The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Been having fun whilst at home with an old zoom Slide duplicator connected to my A7Rii with a T2 mount.

Going through my old dad's slides.

It's amazing the colours you can bring back in Lightroom from slides from the 70's.

Especially Kodachrome ones.

Been having fun whilst at home with an old zoom Slide duplicator connected to my A7Rii with a T2 mount.

Going through my old dad's slides.

It's amazing the colours you can bring back in Lightroom from slides from the 70's.

Especially Kodachrome ones.
which duplicator do you have?

Anyone going to try and shoot the moon later?

I might have another go but I'd like to be in a more scenic place.

Not taken with a Sony but with a Panasonic.

VzGtZOC.jpg

I bought this lens hoping to take a moon picture or three plus some landscape pictures I'd like to take. I'd also like to take it with me on our walk to the shops or the park to hopefully get some butterfly and dragon fly pictures. I sort of regret not buying a long Sony lens but I was worried it'd be bigger and I don't like big kit.

Haven't tried the last couple of days, this is the last moon shot I took 13/10/2019

DSC08889-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

I just keep wondering what the moon is hiding round its back. I mean, all that orbiting and being oh so careful to never show us the back. It's all very suspicious.

I had a 28-300mm which I used on Canon APS-C so that gave an equivalent of 480mm on an A7. My MFT lens is a 100-400mm so it's by far the longest (in equivalence terms, for the pedants) I've had.

I've looked out a few times and the moon is nowhere in site. I blame either the Chinese or 5G, I'm not sure which.

I had a 28-300mm which I used on Canon APS-C so that gave an equivalent of 480mm on an A7. My MFT lens is a 100-400mm so it's by far the longest (in equivalence terms, for the pedants) I've had.

I've looked out a few times and the moon is nowhere in site. I blame either the Chinese or 5G, I'm not sure which.

It's pretty low in the sky at the moment.

Well I got a break in the clouds so I’ll see how they turned out tomorrow when I put them on the computer. The look ok on the LCD, but don’t they always :LOL:

It's pretty low in the sky at the moment.

Yes. I looked out again and it was here... The banding here isn't on the original. A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. Nice star effect at f4, 10 seconds.

A4xbv3Q.jpg

Same old moon picture, 50% crop... MFT again.

6xubqAn.jpg

I can't remember the last time I used a tripod. The bag's gone mouldy.

Last edited:
Having been playing with the telescope this last week, a T2 adapter arrived yesterday just in time to try the A7 on the scope. Ran into the technical snag of not being able to focus close enough. Ah well. Read up on it and now need to spend another few £s on another gadget that may or not work. The scope filled the frame nicely though. The last time I shot the moon was at 600mm, there was still a fair bit of cropping. Maybe next time...

Well the moon pics last night came out OK but I actually prefer the 97% from the other night as the extra bit of shadowing makes it look more spherical, the full moon looks more like a flat disc. So here's the 97% moon (y)

A7R02495-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I could be wrong but haven't the people on this thread that are trying to or have sold there A9's selling them because they need to free up some cash?

That was my impression anyway, I don't remember posts from anyone saying that they weren't anything other than extremely happy with performance.

Indeed, mine is purely money based. I don’t want to sell it but in the grand scheme of things I can get myself a cheaper body and lens set up and get the spare cash I need.

Plus until lock down is fully ended and equestrian events are back up and running it’s just not going to get any use. I dont think such events will be back up and running until next year IMO.

The A9II just got a new firmware update including that it now closes the shutter when you turn of the camera to reduce dust when you change lenses, which is something that I think people have been asking for a while.

With a bit of luck maybe they will run that out for other models as well, although will be interesting to see if they offer any more firmware updates for the third gen bodies and the A9.

Shows that at least they are listening.

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
  • Adds the Hi Frequency flicker function, which allows you to reduce the impact of flickering of artificial light sources (e.g. digital signage, electronic signboards, LED lights, etc.), by more finely adjusting the shutter speed
    NOTE: The Imaging Edge Remote, Imaging Edge Mobile, and Remote Camera Tool software will not be supported after April 9th, 2020
  • Improves the Face/Eye Priority in the AF function:
    • When set to a custom key, the Face/Eye Priority in the AF function can be activated or deactivated each time the custom key is pressed
    • If Face/Eye Priority is already set to custom key, this improvement will be available after the camera is updated
  • Improves the Remote Camera Tool function by adding support for displaying Focus Frame for almost all scenes
    NOTE: Version 2.00 (or later) of the Remote Camera Tool is required. Please update to the latest version.
  • Improves the FTP transfer function
  • Allows the camera’s MAC address to be displayed as a QR code
  • Adds a function to close the shutter when you turn off the camera to prevent dust or debris from adhering to the image sensor when you change lenses
  • Allows you to save or load the customized camera settings to My MENU
  • Improves the overall stability of the camera

Last edited:
Back