The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yup looks to be the same, seems to be an area Sony is lagging behind as both Canon and Nikon are using a 2mp + rear displays but I've not used any of them so have no real point of reference for how good they are.

I use various systems, if I didn't I probably wouldn't notice but when using the Sony after the D850 the Sony screen is really poor. I'll put up with it now though for the improved EVF.

Trying to decide why I might want one :D will just wait for the other announcements and see how I feel.

The shutter sound is meant to be 'quiet' according to that pdf, i do wonder

Last edited:
Surprised they still don't have touch screen menus etc

Well it's not a hardware limitation, I assume we'll eventually get it as a firmware update in the same fashion as the latest Eye AF updates although I'm not holding my breath.

Does this spec justify all the excitement and explosions?

Does any? It's just a tool, wait a few years and you can replace it again.

I'm happy enough with the improvements, I've been wanting a better EVF for a while so this would be a large upgrade for that alone but I do wish Sony would take some time to fix outstanding issues we're currently living with too.

Does any? It's just a tool, wait a few years and you can replace it again.

I'm happy enough with the improvements, I've been wanting a better EVF for a while so this would be a large upgrade for that alone but I do wish Sony would take some time to fix outstanding issues we're currently living with too.

I ask because the rumors have been of a camera with crazy specs... but for all we know they may have been talking about whatever is still to come.

priorities mate lol

Well looks like the announcement is today at around 3pm.

I am in no need for upgrading yet as i have already gone over my allowance of what i spend per year on camera stuff so i would have to wait until next year march/april before entertaining the idea of upgrading to something.

What would make me upgrade my A9?

• Full global shutter at 24fps with zero banding
  • Picture profile
  • 4k 60fps
  • dual uhs 3 card slot and higher buffer clearout speed an capacity
  • Menu's fully compatible with touch
  • 36MP at least for more cropping ability(vital for sports toggers)
  • More weather sealing is welcome
  • USB C charging
  • slightly wider camera body so my fingers dont get crushed on the grip part
  • built in gps

What would make me upgrade the A7r3?

• 60MP sensor with at least a stop DR improvements
  • full 99 percent af coverage
  • 4k 60fps
  • wider camera like mentioned on the A9
  • 12fps a bonus?!?!
  • A9mk1's silent shutter ability(even if it was done at say 5fps) for heavily reduced rolling shutter
  • Weather sealing
  • Dual UHS 3 card slots
  • built in GPS
see above

Does this spec justify all the excitement and explosions?

For some yes, for some no. IMO they haven't done anything amazing but the A7RIII was pretty much unusable for me because of the EVF, they have improved weather sealing (apparently) something else that annoyed me so those 2 things with a higher MP is pretty good. Other than that nothing really to get excited about but its still early and the conference didn't actually give that many details.

I’m tempted but wish they improved the grip/ergonomics and added a top AF dial like the A9.

61mp though - them RAW files will be massive!

I have a 'colour 2019' custom preset which I typically run all my Sony files through - I've been happy but sometimes I wonder if it reddens the skin tones a little, I accidentally clicked another of my custom presets (created from when I was trying out some spydercolor thing). On it's own it seems to do nothing, but when applied after my 'colour 2019' I feel the skin has gotten a nice orangey glow without being 'orange'.

I'm more excited at this than the A7RIV right now :D

A9 Skin Tones by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Wont be buying, all I would want from that spec is video eye AF and AF point colour change in AFC, who knows, maybe it'll come in a FW update, shouldn't be difficult, esp as Sony has finally realised that FW updates are good for business.

Weirdly no interest in the R4 tbh. There will definitely be an SIII coming, this doesnt do 4k50p

For me the real time AF is really a great addition and something that I'd change bodies for. It's better than the expanded flexible spot tracking on the current M3 bodies.

things Sony is still missing:
- a decent touchscreen, come on every other camera has this now. It's not hard!
- focus stacking

For me the real time AF is really a great addition and something that I'd change bodies for. It's better than the expanded flexible spot tracking on the current M3 bodies.

things Sony is still missing:
- a decent touchscreen, come on every other camera has this now. It's not hard!
- focus stacking

I really am not sure why they don't do the touch screen properly….i mean they make phones as well….same tech isn't it ?!

The dial on top is the rear dial moved onto the top to make way for a bigger AF-ON button

You can change the colour of the focus point.

That's almost worth the upgrade itself

In view of the A7RIV announcement today, is there any chance of an A9 II this year?

Wont be buying, all I would want from that spec is video eye AF and AF point colour change in AFC, who knows, maybe it'll come in a FW update, shouldn't be difficult, esp as Sony has finally realised that FW updates are good for business.

Summed up my thought entirely.

18 months between models being significantly upgraded is a joke when your shelling out that much on a camera!! I foresee the S/H market being flooded with A7Riii's knocking the secondhand values of all sony's for six, I'm just glad I got out chasing features & megapixels and turned to the dark side. (Leica M10 & M2)
I still have my A7RIII kit but only use it for remote shooting these days, I'm much happier shooting the two M's.

Back