The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I read that already, but it is still better than zero.

I thought about getting a proper bio chemical grade facemask but i think that would be a tad OTT.

Many commercially available face masks may not provide adequate protection, primarily due to poor facial fit. The latter is important, make sure they fit your face properly. This applies to asbestos removal employees and any works involving dust particulates.

I bought an A9 and not long after got an additional A9II, I then needed to purchase another one and ended up going with another A9, there wasn't enough difference for me between the two to justify the extra cost.

A9II would maybe be an advantage for a sports photographer but not for me.

Forgot to mention @Gadget-Guy there is only a £1050 difference between the two if you buy grey import.

A9II grey import is not much more expensive than an U.K A9. The grey import price on an A9 is very good as well.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/search/a9

Didnt even think about going grey in all honesty.

Will see if i can shift my 1DX MKII before in becomes obsolete LOL

your needing to look for at least n95/ffp2 level masks to have any affect. but due whats going on good luck finding them at a reasonable cost. we ordered so the first day it became news and they were up in price to £25 for 20 disposable ones. now your looking at £25 for 5:oops: :$ if they have stock

Never understood the idea behind face masks unless there is like a real epidemic.

That's the mindset of the west. In the east, facemasks as used for

1 - Spread your own germs to others when you are sick. Like how you hate someone coughing without covering their mouths.
2 - Try not to catch it when it is cold and flu season.
3 - Allergies like pollen season
4 - Got a massive spot on the face or haven't done makeup that day.

Honestly, I think it is a great idea for all the above reasons.

That's the mindset of the west. In the east, facemasks as used for

1 - Spread your own germs to others when you are sick. Like how you hate someone coughing without covering their mouths.
2 - Try not to catch it when it is cold and flu season.
3 - Allergies like pollen season
4 - Got a massive spot on the face or haven't done makeup that day.

Honestly, I think it is a great idea for all the above reasons.

1 - sure but I am generally not sick and when I am contagious I stay at home.
2 - useful especially so when traveling getting sick is the last thing you want to do. But I use the London underground everyday and I am sure I have fallen sick a few times in last 10 year from it but not enough to warrant using it everyday.
3 - I'd have to wear glasses also but these days I don't have issue with pollens tbh.
4 - not something that bothers me but of course could spare someone else the sight but there are more uglier things to look at than the spot on my face lol.

I am not against the idea, I am more for it than not but don't see it as necessity as some people do :)

1 - sure but I am generally not sick and when I am contagious I stay at home.
2 - useful especially so when traveling getting sick is the last thing you want to do. But I use the London underground everyday and I am sure I have fallen sick a few times in last 10 year from it but not enough to warrant using it everyday.
3 - I'd have to wear glasses also but these days I don't have issue with pollens tbh.
4 - not something that bothers me but of course could spare someone else the sight but there are more uglier things to look at than the spot on my face lol.

I am not against the idea, I am more for it than not but don't see it as necessity as some people do :)

Most people don't have the luxuary to stay at home when they just got a cold or a cough. The practice is good, only the west sees it at some kind of epidemic and end of the world stuff. The east sees it as simple as putting on a hairband in keeping your hair up.

The issue here isn't the facemask, it is the perception of the west who are not used to it.

So - one more photographer here who is getting to grips with the Sony a9 ii.
Swapped part of my Canon gear for Sony A9 and Sony A9 ii .. plus couple of lenses.
Until I am all comfortable and stuff with them, I do have my two Canon 1DX mkII bodies and lenses for certain bits of work.
And once I am sure... it will be a full switch to Sony.
Too many photoshoots in the comings weeks to make a full switch now...

got my sayang 18mm today.

not sure about it though.. will do some more testing before I decide if I will keep it or return it.

seems nice and sharp in the centre even at 2.8. edges are pretty bad though.
its a noisy little bugger.. af is noisy and so is changing aperture

I’m pleased with mine considering price and size. I’ve not really noticed the noise but I don’t do video so it wouldn’t bother me anyway.

Seems sharp enough at 2.8 but I won’t be using an UWA at 2.8 very often anyway. Colour rendition is nice too.

Meh, all you need...

