The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hi, Thankyou. Have done a little more research and one thing that seems maybe to be a problem with the A9 is small static subjects, of course I cannot say there is or not but if there is a problem in that vein is it such a big problem? Thankyou, Russ.

I have 2 x A9’s and an A9II have never had that issue.

Over the lockdown I shot a lot of macro stuff although that was mostly manual focus I did a.f some stuff including very small subjects and didn’t have any issues.

I've just managed to track down a Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 today, is anyone else here using one? Should be here by the weekend. I'm not typically a zoom user but it was getting a bit excessive hiring an expensive Sony FE lens a few times per year for motorsport events.

I've just managed to track down a Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 today, is anyone else here using one? Should be here by the weekend. I'm not typically a zoom user but it was getting a bit excessive hiring an expensive Sony FE lens a few times per year for motorsport events.
Where did you get it from?
Haven't got one yet, just waiting for the initial release price drop out offers.

I have 2 x A9’s and an A9II have never had that issue.

Over the lockdown I shot a lot of macro stuff although that was mostly manual focus I did a.f some stuff including very small subjects and didn’t have any issues.
Hi, Thankyou for your reply. As I pointed out in an ealier posting I am intending to come over from Canon to Sony so I have been doing a lot of searching for information and in one example it was mentioned that focusing with the A9 and 200-600 was a little problamatic when small birds where among branches etc ( Yes I no this happens with most camera/lens combos in this situation) cannot remember if it was in the same website but I also came across someone saying that small stanionary birds where also sometimes hard to focus on but I am just searching for information. Thankyou again. Russ.

Hi, Thankyou for your reply. As I pointed out in an ealier posting I am intending to come over from Canon to Sony so I have been doing a lot of searching for information and in one example it was mentioned that focusing with the A9 and 200-600 was a little problamatic when small birds where among branches etc ( Yes I no this happens with most camera/lens combos in this situation) cannot remember if it was in the same website but I also came across someone saying that small stanionary birds where also sometimes hard to focus on but I am just searching for information. Thankyou again. Russ.

Cant say I had an issue with smaller subjects, perhaps they had their spot AF point box set to large instead of small. I had read the same so I checked mine when I got it.

Last edited:

That's bunch of BS or user error.
Here's a squirrel stuck in a really over grown fig tree
DSC06572.jpg

DSC06572-2.jpg
DSC06574.jpg
DSC06574-2.jpg

And a birdie
DSC06638-2.jpg

If A7RIV can manage it so can A9/ii (these are fair bit sharper on my monitor, so make some allowances for forum killing the sharpness but focusing is spot on so you get the point)

Have only used my 200-600 with my A9. The only birds in our garden are small house sparrows and starlings. I haven’t had any issues with those at all. Have been very impressed.

I am tempted by a long lens but they're bigger than the MFT alternatives and I'll probably be much less likely to take them out.

Cool, will be interested to hear your thoughts and see some samples when you get it (y)
Interesting. I can't say I've noticed an issue with the A7RIV with this so I'd be surprised if the A9 had an issue (I know they're obviously different cameras though). I can't sometimes help think that sometimes a camera doesn't give the desired results and instead of trying to get to the bottom of it by trying different settings etc they just blame the camera and say that it 'doesn't work'. For me this is especially true when people switch systems, for example you can't expect to swap from Canon and expect the Sony to behave in the same way you're used to and vice versa. If I don't get a shot my first thought it "user error" rather than "my camera's no good at getting shots like this".

I'm in no way suggesting you do that btw ;)

I haven't used my 200-600 that much but I took it with me on a walk the other morning on my A7RIV and caught this little fella through leaves/branches etc so it's the only example I have of that. Can't say I've had any issues with it although I would prefer a prime :)

200600.jpg

I haven't used my 200-600 that much but I took it with me on a walk the other morning on my A7RIV and caught this little fella through leaves/branches etc so it's the only example I have of that. Can't say I've had any issues with it although I would prefer a prime :)

View attachment 281525

That is lovely Jase. I can never get close to them and have to use heavy cropping.

I think I've been told a few times that my creaking old A7 doesn't have the focus tech to cope with adapters. Having said that if it works at all it'd probably be ok for what I'd use it for but who knows? Even I might push the combo beyond what it's capable of on my A7.

