The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Wish I’d seen that :eek:
I have the 45mm. Doesn’t feel the best quality but I have no complaints with image quality and AF (y)

Cheers, @ £259 it’s almost disposable in this day and age. It’s a sort of old fashioned thing to want a 50mm or so prime and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious fairly cheap choice to go with the A7 series so hopefully this one will fit the bill.

Wish I’d seen that

It arrived earlier on, I wouldn’t worry I had a quick play with it before packing it away for my daughters birthday. As with the previous models the lens is still garbage so much for them making improvements to it.

Cheers, @ £259 it’s almost disposable in this day and age. It’s a sort of old fashioned thing to want a 50mm or so prime and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious fairly cheap choice to go with the A7 series so hopefully this one will fit the bill.

Yes there is FE 50mm F1.8

I hope you'll be very happy with it. A teeny tiny lens like that makes a lovely compact and capable camera and lens package.

I hope you'll be very happy with it. A teeny tiny lens like that makes a lovely compact and capable camera and lens package.

‘Hopefully it will be decent but at £144 cant really complain. When I take my husky out walking I usually take an old Sony Nex 5 due to it fitting in my pocket. I’d been using it withthe 16mm 2.8 pancake and it’s a little wide, especially with an impatient Husky, so this should be quite a bit better.

I assume the only way to check the firmware is with the lens station?

‘Hopefully it will be decent but at £144 cant really complain. When I take my husky out walking I usually take an old Sony Nex 5 due to it fitting in my pocket. I’d been using it withthe 16mm 2.8 pancake and it’s a little wide, especially with an impatient Husky, so this should be quite a bit better.

I assume the only way to check the firmware is with the lens station?

The body will tell you the firmware version. But you'll need the lens station to update it.

First time out since March.

My God I need a day out and a holiday would be a dream. We've had an absolute nightmare today, came out of nowhere too.

A candid made possible by face detect and back screen shooting.

hZ2hHmR.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
Doesn’t seem to get a lot of “love” from some people. Mainly A/F issues I seem to recall.
It's fine as long as you don't try to track a cheetah running at you :p
Apart from one member or may be two most other folks in this thread find it perfectly accurate and usable. It's actually a good lens IQ wise for the price. Best nifty fifty as far as IQ goes.

Just great. The last, #5? With the departing shadow is my fave.
(Please number them)

Thanks, I have numbered them, I always forget and people have mentioned it to me too (y)

Last edited:
Doesn’t seem to get a lot of “love” from some people. Mainly A/F issues I seem to recall.

Experiences differ, but the copy I had gave significant AF problems - much worse than the Samyang 50 f1.4 that everyone bashes - and even at £135 from Amazon it wasn't worth keeping.

Experiences differ, but the copy I had gave significant AF problems - much worse than the Samyang 50 f1.4 that everyone bashes - and even at £135 from Amazon it wasn't worth keeping.

Yep, these were the kind of reports I had in the back of my mind when dismissing it. All you can go on is this kind of feedback (both positive and negative), watch a few reviews then make up your mind and put your money down.

Yep, these were the kind of reports I had in the back of my mind when dismissing it. All you can go on is this kind of feedback (both positive and negative), watch a few reviews then make up your mind and put your money down.

comes down to money in the end I guess. Paid £95 for my current copy of FE50/1.8. Its actually sharper than my previous copy too!
The cheapest I have come across for Samyang 45mm f1.8 is £200 which is still a good price for a lens that's sharper and possibly focusses slightly better.

50mm is not my favourite focal length but I can get used to it. I quite like 35-40mm too. 45mm for me is neither here nor there.

comes down to money in the end I guess. Paid £95 for my current copy of FE50/1.8. Its actually sharper than my previous copy too!
The cheapest I have come across for Samyang 45mm f1.8 is £200 which is still a good price for a lens that's sharper and possibly focusses slightly better.

50mm is not my favourite focal length but I can get used to it. I quite like 35-40mm too. 45mm for me is neither here nor there.

Indeed it does. It will be interesting to see how much the 5mm difference makes between the 50 and 45 from the view of me wanting the 50mm because I grew up with one virtually attached all the time to my old film camera. I could have a played around with the kit zoom to see but the purchase yesterday was a bit of a spontaneous thing which I sometimes need to do to stop me getting ”purchase inertia” from trying to weigh up too many options and variables. At the price paid I can’t see me losing too much on it if it has to be moved on.

I think every mm matters at the wide and and whilst they'll matter a little less in the 35/45/50mm range than at a wider focal length they may still matter to the pickiest among us. Like me :D A couple of things that would tempt me towards one lens in this range rather than another are size and minimum focus distance.

I think when you have limited options you can get used to any focal length. I think once GAS has taken over and you have the full gamut of focal lengths to choose from you’ll veer towards a few favourites where you feel really comfortable with and then notice the subtle differences between small variations.

Recently bought a sigma 24mm from Livin The Dream and really struggled with it at first not having had anything wider than a 50mm for eons but as I had nothing other than the kit lens and the 85mm 1.8 I made a concerted effort to leave it on my A7ii body and have now got used to it and really like it.

Yup.

I would very rarely make a snap decision, unless there's something waaaaay off :D Usually it takes me quite a time to decide if I like a lens and I need to use it for quite a few pictures at different distances and with different compositions, subjects and backgrounds and of course in different lighting too before making my mind up. All this takes time and may partly explain why I rarely sell anything :D

Lovely photos. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs so to speak but are you aware of the dangers of dogs getting close to cows (y)

Yes we live quite rurally, but thanks (y), always careful.

