The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The focus quirk... I see something similar with some of my MFT lenses, a sort of bounce, maybe something to do with CSC on the sensor focusing.

Did not know that one is allowed to shout if they don't buy similar gear, hmm... well that is not my way anyway... ;)

It's called humor :D

And no, no one will take serious P out of anyone and nothing you see in this thread will be anything like the fanboy madness you see in other threads. Us Sony users are far too mature and sophisticated for that sort of silliness.

Last edited:
The focus quirk... I see something similar with some of my MFT lenses, a sort of bounce, maybe something to do with CSC on the sensor focusing.

It doesnt ever do it tracking etc only when jumping between 2 long ranges, it doesnt even always do it. Id be more concerned if it was causing misses etc

I see the "bounce" with some lenses on my Panasonic cameras when going from near to far / far to near but not for subjects at similar distances. I thought it was something to do with Panasonics focus tech but strange that it happens with some lenses and not others.

On sigmas website the information about the other e mount lenses is done via the camera and an exe file.

Ive been testing all 3 lenses pretty extensively and the 85 actually does something similar when jumping between long range focus. Very very rarely. Ive a feeling it may may a property of these lenses or maybe something a firmware update may sort

I shot a wedding on saturday with the 35 50 and 85 and they didnt miss a single shot and I never once noticed the focus quirk. They were extremely impressive. I may not even bother to send it back

Shooting another wedding today and I will decide tonight what to do. UK Digital have one held for me and will post it once I send them tracking of the one I have

The downside is my lower back was pretty sore carting the gear about for 13 hours

Nice... Thanks for detailed response.
The thing is old Minolta HS lenses i.e. high speed lenses used to do this 'jumping' to achieve focus quickly. But they were incredibly fast and dead accurate. I wonder if sigma is doing the same.

How would say the AF on 35 ART compares to 50mm ART?

Also you wouldn't happen to have shot with fast AF native lenses like Sony Zeiss 35mm/1.4 or FE85/1.8 to compare the AF speed against?

Nice... Thanks for detailed response.
The thing is old Minolta HS lenses i.e. high speed lenses used to do this 'jumping' to achieve focus quickly. But they were incredibly fast and dead accurate. I wonder if sigma is doing the same.

How would say the AF on 35 ART compares to 50mm ART?

Also you wouldn't happen to have shot with fast AF native lenses like Sony Zeiss 35mm/1.4 or FE85/1.8 to compare the AF speed against?

Its hard to say. I think the 50 is abit faster and the 85 is probably one of the fastest if not the fastest 85 1.4 I have ever used

I owned the Batis 85, Sony 85, Samyang 35 1.4 and Zeiss 55 and theyre all very fast lenses. The Samyang was definitely not as good accuracy wise in my experience

I thought the batis and Sony was quite close but the batis had better IQ and had IS which maybe slowed it down a fraction.

Sooo, my Sigma 50 was part of the first batch, its "faulty" well not faulty just it needs a FW update as it has a bug which I confirmed with Sigma. AF during video recording doesn't work at all. The new Arts don't have a dock or camera FW updates which was confirmed by Sigma so it needs to go in or returned for refund. Which way they will go in the future in terms of FW updates Im not sure but theres no dock in the near future or camera FW updates.

This has me looking at options again. I like the IQ a lot but Ive gotten so used to the 85FE 1.8 size/weight Im thinking of giving the SZ55 one more go, maybe I will get a better look/colour etc out of the A7mk3 new image processing as I wasn't to impressed with it on the original A7 and A7S. The fast and silent video AF is an attraction to where the Sigma seems to suffer a lot vs fast AF in stills.

:confused:

Last edited:
Sooo, my Sigma 50 was part of the first batch, its "faulty" well not faulty just it needs a FW update as it has a bug which I confirmed with Sigma. AF during video recording doesn't work at all. The new Arts don't have a dock or camera FW updates which was confirmed by Sigma so it needs to go in or returned for refund. Which way they will go in the future in terms of FW updates Im not sure but theres no dock in the near future or camera FW updates.

This has me looking at options again. I like the IQ a lot but Ive gotten so used to the 85FE 1.8 size/weight Im thinking of giving the SZ55 one more go, maybe I will get a better look/colour etc out of the A7mk3 new image processing as I wasn't to impressed with it on the original A7 and A7S. The fast and silent video AF is an attraction to where the Sigma seems to suffer a lot vs fast AF in stills.

