The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Waiting patiently for @addicknchips impressions on the 85mm from last night like...

giphy.gif

i didn't take it out yesterday but will do so tonight. having had a play with it in the garden the most notable thing for me is the oval shaped bokeh. that may be due to me being fairly spoiled by some top-end 85mm's or equivalents.

Pricing error, the a7ii is 1199. Might get lucky if they ship a few before they notice.
Possibly but if so its also an error in store (not sure if they are linked or not). Someone on hotukdeals got one for £1,199 in store and has posted the receipt as evidence.

Last edited:
Possibly but if sonits also an error in store (not sure if they are linked or not). Someone on hotukdeals got one for £1,199 in store and has posted the receipt as evidence.

Would've been before the site error got corrected, store manager probably didn't know at that time. Sometimes they honour misprices, I've had it in the past.

Last edited:
They don’t though, think about how many posts there has been on this forum alone about focus issues with third party lenses. A large reason for that is because they are having to reverse engineer the a.f algorithms.
Can't say I've noticed tbh. I must have been lucky with my Tamron and Sigma stuff then (y)

Would've been before the site error got corrected, store manager probably didn't know at that time. Sometimes they honour misprices, I've had it in the past.
Pricing isn't store specific I believe. Hence I'm not sure if it's all linked centrally or not I.e. it may be linked to the online price.

I called up earlier and they confirmed the £1,199 price but none in my local store. So if there are stores with stock then I expect they will be for £1,199.

i didn't take it out yesterday but will do so tonight. having had a play with it in the garden the most notable thing for me is the oval shaped bokeh. that may be due to me being fairly spoiled by some top-end 85mm's or equivalents.
Looking forward to some sample pics... so the choice is either either oval shaped bokeh from the 85mm 1.4 or the swirly bokeh from the sony 85mm 1.8 (within a similiar price bracket) :p

How's the AF feel?

Looking forward to some sample pics... so the choice is either either oval shaped bokeh from the 85mm 1.4 or the swirly bokeh from the sony 85mm 1.8 (within a similiar price bracket) :p

How's the AF feel?

seems fast but doing some tests under easy conditions and the eye af seems to be hitting the eyelash more often than the eye. not sure if this is the lens or down to the latest camera firmware (but haven't heard of any complaints about that).

i know f1.4 on an 85mm is razor thin dof but i don't remember having this issue with the gm.

I think Sony vet who they'll give the info too. I think you have to be a reputable company which is going to produce something worthwhile... or something like that. I think there was an instance recently of a tutor at Uni (or something like that) who'd applied for the mount info and was refused and then kicked off a bit.
Not sure if that is correct they will provide to any manufacturer free of charge as long as they sign a licence agreement. They even have that stated on the Sony website. Likely that guy refused to sign the licence agreement.

I exchanged a few messages with him on dpreview last year to understand the deal. Sony indeed doesn't provide everything to everyone for free. It seems the information you get access to for free is rather basic and probably what samyang had access to for example which is why you need to upgrade and calibrate samyang lenses via. a dock instead of through body.

the other end of the spectrum is you get full access including the ability to update lenses via. body like tamron lens which is updated via. the body and works mostly as well as any other native lens.

It all depends on how friendly a company is willing to get with Sony and possibly pay them for the advanced access. I doubt any individual will be simply able to get access to this information.

"Open mount" doesn't imply its open source or everything is free. Simply means there is a way to get access whatever that method might be unlike canikon where there is no such means.

Last edited:
Oooooh! I might actually have bought one of those cheapie A7III's. Oh well.

I took my A7 and a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 out for a walk.

100% makes a nice screen filling picture.

b7poIdt.jpg

AnBPjcP.jpg

"Take my picture!" This will be zapped off electronically to her mam and sister.

ll3eJLG.jpg

I don't think it's quite as good as the Rokkor 50mm f1.4. It's not quite as sharp and the Rokkor has IMO less CA and a bit nicer bokeh. The Canon lens is quite a nice though.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oooooh! I might actually have bought one of those cheapie A7III's. Oh well.

I took my A7 and a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 out for a walk.

100% makes a nice screen filling picture.

b7poIdt.jpg

AnBPjcP.jpg

"Take my picture!" This will be zapped off electronically to her mam and sister.

ll3eJLG.jpg

I don't think it's quite as good as the Rokkor 50mm f1.4. It's not quite as sharp and the Rokkor has IMO less CA and a bit nicer bokeh. The Canon lens is quite a nice though.

Nice one, about time some might say :p

I'm a bit raging tbh, had the money to grab one just the other week and would have jumped on it. Not meant to be.

I'm waiting for Amazon to knock them back down to £1,699 at least.

Long time since I've been here, but still snapping away!

Some bluebell and other family portraits, mostly (entirely actually) with the 85mm f/1.8.
Off to Morocco on Thursday so looking forward to that...

Morocco? Sounds lovely. A friend of mine used to go there twice a year and loved it.

We're off to Singapore in August and Gosh I need a holiday :D

Nice one, about time some might say :p

I'm a bit raging tbh, had the money to grab one just the other week and would have jumped on it. Not meant to be.

I might not bother.

The A7 does just about everything I want it to and half the time I'm using manual lenses so the focus advantages and speed of the newer models wont be a great advantage. Actually one thing I do miss is being able to link metering with the point of focus so that and an electronic shutter could tempt me but honestly I'm not really desperate to buy a new camera.

I might not bother.

The A7 does just about everything I want it to and half the time I'm using manual lenses so the focus advantages and speed of the newer models wont be a great advantage. Actually one thing I do miss is being able to link metering with the point of focus so that and an electronic shutter could tempt me but honestly I'm not really desperate to buy a new camera.

