The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sod that.

H6D-400c ms here I come

Just for fun. Sigma 20mm f1.4, Tokina 20mm f2 (MF version) and Tamron 17-28mm f2.8.

fl8nNvY.jpg

I'm surprised that the Sigma is over £100 cheaper than the AF Tokina 20mm f2.

Last edited:
Really been thinking of that tamron as like the 28-75 I’ve got

You really do love the odd lenses. Perhaps a camera with a better sensor would serve better than buying more lenses? What happened with your a7 focus issue?

I don't think a 20mm f2 lens is odd. I've mentioned a few times that I'd like a lens to replace the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for my Canon DSLR's and that Tokina would be a direct replacement and almost certainly better than that old Sigma lens.

I haven't used my camera much this last few weeks and since I spotted that problem when I have used it it's been with a manual lens. I might change my mind and send it off to be looked at but I'm pretty sure it'll come back NFF and as it's pretty predictable and consistent my work around when taking close ups is to place the point I want sharpest in the bottom half of the focus box and that seems to work pretty much every time.

A better sensor wont help much as I'm pretty realistic about my needs. Although I do take high ISO pictures they're mostly for looking at on screen on my pc and other peoples tablets and phones and after basic processing they're fine for that and the people I share them with seem happy enough.

Yes and it's a lens I've thought of buying but two things stop me... wanting a replacement for that AF Sigma 20mm f1.8 and that I hope to take a cruise to see the northern lights one day and I think a wider than f3.x lens might be better for that.

I don't know if I'll ever get to go on that cruise as Mrs WW is Thai so holidays tend to be to see her family in Thailand and in August we went to Singapore again to see family. Before Mrs WW my last GF was a Kazakh who split her time between the UK, Belgium and Kazakhstan so holiday destinations were decided then too. I've mentioned the cruise to Mrs WW and she's keen but in reality it always comes down to Thailand/Singapore. Oh well... Other people who meet at work are both UK residents but I meet a Kazakh and a Thai :D

Someone I know went to Norway recently and jealous is an under statement :D

Last edited:
Yes and it's a lens I've thought of buying but two things stop me... wanting a replacement for that AF Sigma 20mm f1.8 and that I hope to take a cruise to see the northern lights one day and I think a wider than f3.x lens might be better for that.

I don't know if I'll ever get to go on that cruise as Mrs WW is Thai so holidays tend to be to see her family in Thailand and in August we went to Singapore again to see family. Before Mrs WW my last GF was a Kazakh who split her time between the UK, Belgium and Kazakhstan so holiday destinations were decided then too. I've mentioned the cruise to Mrs WW and she's keen but in reality it always comes down to Thailand/Singapore. Oh well... Other people who meet at work are both UK residents but I meet a Kazakh and a Thai :D

Someone I know went to Norway recently and jealous is an under statement :D

Yes, I've seen a lot of images, blogs and vlogs from Norway and it does look very very nice! I have taken night sky and Milky Way images with the f/3.5 but a wider aperture is a better option really. I bought a 24/1.4 for that. Having a dual purpose lens does make sense though.

A quick question for those who may have thought about this too. Currently I have the 24-105, 70-200 f4 and 100-400. It’s a good set up but the 70/200 f4 is little used because most of my stuff is wildlife with a little landscape. Would I be mad to swap out the 70-200 towards a 200-600? Potentially I’m thinking the 100-400 can cover the 70-200’s landscape uses but also be a lighter alternative for wildlife (which I love). The 200-600 would give the additional focal length up to 600mm which opens up the potential for bird photography and internal zoom focusing in situations it could be useful. .

A quick question for those who may have thought about this too. Currently I have the 24-105, 70-200 f4 and 100-400. It’s a good set up but the 70/200 f4 is little used because most of my stuff is wildlife with a little landscape. Would I be mad to swap out the 70-200 towards a 200-600? Potentially I’m thinking the 100-400 can cover the 70-200’s landscape uses but also be a lighter alternative for wildlife (which I love). The 200-600 would give the additional focal length up to 600mm which opens up the potential for bird photography and internal zoom focusing in situations it could be useful. .

Not sure that would make much sense, surely if you wanted a 200-600 the 100-400 should be the one getting changed?

So, as it's quite quiet here...

Tokina AF Firin 20mm f2 or

Samyang 18mm f2.8 or

Tamron 20mm f2.8 or

Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo pro lanthar or

Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 or

A7III ?

:D

Not sure that would make much sense, surely if you wanted a 200-600 the 100-400 should be the one getting changed?
The 100-400 is a great compact and lightweight alternative for the times I want to go out for wildlife but not carry huge heavy lenses. The 70-200 is too short for wildlife and isn’t used that much. My uses are about 80% wildlife and 20% landscape. The 100-400 can go both but at the cos my of being heavier for landscapes (but longer too) and lighter than the 200-600.