5100IBW3BFL._AC_SY400_.jpg

So - one more photographer here who is getting to grips with the Sony a9 ii.
Swapped part of my Canon gear for Sony A9 and Sony A9 ii .. plus couple of lenses.
Until I am all comfortable and stuff with them, I do have my two Canon 1DX mkII bodies and lenses for certain bits of work.
And once I am sure... it will be a full switch to Sony.
Too many photoshoots in the comings weeks to make a full switch now...
Your joining a big line of photographers who have moved over to Sony, very few have complained and gone back the other way.
The A9/A9 II make life easier for the working photographer, especially with the AF tracking system which adds Eye-AF etc.
Let us know how you get one once you've got to grips with the Sony system..... try not to dive into the Menu's too much as it can be a minefield. lol

your needing to look for at least n95/ffp2 level masks to have any affect. but due whats going on good luck finding them at a reasonable cost. we ordered so the first day it became news and they were up in price to £25 for 20 disposable ones. now your looking at £25 for 5:oops: :$ if they have stock

I'd go for FFP3 filter mask, as recommended by NHS for virus and bacterial infection also for asbestos works (as per my previous post).

No, you'll be needing a kick up your ass.
:eek: lol ermmmm
Ordered some Canon Selphy Ink & Paper and a Photo Album, going to start printing more photos out and build up a family album. :D
Still eager to see what Fuji do with the new Fuji X100V and XT-4 though..... :eek: lol

Last edited:
Reading about this the other day, it was said that the 'holes' in the masks are two big & won't stop virus getting through, but it will help, however they said that is not a lot of help if the eyes are not protected, so you need goggles or similar as well. I imagine glasses at the very least.

Reading about this the other day, it was said that the 'holes' in the masks are two big & won't stop virus getting through, but it will help, however they said that is not a lot of help if the eyes are not protected, so you need goggles or similar as well. I imagine glasses at the very least.

I am a glasses wearer anyway.

I can't walk around like Walter White making meth though. I am not going to China and China has banned tours groups leaving the country! I really dislike them at the best of times.

Most people don't have the luxuary to stay at home when they just got a cold or a cough. The practice is good, only the west sees it at some kind of epidemic and end of the world stuff. The east sees it as simple as putting on a hairband in keeping your hair up.

The issue here isn't the facemask, it is the perception of the west who are not used to it.

We are certainly not used to it here.

They also get weird stares sometimes when seen on the underground

Good idea
Aye, I got a fair few printed already but not really got around to building a album properly in order / story etc.
Doing this probably won't save me from selling the Sony gear though! :D lol
Going to print off some iPhone snaps too.... I am sure the differences between sensor sizes is reduced vastly when viewing on a 6x4 print!

Aye, I got a fair few printed already but not really got around to building a album properly in order / story etc.
Doing this probably won't save me from selling the Sony gear though! :D lol
Going to print off some iPhone snaps too.... I am sure the differences between sensor sizes is reduced vastly when viewing on a 6x4 print!
What will you be selling?

Hopefully within the next 2-5 weeks, it's a difficult choice so trying not to rush into it. :)
I will give you a shout.
Thanks but will be away most of Feb. I'll keep an eye on here.
I am tempted to make an offer for all three of your lenses but we'll see...

It'll be no worst than the underground :p
I am sure he doesn't wear a mask out and about in London

:eek: lol ermmmm
Ordered some Canon Selphy Ink & Paper and a Photo Album, going to start printing more photos out and build up a family album. :D
Still eager to see what Fuji do with the new Fuji X100V and XT-4 though..... :eek: lol

A part of me thinks you're barking mad but so many people go from kit to kit until their head spins you're in lots of company although I'd just stick with an A7x and 35mm f2.8 as you won't save any bulk or weight worth the bother by going for anything else with half decent IQ bigger than a 1" compact.

Other than that... hopefully you'll get a lot of pictures worthy of that album with whatever kit you end up with.

Two pictures taken with a Kippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4, wide open and f8.

Just a walk to the shops and she wanted a picture to send home.

4eazkTL.jpg

xXTEdPX.jpg

At f1.4 this reminds me of the M mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. It really struggles with flare wide open, there's a bucket load of fringing and stuff and a whole lot of funkiness. f1.4 is useable indoors in lowlight though and outdoors too with IMO surprisingly good results if you watch where the sun is. It's tamer at f2 and at f5.6 + it's almost indistinguishable from other film era lenses. It's built like a tank and could probably survive being run over by one.

It's sharp across the frame except for the very extreme corners at f8.

I think this was f2.

KVqvyFO.jpg

Last edited:
Back