Aha, I read it wrong, I thought you meant you did buy one!

Aha, I read it wrong, I thought you meant you did buy one!

I looked at the site thinking I might but they'd sold out by then.

My lust for shiny new things has been satisfied a bit by buying two very cheap mechanical automatic Chinese watches, an Ess Minimal and a Tevise T801. I've had the Tevise metal strap removed and replaced with a plastic/leather one and I've also cleaned a Sekonda automatic I've had for decades and will get a new strap for it next time I'm in town. The idea is to wear these instead of my Swiss watches when I wandering about the dodgier areas of my hometown or scrambling around the undergrowth taking pictures of flowers. Actually I think the Ess Minimal is too good for that as I think it's just lovely :D Only £14.33 too :D The Tevise was £17.04 :D

I could maybe do with a new bag before we go to Singapore as I'm worried about my camera getting banged about in the one I'm using.

Last edited:
I looked at the site thinking I might but they'd sold out by then.

My lust for shiny new things has been satisfied a bit by buying two very cheap mechanical automatic Chinese watches, an Ess Minimal and a Tevise T801. I've had the Tevise metal strap removed and replaced with a plastic/leather one and I've also cleaned a Sekonda automatic I've had for decades and will get a new strap for it next time I'm in town. The idea is to wear these instead of my Swiss watches when I wandering about the dodgier areas of my hometown or scrambling around the undergrowth taking pictures of flowers. Actually I think the Ess Minimal is too good for that as I think it's just lovely :D Only £14.33 too :D The Tevise was £17.04 :D

I could maybe do with a new bag before we go to Singapore as I'm worried about my camera getting banged about in the one I'm using.

I haven't owned a watch since I was 16! After losing one my dad had brought me back from the states I just never bothered again. More a collector's item these days it seems?

I think I read somewhere that people under 25 or something like that don't tend to wear watches and I can believe that as if they need to know the time they'll just look at their phones. I don't like phones. I used to wear a watch all day long and only take it off at night but these days I only wear a watch when going out as I'm limited in how long I can be gone for (due to looking after someone) so tend to be checking the time.

Strangely my dad couldn't wear watches as they'd all be ok for a while but then go haywire before stopping. He couldn't wear a ring either as they'd snap after a while. I don't have those problems, quite the opposite, but I think somewhere back in the family line there must have been a Uri Geller type. Anyway. I don't really like digital watches or ones with batteries in them so I usually buy mechanical watches and thought I'd give the cheap ones a go in case I get mugged or stuck in a bramble bush.

There's a guy who used to do camera reviews (he's a Panasonic MFT owner) who seems to be into cheap watches at the moment. He too has a Tevise 801 but I didn't get the idea from him :D

See cheap watch reviews here...

https://www.youtube.com/user/69acrowot/videos

I haven't owned a watch since I was 16! After losing one my dad had brought me back from the states I just never bothered again. More a collector's item these days it seems?

Not at all - I wear one daily and it helps me keep track of timed experiments in the lab - hate to be without one.

My lust for shiny new things has been satisfied a bit by buying two very cheap mechanical automatic Chinese watches,

I bought a Guanquin automatic last year, and it looks great but the mechanism stopped a week or so back. :(

I think I read somewhere that people under 25 or something like that don't tend to wear watches and I can believe that as if they need to know the time they'll just look at their phones. I don't like phones. I used to wear a watch all day long and only take it off at night but these days I only wear a watch when going out as I'm limited in how long I can be gone for (due to looking after someone) so tend to be checking the time.

Strangely my dad couldn't wear watches as they'd all be ok for a while but then go haywire before stopping. He couldn't wear a ring either as they'd snap after a while. I don't have those problems, quite the opposite, but I think somewhere back in the family line there must have been a Uri Geller type. Anyway. I don't really like digital watches or ones with batteries in them so I usually buy mechanical watches and thought I'd give the cheap ones a go in case I get mugged or stuck in a bramble bush.

There's a guy who used to do camera reviews (he's a Panasonic MFT owner) who seems to be into cheap watches at the moment. He too has a Tevise 801 but I didn't get the idea from him :D

See cheap watch reviews here...

https://www.youtube.com/user/69acrowot/videos

AH is that whatsisname? Harry Bunn or something, he used to do Panasonic vids a lot, used to watch them when I was switching but he seemed to disappear. He was into motorbikes and model aircraft too.

I can appreciate a decent mechanical watch [the one I lost was pretty decent] but I'm not the best for minding things like that. I forgot I did actually have another watch later on, got one for my birthday from my ex when I was 20-odd, this would have been just prior to the mobile phone explosion - once I had a phone I no longer felt the need. A nice watch can look well smart when you're wearing a suit, but as I worked in engineering and was covered in oil and scraps of metal most of the time through my 20's/30's a nice watch wasn't practical.

How much would i be looking at for my A7R.
Body only
low shutter count
Original battery
No strap.

Could also throw in a meike grip and some third party batteries.

Is there even a demand for them.

Just a head up if anyone is looking, up for sale soon with be an A7 with 28-70 (no box, or caps, but in excellent condition) that I was using as a stop gap (bought from LCE) and an A7III body only which is as new with zero shutter count (and maybe a further 28-70).

Just a head up if anyone is looking, up for sale soon with be an A7 with 28-70 (no box, or caps, but in excellent condition) that I was using as a stop gap (bought from LCE) and an A7III body only which is as new with zero shutter count (and maybe a further 28-70).

Omg selling again. A9 again?

Is that the kit you got from JL for £1199?

How much would i be looking at for my A7R.
Body only
low shutter count
Original battery
No strap.

Could also throw in a meike grip and some third party batteries.

Is there even a demand for them.

Between £500-£650 depending on your luck.

Back