The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hi all, I found a UK source A7III body only (1500 shutter actuation) at £1.6k, do you all think this is a good deal? :thinking:

Wait, or an A7RIII (UK sourced) at £2k :D
Sony A7Riii here brand new for £2050 with 3 years UK warranty.

https://panamoz.com/sony-alpha-a7r-iii-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only.html

And the Sony A7iii here brand new for £1725, also comes with a 3 year UK warranty.

https://panamoz.com/digital-cameras/sony/sony-alpha-a7-iii-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only.html

Currently out of stock but replenished every other day.

Friends A73 and 70-200 in the classifieds now.

Yeah seems pretty good will find out how good at tomorrow’s wedding.

The 85GM is pretty massive too it’s a fair bit bigger than the Nikon. I tried the Siggy 85 as well it seemed good too but the af didn’t seem as quick too me.

I got a good price for my Nikon 85 f/1.4 so the price difference between the two didn’t sting too bad.

Dude when I had the 85GM I thought the AF was actually slower, esp tracking compared to what im getting with the Sigma 85. Still fine for an 85 1.4 though

The 85 art even with the mc11 is actually meant to be faster from what I read before. I preferred the ergonomic of the 85GM though

The wee 85 1.8 sony was insanely good for the money and was faster than both of them noticeably in my experience with it. In fairness I was using if on the A9

Dude when I had the 85GM I thought the AF was actually slower, esp tracking compared to what im getting with the Sigma 85. Still fine for an 85 1.4 though

The 85 art even with the mc11 is actually meant to be faster from what I read before. I preferred the ergonomic of the 85GM though

The wee 85 1.8 sony was insanely good for the money and was faster than both of them noticeably in my experience with it. In fairness I was using if on the A9

I am only going by the 15-20 minutes or so I played with them both together in the shop, but the Sigma seemed slower too me.

Yeah the 85 1.8 is rapid for an 85mm I have one of those too.

The only question mark is over the bokeh but if like it or can at least live with it it's a very good lens for the money.

I’ve only used these 85’s on the A7rii but found the 1.8 to be surprising nippy and faster than the gm.

I have never thought that 70-200's where that heavy either tbh, try carrying around a 400 or a 500 prime for a few hours and everything else will seem light as a feather.
It's not just the big long primes that are deadly to cart around for hours on end, it's the size and weight of the bodies. Carting around 1D size bodies with so-called "walkabout" lenses like the Canon 24-105L is wearisome and if you want to carry about an APSC body with a smaller lens as well it becomes a greater burden either needing a massive shoulder bag or backpack of some sort. I find I can carry 2 A7 series bodies with any 2 of the FE lenses I own attached (excluding white ones of course) quite comfortably in my Retrospective 7 shoulder bag.
It took me a while to realise that the great personal benefit is the size and weight of the Sony mirrorless bodies, the lenses have to be coped with.
Edit: I do realise that heavy lenses can be a burden to people like wedding photographers etc.

Last edited:
Ignoring the grey aspect, the fact that they give 3 years warranty on everything is superb. No other high street shop I'm aware of is doing that
To buy 3 years worth of official Sony Extended Warranty is only £70-80 approx :)

Ignoring the grey aspect, the fact that they give 3 years warranty on everything is superb. No other high street shop I'm aware of is doing that

wilkinson camera (UK seller) used to do so and do so from time to time. my A7RIII has 3 years warranty :)

The rumor site has a bit about the Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 e mount...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/fir...-with-the-new-voigtlander-50mm-f-1-2-fe-lens/

Doing a quick Google there doesn't seem to be too much about this lens apart from that they haven't decided on the final build yet, either a more classical design or one with the declick ring at the front like the 40mm f1.2 has. I think I'd go for the declick ring version as it might come in useful. The 35mm f1.4 doesn't have this feature.

