The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Took these in Jan at the Battersea light festival before I went on holiday.

49635571553_2f78f5f3c1_b.jpg

49636371772_83e75c109a_b.jpg

49636092336_2e4b1f3cc1_b.jpg

#4 - Pano from 5 shots
49635565368_f4711684f3_b.jpg

49635562098_5c99356d3a_b.jpg

Customising a setting sounds like a good idea but as I’m currently struggling to set both the shutter speed and aperture simply in manual mode I’ve still got a long journey to go before then.

I have an a7ii and in manual mode the front dial controls the aperture and the rear one controls the shutter speed. If you have bought the camera second hand it may be worth resetting it to factory defaults (if you haven’t already)

Mark Galer is a Sony Ambassador and goes in-depth into the various settings for the Sony mirrorless Cameras. He is on YouTube and a good starting point, many of the videos can be over an hour long as he isn’t just trying to flog you preset packs.

https://www.markgaler.com/

OK, testing the Sammy 45 f1.8 yesterday in Oxford it seemed excellently sharp at f1.8. Presumably it was operator error the other day when my images seemed soft, although I don't know why unless this lens is much more fussy than the 85 f1.4 (whatever I point that at is sharp at any aperture).

A fun sample - I can see the dust on his nose at full size:
Night at the museum 1 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Are you guys making sure your washing not just your hands with soap and water, but your cameras gear too? Hehe

Stop it.

You're giving me ideas which I don't need as I have more than a bit of OCD at the best of times.

How about bags? How often do people clean their bags? Some I see are a complete disgrace.

I have a Wotancraft Ryker S for my Fooj..... its outrageously expensive but probably the best small camera man bag money can buy! Ask the Huffmeister :D lol

You mucky pup. I rest my case.

If I have to put my bag down I try to be careful but I suppose these days it'll be more important to be careful in the cafe or on the train and in other places likely to be contaminated by humans than in the countryside or at the beach where it's just dirt.

"Contaminated / contamination" are words I probably use 100 times a day.

Last edited:
I have a Wotancraft Ryker S for my Fooj..... its outrageously expensive but probably the best small camera man bag money can buy! Ask the Huffmeister :D lol
I don't think they're that expensive for what they are. I keep fancying one, a Ryker, but so far I'm sticking to my Billinghams and a cheap man bag.

I don't think they're that expensive for what they are. I keep fancying one, a Ryker, but so far I'm sticking to my Billinghams and a cheap man bag.

not really sure what they are or why they are so expensive tbh. Not sure they last two days in my hands is the feeling I get.

not really sure what they are or why they are so expensive tbh. Not sure they last two days in my hands is the feeling I get.
They are expensive because they are hand made and using the finest cows available to mankind for the leather. lol :p
And then add HMRC Import Charges too! :(
I am sure they are very durable though and will last a very long time, the zippers on them are proper heavy duty too.

Yup, small, light lens... if you need something faster then FE 35mm f1.8 ain't too bad size wise either... similar to the FE 55mm f1.8 :)
It's not bad, but more than double the weight of the f2.8. There's always the 28mm f2, that kinda fits somewhere in between but obviously might not be a suitable FL.

They are expensive because they are hand made and using the finest cows available to mankind for the leather. lol :p
And then add HMRC Import Charges too! :(
I am sure they are very durable though and will last a very long time, the zippers on them are proper heavy duty too.

not sure I could support such a business in that case.

I have an a7ii and in manual mode the front dial controls the aperture and the rear one controls the shutter speed. If you have bought the camera second hand it may be worth resetting it to factory defaults (if you haven’t already)

Mark Galer is a Sony Ambassador and goes in-depth into the various settings for the Sony mirrorless Cameras. He is on YouTube and a good starting point, many of the videos can be over an hour long as he isn’t just trying to flog you preset packs.

https://www.markgaler.com/

Thanks for that, will have a good look at that later.

Roland TB-03, a remake of the iconic TB-303 Bassline Synthesizer. Shot with a single off camera flash which was quite tricky not to add reflections and/or shadows (although I left the reflections on the LCD screen as I thought it looked better)

(Edit: Looks very blurry on here, view on Flickr as per usual.)

A7R00388-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Love this!

I used to have two 303s! And a 606 and an 808. And a 101 and an SH01 and a 106!

Wish I still had them!

Yup, small, light lens... if you need something faster then FE 35mm f1.8 ain't too bad size wise either... similar to the FE 55mm f1.8 :)

Currently have the 1.8fe but I just want something smaller and lighter. I don’t use much else outside the 70-200 but occasionally it comes off!

Just looking at getting an A7III again and wondered if anyone has any decent things to say about Sigma Art lenses on the Sony as looking at getting the 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4 and 135mm f1.8 then building up from there.

Love this!

I used to have two 303s! And a 606 and an 808. And a 101 and an SH01 and a 106!

Wish I still had them!
Thanks. Can't believe you let your 303's go, I've never owned one. I'd have loved the Juno 106 too, and the 808 (I do have the virtual ones). I'm not at all jealous you had them ;)

Just looking at getting an A7III again and wondered if anyone has any decent things to say about Sigma Art lenses on the Sony as looking at getting the 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4 and 135mm f1.8 then building up from there.

Optics are great, AF for stills is great, lenses are massive (especially the telephoto ones) and video AF not so good.

35 f/1.4 is nice enough but has much slower a.f in low light than the Sony 35 f/1.8, in good light it is grand, it also hunts a bit in back lit siutuations. Image quality is very good.

Not used the 85 on Sony.

135 f/1.8 is great in good light but hunts like a mad thing in low light, in terms of image quality it's right up there with the 135 GM though.

Last edited:
How does it compare to the ones you get in Japan?

mine is better because I can put higher quality matcha in it and make it to my taste. Most store bought matcha ice cream are sweet with a hint of matcha, because matcha is expensive they don’t put much in it. I prefer the flavour to be stronger.

Many thanks for the replies f/2.8 and nandbytes.

Am trying to negotiate a deal on all my Canon gear for something a little easier to carry and trying to work out my best option for a primes only setup although i will add a 70-200 at a later date.

Back