The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A few high ISO snaps with very light post-processing, including one heavy crop.
A9 + FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM.

24170887598_b8b498ef70_c.jpg

37992031502_485b48224f_c.jpg

24170878018_53318f2cd5_c.jpg

Last edited:
Can see why you need those 20fps. Look at him go!!

These were just a small set of a photos using single / slow continues AF-C, no need for high fps for these animals.
To be fair 20fps is a crazy amount of speed for most subjects, more than I would probably need but nice to have it. :D

These were just a small set of a photos using single / slow continues AF-C, no need for high fps for these animals.
To be fair 20fps is a crazy amount of speed for most subjects, more than I would probably need but nice to have it. :D

You know I’m only playing.

Where were these taken?

You know I’m only playing.

Where were these taken?

I know hehe :)

Taken at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster.
They were behind fencing so had to shoot through them.
They are ISO 8000-12800 if memory serves me correctly at 200mm f2.8, 1/2500th.

I know hehe :)

Taken at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster.
They were behind fencing so had to shoot through them.
They are ISO 8000-12800 if memory serves me correctly at 200mm f2.8, 1/2500th.
Bit more lively than usual then, the last 4 times I’ve been they’ve just been asleep for the whole day :rolleyes:

Why 1/2500 though? :eek: You could have got ISO much lower.

Just had a walk around town with my a9 and samyang 35mm.

Few things. The a9 did not overheat but felt a tiny bit warm on that hands. But then again it's very humid out here so holding anything you feel warmer.

AF is amazing with the samyang even at f8 or narrower.

The overall size and weight when using this lens makes me blend in more

W
Just had a walk around town with my a9 and samyang 35mm.

Few things. The a9 did not overheat but felt a tiny bit warm on that hands. But then again it's very humid out here so holding anything you feel warmer.

AF is amazing with the samyang even at f8 or narrower.

The overall size and weight when using this lens makes me blend in more
which 35mm were you using? The 2.8 or 1.4?

We’ve just got back to the hotel after spending this evening at the Animal Kingdom to ride the Flight of Passage (awesome ride!!). I really wanted to shoot Pandora at night so I managed to grab a few shots after the ride (while consoling our kids at the some time as they didn’t enjoy the ride as much as me and my wife did..)

It was basically pitch black so these were shot at F11, iso 100, 25 seconds using my A7, OM Zuiko 24/2.8 and Manfrotto Pixi tripod. These were shot in jpg and are direct uploads to my phone. I’ll revisit them with proper edits when I get home but I’m happy with them for now.

ORG_DSC02878.jpeg

ORG_DSC02879.jpeg

ORG_DSC02881.jpeg

Pandora is stunning and well worth the visit

(A7, 24/2.8, iso 100 handheld during the day)

ORG_DSC02505.jpeg

We’ve just got back to the hotel after spending this evening at the Animal Kingdom to ride the Flight of Passage (awesome ride!!). I really wanted to shoot Pandora at night so I managed to grab a few shots after the ride (while consoling our kids at the some time as they didn’t enjoy the ride as much as me and my wife did..)

It was basically pitch black so these were shot at F11, iso 100, 25 seconds using my A7, OM Zuiko 24/2.8 and Manfrotto Pixi tripod. These were shot in jpg and are direct uploads to my phone. I’ll revisit them with proper edits when I get home but I’m happy with them for now.

View attachment 113576

View attachment 113577

View attachment 113578

Pandora is stunning and well worth the visit

(A7, 24/2.8, iso 100 handheld during the day)

View attachment 113579
Totally agree, we were there in August and AK and Pandora were our favourite parts, I think we went about 6 times over the fortnight. My only regret was not taking a small tripod as I was forced to push up the ISO and shoot handheld

I've just received my latest buy... Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 :D

It's a compact and light lens, ever so slightly more compact than the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8. It's sharp enough wide open but with some vignetting.

Whole pictures followed by 100% crops.

DSC08293.jpg

DSC08293-1.jpg

DSC08295.jpg

DSC08295-1.jpg

I'm quite happy with this lens, I think it's quite good :D

How much did you pay for it?

I recently ordered a voigtlander 40mm f2 in canon EF mount. I'd ideally like to have the new 40mm f1.2 but this cheaper to try with before going all out on the new lens.

Last edited:
How much did you pay for it?

