The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Ken Rockwell says... "Sony is the future" ...

"27 May 2018, Sunday
Sony vs. DSLR
People ask all the time, and I tell them that I prefer the in-camera JPG color rendition of Nikon and Canon for photos of places and things. I prefer the color rendition of Fuji for photos of people, but Fuji remains so buggy (dumb menu system that's only getting worse with time, AF lock never works, flaky EVF/LCD switching, still no full-frame cameras, etc.) that I've gotten over them. Sony looks good for all kinds of photos, but doesn't excel at one or the other as the other brands do. My work is all about color so I'm very picky here; most people won't notice any differences and if you shoot raw, these differences are all different.

If you're most serious about photos of landscapes and cars and animals and bugs and sunsets and buildings, go DSLR.

For people, business meetings, concerts, recitals, plays, business events, sports and action, I'd use Sony because the newest Sonys are SILENT and run at at least 10 frames per second. Also with Sony you can do everything in any light in the finder with no need for the rear LCD. I LOVE being able to set menus and see enlarged playback even in direct sunlight through the electronic finder. It makes my DSLRs seem so 1990s when I can't see playback in the finder and have to squint at a little LCD smaller than my iPhone X. Sony is the future. Sony cranks out significantly better cameras every few months. Get the A7 III, and the 24-105/4 G or 24-240 lenses and you could be done.

I'll be honest: I shoot my iPhone X a lot. Don't we all? I probably use it more than my big cameras for personal work unless I'm on a specific job."

Linky...

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

:D

Ken Rockwell says... "Sony is the future" ...

"27 May 2018, Sunday
Sony vs. DSLR
People ask all the time, and I tell them that I prefer the in-camera JPG color rendition of Nikon and Canon for photos of places and things. I prefer the color rendition of Fuji for photos of people, but Fuji remains so buggy (dumb menu system that's only getting worse with time, AF lock never works, flaky EVF/LCD switching, still no full-frame cameras, etc.) that I've gotten over them. Sony looks good for all kinds of photos, but doesn't excel at one or the other as the other brands do. My work is all about color so I'm very picky here; most people won't notice any differences and if you shoot raw, these differences are all different.

If you're most serious about photos of landscapes and cars and animals and bugs and sunsets and buildings, go DSLR.

For people, business meetings, concerts, recitals, plays, business events, sports and action, I'd use Sony because the newest Sonys are SILENT and run at at least 10 frames per second. Also with Sony you can do everything in any light in the finder with no need for the rear LCD. I LOVE being able to set menus and see enlarged playback even in direct sunlight through the electronic finder. It makes my DSLRs seem so 1990s when I can't see playback in the finder and have to squint at a little LCD smaller than my iPhone X. Sony is the future. Sony cranks out significantly better cameras every few months. Get the A7 III, and the 24-105/4 G or 24-240 lenses and you could be done.

I'll be honest: I shoot my iPhone X a lot. Don't we all? I probably use it more than my big cameras for personal work unless I'm on a specific job."

Linky...

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

:D

well if Ken says it, it must be true

Been away for the weekend and brought the Tamron 28-75 with me but struggling with dire weather and rubbish connectivity.

Been able to take a few shots though and pretty impressed with the Tamron, especially considering the price.

Tamron 28-75 @ 75mm f8.0 by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Flower Bokeh Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Shetland Pony - Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Alpaca - Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RX by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

face any focussing issues?

Not the 70200

Why not and what do you prefer?

It'll be no surprise to know that I prefer 35/50.

Wider can be nice for environmental and deliberate perspective distortion and longer can be better for avoiding messy backgrounds and going for nice bokeh but I prefer 35/50 as I'll be close enough to interact whilst being able to include context and be able to play with depth if needed.

Dunno what the vid says as I haven't watched it yet.

Last edited:

Wider can be nice for environmental and deliberate perspective distortion and longer can be better for avoiding messy backgrounds and going for nice bokeh but I prefer 35/50 as I'll be close enough to interact whilst being able to include context and be able to play with depth if needed.

I like anything from 35 to 85 for various situations. Big zooms intimidate, they weigh a ton and i don't like the working distance at the longer FL.

200mm you are miles away, difficult to give direction and if you are in a busy space, people will get in the way a lot.

Dunno what the vid says as I haven't watched it yet.

I'm a portrait photographer and own nothing longer than an 85mm. Might buy a 135mm sigma but not for portraits.

I have recently got into shooting portraits, my two main lenses are 35mm and 85mm primes. I am waiting on tamron 28-75mm for my 3rd lens for this purpose. I haven't really felt the need for anything much longer so far.

