The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There's an A6000 + Zeiss 32mm f1.8 and Sigma 19mm f2.8 in the for sale section.

I don't know why I keep wanting one. I have two MFT RF style cameras which I'm sure handle better for me and I have just about all the lenses I need for MFT from 14 to 400mm but I still keep looking at the A6xxx's when they come up for sale :D

They are fantastic value, and so much packed into a small body. Had the 6000 and now the 6500, which with the 18-135mm is a great all-day combination.

But... (there's always a "but") I've finally got too frustrated by the lack of control dials, especially because I find the Sony rear dial too fiddly to use while the camera is at my eye. The layout of the A7 (which I got first) spoiled me with EV/SS/Ap so easy to change. The older NEX-7 has two assignable dials and is cheap as chips these days.

They are fantastic value, and so much packed into a small body. Had the 6000 and now the 6500, which with the 18-135mm is a great all-day combination.

But... (there's always a "but") I've finally got too frustrated by the lack of control dials, especially because I find the Sony rear dial too fiddly to use while the camera is at my eye. The layout of the A7 (which I got first) spoiled me with EV/SS/Ap so easy to change. The older NEX-7 has two assignable dials and is cheap as chips these days.

This is one thing that puts me off as does the size of some of the lenses.

It would make sense to have one as I could use my A7 lenses on it and it'd give better image quality than MFT but with MFT I get better handling (for me) and the teeny tiny cheap lenses and any better image quality I'd get from moving to APS-C would possibly be small. I should just be satisfied with what I have but I keep looking.

but with MFT I get better handling (for me) and the teeny tiny cheap lenses and any better image quality I'd get from moving to APS-C would possibly be small. I should just be satisfied with what I have but I keep looking.

For me, MFT was a step too small. I loved the ergonomics of the E-M1 and E-M10, but the IQ was just not good enough. So for better handling I'm staying with APS-C and am just about to dip my toes into Fujifilm. All those lovely hardwired dials! :love:

how old is your lens? I could be interested. My 28-75 is 3 months old and used about 5 times. UK purchased

Bought on June 29th 2018, hardly used. If you want to one of us should open a For Sale/Wanted thread. How much would you want for your lens? I'd need to cancel the MPB courier for tomorrow if we want to take this swap further.

So the Nikon D6 has been announced..... following the Canon 1Dx III announcement I don't think Sony have anything to worry about just yet :)
Sony A9 / A9 II is still the best choice if your starting a new system or moving from the long-term players like Nikon & Canon.
:D

Natural History Museum’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year awards are out and not a single mirrorless system was used by all the winners!!! WTF :(
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/wpy/community/peoples-choice/2019/index.html
The Winner was.... Sam the Wildlife Photographer of the Year LUMIX People's Choice award.

_110862357_samrowley.jpg

Gear and specs: Nikon D500 + 105mm f2.8 lens; 1/125 sec at f2.8; ISO 1000.

Golly Gosh that's quite expensive.

Other than being able to mount your existing Nikon lenses on it does it have any advantage over the cheaper A9x?

I suppose the fact that it's a traditional DSLR will be enough for those who see mirrorless as too radical for them.

"World’s Fastest 0.02 seconds AF acquisition speed"

I used a power zoom on a NEX years ago and didn't like it as it constantly overshot what I wanted. I hope they're better these days.

BOth the D6/1dx3 are a let down spec-wise!
I cant blame sony for just doing small updates on it as they probably knew the 1x3/d6 would barely be a upgrade to the previous version of those cameras(which the original A9 already blew away)

"World’s Fastest 0.02 seconds AF acquisition speed"

I used a power zoom on a NEX years ago and didn't like it as it constantly overshot what I wanted. I hope they're better these days.

A6100 spec

Autofocus you can rely on
Wide AF area, super-fast acquisition speed and persistent tracking
The camera's wide AF coverage is based on dense arrays of 425 phase-detection points and 425 contrast-detection points, for greatly increased detection accuracy. Fast performance from the latest-generation processing engine helps achieve a remarkable 0.02-second4 AF acquisition speed, while advanced algorithms work to predict your subject's future location.

BOth the D6/1dx3 are a let down spec-wise!

I think Nikon was stuffed either way, if they had poured resourced into making a world beating D6 they might have difficulty recouping the R&D costs while people transition to their new system but if they'd made a Z system camera at this level there aren't enough new customers to cover their R&D costs.

So it seems likely to me they thought it the more sensible choice to refresh the existing model with some small improvements so they can get the most out of their current pro users for the least resources (assuming I'm not just dismissing the D6 out of hand).

Back