Really the option should be 70-200 f4 keep it not.

Samyang 18mm f2.8 or

Tamron 20mm f2.8 or

Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 or

A7III ?

A7iii first lol

Samyang 18mm f2.8 or

Tamron 20mm f2.8 or

Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 or

A7III ?

It's about time you got yourself a new body, so do that first then out of those the Tamron 17-28 for me is a better option than the Tokina, Samyang or the Tamron prime.

Last edited:
The 100-400 is a great compact and lightweight alternative for the times I want to go out for wildlife but not carry huge heavy lenses. The 70-200 is too short for wildlife and isn’t used that much. My uses are about 80% wildlife and 20% landscape. The 100-400 can go both but at the cos my of being heavier for landscapes (but longer too) and lighter than the 200-600.

Really the option should be 70-200 f4 keep it not.

I don't use my mine a lot either but I won't be getting rid as I like the lens the odd time I do use it.

I don't use my mine a lot either but I won't be getting rid as I like the lens the odd time I do use it.
The 70-200 f4 is a nice lens. I’m just trying to decide what would be used by me. Most of my stuff is wildlife so it kind makes sense to prioritise that. Potentially the 100-400 covers landscape use and a lightweight wildlife option. The 200-600 gives more focal length. The 70-200 and 200-600 makes a good combination but it means all my wildlife would need to be by a heavier longer lens. I guess the best would be to let the 70-200 go then make s decision later on a 200-600.

Samyang 18mm f2.8 or

Tamron 20mm f2.8 or

Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 or

A7III ?

Of the wide primes you have listed, I'd be tempted with the 17-28 at f/2.8 in all honesty Alan.

Of course, that's excluding your A7 focus issues in which case maybe the A7iii and an Adobe subscription.

I don't think anything else will be as much of a benefit in all honesty.

The 70-200 f4 is a nice lens. I’m just trying to decide what would be used by me. Most of my stuff is wildlife so it kind makes sense to prioritise that. Potentially the 100-400 covers landscape use and a lightweight wildlife option. The 200-600 gives more focal length. The 70-200 and 200-600 makes a good combination but it means all my wildlife would need to be by a heavier longer lens. I guess the best would be to let the 70-200 go then make s decision later on a 200-600.
Will you miss the 70-200mm? If the answer's no then you may as well get shot, but if there's going to be the odd time that you use it, nothing else will do and you'd miss it on those occasions then keep it and maybe stick with what you have?

Samyang 18mm f2.8 or

Tamron 20mm f2.8 or

Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 or

A7III ?

To throw something different into the mix, how about a Loxia 21mm 2.8 instead of the 20mm lenses

OMG for the first time getting it I've put the sony battery grip i got free with the camera onto it. Wow it does makes a real difference of handling it and it so much comfier for those longs days or when you know you going to be taking loads of images.. And with the large lens of course but I cant test that yet.

So when I am not using it much I am happy to keep it compact.. When I know i am going to use it a lot during the day or when I got a long lens on the grip will go on..

Well, back in the a7 world :)

I sold my A7ii kit about 2 years ago to downsize to A6000 as was planning on moving into a motorhome fulltime. Our van has a PC built in and I work online, the idea was to travel around whilst working and enjoy life. I was never happy with the A6000 and missed my A7

Well best laid plans and all that (n)

April 2018 and we were about ready. Our van still needed a little finishing, but with a huge Lithium power supply and every home comfort that was feasible (voice control, power shower, climate (of sorts), broadband, etc) it was about there. I then get a call and my Dad has chronic back pain in North Wales, so we decide to let the house go early. Claira would stay at my Sisters in Cornwall to work out her notice, I'd go to my Dad's and get him and the van sorted. Then, back to Cornwall, collect Claira and head for the continent.

When I got to Wales, it was obvious this was more than a bad back. After weeks of tests, resulting in my Dad being hospitalised, the results were in. He had an incurable, but treatable, Cancer called Myeloma. It was a tough time and I spent all my time looking after him. While this was going on, my website had been hacked. With all that was going on, I didn't notice until my bank was empty and they contacted me.

With treatment, my Dad wasn't in pain and could return home. I hadn't finished the van, but it was time to go and collect Claira after 3 months by myself. Off to Cornwall I drove. Picked her up, drove 30 miles, van turbo blew. Because of my bank situation, it took a while to get the money together to fix the van. We picked it up fixed and Dad was much better, so decided to get away for a few days.

50 miles up the road, the engine blew. New engine circa £4k - just not possible at the time. The van was towed back to my Dads drive in Oct 2018 and we have lived in it since, without an engine. During this time, a long term illness I've struggled with flared up again. It was touch and go, but I'm okay now.

