The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Nothing for the Sony A7 III yet. Does it need one?

The Sony A9 firmware is mainly for the FE 400 f2.8 GM, however there might be some bug / general operation stability improvements.
The only bug improvements I would wish for is to keep Jonny out the Canon thread :ROFLMAO:

Hey at least what we do get for our £1999 is still good value vs performance, the same can’t be said for the Nikon Z or Canon R! They are going to need way more than just a mild firmware upgrade to make them remotely register on potential buyers are aren’t already in the EOS eco-system. :D lol

That just makes canonikon bad, not Sony good.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

That just makes canonikon bad, not Sony good.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

So the Sony A7 III isn’t good? Your right, it’s way better than good! :D lol
Sony has shown more forward progress in the last few years with the A7/9 series than both Nikon & Canon put together ;)

Sony has shown more forward progress in the last few years with the A7/9 series than both Nikon & Canon put together ;)
Yep, because they have both only had FF mirrorless for less than a month. :rolleyes:

DSLR tech too, same old mirror box decades old design!
Sony have had to progress quickly just to catch up with the 'old mirror box' DSLR design and tech. ;)

Btw, DSLR's still work quite well you know, and are still the most popular interchangeable lens type of camera, even after all these years. ;) :D

But I digress, back to your Sony's. ;)

Sony have had to progress quickly just to catch up with the 'old mirror box' DSLR design and tech. ;)

Btw, DSLR's still work quite well you know, and are still the most popular interchangeable lens type of camera, even after all these years. ;) :D

But I digress, back to your Sony's. ;)

Because people don't know any better.

:D

I think thats a bit unfair to be honest - most people who've bought a camera in the last 5 years will at least have handled or looked at mirrorless, its not for everyone.
Personally if I was doing purely landscape I'd buy a DSLR, night and day weather proofing over the Sony stuff (water straight into the battery compartment).

I would expect there will be a certain type of user who'll flock to it now that Canon and Nikon have release bodies though!

Mirrorless cameras are everywhere in the media. :rolleyes: Newspaper articles, magazines, especially photo magazines, vloggers, on TV and have been hailed as the second coming for photography for the last 5-10 years, and if you believed the hype you would think the DSLR was already history. :eek: :thinking: People know, but they just may not think they are better. ;) :LOL:

I'm hoping for at least another DSLR to replace the one I have with obvious improvements (if they can significantly improve it ;)), but if it doesn't appear, it doesn't stop what I have from working and giving me picture quality in the various situations I take pics in. :D Thankfully my GAS days are gone. :) For now. :LOL:

I think thats a bit unfair to be honest - most people who've bought a camera in the last 5 years will at least have handled or looked at mirrorless, its not for everyone.
Personally if I was doing purely landscape I'd buy a DSLR, night and day weather proofing over the Sony stuff (water straight into the battery compartment).

I would expect there will be a certain type of user who'll flock to it now that Canon and Nikon have release bodies though!
Sony ain't the only mirrorless camera though and there's plenty of weather proof mirrorless around.

Dslr to me offer no advantage over mirrorless at all

Sony owners - mixture of fanboys and reasonable people
Nikon owners - mixture of fanboys and reasonable people
Canon owners - fanboys & idiots

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Sony owners - mixture of fanboys and reasonable people
Nikon owners - mixture of fanboys and reasonable people
Canon owners - fanboys & idiots

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I have had a fair number of nikons and a few sonys.
I’ve never had a canon

Sony ain't the only mirrorless camera though and there's plenty of weather proof mirrorless around.

Dslr to me offer no advantage over mirrorless at all
You're sorted then. :)

So am I with my DSLR, as mirrorless offers me no advantage and a major problem. :)

Good to have options isn't it. ;)

You're sorted then. :)

So am I with my DSLR, as mirrorless offers me no advantage and a major problem. :)

Good to have options isn't it. ;)

If you have no interest in mirrorless, the question is, why are you in a mirrorless thread?!

