The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Most our local takeaways opened back up a couple of weeks ago. It’s only the chain type places that are still closed.

The weird thing is I would be almost willing to sacrifice my eldest to the dark lord for a Big Mac and I don’t even like McDonalds.

This is really just for the odd moon picture, dabbling with birds and squirrels and the odd alternative perspective landscape or people picture. It'll hardly get used. My most used lenses are probably always going to be 35/50mm primes.

Do you own an MC-11? If so and for that usage I would recommend the Sigma 150-600C, my only complaint with mine is fast tracking of objects, sounds like it would be fine for what you want and lot less money.

Am I the first with a moon shot from last night? Through my little telescope before I sell it tomorrow (got a better one now )

49865614681_99272d3045_b.jpg

Do you own an MC-11? If so and for that usage I would recommend the Sigma 150-600C, my only complaint with mine is fast tracking of objects, sounds like it would be fine for what you want and lot less money.

It's something I could look at.

Have any of you tried out the Zeus Batis 40mm f2?

would you take this lens over the Zeiss 55mm f1.8?

I havent tried either but both are very well thought of. (I'd take the Batis)

Isn't the Batis 40mm the one that had focus issues? If I was interested in that lens the first thing I'd do is ask that question and/or do some research.

The Sony 55mm f1.8 is imo an excellent lens and sharp into the corners from wide open. When I first tried this lens the performance across the frame just shocked me, in a good way :D Some will nit pick the ca, bokeh and vignetting but as a package and at the price I think it's excellent. If you'll look at mf lenses the Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo is outstanding.

Not a fan of batis lenses in general.
I'd take the 55mm but it really comes down to your focal length preference tbh

The Sigma is much cheaper than the Sony even when adding the adapter. I suppose it's still a good lens?

Actually, I've just remembered that I'm sure I read somewhere that the A7 was pants with this adapter so that's something I'll have to read up on. Has anyone any experience of 1st generation bodies and adapted lenses?

The Sigma is much cheaper than the Sony even when adding the adapter. I suppose it's still a good lens?

Actually, I've just remembered that I'm sure I read somewhere that the A7 was pants with this adapter so that's something I'll have to read up on. Has anyone any experience of 1st generation bodies and adapted lenses?

If you want af don't bother unless thinking to upgrade the body

Oh bugger, yeah I forgot you were using the original A7

Just to say....

I've owned a stupid amount of cameras in my time - I would probably say Fuji has been my favourite brand and the XE2 and XT-3 have been my fave cameras.

But the quality and detail coming from the A7R3 and the Tamron 28-75 is absolutely blowing me away.

Just been taking some flower shots in the garden and the amount you can crop is incredible ! The 28-75 will focus so close and the colours are wonderful.

Surely this has got to be a cure for GAS ?!

I badly wanted the 40mm not exactly sure why, I ended up borrowing one from a mate for a little while. They all had front focusing issues and issues using eye-a.f, they did issue a firmware update which improved it a bit, the one I loaned had the newest firmware but still front focused quite badly depending on the distance from the subject and apparently that is par for the course with this particular lens.

I would definitely be choosing the 55mm over it for that reason alone if it is a choice between the 2.

Just to say....

I've owned a stupid amount of cameras in my time - I would probably say Fuji has been my favourite brand and the XE2 and XT-3 have been my fave cameras.

But the quality and detail coming from the A7R3 and the Tamron 28-75 is absolutely blowing me away.

Just been taking some flower shots in the garden and the amount you can crop is incredible ! The 28-75 will focus so close and the colours are wonderful.

Surely this has got to be a cure for GAS ?!

I've often told myself that a standard range zoom, and if it's f2.8 even more so, and a fast prime would keep me happy 99.9% of the time. Whenever I try a zoom though I end up wanting to take it off and if a 35 or 50mm.

I badly wanted the 40mm not exactly sure why, I ended up borrowing one from a mate for a little while. They all had front focusing issues and issues using eye-a.f, they did issue a firmware update which improved it a bit, the one I loaned had the newest firmware but still front focused quite badly depending on the distance from the subject and apparently that is par for the course with this particular lens.

I would definitely be choosing the 55mm over it for that reason alone if it is a choice between the 2.

It's surprising that Zeiss could cock this up so badly and fail to fix it. They must have all the info they need from Sony to get this right.

I wonder what's gone wrong.

I've often told myself that a standard range zoom, and if it's f2.8 even more so, and a fast prime would keep me happy 99.9% of the time. Whenever I try a zoom though I end up wanting to take it off and if a 35 or 50mm.

I'm really happy with my current set up - 28-75 for generally walking around Towns/Cities and the Samyang 18mm for Landscapes when walking - oh and the Samyang 35mm when I want to go small and can't be bothered to carry the 28-75.

My usual set up is the A7 with either a 35 or 50mm lens and I several to choose from :D I am going to try to use the kit zoom more and I could always change it for a f2.8 if I can get used to zooms.

It's surprising that Zeiss could cock this up so badly and fail to fix it. They must have all the info they need from Sony to get this right.

I wonder what's gone wrong.

They made a complete mess of that lens. Pity I liked the 40mm focal length, it was what swayed me towards picking up the little 45mm Samyang.

They seem to have abandoned any plans to fix it now which is a pity.

They made a complete mess of that lens. Pity I liked the 40mm focal length, it was what swayed me towards picking up the little 45mm Samyang.

Considered the 40mm sigma art? Have read its the sharpest of the art line, but don't actually know anyone who have tried it.

I'm really happy with my current set up - 28-75 for generally walking around Towns/Cities and the Samyang 18mm for Landscapes when walking - oh and the Samyang 35mm when I want to go small and can't be bothered to carry the 28-75.

Just shows how different we all are. I struggle to shoot landscapes as wide as 21mm let alone 18mm :p

What are your thoughts on the 45mm Samyang?

would you say it is just as good as the sony equivalents?

What are your thoughts on the 45mm Samyang?

would you say it is just as good as the sony equivalents?

It has nice rendering but iffy and noisy a.f.

It's better than the Sony 50 f/1.8

It is no where near as good as the 55 f/1.8, 35 f/1.8

If you decided to buy one you will likely need to buy many copies to find one that is not decentrered.

I just bought this 3rd party charger on a whim - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M8CZNHS/
Its rather slick and charges from USB which is really handy. Can do away with one of the plugs and charges both my spares together.

To my mind a charger is a charger. No idea why the original is so expensive. The one that comes with the rav power batteries feels as solid as any IMO.

Nice, how do you find that combo?

Well when I bought it there was no native option, and I probably would've pushed myself to get the 200-600mm had it been released. I would say it's one of my most used lenses and I've really got into birding since getting it. For perched birds and slower moving it is really good, AF-C works well, it's limited to medium burst speed while tracking and the focus areas are limited compared to native. Birds in flight can be a little frustrating, and it's quite slow to rack from near to far and vice-versa. The focus limiter does help. Image quality I think is better than I hoped for that price.

Last edited:
Back