Since my Dad was diagnosed, I looked after him. Then, in October, the inevitable happened. My Dad passed away.

For over a year I'd neglected work. It just didn't seem to matter. A few weeks after he passed I put my head down and started to rebuild. It will take a while as almost starting from scratch again, but I'll get there (y)

On the plus side, I flicked onto Amazon on Cyber Monday and see the original A7, with 28-70, for £599 with 5 months interest free. Okay, it's not a iii with a bunch of glass, but it's a capable camera and a start :giggle:

I need to stay here in Wales for a while yet to help my step Mum adjust to life without my Dad, but should be able to get a new engine during this time, then back to the original plan. Once the vans done I'll add a few lenses. I don't need anything else.

Sorry for the rant. I meant to just post about the camera. I guess I needed to vent a bit.

Love the A7 by the way,
David

I sold my A7ii kit about 2 years ago to downsize to A6000 as was planning on moving into a motorhome fulltime. Our van has a PC built in and I work online, the idea was to travel around whilst working and enjoy life. I was never happy with the A6000 and missed my A7

April 2018 and we were about ready. Our van still needed a little finishing, but with a huge Lithium power supply and every home comfort that was feasible (voice control, power shower, climate (of sorts), broadband, etc) it was about there. I then get a call and my Dad has chronic back pain in North Wales, so we decide to let the house go early. Claira would stay at my Sisters in Cornwall to work out her notice, I'd go to my Dad's and get him and the van sorted. Then, back to Cornwall, collect Claira and head for the continent.

When I got to Wales, it was obvious this was more than a bad back. After weeks of tests, resulting in my Dad being hospitalised, the results were in. He had an incurable, but treatable, Cancer called Myeloma. It was a tough time and I spent all my time looking after him. While this was going on, my website had been hacked. With all that was going on, I didn't notice until my bank was empty and they contacted me.

With treatment, my Dad wasn't in pain and could return home. I hadn't finished the van, but it was time to go and collect Claira after 3 months by myself. Off to Cornwall I drove. Picked her up, drove 30 miles, van turbo blew. Because of my bank situation, it took a while to get the money together to fix the van. We picked it up fixed and Dad was much better, so decided to get away for a few days.

50 miles up the road, the engine blew. New engine circa £4k - just not possible at the time. The van was towed back to my Dads drive in Oct 2018 and we have lived in it since, without an engine. During this time, a long term illness I've struggled with flared up again. It was touch and go, but I'm okay now.

Since my Dad was diagnosed, I looked after him. Then, in October, the inevitable happened. My Dad passed away.

For over a year I'd neglected work. It just didn't seem to matter. A few weeks after he passed I put my head down and started to rebuild. It will take a while as almost starting from scratch again, but I'll get there (y)

On the plus side, I flicked onto Amazon on Cyber Monday and see the original A7, with 28-70, for £599 with 5 months interest free. Okay, it's not a iii with a bunch of glass, but it's a capable camera and a start :giggle:

I need to stay here in Wales for a while yet to help my step Mum adjust to life without my Dad, but should be able to get a new engine during this time, then back to the original plan. Once the vans done I'll add a few lenses. I don't need anything else.

Sorry for the rant. I meant to just post about the camera. I guess I needed to vent a bit.

Love the A7 by the way,
David

Crikey David. Bloody Hell !!

Good luck to you and yours for the future.

Love the A7 by the way,
David

Feel for you buddy hope the new camera brings you some well deserved joy.

I lost my Dad less than 2 years ago and it’s something I think about every day.

Love the A7 by the way,
David

Wow! That's way more downs than ups. All the best for the future & your plans.

Love the A7 by the way,
David
Sorry to hear about all of this, stay strong (y)

OMG for the first time getting it I've put the sony battery grip i got free with the camera onto it. Wow it does makes a real difference of handling it and it so much comfier for those longs days or when you know you going to be taking loads of images.. And with the large lens of course but I cant test that yet.

So when I am not using it much I am happy to keep it compact.. When I know i am going to use it a lot during the day or when I got a long lens on the grip will go on..

It does add some useful grip for vertical shooting however it is also bulky and adds substantial more weight.
For a long day I’d use the A9 without the grip.

Been pretty quiet today

Love the A7 by the way,
David

Sounds like you've had a torrid time of it personally. I can relate, I rarely post personal issues on here but I've had a few upsets over the past year for sure so I can definitely relate. I've actually been thinking on selling on all my gear as I have other stuff that is definitely priority right now, but then again, that simple gear is often what takes us away, gives us a purpose and makes us smile [despite all the argy-bargy on these forums] - so much as I say the gear doesn't matter, it does in some ways. Just so long as it's gear that gets you out there and spending some 'me time' - enjoy :)

Back