The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

MX5, at ISO 12,800.

ULrlSRG.jpg

:D

If you see the rev counter you can deduce the engine is running.... it doesn't always do that :D

Last edited:
MX5, at ISO 12,800.

ULrlSRG.jpg

:D

If you see the rev counter you can deduce the engine in running.... it doesn't always do that :D

I had an MX5 when I was a young fella, everyone took the p***. The ladies though absolutely loved it. :love:

Actually snagged the missus when I had that wee car.

HAIRDRESSER

Have you seen my hair?

This is my third MX5.

I had a black MK1 and a red MK2. When the new ones came out I didn't like them so I looked for a MK1 but all I saw were rotty ones so I bought this used MK2 1600.

I do think that these cars are a good mix of usability and fun. The most exciting car I've had was an Elise, the best for covering miles fast was an Elan SE. I did well over 100k miles in mine before I changed to the Elise.

I had an MX5 when I was a young fella, everyone took the p***. The ladies though absolutely loved it. :love:

Actually snagged the missus when I had that wee car.

Lucky you. I've never had a GF who thought that open cars were anything other than stupid as they blew their hair or let water in etc. Mrs WW thinks that anyone even opening a window is a stupid westerner as cars should have good air con and it doesn't work with the top down or window open :D

Have you seen my hair?

This is my third MX5.

I had a black MK1 and a red MK2. When the new ones came out I didn't like them so I looked for a MK1 but all I saw were rotty ones so I bought this used MK2 1600.

I do think that these cars are a good mix of usability and fun. The most exciting car I've had was an Elise, the best for covering miles fast was an Elan SE. I did well over 100k miles in mine before I changed to the Elise.

Something like this?
Screenshot_20200402_142445.jpg

I wish. Think Wilder. Think a cross between Jeremy Clarkson, Einstein and a werewolf.

I like the poodles attitude though. Strutting is never bad.

Lucky you. I've never had a GF who thought that open cars were anything other than stupid as they blew their hair or let water in etc. Mrs WW thinks that anyone even opening a window is a stupid westerner as cars should have good air con and it doesn't work with the top down or window open :D

I had quite a lot of success with that wee car. :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately it needed a good night for it (over the bonnet) as there wasn't enough room inside for a good in car session.

I once met this girl and took her out for a drive in the MX5 and we stopped into the pub for a quick drink, while she she was at the loo my mate messaged asking where I was, and I text him back saying that I was with the "munter" from the other night.

I waited for ages and there was no sign of the girl, eventually she came out of the loo, crying her eyes out. When I asked her what was wrong she said I needed to be more careful when I sent a text that I was replying to the right person. :oops: :$

We still found a nice wee lay by on the way home. :ROFLMAO:

I've no idea what other treatment is available other than what I've read Googling. As I said, this wont happen tomorrow so if I get the chance to ask I will.

Did you not see the exercises I put in the link? The frozen water bottle/foam roller one tends to work well in combo with the stretches. But in terms of treatment it's obviously awkward at the mo, but podiatrists, chiropractors, osteopaths, physios, and acupuncture can all help (y)

A 200-400 f4 would be interesting though I‘d like to see the prI’ve and weight as it would likely be 200-600 or higher weight.I really liked the Nikon one I had. Great zoom range and f4 was a good compromise between f2.8 and f5.6.
The current Nikon 200-400mm f4 weighs a whopping 3.36kg, that's 1.2kg more than the 200-600mm. If Tamron could get it down to around 2.5kg that'd be some feat, but at that weight it wouldn't tempt me away from the Sony 100-400mm GM.

The 70-130mm f2 seems another odd one from Tamron, they seem to be deliberately coming up with 'new' focal lengths, I guess this is so that they're not in direct competition with anyone else. I must admit though I like the idea of the 70-130mm f2 (if it's not too heavy), as it would still give me the equivalent FOV of 195mm f2.8 in crop mode, but with a stop lower ISO.

Did you not see the exercises I put in the link? The frozen water bottle/foam roller one tends to work well in combo with the stretches. But in terms of treatment it's obviously awkward at the mo, but podiatrists, chiropractors, osteopaths, physios, and acupuncture can all help (y)

Sorry, I'd included that in "Googling."

I had quite a lot of success with that wee car. :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately it needed a good night for it (over the bonnet) as there wasn't enough room inside for a good in car session.

I once met this girl and took her out for a drive in the MX5 and we stopped into the pub for a quick drink, while she she was at the loo my mate messaged asking where I was, and I text him back saying that I was with the "munter" from the other night.

I waited for ages and there was no sign of the girl, eventually she came out of the loo, crying her eyes out. When I asked her what was wrong she said I needed to be more careful when I sent a text that I was replying to the right person. :oops: :$

We still found a nice wee lay by on the way home. :ROFLMAO:

Ah, a mistake I've almost always avoided.

I don't want to go into tooooo much detail but the bonnet thing was always a fantasy of mine but I never had a car with a strong enough one. Maybe my northern girls were a bit too much for them. Other than that a Lotus Elise is a bit it cramped but nothing is impossible.