Indeed it does. It will be interesting to see how much the 5mm difference makes between the 50 and 45 from the view of me wanting the 50mm because I grew up with one virtually attached all the time to my old film camera. I could have a played around with the kit zoom to see but the purchase yesterday was a bit of a spontaneous thing which I sometimes need to do to stop me getting ”purchase inertia” from trying to weigh up too many options and variables. At the price paid I can’t see me losing too much on it if it has to be moved on.

used to own a Contax G 45mm f2 which was beautiful little lens but in the end I just didn't gel with it very much. Tbh I prefer the slightly longer options like 55mm or old 58mm lenses. So obviously the shorter 45mm didn't quite work. You could be different :)

@snerkler These young bullocks can be a bit rowdy/confident and very used to people & dogs with a busy footpath going through their field. My dog Madge has always attracted cows, the moment we walk in a field they always surround her give her a sniff etc, while other dogs are of no interest to them. Thankfully I'm confident around them as being surrounded by so many would I'm sure freak some people out. One licked my ear when I was laying down taking the above shots, which was erm, slippery lol

@snerkler These young bullocks can be a bit rowdy/confident and very used to people & dogs with a busy footpath going through their field. My dog Madge has always attracted cows, the moment we walk in a field they always surround her give her a sniff etc, while other dogs are of no interest to them. Thankfully I'm confident around them as being surrounded by so many would I'm sure freak some people out. One licked my ear when I was laying down taking the above shots, which was erm, slippery lol
Cool, obviously you know what you're doing so apologies for bringing it up. The photos are truly lovely

Obviously some don't know how dangerous cows can be, there's been a couple of attacks on dogs I've heard of since lockdown was slightly lifted, and then there was the elderly gentleman that was killed last week in Yorkshire :(

Last edited:
Cool, obviously you know what you're doing so apologies for bringing it up. The photos are truly lovely

Obviously some don't know how dangerous cows can be, there's been a couple of attacks on dogs I've heard of since lockdown was slightly lifted, and then there was the elderly gentleman that was killed last week in Yorkshire :(

No need for apologies mate. You're right they can be very dangerous. The only thing you have to watch with this herd is the randy buggers trying to mount each other which causes a little commotion. Even young ones like these are heavy, powerful animals and you're right to make people aware.

FWIW I think the Sony 50 f1.8 is optically better (in terms of crispness and contrast, especially wide open) than the Sammy 45. 50 is also definitely my preferred FL too, 45 feeling too wide & 55 a little too narrow.

I took delivery of the Sony Zeiss 50mm F1.4 last week. Amazing piece of glass! I now have 3 50mm lenses - EF50L, FE50/1.8 and Zeiss 50mm F1.4. :eek:

AF and sharpness wise Zeiss wins.
I really like the rendering of 50L.
Size wise FE50/1.8

Which to keep.... Or sell them all and try reacquire FE55 I stupidly sold :facepalm:

No need for apologies mate. You're right they can be very dangerous. The only thing you have to watch with this herd is the randy buggers trying to mount each other which causes a little commotion. Even young ones like these are heavy, powerful animals and you're right to make people aware.

My Husky isn't a fan of cows, there are some in a field by the beach/coastal walk we take and sometimes they are right down at the fence just a few feet of the path and he has a discussion with them. I think he sees them as only Sirloin or Rib Eye's lol. He is best friends with a Black and White cat, goes over and licks it and all but there is a ginger tabby cat he sees and its world war 3!

Animals are fascinating creatures!

I took delivery of the Sony Zeiss 50mm F1.4 last week. Amazing piece of glass! I now have 3 50mm lenses - EF50L, FE50/1.8 and Zeiss 50mm F1.4. :eek:

Size wise FE50/1.8

Which to keep.... Or sell them all and try reacquire FE55 I stupidly sold :facepalm:

I keep wanting another Sammy 50 f1.4 for the rendering, but for now I'm going to stick with the 55 and enjoy the small size & lack of weight.

Size wise FE50/1.8

A long time back a friend offered me his Zeiss 50 1.4, he had decided to drop down to the 55 for the weight savings and let me borrow the Zeiss for a while. I had only just gotten the 55 at the time and ran the two side by side for a few weddings. The Zeiss is a nice lens and seems well regarded, I wasn't blown away by it though, which I need to be to warrant the extra weight and cost difference, so I ended up not buying it and keeping my 55. The 55 is more useful to me just because of the size and weight difference.

I know a few wedding guys who love the Zeiss, they tend to be those that don't use an 85 or longer for portraits though and they use the 50 for that,

Hi, To move along a little from actual lenses.
Where do you buy the Camo for the 200-600mm G lens in the UK?
I have seen some at silly prices and realize you only get what you pay for.

Thankyou,
Russ.

I keep wanting another Sammy 50 f1.4 for the rendering, but for now I'm going to stick with the 55 and enjoy the small size & lack of weight.

I do hear it renders nicely and is actually a bright lens i.e. has better transmission than Sony/Sigma versions. But AF scares me away.

A long time back a friend offered me his Zeiss 50 1.4, he had decided to drop down to the 55 for the weight savings and let me borrow the Zeiss for a while. I had only just gotten the 55 at the time and ran the two side by side for a few weddings. The Zeiss is a nice lens and seems well regarded, I wasn't blown away by it though, which I need to be to warrant the extra weight and cost difference, so I ended up not buying it and keeping my 55. The 55 is more useful to me just because of the size and weight difference.

I know a few wedding guys who love the Zeiss, they tend to be those that don't use an 85 or longer for portraits though and they use the 50 for that,

It seems to be a nice lens. Renders nicely too. Much prefer it to Sigma ART.
I am still not decided between FE55 and Zeiss 50. I might "drop down" myself at some point. But I think I will keep this over the EF 50L and FE 50/1.8.
Tbh I still regret selling my mint FE55 :(

Back