The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
My Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 arrived today, only had a quick lunchtime walk with my son to test but tried to shoot in the worst place possible for bokeh (messy trees etc)

Both at 180mm, f2.8. As always bringing over from Flickr has killed the sharpness of these, but certainly no issues whatsoever in that respect.

DSC01132 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

DSC01124 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

AF is superb and silent, build quality feels about as good as it can get for 'plastic' and it extends so little at the long end that it's barely noticeable, certainly no difference to weight shift etc. So, pretty much the same as the 28-75mm 2.8. I think it's a keeper.

Last edited:
@woof woof I had a good look around and could not see any free edition download just the free trial for 30 days of Nik Collection 3. and on the support pages it has faq`s etc but no downloads.
Hi, Found this but cannot say if it will work as I already have the free version from some time ago (Actually paid for it when it was NIK)
Installer for Windows [430 MB]" http://dl.google.com/edgedl/photos/nikcollection-full-1.2.11.exe
Installer for Mac [590 MB]: http://dl.google.com/edgedl/photos/nikcollection-full-1.2.11.dmg

Russ

My Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 arrived today, only had a quick lunchtime walk with my son to test but tried to shoot in the worst place possible for bokeh (messy trees etc)

AF is superb and silent, build quality feels about as good as it can get for 'plastic' and it extends so little at the long end that it's barely noticeable, certainly no difference to weight shift etc. So, pretty much the same as the 28-75mm 2.8. I think it's a keeper.

Good Stuff!

:D

Both at 180mm, f2.8. As always bringing over from Flickr has killed the sharpness of these, but certainly no issues whatsoever in that respect.

DSC01132 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

DSC01124 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Getting great reviews that lens although have seen a few people complaining about performance at the long end especially with subjects that are smaller in the frame.

Getting great reviews that lens although have seen a few people complaining about performance at the long end especially with subjects that are smaller in the frame.

I'll have a play around this weekend to see if I can push it a bit harder. I'd like some motorsport to practice, but that isn't happening any time soon!

MSV's trackdays are going to restart in June, although not competitive you should be able to practice.

I'm nowhere near an MSV track. Castle Combe and Thruxton are just down the road though, will be interesting to see if they are open as they typically would be for track days though.

A few have said that it's drivers and 1 person only. No spectators, family and so on :(

Yep, the days of walking/driving onto some private land for what is essentially a closed event to take some photos are probably well behind us, understandably!

Hmmm.

Another thread had me looking at my film era lenses. I like them because they're nice to use but I don't really like the extra bulk of the adapter. I do have modern manual lenses and they don't need an adapter, so I like that, but I still like the old film era ones too because they're cheap and I like that :D

I'll have a play around this weekend to see if I can push it a bit harder. I'd like some motorsport to practice, but that isn't happening any time soon!
That's one of the primary reasons I want a 70-200mm type lens. Your sample shots look good. The shot you haven't posted on here shows a teeny hint of swirly bokeh (to my eyes) but nothing unpleasant.

What performance are we talking, AF or IQ?

Everywhere!

LHiNWjj.jpg

RIzYF1D.jpg

MkiduRt.jpg

dCKR62R.jpg

Cheaply done with a Canon FD 50mm f1.4.

:D

Samyang must be running some sort of promotion, lots of price drops across multiple vendors.

For example

18 f/2.8 reduced to £259 again
35 f/2.8 reduced to £199 again
24 f/2.8 reduced to £199 again
45 f/1.8 reduced to £259 again

The 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 have also been reduced in quite a few places

The 45mm is good value for money, if you can find one that isn't decentered.

Last edited:
There's some tempting lenses and prices there. If only there wasn't so much of a cross your fingers and hope ora around them.

There's some tempting lenses and prices there. If only there wasn't so much of a cross your fingers and hope ora around them.

Yeah obviously only buy from a supplier that has a good returns policy. :ROFLMAO:

I have been using the 45mm a lot recently and am happy enough with it, it just a pity the minimum focus distance is so long or I could make more use of it.

