The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

you will get more perspective distortion from 20mm than 24mm. Wider you go more distortion but it depends on at which point it goes from being desirable to being cringing lol (though that's a bit personal)

Thanks, I've got plenty of 24mm shots from my Nikon days. Just nothing at 20mm
Could probably live with some distortion. Could claim I'm being arty..

Thanks, I've got plenty of 24mm shots from my Nikon days. Just nothing at 20mm
Could probably live with some distortion. Could claim I'm being arty..

in that case I'll let someone with 20mm/1.8 reply for you.
But I do have a bicycle, so if you would like something from me I'll sort something out later :)

in that case I'll let someone with 20mm/1.8 reply for you.
But I do have a bicycle, so if you would like something from me I'll sort something out later :)

Thanks. That’d be very helpful.

Can I ask a favour of anyone with the 20mm f1.8
@woof woof
One of my favourite subjects are motorbikes.
Would it be possible to shoot a bike, even a pushbike would do.
Wide open from something like this angle.

Appreciate it, trying to decide between the 24gm or 20mm

This is with the 35, I couldn't get back any further, would've like to have included more of the front wheel.

DSC00021.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

I'd be happy to but I don't know when I'll be able to as we're self isolating at the mo and haven't been out since this all this c19 started and I can't think of anything we've got about the house or garage that could be in any way similar to a bike. So, I'm a bit stuck.

What I can say is that with a wheel heading into the corner like that you're in danger of getting some obvious stretching effect.

Having had a 12-24mm on a 5D and living with 17 and 19mm film era lenses on my A7 I personally don't see 20mm as too extreme. Yes, it's a bit more towards the extreme than 24mm but still not too much so IMO.

With these lenses there's the option to try and keep the camera level but if the subject heads into the corners like that wheel the perspective distortion is going to be more pronounced. Personally I think part of the appeal is getting in close and creating a different look but as nandbytes says it's if you like the look or not.

I can put a car wheel towards the bottom corner if you like. That'll at least show the effect on a wheel. Just let me know if that'll help.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to but I don't know when I'll be able to as we're self isolating at the mo and haven't been out since this all this c19 started and I can't think of anything we've got about the house or garage that could be in any way similar to a bike. So, I'm a bit stuck.

What I can say is that with a wheel heading into the corner like that you're in danger of getting some obvious stretching effect.

Having had a 12-24mm on a 5D and living with 17 and 19mm film era lenses on my A7 I personally don't see 20mm as too extreme. Yes, it's a bit more towards the extreme than 24mm but still not too much so IMO.

With these lenses there's the option to try and keep the camera level but if the subject heads into the corners like that wheel the perspective distortion is going to be more pronounced. Personally I think part of the appeal is getting in close and creating a different look but as nandbytes says it's if you like the look or not.

I can put a car wheel towards the bottom corner if you like. That'll at least show the effect on a wheel. Just let me know if that'll help.

Thanks Alan. Very kind of you.

I would have never painted stones before this..

49767910583_e720e08afc_b.jpg

49768444261_60a36d6641_b.jpg

Or probably not have seen her first hand stands. Though I was a bit slow off the mark with the 55 being a bit tight, but hey ho, it was what was to hand.

49768784882_1239e0407f_b.jpg

We've had the bubbles out a fair bit.

49768789267_3133eb35f8_b.jpg

And enjoyed doing some reading etc.

49768464101_022ef1a44a_b.jpg

We are lucky to have a garden that we can use. I am now getting a little stretched with snapping the everyday without walks etc. Still, it's tough trying to use your camera at home, it's a challenging time and not everyone has a family to snap, appreciate that.
These are great. I don’t have children so I can’t really document our lockdown as the wife would get sick of me sticking a camera in her face!

A friend of mine did the rock painting with their children. they painted a rock too with words “if you are reading this rock..... go home!!”.

Some of the local kids here have been painting rocks and on the back leaving a message saying take a photo and post it to social media along with a hashtag.

Then the kids are taking them out when they are out for their daily exercise and leaving them for people to find. Have seen the photos popping up on Facebook.

These are great. I don’t have children so I can’t really document our lockdown as the wife would get sick of me sticking a camera in her face!

A friend of mine did the rock painting with their children. they painted a rock too with words “if you are reading this rock..... go home!!”.

Thanks Rob. My wife hates that too, so hardly take any of her. However, because she’s been doing these crafts things with the little one, I have caught her. Especially the colourful elephants they made out of milk bottles. Though, she did end up doing both of them herself!!
I struggle with inanimate objects, just don’t do anything for me so if were just the two of us, I wouldn’t be using my camera.

No bike here so I'm making do with a Hyundai.

These are from something between 3 and 4 feet away. The first when kneeling and the second when standing but stooping a bit. Both are f1.8 with the point of focus on the crease running through the door handle to above the wheel arch, about mid way between the door handle and the mirror, as I'm guess you'd be focusing on the nameplate on the petrol tank and that's my guess as to where it could be.

I don't think the perspective distortion is too bad but the real test will be with a real bike, not just an imagined one hiding in a hatchback :D

5U219q5.jpg

lUOZ3IZ.jpg

No bike here so I'm making do with a Hyundai.