Last edited:
I think I've been told a few times that my creaking old A7 doesn't have the focus tech to cope with adapters. Having said that if it works at all it'd probably be ok for what I'd use it for but who knows? Even I might push the combo beyond what it's capable of on my A7.

the thing with mc-11 is it might still give usable single point focus with supported sigma lenses like the 100-400C. The reason being it emulates a "native lens" with supported lenses so your body sees it as a native lens rather than an adapted lens.
Here's an example of mc-11 with A7 with a supported sigma ART lens:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ph1_Ejn4xk

It's hard to come across too much material.
I have a mc-11 in sales too ;)

Last edited:
the thing with mc-11 is it might still give usable single point focus with supported sigma lenses like the 100-400C. The reason being it emulates a "native lens" with supported lenses so your body sees it as a native lens rather than an adapted lens.
Here's an example of mc-11 with A7 with a supported sigma ART lens:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ph1_Ejn4xk

It's hard to come across too much material.
I have a mc-11 in sales too ;)
That seems to work ok. :)
Thanks for posting the video.

It's a bit difficult to follow as he seems to be deliberately press buttons as fast as he can and possibly fooling himself in the process but it looks like dmf is a bit slower. I tend to use dmf.

Also he's focusing at similar differences. I'd have liked to see different distance performance covered.

That seems to work ok. :)
Thanks for posting the video.
I think the performance in general in better with the wider angles and faster lenses than slow telephoto lens. So you need allow for that, I don't think you'll be able to get any decent tracking performance but if you are after just single centre spot focus it might just work.

The rumour site says there will be 2 new Sony cameras launched this month. The new version of the A7S and something completely new. They are suggesting an entry level full frame, an RX type camera or an A9R.

Not sure any of those would interest me, well I would probably take a hard look at an A9R.

Last edited:
The rumour site says there will be 2 new Sony cameras launched this month. The new version of the A7S and something completely new. They are suggesting an entry level full frame or an RX type camera.

Not sure any of those would interest me.

A smaller FF with no IBIS, size/weight of A6000 or A7 would be of interest to me.
Or a baby A9 called A6 would be amazing! lol

The rumour site says there will be 2 new Sony cameras launched this month. The new version of the A7S and something completely new. They are suggesting an entry level full frame, an RX type camera or an A9R.

Not sure any of those would interest me, well I would probably take a hard look at an A9R.

The only one which could tempt me would be an RX1x but to be honest the price will almost certainly stop me. I'm sure if it comes it'll be a nice camera but even if it's a lot more compact and pocketable than my A7 that convenience will come at quite a price.

A smaller FF with no IBIS, size/weight of A6000 or A7 would be of interest to me.
Or a baby A9 called A6 would be amazing! lol

I remember a while back some people were clamoring for an RF style interchangeable lens FF camera but I haven't seen that so much on forums recently. Maybe people gave up.

I remember a while back some people were clamoring for an RF style interchangeable lens FF camera but I haven't seen that so much on forums recently. Maybe people gave up.
I actually prefer the standard centered viewfinder camera but I don't mind the RF style. For me it's me the size than RF style. Having said that majority of my lenses now would be big for A6xxx size body.

Think this has been confused with the A7Riv? Small birds and BIF is where mine really struggled. I tried getting a tree creeper, out of 50 shots I had 3 in focus. Anything the size of a robin or smaller you have to manual focus unless you're really close. The A9 has been the right choice for me, the AF over the R4 is very good.

Depends what you call large? A lot of my prints are only A3 but I do occasionally print 75cm prints.
To achieve 300dpi at A3 you only need 17MP. Large to me would be 80x60 or more but does anyone actually print at this resolution often? how many on here actually print?

Think this has been confused with the A7Riv? Small birds and BIF is where mine really struggled. I tried getting a tree creeper, out of 50 shots I had 3 in focus. Anything the size of a robin or smaller you have to manual focus unless you're really close. The A9 has been the right choice for me, the AF over the R4 is very good.

The A9 & A9ii is in another league for AF compared to the A7III, RIII and RIV.

To achieve 300dpi at A3 you only need 17MP. Large to me would be 80x60 or more but does anyone actually print at this resolution often? how many on here actually print?
And therein lies my point. The 100-400mm cropped to an 800mm FOV gives you 6mp, If you print A3 with 6mp you'd have to print at around 175dpi, which of course could very well be ample for most situations, although some will start to see a difference. However, start going up to the 75cm prints I've done and the resolution difference starts to get noticeable. Even viewed on a 4k TV there will be a difference in resolution.

Of course how much of this matters will depend on the user (y)

@woof woof I had a good look around and could not see any free edition download just the free trial for 30 days of Nik Collection 3. and on the support pages it has faq`s etc but no downloads.

Back