If you have no interest in mirrorless, the question is, why are you in a mirrorless thread?!
Is that the ticket I need to post! :eek: Is someone checking! :cautious: Are all you mirrorless users not allowed to post in threads about non mirrorless cameras too! :LOL:

Fyi, I am interested in the technology and how it is progressing, they are supposed to be the future aren't they! Is that OK with you? :rolleyes:

Anyone using Sigma 16 and 20 mm Art lenses via either a sigma or metabones adaptor on a A73?

A photographer I know is saying that they are soft in the corners on his but OK on his Canon

Is that the ticket I need to post! :eek: Is someone checking! :cautious: Are all you mirrorless users not allowed to post in threads about non mirrorless cameras too! :LOL:

Fyi, I am interested in the technology and how it is progressing, they are supposed to be the future aren't they! Is that OK with you? :rolleyes:

No

I would love the A7iii purely for the AF, finding my A7R missing a lot of action now we have a little guy.

It could be a lot better.
It's not way better than good. It's just about good.

I'd say otherwise. Nikon and canon show a lot more innovation in optics and other areas. Where's the PF lenses, where's the small 35mm f1.8 macro? Good customer support? I find lack of decent weatherseal on a £3.2k body as bad as lack of second card slot.
Optics, ergonomics, reliability are just as important

I'd say otherwise. Nikon and canon show a lot more innovation in optics and other areas. Where's the PF lenses, where's the small 35mm f1.8 macro? Good customer support? I find lack of decent weatherseal on a £3.2k body as bad as lack of second card slot.
Enjoy your Nikon/Canon... :D

Have you got your Nikon yet? Optics? Sony's built an entire range in a very short time, reliability and Nikon ha ha.

Last edited:
You should take a look at the technology which goes into the G Master lenses, Sony know a thing or two about optics too ;)

Why would anyone want a 35mm macro :D

I'd have one. It'd be good for general stuff including the odd flower shot.

I don't think I'd switch brands for lenses. The glaring hole in the Sony line up is the 35mm f1.8 but f2.8 is just enough to stop me switching plus I have a native mount mf 35mm f1.4.

Years ago I moved from aps-c to ff to use my Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's and 12-24mm on ff but I can't see me switching from Sony ff to Canikon just for the lens line up let alone for just one or two lenses.

Last edited:

It was a joke.

No more. No less.

Just a joke and only a joke. It did have a :D to identify it as such :D

Mirrorless cameras are everywhere in the media. :rolleyes: Newspaper articles, magazines, especially photo magazines, vloggers, on TV and have been hailed as the second coming for photography for the last 5-10 years, and if you believed the hype you would think the DSLR was already history. :eek: :thinking: People know, but they just may not think they are better. ;) :LOL:

I'm hoping for at least another DSLR to replace the one I have with obvious improvements (if they can significantly improve it ;)), but if it doesn't appear, it doesn't stop what I have from working and giving me picture quality in the various situations I take pics in. :D Thankfully my GAS days are gone. :) For now. :LOL:

I switched to mirrorless for definate advantages and once I did I found even more.

First world problem...

I really wanted a 35mm 1.4 for my A7iii. At the moment I only have the 55mm 1.8 because I've only had the camera a few weeks. But, I'm drawn to the tamron 28-75 because it would be more versatile and I'd still get 35mm all be it at 2.8. I like to take portraits so that's why I originally wanted a 35mm 1.4.

[emoji848]

First world problem...

I really wanted a 35mm 1.4 for my A7iii. At the moment I only have the 55mm 1.8 because I've only had the camera a few weeks. But, I'm drawn to the tamron 28-75 because it would be more versatile and I'd still get 35mm all be it at 2.8. I like to take portraits so that's why I originally wanted a 35mm 1.4.

[emoji848]

There are 3 x 35/1.4 options ?

First world problem...

[emoji848]

35 f2.8 meh

Back