The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The Sony A6400, E 16-70mm f4, FE 35mm f2.8 and FE 55mm f1.8 would make for a very nice travelling setup. You could add the FE 70-200mm f4 for telephoto too! ;)

I have ended up going with the Sigma 16mm f/1.4, the Sony 24mm f/1.8 and the Sony 55mm f/1.8 which I already had, should cover what I need for holidays etc. I have the 70-200 f/4 already but not taking that on hols.

except the 16-70mm isn't all that good especially for his standards ;)

You know me so well. :D

Nice I had looked at the LG's, but due to gaming went with the Sony xf9005 and sadly for the sitting room 55 was the max we could fit.
sound wise mine back to a simple sound bar, the room shape and fact the wife didn't like the rumble at 11-2am meant my 5.1 mission speakers have been packed away for years.
how do the atoms sound bars compare to a full set up.

I’ve not had any issues gaming on my oled

I have ended up going with the Sigma 16mm f/1.4, the Sony 24mm f/1.8 and the Sony 55mm f/1.8 which I already had, should cover what I need for holidays etc. I have the 70-200 f/4 already but not taking that on hols.

The 16 1.4 is supposed to be a cracker. Bit big and awkward for smaller bodies, I went with a Pana-Leica 15mm 1.7 instead for M43 because it's basically a pancake, but from what I've heard the Sigma 16mm is even sharper.

The 16 1.4 is supposed to be a cracker. Bit big and awkward for smaller bodies, I went with a Pana-Leica 15mm 1.7 instead for M43 because it's basically a pancake, but from what I've heard the Sigma 16mm is even sharper.

Yeah I though it looked a bit bulky until I seen one on the flesh, it’s not too bad.

Mine doesn’t arrive until tomorrow but by all accounts it’s a good lens.

Only had a quick play with the A6400 but it seems decent enough. The a.f is excellent as expected. Menus etc seem more responsive weirdly than my A7III’s. Wasn’t really expecting that.

Last edited:

That’s a tidy holiday setup that is like to imitate I hope, less the 16.

I think I am going to off load all my Canon stuff this summer, looking for pretty direct replacements, i need similar to these.

Sigma 20/1.4 Art to ???
100/2.8 Macro L to 90/2.8 G
135/2.0 L to 135/1.8 GM or Sigma Art

The zooms not critical, honestly I seldom use them, but I'd like to replace the 16mm end though, that is useful sometimes.

16-35/2.8L
24-70/2.8L

For anyone interested, looking like the Samyang 85 1.4 is a better choice over the Sony 1.8, unless you really don't like fat lenses or insist on having Sony stamped on your lenses:

I think I am going to off load all my Canon stuff this summer, looking for pretty direct replacements, i need similar to these.

Sigma 20/1.4 Art to ???

The zooms not critical, honestly I seldom use them, but I'd like to replace the 16mm end though, that is useful sometimes.

16-35/2.8L
24-70/2.8L
You happy with using speedlites on the sony? I'm not personally atm

You happy with using speedlites on the sony? I'm not personally atm

I don't use Speedlite on the Sony, it's the Godox.

I am not 100% certain yet but I can offload some lenses like the 135L, 24-70 etc as I only use them in daylight and I don't use the Canon in daylight these days.

Hi Folks

Little question here and its driving me nuts.
How can i use the Back AF button without it zooming on the A7R III.
I realise its probably staring me in the face but for the love of me i cant find the answer.

Thanks

Hi Folks

Little question here and its driving me nuts.
How can i use the Back AF button without it zooming on the A7R III.
I realise its probably staring me in the face but for the love of me i cant find the answer.

Thanks

Change its custom function.

Sigma 20/1.4 Art to ???

16-35/2.8L
24-70/2.8L

If you must have F1.4 on your 20mm then the only option is Sigma in E-mount. Otherwise there is a tokina 20mm f2 also.

Just updated my godox flash kit at long last, much of it being several version behind latest so if you haven’t, worth looking at. Only snag is the software is windows only so had a few issues getting past the works laptop restrictions but simple afterwards.

I went to see that last night, it's awesome but I'm an emotional wreck...you'll love it!

Watched it last night. It is a very good movie and I actually enjoyed it throughly :eek:
Normally I go the super hero movies expecting no more than prerequisite a number of explosions and a bad guy dying at the end.
But this movie felt like a complete one i.e. a very good movie and not just another super hero movie!

Watched it last night. It is a very good movie and I actually enjoyed it throughly :eek:
Normally I go the super hero movies expecting no more than prerequisite a number of explosions and a bad guy dying at the end.
But this movie felt like a complete one i.e. a very good movie and not just another super hero movie!

It’s awesome isn’t it. With it having been built up over 21 previous films and 11 years, it had a lot of pressure to be good!

It’s awesome isn’t it. With it having been built up over 21 previous films and 11 years, it had a lot of pressure to be good!