These are from something between 3 and 4 feet away. The first when kneeling and the second when standing but stooping a bit. Both are f1.8 with the point of focus on the crease running through the door handle to above the wheel arch, about mid way between the door handle and the mirror, as I'm guess you'd be focusing on the nameplate on the petrol tank and that's my guess as to where it could be.

I don't think the perspective distortion is too bad but the real test will be with a real bike, not just an imagined one hiding in a hatchback :D

5U219q5.jpg

lUOZ3IZ.jpg

Useful though Alan. I almost always kneel for my bike pictures.

Thanks. That’d be very helpful.

Sigma @20mm - f2.8
49769381423_4ca2e902fe_b.jpg

Sigma @24mm - f2.8
49770242077_f4beca3b7a_b.jpg

24GM - f1.4
49769381038_98f32f5c0f_b.jpg

Sorry for rather crap shots but not so much of a bike/cars person tbh.

Basically while the bokeh on 20mm/1.8 seems rather good the rendering you get from 24GM at f1.4 still seems better to me. That'd really be the main reason to get 24GM or 20mm if you want the wider FoV.
Hmm... may be I should just keep my 24GM and sell that bike lol :D

Sigma @20mm - f2.8

Sigma @24mm - f2.8

24GM - f1.4

Basically while the bokeh on 20mm/1.8 seems rather good the rendering you get from 24GM at f1.4 still seems better to me. That'd really be the main reason to get 24GM or 20mm if you want the wider FoV.

I know you have your reasons for wanting the 20mm as you want all f/1.8 lenses but honestly the 24mm is the very last lens I would ever consider selling it really is excellent.

Sigma @20mm - f2.8

Sigma @24mm - f2.8

24GM - f1.4

Thanks very much. Gotta say I love that 24GM

I know you have your reasons for wanting the 20mm as you want all f/1.8 lenses but honestly the 24mm is the very last lens I would ever consider selling it really is excellent.

Its a silly reason, I guess its just GAS lol. And I am selling FE55 now anyway.

Thanks very much. Gotta say I love that 24GM

Yep the rendering is rather nice. Better grab it before I change my mind and keep it ;)

Sigma @20mm - f2.8

Sigma @24mm - f2.8

24GM - f1.4

That extra 2 stops shallow DOF makes a big difference IMO. Is there a reason the last pic has completely different exposure?

I wouldn't say we were bored but...

A7 and Voigtlander 50mm f2 at f16, 20 sec., ISO 50 and every ND filter I could find which turned out to be 6.

H5NwmM4.jpg

PS.
Did I mention the Voigtlander 50mm f2 is the best lens I've ever used :D

Last edited:
See how small the box is for these. :oops: :$

View attachment 275329
Guessing it doesn't come with a sturdy case then. This lens is off my radar for now £1349 is too high, I'll re-evaluate when it goes sub £1k. A used Sony 70-200mm f4 is looking most favourable at the mo for me.

A used Sony 70-200mm f4 is looking most favourable at the mo for me.

less sharp, larger, not as fast, can't use with TCs.
So doesn't really seem all that favourable to me. I'd rather wait till tamron drops in price than buy and sell. of course that means some waiting time :p

Guessing it doesn't come with a sturdy case then. This lens is off my radar for now £1349 is too high, I'll re-evaluate when it goes sub £1k. A used Sony 70-200mm f4 is looking most favourable at the mo for me.

Personally considering it has no stabilisation I don't get what the fuss is about it, for me its probably worth about £700-800.

The 70-200 f/4 is actually dead on, I liked mine when I had it. Only got rid because it sat in the cupboard unused after I got the 135GM.

So doesn't really seem all that favourable to me. I'd rather wait till tamron drops in price than buy and sell. of course that means some waiting time :p

You can't use a t.c with the Tamron either.

So with a max budget of £180 or so I’m looking for a small lens for a photography project involving the yard and horses and the surrounding woods.

Preference in small and light and ok in low ish light. Samyang 35mm, Sony 50mm, what else....?

Personally considering it has no stabilisation I don't get what the fuss is about it, for me its probably worth about £700-800.

The 70-200 f/4 is actually dead on, I liked mine when I had it. Only got rid because it sat in the cupboard unused after I got the 135GM.

You can't use a t.c with the Tamron either.

I didn’t think there was one for the Sony 70-200 F4 either? Or has that changed?

So with a max budget of £180 or so I’m looking for a small lens for a photography project involving the yard and horses and the surrounding woods.

Preference in small and light and ok in low ish light. Samyang 35mm, Sony 50mm, what else....?

If you can increase your budget a bit the Samyang 45mm is a fair bit better than the Samyang 35 f/2.8 or the Sony 50mm.

Think I paid just under £230 for mine when there was an eBay promo on.

At £180 there isn't any other native mount options that I can think of that would be serviceable in low light. Suppose you could maybe pick up a Sony 28mm f/2 for around £200 or so used.

I really like my Samyang 35mm f2.8 - paid £165 from LCE so well within budget

Nice and sharp with nice colours -

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RFRYA9]
[/url]

The fact you can get it £600 cheaper (if you need it now) must make it more favourable.

That sharpness is also probably relatively indistinguishable.

How does everyone know how sharp the Tamron is? I watched the video where the German guy said it’s sharper but that’s just one review? Any others?

Back