I've just ordered a Sony 20mm f1.8. Anyone else got one yet or getting one soon?

I always liked the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for Canon DSLR's and I'm expecting the Sony to be easily better.

I can't remember how much the Sigma was but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost once adjusted for inflation would be competing with the much better (I'm sure) Sony.

When this comes I can't really see myself getting a lot more. Maybe a new camera will be next but at the moment I'm happy enough with the council house A7. Maybe I'll keep it until it dies.

Last edited:
There's an A9 in the for sale section.

Don't look! You'll want it.

I've just ordered a Sony 20mm f1.8. Anyone else got one yet or getting one soon?

I always liked the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for Canon DSLR's and I'm expecting the Sony to be easily better.

I can't remember how much the Sigma was but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost once adjusted for inflation would be competing with the much better (I'm sure) Sony.

When this comes I can't really see myself getting a lot more. Maybe a new camera will be next but at the moment I'm happy enough with the council house A7. Maybe I'll keep it until it dies.

Did you ever solve the focusing issue? Sorry, I may have missed it......

Another moon shot.

8 shot stacked in PS for more detail & colour

Moon - 8 shot stack by Terence Rees, on Flickr
Very nice. I tried that pixel shift feature on the R4 but it just came out a blurry mess once loaded into the Sony software. I’m guessing it’s pants at aligning photos, the whole software is clunky to say the least. Shame it can’t be done in camera.

Ive often thought about stacking images in PS but never got around to it :banghead:

I will eventually buy one.

Did you ever solve the focusing issue? Sorry, I may have missed it......

No I didn't. I just decided it didn't matter as it's only visible at about minimum focus distance and f1.x aperture when depth is next to nothing and even then I had to look closely to see it. No normal person will ever see it and at any distance the depth covers it and of course with manual focus it's not an issue.

Just in case anyone doesn't know what we're talking about I spotted that my A7 didn't focus smack in the middle of the focus point box and instead when in AF consistently focuses in the bottom third of the focus point box no matter what AF lens was fitted. I don't understand why it should do this but at the time I spotted it it was consistent.

I will eventually buy one.

I was going to wait until we can all get out or even until I get that cruise I'm dreaming of but I decided to go ahead as there's some indoor pictures I'd like to take with it so I might as well get one now.

I wouldn't unless you really really wanted that f1.4 DoF.
Would rather just free lens using a milk bottle than rely on the Samyang. :ROFLMAO:
I probably would because I like the way Sammy lenses render, but that seems unusual in this company. ;)

A qualification - if focus speed and highest resolution was most important then I'd take the Sony.
Id also take the 35 1.4, I compared it against the SZ and ART, it was better than the SZ optically and AF wasnt as good as SZ or ART but I wouldnt call it useless at all. SZ had the most CA and was the softest wide open.

Thanks chaps. Weight won out. I’ve gone for the Sony 35 f1.8
Now trying to decide between 20mm f1.8 and 24GM

That moon picture is excellent Terry. I'm very jealous :D
Thanks Alan

No need to be jealous.

£13 for the T2 adaptor and under £300 for the telescope.

Much less than most lenses for the Somy cameras if you fancy a go at it.

Just spot meter on the brightest part of the moon.

People are always amazed at moon shots but they are the easiest to take.

@woof woof I dont really see camera gear as a waste of money, I capture life as it goes on, I can cherish and pass on those moments, that to me is incredibly important.

An excellent view, one that I share. Everyday snapshots in time are important. Have to sometimes remind myself of that, particularly now, when most of the scenes before me have been shot to death. But the family growing up is something I’ll look back on in years to come.

PS. Have you moved to Canon now?

Thanks Alan

No need to be jealous.

£13 for the T2 adaptor and under £300 for the telescope.

Much less than most lenses for the Somy cameras if you fancy a go at it.

Just spot meter on the brightest part of the moon.

People are always amazed at moon shots but they are the easiest to take.

I’ll order one of those adaptors today. Got the scope out last night and set it up again - clearly I hadn’t before. Was looking at new eye pieces last night, might buy some. Assume you need a Barlow lens with T adaptor to mount or does the adaptor mentioned mount to a standard eye piece?

I’ll order one of those adaptors today. Got the scope out last night and set it up again - clearly I hadn’t before. Was looking at new eye pieces last night, might buy some. Assume you need a Barlow lens with T adaptor to mount or does the adaptor mentioned mount to a standard eye piece?

Hi Kris,

On my scope you take the eye piece out and mount the T2 adaptor in its place.

Just using the big ol' mirror in the scope. It's got what it is called a "Direct SLR camera connection".

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

An excellent view, one that I share. Everyday snapshots in time are important. Have to sometimes remind myself of that, particularly now, when most of the scenes before me have been shot to death. But the family growing up is something I’ll look back on in years to come.

PS. Have you moved to Canon now?

Yeah, using an RP with EF Sigma 35/85 ARTs.

Back