Indeed and it delivered. I haven't liked all the marvel movies (especially some earlier ones). Some are better than others. I did not think much of even infinity wars. But this one kinda made up for all that and some more.

I don’t know why anyone would buy own brand these days, they’ve really taken it to them.

I agree, the oem flash's offer nothing over and above what Godox do and in some cases less at a much higher cost often 3 times more expensive. Plus the fact that all of the Godox stuff works so well together is a big bonus.

I am a great believer in buying the best tool for the job, often regardless of cost, but even though Godox are often by far the cheapest option, they are often still the best option in terms of features.

I can’t wait until it comes out in 4K UHD with Dolby Vision & Atmos.
Already got a few of Marvel movies.

I don't know how good the 35mm f2 will be but tbh after waiting all this time for Sony to make a nice compact 35mm f1.8 I think I've given up and if they made a 35mm f1.8 macro as good as the 55mm f1.8 tomorrow I might just not bother, such is my growing apathy.

Gosh knows why they haven't made a 35mm f1.8 yet. I know it'll take sales from the 35mm f2.8 and f1.4 but I had thought that Sony had grasped the concept that if you don't cannibalise your own sale the competition will be in take the sales off you.

OK so I'm looking at moving from my fuji XT2 as want to try sonys full frame and want to give it a go. Budget to start would be around £1600 and could upgrade or add further lenses later.

My main photography interests are architecture street and some fashion. My head is mashed looking at the various cameras and I can't decide between the A7ii to start of with or a7rii, or just go for the a7iii. I don't do video so not bothered about that. Regarding lenses I've been looking at the tamron g2 24-70 or the tamron 28-75mm and maybe pick up a 35 2.8 samyang for street.

Any thoughts?

OK so I'm looking at moving from my fuji XT2 as want to try sonys full frame and want to give it a go. Budget to start would be around £1600 and could upgrade or add further lenses later.

My main photography interests are architecture street and some fashion. My head is mashed looking at the various cameras and I can't decide between the A7ii to start of with or a7rii, or just go for the a7iii. I don't do video so not bothered about that. Regarding lenses I've been looking at the tamron g2 24-70 or the tamron 28-75mm and maybe pick up a 35 2.8 samyang for street.

Any thoughts?

Your cases don't sound very demanding of the AF system, I think you might be better served by the A7rii for the architecture or A7iii IF you decide you do want the best AF. Id personally avoid the A7ii as you can afford the other two models.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

skip the A7ii. Go for either A7RII or A7III depending on your budget.

Is the A7II really so bad? Sony users always seem very quick to dismiss it.

If £1600 is your overall budget a used A7RII would be the better option, you're leaving yourself pretty tight for lenses if you go A7III. I had the same dilemma recently, really wanted the A7III but was going to opt for the A7RII so I could concentrate more on lenses - also I don't need super fast AF for the way I shoot and rarely ever use video. If you can find a nice one for around £1000 you're off to a good start, the A7III used will be more like 1400 or more depending before you buy a lens

In the end I actually decided to give Fuji another try instead, it makes more sense for me, I just cannot afford the lenses I would really want for Sony. But I never say never, will see how it goes in future.

Is the A7II really so bad? Sony users always seem very quick to dismiss it.

If £1600 is your overall budget a used A7RII would be the better option, you're leaving yourself pretty tight for lenses if you go A7III. I had the same dilemma recently, really wanted the A7III but was going to opt for the A7RII so I could concentrate more on lenses - also I don't need super fast AF for the way I shoot and rarely ever use video. If you can find a nice one for around £1000 you're off to a good start, the A7III used will be more like 1400 or more depending before you buy a lens

In the end I actually decided to give Fuji another try instead, it makes more sense for me, I just cannot afford the lenses I would really want for Sony. But I never say never, will see how it goes in future.

The reason Sony users tend to dismiss it is because its basically an A7 mk1 (very cheap) with IBIS, this makes the A7i look much better value, its more like a mk1.5 in terms of performance (tbf though the handling is also updated). The A7rii is a significant upgrade over the A7ii.

Last edited:
The reason Sony users tend to dismiss it is because its basically an A7 mk1 (very cheap) with IBIS, this makes the A7i look much better value, its more like a mk1.5 in terms of performance. The A7rii is a significant upgrade over the A7ii.

There's not that much in the price though between the I & II [used] - I'd prefer to have the IBIS. I thought there was a few other improvements beside no?

There's not that much in the price though between the I & II [used] - I'd prefer to have the IBIS. I thought there was a few other improvements beside no?

Yeah, I edited, the handling is nicer, but other than that not really, AF is pretty much the same, so is sensor performance, the colour is similar to mk1 which isn't great in my experience and Im not talking jpg. The Rii was when there were very noticeable differences in performance all round. IMO well worth the extra. Could go either way and say, save some and buy the mk1 or spend a little more again and buy the rii.

Last edited:
Back