The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think it’s just something we’ll have to get used to, software will no doubt become the predominant ‘factor’ in photography and the easier that’s done ‘the better’.

It’s a bit like how I feel about DJing, it took me months to figure out how to do it and then years of perfecting it. Now people can beat match in less than 5 mins :rolleyes:

Yup. Phones are showing us the way but I think (I hope) there'll always be the option of sticking it in aperture priority or manual. Preferably with an old Rokkor or something on the front :D

The 35 2.8 is down to £144 on amazon now [emoji15]

Is it worth while buying at that price?

I have the Sony 35mm f2.8, the Samyang wasn't out when I was buying. The great thing about these two lenses for me is that they're very compact and make for a really compact camera and lens package. They only lack two things, the wider aperture f1.4 and f1.8's offer and close focus ability. For general non close up stuff that doesn't need a bigger than f2.8 aperture they're fantastic, IMO.

It could be a nice day out and holiday lens especially if paired with a fast prime.

Amazon have had some gret offers over the last few days they had the Fuji X100V for £799 the other day.

40FD97A0-CA08-49F7-AF25-DF93843D892E.jpeg

Last edited:
Personally it wouldn't be for me but for that sort of money if you don't already have a 35mm seems a bargain. Amazon has great return service as well if it arrives with any of the usual decentering issues.

Not heard of this issue before :)

This is a Sony thread, I bought one for my daughter for her birthday it's arriving today.

Wonder how much @Riz_Guru paid for his. :oops: :$

and we discuss everything but Sony most of the time :p
Would have got one myself if I knew :(

I thought Riz had the older X100F mode.

What is that app you are using?

and we discuss everything but Sony most of the time :p
Would have got one myself if I knew :(

I thought Riz had the older X100F mode.

What is that app you are using?

Maybe I could have swore @Riz_Guru said he had got the x100V on the launch day.

The app is hotukdeals its handy you can set it to send you alerts, for whatever products you are interested in.

Those prices are very tempting. Do you have any user experience of either the 45 or 50mm lenses?

Yes, currently have the 45mm which has nice rendering (in my opinion, almost like an older lens), a.f is probably the best of the bunch, although it is best with the latest firmware. Like with all the Samyang lenses they can have issues with decentering so you might need to buy a couple of copies to get a good one, my first one was quite bad with a few issues. I like the 45mm it has 45cm minimal focus distance though if you can live with that its pretty decent especially for the price, it is a much better lens than the Sony 50mm f/1.8.

The 50 f/1.4 is a bit of a dog, it is one their older a.f lenses and it shows the a.f is very hit or miss, even eye a.f doesn't work well.

Do you have the 14mm? What's your thoughts...?

I haven't had that one, someone I know got one for astro and said that he didn't think it was as sharp as the manual focus version but I don't have any first hand experience of using it. At the price it is at I am tempted by that one myself.

Last edited:
Yes, currently have the 45mm which has nice rendering (in my opinion, almost like an older lens), a.f is probably the best of the bunch, although it is best with the latest firmware. Like with all the Samyang lenses they can have issues with decentering so you might need to buy a couple of copies to get a good one, my first one was quite bad with a few issues. I like the 45mm it has 45cm minimal focus distance though if you can live with that its pretty decent especially for the price, it is a much better lens than the Sony 50mm f/1.8.

The 50 f/1.4 is a bit of a dog, it is one their older a.f lenses and it shows the a.f is very hit or miss, even eye a.f doesn't work well.

I haven't had that one, someone I know got one for astro and said that he didn't think it was as sharp as the manual focus version but I don't have any first hand experience of using it. At the price it is at I am tempted by that one myself.

Thanks for that - on that basis the 45mm seems the one to go for. Any advice on checking for decentering? Apologies for being a bit of a af/digital novice these days

45mm Samyang now bought - cheaper than E-Infinity so thanks (I think :sneaky: ) for the link to Clifton Cameras

45mm Samyang now bought - cheaper than E-Infinity so thanks (I think :sneaky: ) for the link to Clifton Cameras

When it arrives with you check the firmware version. The newest firmware improves a.f, by this stage of the game it will likely come pre-installed if not you may need to download the firmware from Samyangs website and get the hold of a dock to update it.

The 35 2.8 is down to £144 on amazon now [emoji15]

Is it worth while buying at that price?
That's an amazing bargain - grab it and run. The lens is good stopped down a little, and really tiny.

Someone was asking about the 50 and 45. The AF on the 45 is faster but the 50 produces much nicer pictures (and the AF is still a lot better than the Sony 50 1.8). I have a 45 but was never impressed, but would like another 50 despite the size and weight.

I quite like my 18mm but haven't used it a whole lot and for me its just for fun I don't get payed to shoot so doesn't need to be outstanding.
having sold of all my "pro" Nikon kit and replaced it will a lot cheaper stuff ive noticed withimage quality and sharpness there is very little to no difference, especially for what you would expect with the price difference. I thin my cheaper kit is actually sharper.

don't really need the 35 as I have it covered with the Tamron, but like the size.

really need to buy an external ssd as my laptop is full already :(

anyone able to advised on whats best.must have usb -c
the Samsung t5 seems to get a lot of favourable reviews and not to expensive at £85 for the 500gb
the lacie again gets good reviews, maybe not as good as the Samsung bit is only £110 for a 2tb

someone advised me to just buy a caddy and pc ssd as ether cheaper and faster. is that actually advisable?

someone advised me to just buy a caddy and pc ssd as ether cheaper and faster. is that actually advisable?

Might be cheaper, unlikely to be faster unless you are able to find a usb c caddy.

I have always found enclosures to be a little finniky to use, they sometimes drop connection etc but I haven't used any in a good while so they might be better now.

The 14mm isn't very good. The best prime in that range is the laowa 15mm f2 but it costs a lot more too.

Thanks both. Yes, was looking at sample images and some reviews and actually quite shocked at how some of the images presented here are. The distortion is untrue in some of them, and most aren't sharp at all:

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samyang_af_14mm_f2_8_fe_review/sample_images

I have a Sony A7 which I am looking to use some of my Nikon AF-S lens on and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a Nikon to Sony adapter?

AFAIK you can only use the lenses manually (manual AF & manual aperture).

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HC1N77C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it's worked fine for lenses with and without an aperture ring. In the case of a G lens you will need to use the click ring to set aperture manually.

This would also work fine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Adap...WVNLVC1/ref=pd_sbs_421_2/258-2700579-6965108?

Early morning sunrise walk today & found some poppies!! :D

Camera is still in the bag though as needed a nap & then had to start on the fire damaged garden!!

Amazon have had some gret offers over the last few days they had the Fuji X100V for £799 the other day.

View attachment 281856
Wish I’d seen that :eek:
Those prices are very tempting. Do you have any user experience of either the 45 or 50mm lenses?
I have the 45mm. Doesn’t feel the best quality but I have no complaints with image quality and AF (y)

Back