the woods and onto the beach. Dropped into a shoulder bag for a day out. Couldn't really do any of that as comfortably with an A9 or 7 series. The best camera is the one you've got with the you.
Yea you can. My a9 with a prime does the same thing!

Only 3 months to go and then we are into 2018.
What does Sony have left to announce this year...... my guess is....

FE 135mm f1.8 G Master
FE 400mm f2.8/4.0 G Master
Sony RX1R III
Sony A7 III

Back