See here...

https://briansmith.com/voigtlander-shows-nokton-50mm-f-1-2-fullframe-e-mount-lens-at-photokina/

I don't know when this lens will go on sale but I'll take a good long hard look at it when the specs and reviews come out. I'm sure it'll be as well built as the 35 and 40mm lenses I have and if it's as good optically it'll be a very nice lens and should get good reviews if they go for a more clinical modern look like they did with the 40mm rather than the more Marmite look that the 35mm f1.4 gives at its widest apertures.

One thing to think about for me is buying another e mount lens ties me into the system a little more rather than going for film era lenses which although not as good as modern lenses are at least more portable as they can be use on pretty much any mirrorless system should I want to move away from the A7x at any point.

PS.
The Voigtlander could potentially replace my Minolta 50mm f1.2 which is one of my favourite legacy lenses. It's a bit wild and funky wide open but stopped down it's just a nice old lens.

1-DSC05892.jpg

Oh dear, those lines in the sky aren't visible in the picture on my pc.

1-DSC06000.jpg

This may not appeal to everyone but I like it :D

1-DSC06075.jpg

Me and Mrs WW both like this one and it went into our wedding album.

1-DSC07734.jpg

Last edited:
Thats not that bad!

wilkinson camera (UK seller) used to do so and do so from time to time. my A7RIII has 3 years warranty :)

And the great thing about Sony's Extended Warranties, they can be officially transferred to the next owner if you were to sell it etc :D
I got 4 years warranty on both my Sony A9 and A7 III, great piece of mind :)

I'd rather buy (now that we know its from john lewis) one @JJ! is selling in classifieds than any grey import.
It has 2 years John lewis warranty who have really awesome customer service. Better than messing with any grey importer even if they offer 3 years.

I'd rather buy (now that we know its from john lewis) one @JJ! is selling in classifieds than any grey import.
It has 2 years John lewis warranty who have really awesome customer service. Better than messing with any grey importer even they offer 3 years.

Just checked and its actually 3 years!

It has 2 years John lewis warranty who have really awesome customer service. Better than messing with any grey importer even if they offer 3 years.
Agreed, if I was in the market for another Sony A7 III I would have bought @JJ 's.
You can also still buy the Sony Extended +3 Warranty Card.... boom.... 4 years official Sony warranty ;)

Agreed, if I was in the market for another Sony A7 III I would have bought @JJ 's.
You can also still buy the Sony Extended +3 Warranty Card.... boom.... 4 years official Sony warranty ;)

I don't trust sony. Their customer service has left a bad taste in my mount.

I have used john lewis warranty before. Week before it ran out we called and they replaced the TV for a new one!
Took them like 4 weeks but I can't blame them they kept us well informed and they were just trying to find parts which they couldn't in the end.

I have used john lewis warranty before. Week before it ran out we called and they replaced the TV for a new one!
Took them like 4 weeks but I can't blame them they kept us well informed and they were just trying to find parts which they couldn't in the end.
I guess one / few bad experiences can leave a lasting bad impression.... for me Sony has been reliable and only had to send my Sony A9 back once, no issues.

I guess one / few bad experiences can leave a lasting bad impression.... for me Sony has been reliable and only had to send my Sony A9 back once, no issues.

two to be exact. well I suppose it'll remain that way till i have another good experience with them which of course i hope is never (because who wants their gear to break! lol)

Might have been a good deal but didn't look a big enough saving over new to temp me.

Where's the info on JL doing 3 years on these? Just found the A73 on their site and listed as having 2.

Where's the info on JL doing 3 years on these? Just found the A73 on their site and listed as having 2.
It's a 2 year guarantee, you can pay £50 to cover against accidental damage for those 2 years but that's it.

The link I posted on the previous page offers a 3 year UK warranty.

the one @JJ! was selling in classifieds had 3 years from JL. Might have been a special offer or something for a brief time period offering an extra year. If buy now its 2 years.

E Mount???:p

Back