Yeah obviously only buy from a supplier that has a good returns policy. :ROFLMAO:

I have been using the 45mm a lot recently and am happy enough with it, it just a pity the minimum focus distance is so long or I could make more use of it.

I guess that's how they keep the size down. Following Leica's ideas there - long minimum focus, 75mm ;)

I guess that's how they keep the size down. Following Leica's ideas there - long minimum focus, 75mm ;)

More than likely.

Another lens I have been using a lot recently is the Tamron 17-28 it's minimum focus distance is only 19cm which is nice and handy.

More than likely.

Another lens I have been using a lot recently is the Tamron 17-28 it's minimum focus distance is only 19cm which is nice and handy.

I do like UWAs with close focus distance. Allows for some dramatic compositions.

If anyone would like to drop into the Out of focus section there's a guy there looked after his wife at home and she passed last night. I wouldn't normally mention out of focus stuff here but maybe the guy needs as much love and support beamed at him as possible this morning. Anyway, if peeps get the time maybe they could call into the thread and type a line.

The Canon FD 50mm f1.4 is not a long lens or a close focusing lens but backing off a bit for perspective and cropping got it good enough for me.

YDPcYbM.jpg

It looks a bit sharper on my screen.

Last edited:
I was going to say I wish I had a local Wex, well, a local any camera shop but I'd spend more money if there was one.

Just some more FD 50mm f1.4 pictures.

It had been raining and in fact was still spitting a bit and the sun came out so I took these. I often put a slideshow on to see as I'm in and out so these will be it for today plus we may send some to Mrs WW family as they like to see the progress. The middle one is a crop.

XkqQrQk.jpg

muHgQYT.jpg

The lawn has suffered a bit in the sun since I cut it.

oOSplvD.jpg

I have the FD 50mm f1.8 and actually I'd meant to use that but picked up the f1.4 and thought I might as well use it. The f1.8 is smaller and lighter and even cheaper :D

If it wasn't for needing to be quicker when I'm with other people these old lenses would probably suit me just fine :D

Did I mention they're cheap? :D

Last edited:
What's the opposite of interested? I feel the same about tilt-shift (even when using a tilt-shift lens) for that effect as some do about replacing skies.

I think the bigger issue is the 1 click approach to destroying photography. What these developers don't appreciate is the learning curve and the enjoyment that comes with photography, kind of like selling their skills short as coders and saying, well I could programme your app in ms word.

I think the bigger issue is the 1 click approach to destroying photography. What these developers don't appreciate is the learning curve and the enjoyment that comes with photography, kind of like selling their skills short as coders and saying, well I could programme your app in ms word.
I think it’s just something we’ll have to get used to, software will no doubt become the predominant ‘factor’ in photography and the easier that’s done ‘the better’.

It’s a bit like how I feel about DJing, it took me months to figure out how to do it and then years of perfecting it. Now people can beat match in less than 5 mins :rolleyes:

Samyang must be running some sort of promotion, lots of price drops across multiple vendors.

For example

18 f/2.8 reduced to £259 again
35 f/2.8 reduced to £199 again
24 f/2.8 reduced to £199 again
45 f/1.8 reduced to £259 again

The 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 have also been reduced in quite a few places

The 45mm is good value for money, if you can find one that isn't decentered.

The 35 2.8 is down to £144 on amazon now [emoji15]

Is it worth while buying at that price?

Need a handheld stabilising gimbal. Any thoughts on best bang for buck in the £200~£300 range. Been reading reviews etc, but not something I've used before so a bit unsure about what I need. Will be used mainly for event work, short action promo vids and interviews on the move. Any thoughts welcome.

The 35 2.8 is down to £144 on amazon now [emoji15]

Is it worth while buying at that price?

Personally it wouldn't be for me but for that sort of money if you don't already have a 35mm seems a bargain. Amazon has great return service as well if it arrives with any of the usual decentering issues.

very tempting indeed and I can have it delivered by 10PM tonight!

I have a 16-35GM now, but the size is nice lol

Last edited:
Back