The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Quick straw poll, who uses protective/uv filters on their lenses?

Most of them

This is an old pic, the only lens i dont have it on is the 100m Macro and the 20mm

5tf56Ga.jpg

hOc43OV.jpg

Most of them

This is an old pic, the only lens i dont have it on is the 100m Macro and the 20mm

5tf56Ga.jpg

hOc43OV.jpg

I clocked you do the other day Ray. Interesting as a rough rule (very rough) I tend to see a trend of keen amateurs using them and working photographers not.

I used to, then a couple of years back decided to remove them on the pretence that they could have a detrimental effect, though I never saw anything to back it up.

With a new lens collection, I happened to come across a drawer full of perfectly good filters and thought, why not. Haven’t put them on yet..

I clocked you do the other day Ray. Interesting as a rough rule (very rough) I tend to see a trend of keen amateurs using them and working photographers not.

I used to, then a couple of years back decided to remove them on the pretence that they could have a detrimental effect, though I never saw anything to back it up.

With a new lens collection, I happened to come across a drawer full of perfectly good filters and thought, why not. Haven’t put them on yet..

I sometimes just end up wiping my lenses with my shirt in the field (wedding) if there is rain or dust so prefer to have a filter. If i am shooting purely portraits or landscapes then i would go without.

i read previously that the latest fw updates on the newer cameras was causing issue with 3rd party batteries. is this still the case?

i read previously that the latest fw updates on the newer cameras was causing issue with 3rd party batteries. is this still the case?

I seen someone talking about this on Facebook a while back. Some where working and some where not. The general consensus seemed to be that the new firmware allowed the camera to check if the battery was the correct specification, if it was the actually the equivalent of the oem battery no issues if it wasn't which a lot of them aren't then it would not work.

I seen someone talking about this on Facebook a while back. Some where working and some where not. The general consensus seemed to be that the new firmware allowed the camera to check if the battery was the correct specification, if it was the actually the equivalent of the oem battery no issues if it wasn't which a lot of them aren't then it would not work.

ok thank you. will have to look into a bit deeper.

Ah is that the same but a double ?

Same manufacturer but different quality of charger. It has the lcd screen that shows battery percentage, allows you to choose low or high power charge mode and yeah can charge 2 batteries at the same time. Absolute bargain for that price.

Got my new A73 over the weekend. Still getting used to it but so far very impressed with it, especially the auto focus eye settings. A lot more keepers than I was previously getting.

I have the 24-105 with it which is my go-to lens for most situations. I would like one additional lens, something faster and lighter for mainly indoor portrait shots of the kids. the 85 1.8 seems to get a lot of good feedback on here and elsewhere, anything else to look at?

Got my new A73 over the weekend. Still getting used to it but so far very impressed with it, especially the auto focus eye settings. A lot more keepers than I was previously getting.

I have the 24-105 with it which is my go-to lens for most situations. I would like one additional lens, something faster and lighter for mainly indoor portrait shots of the kids. the 85 1.8 seems to get a lot of good feedback on here and elsewhere, anything else to look at?

The 85 may be to tight indoors, 35 or 55 could be better. Use your zoom to check.

FE 85 f/1.8 is superb for the money but likely to be too long indoors probably better of with the 55mm for that. The 85mm is great for outdoor portraits though.

Yeah the 35, 55 and 85 all get very good reviews. Having a look through my typical portrait shots and there's a decent variety at at all 3 groupings, but 85 (ish) comes out on top, probably due to taking photos of kids so typically trying to do it from a bit of distance. Will give it some thought.

Yeah the 35, 55 and 85 all get very good reviews. Having a look through my typical portrait shots and there's a decent variety at at all 3 groupings, but 85 (ish) comes out on top, probably due to taking photos of kids so typically trying to do it from a bit of distance. Will give it some thought.

I should point out, that's my kids I'm taking about. Came across a bit creepy when I re-read it!

My third party battery now gives a warning a minute or so after turning it on saying its not a genuine battery then you lose the remaining power % information, you still get the battery icon with the bars in though that decreases with usage

Eye detect is something I do keep thinking about as face detect has really impressed me and has enabled me to take pictures I could have really only taken before by using the lens in manual focus, or a manual lens, and zone focusing at f5.6-8 but with face detect I can do it at wider apertures and focus rather than rely on DoF.

