The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The R5 looks to be Canon's first serious entry to the FF Mirrorless market place. Impressive video specs, time will tell which functions they will cripple and just how well it performs. Lack of and price of native lenses would be a downside, though I guess most Canon FF Mirrorless users will already have a collection of DSLR glass.Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 00.37.43.png

The R5 looks to be Canon's first serious entry to the FF Mirrorless market place. Impressive video specs, time will tell which functions they will cripple and just how well it performs. Lack of and price of native lenses would be a downside, though I guess most Canon FF Mirrorless users will already have a collection of DSLR glass.View attachment 275973
It was native RF glass that was the reason I didn't seriously contemplate a move to Canon when I left Nikon.

In all this osx vs. windows and specs chat it seems the canon R5 video specs release has been missed(?)
https://www.dpreview.com/news/25005...k-30-4k-120-with-raw-10-bit-h-265-and-full-af

looks like 8K uses the full width of the sensor. As per my mental math that makes the sensor around 35mp.

I like to get one, not for video but just a Canon camera, but the prices of the R line up is just ridiculous for the L-glass. I would be looking at £10,000 for 1 body and 3 lenses. I think for the same money I got 2 x A73 and 5 lenses. It's about a 50% gain in cost but I don't think there will be that much in performance (in photo, i really don't care for video),

The Canon name alone will give it at least some buyers and of course you get the Canon colours and menus that make sense, not like those incomprehensibly complicated Sony ones :D Looking at that list the only lens I'd buy is the 35mm f1.8. Anyone buying into that system must be using adapted lenses.

It'll be interesting to see if this prompts Sony to anything dramatic.

The Canon name alone will give it at least some buyers and of course you get the Canon colours and menus that make sense, not like those incomprehensibly complicated Sony ones :D Looking at that list the only lens I'd buy is the 35mm f1.8. Anyone buying into that system must be using adapted lenses.

The OCD in me only can use adapted lenses for so long, personally I don't see the reason of upgrading to a new body and stay on old lenses, eventually, I want to maximise the potential of the camera and that means native lenses. They can claim same AF performance but i also want everything else like improve resolution, speed, colours, CA etc.

The OCD in me only can use adapted lenses for so long, personally I don't see the reason of upgrading to a new body and stay on old lenses, eventually, I want to maximise the potential of the camera and that means native lenses. They can claim same AF performance but i also want everything else like improve resolution, speed, colours, CA etc.

Yup but the line from the fans at the moment is that there's no loss in using adapted lenses but of course they could quietly change their minds as native lenses become available in their price range.

Agreed but just like Sony the lens range will get better - needs more third party manufactures to get involved

The video specs are indeed very nice but it doesn't interest me a whole lot at the moment. Stills spec interests me more.

Agree, shot a couple of video weddings and they are way more time consuming to edit and get right so think I’ll stick to stills from now. Seems that many new cameras these days are very heavily focused on improving video features.

I’m scared to test my Samyang... but guess I should.

Agreed but just like Sony the lens range will get better - needs more third party manufactures to get involved

I think the answer to this is "it depends." Sony have an open system to serious manufacturers whereas as far as I know Canon don't and if that's the case third parties will have to back engineer and that has to be a drawback. Plus if we believe the sales figures on the various rumor sites and blogs some of these things may not be selling in serious enough numbers to make the third parties think that the sales will justify the back engineering on top of the usual design and production hassles.

going back....again. All three 18mm 2.8s getting collected today.

Samyang must get an unbelievable amount of returns. Surely a bit of investment in QC is cheaper.

Oh dear.

Will you try again or give up and go for something else?

Even if most don't carry out any deliberate testing some problems must be obvious just looking at the lens and using it normally.

I've not noticed any issues with my 18mm f/2.8, and I won't be going looking for them.

I do try not to obsess but I do try to make sure I'm happy with kit in case I want to send it back in good time. I also try to consider what other people would think if I tried to sell it as although I'm not usually one for swapping about a lot I could want to sell at some point.

I think the only lens I've ever returned was the Sony 50mm f2.8 macro due to inconsistent focus.

Last edited:
Oh dear.

Will you try again or give up and go for something else?

Not sure yet. Will probably end up with the 17-28 again at some point.

I think you'll find most people don't bother checking.

No idea why, spend all that money on a decent camera to use a decentered lens that isn’t sharp across the frame seems silly.

One of these was literally a joke, the entire left side of the frame was very very soft.

Still waiting for my 16mm Sigma F1.4, was posted via Royal Mail last Thursday first class. Their website/Twitter says they are experiencing delays which makes sense I guess, demand is likely to be high.

My Apple watch however, which was Dispatched on Friday 17th from China has passed through Shanghai, Incheon in Korea, Anchorage in the US and is currently in Koeln Germany with an expected delivery date of tomorrow here in the UK.
Not bad.....

Not sure yet. Will probably end up with the 17-28 again at some poi

That does tempt me. I'm not a huge zoom fan but I do keep thinking how useful a wide zoom and a long one would be. A 17-35mm would be just about perfect for many days out but a 17-28mm would do at a pinch :D

Still waiting for my 16mm Sigma F1.4, was posted via Royal Mail last Thursday first class. Their website/Twitter says they are experiencing delays which makes sense I guess, demand is likely to be high.

My Apple watch however, which was Dispatched on Friday 17th from China has passed through Shanghai, Incheon in Korea, Anchorage in the US and is currently in Koeln Germany with an expected delivery date of tomorrow here in the UK.
Not bad.....

I haven't bought anything exciting since the 20mm f1.8 and that was soooooo long ago now :D I've been buying DVD's and also a nice new King James bible. It's surprising that some bibles are in short supply or even sold out at multiple suppliers, maybe c19 has had people thinking about their spiritual futures :D

I've been looking at cordless hair trimmers, anyone else looking like they need a hair cut?

Been looking at this one mainly because it has a 22-24mm comb head and most seem to stop at 11/12mm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078Q2KQNR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1YR1KUKV2DGWH&psc=1

Last edited:
Even if most don't carry out any deliberate testing some problems must be obvious just looking at the lens and using it normally.

I’m just going to update firmware and just take some shots and see if I am happy. That website even says it’s rare to get a perfect lens!

Which website? Samyang?

Ah, just spotted a link to Philip Reeve. A lens may not be perfect, good enough will do nicely and dof could cover some issues.

Last edited:
Back