The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I wanted a photo of this watercolour on silk before re-framing. Taken through glass with 85 loxia again

One of my hobbies is to photo Steam locos. Often the people crowd the platform, so a wide angle lens would be better. I realise you can get distortion when you are too close, but what lens would you recommend for the Sony A73? It would be nice if it had a zoom to make it a travel lens, but not at the expense of losing too much sharpness. Hopefully not too expensive.

Kit lens should be alright or for more cash the Tamron 28_75 2.8.

Thanks. As a matter of interest, is the kit lens with the A7, the same kit lens with the A73? I have the A7 Kit lens, but reviews don't seem great.

Yes, it's a £100 lens, I think that's a bargain for a full frame zoom lens. What matters is if you think it performs well enough?

Last edited:
Thanks. As a matter of interest, is the kit lens with the A7, the same kit lens with the A73? I have the A7 Kit lens, but reviews don't seem great.
Yes, it's a £100 lens, I think that's a bargain for a full frame zoom lens. What matters is if you think it performs well enough?

I used it for a while. And I think for landscape shots not wide open it was more than good enough.

Think I actually prefer this one?

49410832137_d27d6a0915_b.jpg

@Livin The Dream ....Kris, it’s close for me they both give a slightly different feel but if I had to chose I think I would go for the first.

I’d be happy if I took either....

Last weekend I resurrected an old Minolta 75-300 on the LA-EA4 'just to see'. Compared to a modern lens or even the beercan it sucks, but it's still *usable* in the right circumstances.

Winter Cherwell Valley 1 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Winter Cherwell Valley 2 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Winter Cherwell Valley 3 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Why does it suck? Nothing wrong with those images. I guess you're stopped down a fair bit here though? Still, looks decent

Beautiful, but ... I'll be the one, why crop the top of her head?

Quite common in portraits, I am a head cropper. It’s more about the symmetry, having the eyes in the top third ‘line’ (if you draw it. Just how it fell here, it’s not a necessity but I do like the eyes on that top third.

Last edited:
Quite common in portraits, I am a head cropper. It’s more about the symmetry, having the eyes in the top third ‘line’ (if you draw it.

I get ya, I dont mind a crop either, but his just seemed a little light, I'll either crop hard to frame specifically or keep the full head in. But if this is how you waned it , so be it. She's very photogenic so you're blessed to have a free model basically :)

I get ya, I dont mind a crop either, but his just seemed a little light, I'll either crop hard to frame specifically or keep the full head in. But if this is how you waned it , so be it. She's very photogenic so you're blessed to have a free model basically :)

I’m a devout Peter Hurley fan. He’s the headshot maestro and almost always chops into the head to have the eyes dissecting the top third line, that’s his theory - it works for him [emoji16]

I’m a devout Peter Hurley fan. He’s the headshot maestro and almost always chops into the head to have the eyes dissecting the top third line, that’s his theory - it works for him [emoji16]

I'm certainly no expert, I get the crop thing, but I think a little tighter may work better? But again, it's your image ... and there's nowt wrong with it, just that limited crop gets me

I had the same kit lens. I thought it was pretty good.

Same here, and the DXO results show it's not half bad, and nothing like the 16-50 kit lens on the A6000 series.

Of course, the 24-105 is the one to have if the £££s are plentiful. Alas... :(

Why does it suck? Nothing wrong with those images. I guess you're stopped down a fair bit here though? Still, looks decent

It sucks because nothing was crisp or clean, the CA is terrible and because the lens lets very little light in the ISO was between 1600 and 6400, compromising dynamic range. Usable at this size for t'web, but not great.

Have no idea if this is legit or not (probably not)

The video guys that have been waiting for an A7SIV/A7SIII are doing there nut that is only 30p though.

83215169_2693802314074554_2832421646269153280_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back