The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Has that been in all cases?

Pretty sure they wouldn't release a FW update that said it degraded something. FW3.0 for me is spot on and the extra features are welcome (I recently shot 1400 shots using it and camera performed as well, maybe even slightly better), its an improvement and a nice upgrade, haven't tried 3.0.1 yet but will.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they wouldn't release a FW update that said it degraded something. FW3.0 for me is spot on and the extra features are welcome (I recently shot 1400 shots using it and camera performed as well, maybe even slightly better), its an improvement and a nice upgrade, haven't tried 3.0.1 yet but will.
And that's great for you, but I choose not to upgrade as i'm aware of instances were the FW has been pulled. However if they had the decency to detail the upgrade and gave the option to reset the camera to the 1st edition firmware, I might think about it.

I just updated our 7IIIs bro. 2 Back to back weddings tomorrow and Sat so maybe should have left them lol

Let me know how you get on didn’t have the balls to do mine before Saturdays wedding. :LOL:

And that's great for you, but I choose not to upgrade as i'm aware of instances were the FW has been pulled. However if they had the decency to detail the upgrade and gave the option to reset the camera to the 1st edition firmware, I might think about it.

And when FW is pulled the manufacturer rereleases an improved version, its not the end of the world. Stay on original FW and you're missing out on new features and improved performance.

Previous updates have killed the use of third party batteries and some memory cards and some of the apps on older models.

Previous updates have killed the use of third party batteries and some memory cards and some of the apps on older models.

Well Sony would say you shouldn't be using 3rd party batteries and you cant blame them, if someone buys a cheap £5 battery from china and it frys the camera thats not exactly their fault, and it didn't kill the use of all 3rd party batteries, thats nonsense, it just shows a warning. The (1 very specific type of) memory card fault was fixed (as I stated via another FW) wasn't it. App Store was removed afaik, none of the new cameras support it because thats Sony plan moving forward, HOWEVER, the only app most used was intervalometer (most were crap).... which they added in fw 3.0 along with improved eye af and animal eye af.

Last edited:
Well Sony would say you shouldn't be using 3rd party batteries and you cant blame them, if someone buys a cheap £5 battery from china and it frys the camera thats not exactly their fault, and it didn't kill the use of all 3rd party batteries, thats nonsense, it just shows a warning. The (1 very specific type of) memory card fault was fixed (as I stated via another FW) wasn't it. App Store was removed wasn't it and none of the new cameras support it because thats Sony plan moving forward, HOWEVER, the only app most used was intervalometer (most were crap).... which they added in fw 3.0 along with improved eye af and animal eye af.

Actually your talking nonsense the one before last did stop some third party batteries from working at all while others show a warning. Also some Lexar cards had the same issue with the last firmware along with the Sandisk cards so yeah yet more nonsense. :LOL:

Actually your talking nonsense the one before last did stop some third party batteries from working at all while others show a warning. Also some Lexar cards had the same issue with the last firmware along with the Sandisk cards so yeah yet more nonsense. :LOL:

So you've gone from saying it killed ALL 3P batteries to some and agreeing about the warning. :rolleyes: Was the memory card issue not fixed via fw?

Last edited:
Is anyone using the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8.

Thinking of selling the almost unused kit lens and 85 1.8 which I got for portraits as this could replace them both.

So you've gone from saying it killed ALL 3P batteries to some and agreeing about the warning. :rolleyes: Was the memory card issue not fixed via fw?

I can’t be bothered responding to that. Your a tit and talk nothing but nonsense.

And when FW is pulled the manufacturer rereleases an improved version, its not the end of the world. Stay on original FW and you're missing out on new features and improved performance.

How am I missing out on the so called new features and performance, when you don't know what I shoot?

How am I missing out on the so called new features and performance, when you don't know what I shoot?

If you don't want to update that's your choice, I'll take advantage of the improvements. It's a good thing that manufacturers are adding functionality, if an issue arises they are pretty quick to rerelease.

Last edited:
I think youre confusing me with yourself.

You always get on like this when someone proves you wrong on here anyway. It’s actually quite amusing. Do you do throw a tantrum in real life when your proven wrong as well?

You always get in like this when someone proves you wrong on here anyway. It’s acru quite amusing. Do you do through a tantrum in real life when your proven wrong as well?

No tantrums here, you're the baby that started name calling and saying all 3rd party batteries stopped working.

Thinking of selling the almost unused kit lens and 85 1.8 which I got for portraits as this could replace them both.
Think @nandbytes has/d it.
Had it, traded it for Sony 24-105mm.

The tamron is better than the kit lens but for portraits I'd definitely keep the FE85 which I also had (traded it for 85GM)

Had it, traded it for Sony 24-105mm.

The tamron is better than the kit lens but for portraits I'd definitely keep the FE85 which I also had (traded it for 85GM)
Thanks for that, may keep both then get a Samyang 35 2.8 and an ultra wide.

I’m using the tamron and 85 1.8.

Not had a great deal of use and only owned both for about two months after switching from Nikon.

I really like the tamron though.
it’s nice and small, feels well built and it focuses perfectly for me, even in low light it seemed perfect.

It’s as sharp as my Nikon 24-70 which was one of my sharpest lenses on Nikon ,the fact that it’s 1/3-1/2 the price of the main brands equivalents shows your buying for the brand more than anything.

Only down side is you might miss 24mm it’s a noticeable difference at 28mm.

Thanks for that, may keep both then get a Samyang 35 2.8 and an ultra wide.
I have been through bit of a journey with there focal lengths and still not sure about my choices.
Started off with CV15/4.5, FE35/2.8 and FE85/1.8.
Then swapped 15mm and 35mm for Zeiss 16-35mm f4 because I didn't mine swapping lenses.
Decided f4 wasn't good enough so swapped 16-35mm for zeiss and Samyang 35mm F1.4 (had them both one after the other). In fact after samyang I re-bought another Zeiss 35/1.4. unfortunately it came with a scratch so I had to return it.
I then bought the tamron 28-75mm followed by Sony 24GM and loawa 15mm/2. Since had a lot of trips planned I decided to swap the tamron for Sony 24-105 which is pretty much the only decision I am sure was a good one lol.

If you don't want to update that's your choice, I'll take advantage of the improvements. It's a good thing that manufacturers are adding functionality, if an issue arises they are pretty quick to rerelease.
It is (y)

Still €12 [about £10.50, not sure why I'm paying more than most] here for my Adobe sub, don't think they can just hike it without you agreeing to them doing so.

Back