I recently ordered a voigtlander 40mm f2 in canon EF mount. I'd ideally like to have the new 40mm f1.2 but this cheaper to try with before going all out on the new lens.

The Rokkor was £46.50 including delivery which I thought was too much but hey ho. It's not so long ago that you could pick this mass market stuff up for under £20 or maybe under £15 but prices are going up and availability is going down. If Canon and Niko get serious about CSC's prices will go stratospheric.

That 40mm f2 looks interesting. I'd never thought of getting one of those. I did and do badly want a 35mm f1.4 or f2.5 (I had one for my Bessa and stupidly sold it) or maybe the f1.2 but what little information there is out there about performance on an A7 is scarce and contradictory and maybe that the edges aren't very good. The new 40mm f1.2 at least is designed for Sony and the performance seems good with only bokeh at close distances to whinge about and of course you don't need an adapter.

Go on... You know you want one! :D

I'll be interested in what you think of the 40mm f2.

I used to own the 40mm f2 previously, sold it to a forum member on this very forum.

Quite a solid little lens but bokeh was similar to that of your 40mm f/1.2 at close distances. I didn't keep it long enough enough to give it a good try since it was manual focus. I'll give it a chance this time around :D

It certainly has a nice bokeh. You got it at an very good price too. You should look at the prices for OM 40mm f/2 if you want a real shocker :eek:

Golly! Gosh!!

But at least that makes me feel better about spending under £50 for the Rokkor :D

I sold three FD's recently, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8... and I'm regretting it. These lenses are only going up in price these days.

looks as though amazon just realised their pricing error on the a7 and have bumped it up £100

I don’t think it was an error, it was an advertised deal for Prime members. The price has gone up because they’ve ran out so it’s only available from 3rd party sellers now.

I don’t think it was an error, it was an advertised deal for Prime members. The price has gone up because they’ve ran out so it’s only available from 3rd party sellers now.

Still says “dispatched from and sold by amazon exclusively for prime members”. In stock, just £100 more expensive

Totally agree, we were there in August and AK and Pandora were our favourite parts, I think we went about 6 times over the fortnight. My only regret was not taking a small tripod as I was forced to push up the ISO and shoot handheld

I only brought my Pixi tripod along because I knew I wouldn’t get much time to stop and shoot due to our two kids (and my wife) wanting to move on. The Pixi is great for sitting on the floor or on top of the convenient height rubbish bins around the parks and then having full adjustment with the ball head.

A couple more shots from Epcot yesterday;

OM 35/2.8 shift, handheld walking through the entrance towards breakfast.

ORG_DSC02899.jpeg

FE 50/1.8 handheld. I overexposed this accidentally as I had been shooting indoors before in Manual and just grabbed my camera as the Monorail came. Managed to pull back the highlights partially on my phone but it only allows a small amount of adjustment in IOS so I went for a bit of a retro analogue feel instead!

ORG_DSC02973.jpeg

I only brought my Pixi tripod along because I knew I wouldn’t get much time to stop and shoot due to our two kids (and my wife) wanting to move on. The Pixi is great for sitting on the floor or on top of the convenient height rubbish bins around the parks and then having full adjustment with the ball head.

A couple more shots from Epcot yesterday;

OM 35/2.8 shift, handheld walking through the entrance towards breakfast.

View attachment 113681

FE 50/1.8 handheld. I overexposed this accidentally as I had been shooting indoors before in Manual and just grabbed my camera as the Monorail came. Managed to pull back the highlights partially on my phone but it only allows a small amount of adjustment in IOS so I went for a bit of a retro analogue feel instead!

View attachment 113682
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seeing a lot of banding in the sky on both pics. :thinking: The also seems to be a spot in the sky in the first pic too. Dust spot? And the bottom left of the first pic seems very soft and blurry.

Must be me though because other seem to like them. :confused:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seeing a lot of banding in the sky on both pics. :thinking: The also seems to be a spot in the sky in the first pic too. Dust spot? And the bottom left of the first pic seems very soft and blurry.

Must be me though because other seem to like them. :confused:

I’m guessing that the banding is a combination of the iPhone editing and image compression on upload because the banding isn’t visible on camera. The dust spot is already something I’ve noticed and need to do a wet clean when I get home :0)

It's a lovely thing and you can find them at reasonable prices too... but my film days are over so I must resist.

Back