PS.
On the 85mm f1.8.
If I have one complaint it's the bokeh. I think it's ok but a little on the wild side for a modern 85mm for me.

Eye detect is something I do keep thinking about as face detect has really impressed me and has enabled me to take pictures I could have really only taken before by using the lens in manual focus, or a manual lens, and zone focusing at f5.6-8 but with face detect I can do it at wider apertures and focus rather than rely on DoF.

PS.
On the 85mm f1.8.
If I have one complaint it's the bokeh. I think it's ok but a little on the wild side for a modern 85mm for me.

That's the biggest difference between the 85G.M and the FE85, bokeh is much nicer on the G.M. Then again though you have to weigh up the cost difference, the size difference and the weight difference.

I love the 85G.M and it is perfect for work but would have kept the FE85 if I was just shooting stuff for myself. Much lighter lens and quicker a.f, the bokeh is a bit busy but I would have been happy to live with it.

Admiring Light has a review of the Sigma 135mm f1.8...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sigma-135mm-f-1-8-dg-hsm-art-sony-e-mount/

"The Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art is a lens that not everyone will take to, as the medium telephoto length works well for many and not so well for others, but if you like this focal length, you really can’t do much better. The lens has simply exceptional sharpness, beautiful bokeh, extremely low aberrations across the board and a fairly reasonable price for that level of performance at $1,399. It is a rather large and heavy beast, which is par for the course for Sigma’s Art series, but if you can deal with the weight, you’ll be rewarded with truly stunning image quality.

The autofocus is only average, but it gets the job done, and the lens works very well with Sony’s EyeAF capabilities. There really isn’t much more to say: it’s one of the best lenses I’ve ever had the pleasure to use."

Well... That's nice :D

Thon Hogan says...

"The holiday sales have started. B&H has the previous generation A7 (A7m2) on sale with a mediocre lens..." (

It's the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6.

This lens seems to take a bashing from some but I've always thought it was actually quite good for what it is, a relatively cheap standard range variable aperture "kit lens."

To me it seems to be well made, enough, it's quite compact and light and IMO it's good enough for adequate or even good sharpness across the frame from wide open. I have no real complaints and to call it mediocre seems a little harsh to me especially if judged against some of the truly mediocre or even poor reasonably priced variable aperture stuff Canikon have pumped out over the years.

Hi folks! I'm thinking about making the leap from Canon over to the A73. Now, my question is, what's Sony like when using the Sigma converter so I can keep my Canon lenses? Any decrease in image quality or autofocus?

Depends on the lenses

Hi folks! I'm thinking about making the leap from Canon over to the A73. Now, my question is, what's Sony like when using the Sigma converter so I can keep my Canon lenses? Any decrease in image quality or autofocus?

Image quality should be fine but you will notice a difference in AF performance, it varies a lot by lens.

Best case scenario it's almost native performance but worst case it'll be slow and clearly less decisive, no real problem for static subjects though.

Image quality should be fine but you will notice a difference in AF performance, it varies a lot by lens.

Best case scenario it's almost native performance but worst case it'll be slow and clearly less decisive, no real problem for static subjects though.

Hi, thanks for that, ah, well I'm a wedding photographer so need the AF to be top notch, looks like I'll have to invest in a couple of lenses :)

Admiring Light has a review of the Sigma 135mm f1.8...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sigma-135mm-f-1-8-dg-hsm-art-sony-e-mount/

"The Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art is a lens that not everyone will take to, as the medium telephoto length works well for many and not so well for others, but if you like this focal length, you really can’t do much better. The lens has simply exceptional sharpness, beautiful bokeh, extremely low aberrations across the board and a fairly reasonable price for that level of performance at $1,399. It is a rather large and heavy beast, which is par for the course for Sigma’s Art series, but if you can deal with the weight, you’ll be rewarded with truly stunning image quality.

The autofocus is only average, but it gets the job done, and the lens works very well with Sony’s EyeAF capabilities. There really isn’t much more to say: it’s one of the best lenses I’ve ever had the pleasure to use."

Well... That's nice :D

I’m going to get my Nikon versions mount changed. Absolutely love the lens, it’s a stunner. On the Nikon the af was very quick, hope that doesn’t change.

Back