:confused:

I'd be very confident that there will be firmware updates via the camera. Existing E mount sigma lenses already support this

I'd be very confident that there will be firmware updates via the camera. Existing E mount sigma lenses already support this

Those are mirrorless lenses created from the ground up. Will have to wait and see.

Those are mirrorless lenses created from the ground up. Will have to wait and see.

The part bolted onto the lens is the bit that would be updated, which is basically a better mc-11

Thanks@Twist for the pm on the link to that nice Canon offer,puts the A7 to shame :rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:

You aren't comparing a FF A7 to an APS-C Canon CSC are you? I'd argue they're different cameras.

On the subject of offers and pointing and laughing... buy the Canon and we'll point and laugh but you can retaliate by waving the money you've saved.

And just for Robin, that's a :D

Steve Huff looks at a Voigtlander lens and uses it on both an A7RIII and Leica SL...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/...ce-review-a-beauty-for-your-leica-sl-or-sony/

He says "Now the Sony which is not as good as it exhibits some severe Vignetting and Bokeh is slightly different."

The bokeh varies with the camera? I'd have thought it was vastly more to do with the lens with I'd have thought maybe minor effect due to resolution, maybe, and other in camera and processing stuff but not to any great effect if the cameras are anywhere near similar in tech. Looking at his wall and tree shots the WB varies a lot. I'd have equalised that a bit before making a judgement.

So, same lens but different camera = noticeably different bokeh? Does it?

Well, before I believe him on his bokeh assertion I'd like to either see for myself or read someone elses opinion.

I may be wrong but I'd have assumed that for whole images viewed normally taken with similar format cameras of similar tech the impact on bokeh will be minimal compared to the effect the lens has.

PS.
Actually I've taken lots of pictures which can be used for comparison already but not of the same subject at the same time as I've used quite a few lenses on my A7 and Pany MFT cameras and the results are what I'd expect... The Sony / Pany pictures are what I'd expect from old FF lenses and when used on a MFT there are no bokeh surprises.

Oh well...

Last edited:
The rumor site... new Samyang 85mm f1.4 for Canon may come for Sony too...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sam...-it-might-come-for-sony-fe-too/#disqus_thread

All are welcome but I do wish manufacturers would design lenses specifically for the A7/9 and not just weld an adapter to a DSLR design. I suppose it may be a question of financial viability but AFAIK there have been MFT and APS-C CSC specific lenses without a built in adapter.

sam.jpg

Interesting comparison and certainly shows how it's clearly possible to design a more compact lens with the same optical specs (focal length/aperture). I'm interested to see the output and AF performance of the Samyang.

The rumor site... new Samyang 85mm f1.4 for Canon may come for Sony too...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sam...-it-might-come-for-sony-fe-too/#disqus_thread

All are welcome but I do wish manufacturers would design lenses specifically for the A7/9 and not just weld an adapter to a DSLR design. I suppose it may be a question of financial viability but AFAIK there have been MFT and APS-C CSC specific lenses without a built in adapter.

It takes around 2-3 years to develop a lens. And a LOT of money. Sony will need a much bigger market share before that is even a consideration for 3rd parties imo.

It takes around 2-3 years to develop a lens. And a LOT of money. Sony will need a much bigger market share before that is even a consideration for 3rd parties imo.

Sigma already make 16, 19, 30 (both f/1.4 and f/2.8 variants) and 60 primes specifically for E-Mount in APS-C format, with the 19 and 30 f/2.8 both having had a redesign since original release.

It's not a case of market share - it's speed to market.
Releasing a version which is 'just' a merge of the existing lens + existing adaptor (but with the firmware replaced with a Sony specific version, rather then the Canon + Converter option) is much quicker (and also cheaper).

I'd expect to see revised versions of these with E Mount specific designs in 1-3 years, assuming Sony FF E mount continues to be successful.

sam.jpg

Interesting comparison and certainly shows how it's clearly possible to design a more compact lens with the same optical specs (focal length/aperture). I'm interested to see the output and AF performance of the Samyang.

Adding the hood on the sigma is a little misleading, I guess the Samyang is a little like the Canon 85/1.2 size.

I'd expect to see revised versions of these with E Mount specific designs in 1-3 years, assuming Sony FF E mount continues to be successful.

I do hope so as I like the idea of more compact lenses even if we wont get them too compact as the trend is more towards excellent lenses with their accompanying bulk and weight and because knocking out what are largely DSLR lenses with an added adapter just seems a lesser if cheaper and quicker way of doing it, and that puts me off.

Back