I used to own a canon 100mm f2 which I kinda prefer to the 85mm f1.8 in some cases. Unfortunately there isn't a sony native version.

Last edited:
I have recently got into shooting portraits, my two main lenses are 35mm and 85mm primes. I am waiting on tamron 28-75mm for my 3rd lens for this purpose. I haven't really felt the need for anything much longer so far.

I used to own a canon 100mm f2 which I kinda prefer to the 85mm f1.8 in some cases. Unfortunately there isn't a sony native version.

Check out the 100mm STF it’s gorgeous

I'm a portrait photographer and own nothing longer than an 85mm. Might buy a 135mm sigma but not for portraits.

Actually one of my favorite portrait shots is of my Mrs, a tight head shot taken with a 135mm, other favorites were taken with an 85mm but generally I don't like the longer length lenses and tighter shots.

PS.
I remember once taking a shot of someone with a 150mm on my 20D... I was a short bus ride away :D

Last edited:
Forgot about two video files on an sd card and unfortunately formatted the disk on computer then in-camera.Tried a number of programs (sandisk, photorec, rescuva, UFU) but no joy. Am I fooked? :banghead:

Last edited:
Forgot about two video files on an sd card and unfortunately formatted the disk on computer then in-camera.Tried a number of programs (sandisk, photorec, rescuva, UFU) but no joy. Am I fooked? :banghead:

Unless you did a low level format, or have subsequently used the card afterwards, the data should still be there.

Ye I used it and works great. Bought mine ages ago! Like back in August mate with the lens.
When I was looking for one the only company in the world seemingly that had them was Digitalrev.
Apparently they have one in the warehouse with my name on it, we shall see!
Have you used the combination yet?

The rumor site on the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4...

"Nokton CLASSIC 35mm/f1.4 on the #SonyA9. Optically the lens isn't top notch but it looks gorgeous on the A7-A9 series!"

Linky...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-tidbits-799/#disqus_thread

I'd argue with the "isn't top notch" bit though. The extreme corners are never pixel peeping sharp at 100% but other than that and the bokeh being old stylie at f1.4-1.8 or so I'd say that it's a very good lens and sharp enough in the central area from f1.4 and sharp across the frame soon after.

I agree more with this guy...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-voigtlander-35mm-f1-4-nokton-classic-e-mount/

"Only you can determine whether you like the way this lens draws, or if you hate it. But for my use, I really like the look I can get from this lens. Wide open it gives a very unique look, and stopped down it provides lovely tonality and good sharpness over the entire frame, save for the extreme corners. Sharpness is pretty good at f/1.4, but does have a little softness due to spherical aberration, and stopping down is a must when focused near the lens’ minimum focus distance."

When I was looking for one the only company in the world seemingly that had them was Digitalrev.
Apparently they have one in the warehouse with my name on it, we shall see!
Have you used the combination yet?
Same for me, tried everyone I could think of in the UK no one had one, I was bit dubious about Digitalrev as I had never used them before but everything was OK.

I've just used the phrase "fan boy" again on Luminous Landscape so I expect to be banned again at any second :D

He's posted his expectations for the new and expected to be world beating high end Nikon CSC. He may be right.

I've just used the phrase "fan boy" again on Luminous Landscape so I expect to be banned again at any second :D

He's posted his expectations for the new and expected to be world beating high end Nikon CSC. He may be right.

Why get so caught up in something that doesn’t even exist yet???
We can all speculate about something that no one know’s anything about but I don’t get why someone talking about Nikon or Canon gets you so hot under the collar?

Why get so caught up in something that doesn’t even exist yet???
We can all speculate about something that no one know’s anything about but I don’t get why someone talking about Nikon or Canon gets you so hot under the collar?

I'm not hot under the collar just a little disappointed that my fellow man, grown man at that, can act in such a silly way. I may not come across as laid back but volatile but that's how I'd describe myself :D I do tend to tell it how I see it sometimes especially when someone insists that X manufacturer is the greatest ever and invented everything. A calmly typed post that just happens to include the phrase "fan boy" doesn't seem too hot in those circumstances :D

Is there any way to get the A7III to auto power off after no activity? I know it's my own stupid fault but twice now I have drained the battery by leaving it on. Smart settings are supposed to cover for human stupidity. Been used to auto power off on other cameras.

Is there any way to get the A7III to auto power off after no activity? I know it's my own stupid fault but twice now I have drained the battery by leaving it on. Smart settings are supposed to cover for human stupidity. Been used to auto power off on other cameras.

Sony bodies did have a sleep function. My A7RII has it. I'd be surprised if 3rd Gen bodies don't have it

Back